• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interfectum

After a lot of time with the game I still think the controls are horrendous, at least on PS4. I'm loving pretty much every other aspect but the controls, holy shit they are bad and I feel like I'm fighting with them to enjoy the game sometimes.

The movement just feels sticky - Geralt goes from 0 to 100 real quick when you touch the stick, but turning or changing direction makes him take his sweet time and the camera sometimes has a different idea about where to go. And combat... I'm sure it's been brought up a million times at this point, but when I press an attack button in a video game I expect the character to attack, not jog a few steps, wind up, and then attack.

Still loving the game overall but this stuff is not getting any better as time goes on.

I'm in the same boat. I love the game but man the controls are really bringing me down.

When you go inside a building, couple that with your witcher vision and... jesus it feels like I'm a drunk, knee deep in quicksand stumbling around with zoomed in vision. Not fun.

Yes. Try reading them :p
It's a general notice board people put all kinds of shit on them.

Oh yeah I've read all of them. I was expecting some of them to have something in the world tied to them. Like the Nilfgaardian lessons. I thought learning the language might have some effects later on but I guess not.

Greddleok

Stick to the storyline till you level up at least to lvl 2, depending on your difficulty level.

I tried that, I got the griffon quest, but it recommends me to be level 3, and I'm currently only 1. I thought I should go about and do some side quests to help, but they give barely any XP.

Staf

Finally back from work, time to go Witchering! Been mainly leveling up signs so far, mainly Axii, thinking of putting some points into crossbow. Seems like a good match. Is it possible to respec if this combo ends up sucking?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
While I didn't expect the game to be Skyrim I do feel the world is pretty "static". Only choices I can do are within dialogue which makes it feel a bit "gamey". I wish I was able to attack and kill anyone whenever I want and have consequences for such actions. Something else thats bothering me is that the time of day mostly seem to be a visual thing (outside of a few monsters who only appear during night / day and such). Why is it that all NPCs in town are constantly up, shops are open 24/7 and generally they always stand in the same spot. I really wished NPC's had their "own lives" and went about their day, went to sleep, woke up etc.

Hmm, I've definitely seen NPCs doing different things depending on the time of day in the first town. Out during the day, indoors eating and stuff in the evening, and then asleep in their beds at night. These were just random NPCs though, not important ones like vendors and blacksmiths. Don't know if they ever go to bed.

I'm in the same boat. I love the game but man the controls are really bringing me down.

When you go inside a building, couple that with your witcher vision and... jesus it feels like I'm a drunk, knee deep in quicksand stumbling around with zoomed in vision. Not fun.

Yeah I feel you. That fisheye lens does not help at all.

So I played it for a proper amount of time tonight, and I'm finally getting used to combat and using spells etc., but still very much figuring things out. I would just like to echo what others are saying though about how weird/stiff Geralt feels to control.

Found some guy trapped in a cage by bandits on my way to Velen. Couldn't find the key after killing everyone and looting everything so now he lives there :(

I suck at gwent.

danowat

Banned
I tried that, I got the griffon quest, but it recommends me to be level 3, and I'm currently only 1. I thought I should go about and do some side quests to help, but they give barely any XP.

Until you actually
fight the griffon, there is nothing to trouble you at lvl 1, heck you get 500XP, which is enough to level up from just finding the Griffons nest.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This inventory crash bug is infuriating. I'm lenient with huge RPGs like this because they have been, and always will be, buggy at launch. But something like this is inexcusable and practically game breaking.

After a lot of time with the game I still think the controls are horrendous, at least on PS4. I'm loving pretty much every other aspect but the controls, holy shit they are bad and I feel like I'm fighting with them to enjoy the game sometimes.

The movement just feels sticky - Geralt goes from 0 to 100 real quick when you touch the stick, but turning or changing direction makes him take his sweet time and the camera sometimes has a different idea about where to go. And combat... I'm sure it's been brought up a million times at this point, but when I press an attack button in a video game I expect the character to attack, not jog a few steps, wind up, and then attack.

Still loving the game overall but this stuff is not getting any better as time goes on.
I've only played a couple of hours but I agree with you so far. Everything feels floaty and unresponsive. I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm coming off of 100 hours with Bloodborne either.

I really like the game otherwise so I'm hoping I adapt with time.

Lunar15

This inventory crash bug is infuriating. I'm lenient with huge RPGs like this because they have been, and always will be, buggy at launch. But something like this is inexcusable and practically game breaking.

Game needs a few more patches before I can feel comfortable playing again, to be honest.

But I can wait. One of my favorite RPG's is Fallout: New Vegas, and we can all remember what a shit show that was.

Rixxan

this thread has an interesting dynamic

its like people seem to love the game, but at the same time they seem to hate quite a bit about the game

bloodborne was non stop praise and the thread moved insanely fast, is it because this game is so sprawling and massive people dont even have time to post? lol

yeah man i had to repeat so many sections last night and i only had a couple hours of game time, so frustrating

LProtag

I think I just encouraged a guy to keep up being resistance fighters, and then randomly came upon his camp whereupon he attacked me and I killed him. Whoops.

I've only played a couple of hours but I agree with you so far. Everything feels floaty and unresponsive. I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm coming off of 100 hours with Bloodborne either.

I really like the game otherwise so I'm hoping I adapt with time.

I feel like everyone complaining about the controls is coming off of Bloodborne, haha.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

Are you on PC? I haven't crashed yet, and I'm really scared that I'm going to start crashing.

GTX780 & i7 4790k

RipeFarAmericancicada.gif

I've noticed jumping rolling seems to climb great heights.

I feel like everyone complaining about the controls is coming off of Bloodborne, haha.
It's true! BB has some of my favorite combat in an action RPG ever so it was always going to be difficult for the next game to measure up. That said, I think TW3 controls even worse than something like Dragon Age: Inquisition, at least after a few hours with it.

Anung

Un Rama
I've download the armour set and hair styles. The new hair stuff is at the barber but where do I get the new armour from?

Not sure what your platform is, but these crashes stopped for me on PC when I quit using GOG Galaxy to launch the game. The lack of achievements is a bit of a bummer, but hey, no crashes!

You're probably right, fwiw i've come straight from Bloodborne but obviously this is a different game completely so it's just learning how this one plays, that's part of the fun for me, i've never played a Witcher game and have pretty much no idea what i'm doing at the moment but for me that's part of the fun!

The only complaint I have so far is i got the PS4 Gwent pass bug so I just played that game without passing 2nd time round, it's no big deal to me in the grand scheme of things, a game this size is always going to have bugs to iron out.

sTiTcH AU

So for anybody who is on xbox one. Don't use suspect/resume with this game. Its glitched and will not allow you to save the game even manually. I have just found out and have been playing for hours now. I may not bother with this game anymore. I am far beyond pissed off.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Are you on PC? I haven't crashed yet, and I'm really scared that I'm going to start crashing.

PC. i5 @ 4.3, GTX 970, 8GB RAM. It's the only significant bug I've had, except for driver crashes which haven't happened since I left White Orchard.

Is this only affecting a few people? Haven't heard of this bug before.

Might be only a few, but there's definitely others. Basically using the game menu, especially browsing your inventory, runs a high risk of locking up the game. Weirdly does not seem to happen in stores. But yeah, I have to save before I open my inventory to equip stuff or read notes because I know if I linger in it too long it will, guaranteed, crash.
Not sure what your platform is, but these crashes stopped for me on PC when I quit using GOG Galaxy to launch the game. The lack of achievements is a bit of a bummer, but hey, no crashes!

Did you have the inventory crash? I'm on Steam, but maybe something like Steam overlay is the culprit.

Exentryk

Started playing this tonight, and just spent a good 2-3 hours with my PC version!

What an absolutely gorgeous game! The visuals, the atmosphere, the characters, the dialogues... it's all coming together to make this an incredible experience.

I started the game on Death March, and you can really feel each and every single enemy hit. But it's not so hard that it'd be completely unplayable. There is food to heal you, and you have to take your time with the enemies instead of just button mash. I am liking the combat system so far. It feels like this dance with the opponents, you have to anticipate their moves, evade, then strike. Add on to that signs and bombs, it certainly makes for an interesting system. I haven't delved into alchemy yet, but I am still in that first area (
in that tavern
).

Also, Gwent seems to be pretty interesting. I can see the amount of depth it might have if there are lots of cards. Building 4 decks will certainly take some time, but since I enjoyed what I played of that one game, I think it will be a rewarding experience. Gotta collect 'em all!

Tech aspects - the game is running well for me on a single overclocked GTX 980. It's all between 45-60 fps (mostly 60) at 1080p with everything Ultra (except high foliage distance and high shadows) and with Hairworks and HBAO+ on (CA was off). I like the Hair effects, even though it does tank that locked 60 fps frame rate to around 45 when a scene zooms in on Geralt's hair. Still, 40+ fps is really smooth for me, and I can't really tell the difference. I haven't had any crashes either.
The only issue that I can mention is the really small font size. I am playing with my PC hooked up to my HDTV, and even though I have moved closer to the TV, I am still having trouble reading stuff. So I really hope CDPR can give us larger font sizes. I would love to read through the glossary then.

Anyway. Looking forward to playing more tomorrow! The next two months are going to be gaming nirvana! :D

how do you heal in battle ? Im in a story related dungeon and it drags on forever. I'm level 3. I cant heal beside meditation between battles but it's an endless series of boss battle and event. I have no way to regenerate life in battle ? It's very frustrating.

Beefy

The Witcher sense actually makes me feel a little ill. I don't have a clue why tho.

Yeef

I'm glad that they put all this other stuff in this Gwent game. It really adds to the backstory and flavor of Gwent. Confused why they called it "The Witcher" instead of "The Gwent Adventures," but then, I'm not in marketing, so what do i know?

Gwent Gwent Gwent Gwent Gwent

Skulldead

I find the game super hard and random. Movement are janky and imprecise.

Did Bloodborne spoiled me or am I just missing something ?

Not alone it seem, i find the combat to feel heavy, no real feedback of my block and hit really hurt the experience for me. But I'm still just 4 hour in so...

Kinthalis

Banned
how do you heal in battle ? Im in a story related dungeon and it drags on forever. I'm level 3. I cant heal beside meditation between battles but it's an endless series of boss battle and event. I have no way to regenerate life in battle ? It's very frustrating.

Food/potions.

Aces&Eights

Food should be in your inventory. Hit up on dpad to consume it.

CHC

this thread has an interesting dynamic

its like people seem to love the game, but at the same time they seem to hate quite a bit about the game

bloodborne was non stop praise and the thread moved insanely fast, is it because this game is so sprawling and massive people dont even have time to post? lol

I think it's because all the jank takes a while to get used to. There's definitely a great game underneath but I think people were expecting super-AAA levels of polish and the game is not quite at that level. Gerald's movement is all wonky, combat is hard to get used to, some weird bugs, etc.

So I think the presentation is distracting people to a degree. Like I said there is a great game here it just needs a little tightening up.

IKizzLE

Not alone it seem, i find the combat to feel heavy, no real feedback of my block and hit really hurt the experience for me. But I'm still just 4 hour in so...
Yup....not a fan of the combat or movement in the game. Everything feels heavy and delayed, like I'm fighting underwater. I've died plenty of times because the shotty and slow lock on system.

Grady

Dude, i am getting wrecked by those green monsters by the water. I cant parry the attacks and just end up randomly rolling around all frantically. Playing on death march and plan to finish the game on it. I want that platinum. This will take me all summer though. The most basic encounters are destroying me though. So hard to dodge.

Chariot

Wow, wtf. I just the game freeze twice in a row after I won a game of gwent. Had to restart the complete computer everytime. And now Steam doesn't even recognize that I have Witcher installed. Every other game is there and the folder is still filled. The hell.

void666

Banned
So far i fought at least 3 different enemies that used the same strategy. Teleport behind me and attack. It's annoying. I mean, it's easy to dodge. But the camera goes nuts. I can't lock on and end up trying to attack enemies off screen.

Aces&Eights

I think it's because all the jank takes a while to get used to. There's definitely a great game underneath but I think people were expecting super-AAA levels of polish and the game is not quite at that level. Gerald's movement is all wonky, combat is hard to get used to, some weird bugs, etc.

So I think the presentation is distracting people to a degree. Like I said there is a great game here it just needs a little tightening up.

Agreed. People are coming off bloodborne and ds2 so they can be experiencing some controls adjustments. I see the great game that lies beneath, just need to get used to this new world to enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom