• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone Review Thread

Majestad

Banned
I just went back to finish DAI after taking a break for close to a year and I actually prefer the combat to Witcher 3's.

There's much more variety to it and it actually remains difficult on higher difficulties. It's not as actioney but that's not really a minus in my books. The AI is a little too dumb though.

Are you gonna show up to every Witcher thread in existence? Seriously dude, I see you complaining all the time. Is kinda funny.

Corpekata

Banned
Are you gonna show up to every Witcher thread in existence? Seriously dude, I see you complaining all the time. Is kinda funny.

Your defensiveness is pretty funny too. Guy isn't even complaining about Witcher 3 there, simply responding to the ridiculous Dragon Age is the worst eva! circle jerk.

RoKKeR

So is there any sort of "prep" that has to happen before someone plays this expansion? I finished the main quest at like level 32 and haven't played the game much after doing so, no new game plus or anything like that. Is there a minimum level or will it scale?

MacBosse

So when is this realeased? I just bought the season pass, mostly to throw more monies at CDRP since they just deserve it.

PFD

So when is this realeased? I just bought the season pass, mostly to throw more monies at CDRP since they just deserve it.

Monday night

I just went back to finish DAI after taking a break for close to a year and I actually prefer the combat to Witcher 3's.

There's much more variety to it and it actually remains difficult on higher difficulties. It's not as actioney but that's not really a minus in my books. The AI is a little too dumb though.

I'm currently playing the Trespasser DLC, and I'm having a hard time adjusting to the dialogue in that game after Witcher 3

I'm currently playing the Trespasser DLC, and I'm having a hard time adjusting to the dialogue in that game after Witcher 3

Oh that's night and day DAI has just awful dialogue and I really don't know what they did with the faces of many of the characters. Gonna get the trespasser DLC soon but still have to play through with my canon playthrough which I stopped playing because Knight Enchanter was completely broken. They fixed Knight Enchanter's brokenness but now instead of being boring because it's too easy it's boring because lightsaber is pretty awful.

I still like the game and put over a hundred hours into it, I read all the books and played all the games but the adventure. Witcher 3 is the far superior game from an objective viewpoint but that doesn't mean DAI is trash nor that you can't like both.

Witcher 3 has a fair share of problems though imo. None that detract from it being an amazing game but nonetheless stuff I'll complain about since I think it could have been done better and TW3 would be an even better game for it.

valkyre

Guys can someone explain something about the dlc to me?

Once you start Hearts of Stone are you locked into it? Meaning you are not able to go and do main game quests and explore the world, just the DLC stuff?

Also is it recommended to start with your original game save or NG+?

I am asking because atm i am in the middle of my NG+ and i dont know which save to use for the DLC.

Thanks

Denton

Once you start Hearts of Stone are you locked into it? Meaning you are not able to go and do main game quests and explore the world, just the DLC stuff?

I am asking because atm i am in the middle of my NG+ and i dont know which save to use for the DLC.

Thanks

I doubt you will be locked into anything, considering the DLC takes place in the main game's world (albeit expanded). There might be some locations that you will need to get out of first, obviously.

You can play with original save (level 30 recommended) or NG+ save (level 60 recommended). Or you can use the save the game will supply you.

Karl Hawk

Banned

Thanks

The expansion is a standalone story meaning that you can play it at anytime (be it during the main quest or post-main quest).

I'm not sure if you are locked from the main quest while you are playing the expansion, so sorry, can't help you that. Since Witcher 3 is still open-world, it means you can still the explore the world (even the newly expanded parts of the map) while playing Hearts of Stone.

Recommended level for the expansion is 30 for NG and 60 for NG+, so if you are too far away from level 60 during your NG+ playthrough, I'd say you're better off doing the expansion on your original save.

Karl Hawk

Banned
i tried New Game plus but the game seems boring when you're not gaining experience and unlocking abilities.

Actually, you do level up and unlock abilities in NG+. In my NG+ playthrough, I stopped at Kaer Morhen and managed to get to level 54 and add some points to talent skills.

aravuus

You can do the HoS quest any time, right? I've taken a short break from TW3 and I figured I should probably do HoS before finishing the main quest. I tend to lose all interest in a game after I finish the main storyline/quest line for some reason.

e: lol question answered only three posts above me. Thanks Harl harl kawk kawk.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking forward to more Witcher, I'm about 150 hours deep so far and it has to be GOTY for me. The devs have been amazing post release as well.

Karl Hawk

Banned
You can do the HoS quest any time, right? I've taken a short break from TW3 and I figured I should probably do HoS before finishing the main quest. I tend to lose all interest in a game after I finish the main storyline/quest line for some reason.

e: lol question answered only three posts above me. Thanks Harl harl kawk kawk.

Heh, you're welcome.

Although I'm a bit dismayed having to install new versions of mods again lol.

Gamespot said:
There's a point when a character whistles the boss fight music. And just when you're sure one such encounter is coming, he walks away to that haunting tune, without so much as a fistfight. This is what Hearts of Stone does best. It takes our expectations and runs with them.

This sounds awesome.

wrowa

I just bought the Limited Edition at a local retailer and as expected the download is not yet working. However while trying to redeem the code I saw a funny reference: The download code is valid until 13th October ... 2077.

Zolo

I'd love to, but I'm not sure if I'm up to the task.

This would be my first OT if I took my chance, but I don't wanna fuck it up

First OT to be a small expansion for a game? Sounds like a good opportunity at trying to me if you want to give it a shot.

I'd bought the physical edition of Hearts of Stone, and didn't realise until I was skimming the PSN how bloody cheap the digital version was here. I love Bioware to bits (and I know Bioware is also under EA), but the last DAI DLC cost double the price for 1/10 of the content. I don't think I've seen a story DLC at that price ($12.55?) for years, let alone one of such high quality. Hell, most clothing DLCs are generally $2 - $5.

Holy shit, CDPR. Wow. How? Thank you? I'll send you a kangaroo as thanks, you'll love it! (The kangaroo, however, may not.)

I'd bought the physical edition of Hearts of Stone, and didn't realise until I was skimming the PSN how bloody cheap the digital version was here. I love Bioware to bits (and I know Bioware is also under EA), but the last DAI DLC cost double the price for 1/10 of the content. I don't think I've seen a story DLC at that price ($12.55?) for years, let alone one of such high quality. Hell, most clothing DLCs are generally $2 - $5.

Holy shit, CDPR. Wow. How? Thank you? I'll send you a kangaroo as thanks, you'll love it! (The kangaroo, however, may not.)

Yup! Even the pre-order for it on PSN was $8.

Coreda

I'd love to, but I'm not sure if I'm up to the task.

This would be my first OT if I took my chance, but I don't wanna fuck it up

Go for it if you want. I have the official resources if you need some assets.

Almost every OT made on GAF has at least half a dozen posters saying it's awesome no matter what it looks like :)

Karl Hawk

Banned
First OT to be a small expansion for a game? Sounds like a good opportunity at trying to me if you want to give it a shot.

Go for it if you want. I have the official resources if you need some assets.

Almost every OT made on GAF has at least half a dozen posters saying it's awesome no matter what it looks like :)

Alright.

Any title recommendations? I like '|'OT| Get Your Shani On'' as a title, but I'd like to see your suggestions.

PFD

One more day... wake me up when it's out

resizedpfjmt.jpg

The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone (Expansion) |OT| Cold steel and a warm hearth

?

It's the best I can come up with aside from "Move aside Triss, there's a new redhead in town!"

less than 4 GBs, I suspect the patch did actually include part of the code for the expansion

I think you are right! If you look in the top right corner of the Velen/Novigrad world map you can see a bunch of new areas. On top of that if you try to go to those locations the game doesn't allow you, first having Geralt comment on the distance then sending you to the world map. Once you back out of the world map, Geralt is facing the opposite direction away from the new locations. Another interesting thing is that you used to be able to access those areas you no longer can. So I think some of the assets must be there.

Ricker

So is there any sort of "prep" that has to happen before someone plays this expansion? I finished the main quest at like level 32 and haven't played the game much after doing so, no new game plus or anything like that. Is there a minimum level or will it scale?

You will be fine,they suggest level 30...and the ridiculous 17 GB patch.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Birthday on Tuesday. Don't know whether I want to attempt playing this when drunk
KuGsj.gif

Probably leave it until Wednesday

I think you are right! If you look in the top right corner of the Velen/Novigrad world map you can see a bunch of new areas. On top of that if you try to go to those locations the game doesn't allow you, first having Geralt comment on the distance then sending you to the world map. Once you back out of the world map, Geralt is facing the opposite direction away from the new locations. Another interesting thing is that you used to be able to access those areas you no longer can. So I think some of the assets must be there.

I haven't crossed the Pontar yet so I hadn't noticed. Looks like a decent amount of new land and settlements as well. I wonder if you only need level 30 to start the questline or if the area itself is inaccessible until then?

Top Bottom