• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

woen

Ok. Who the fuck thought it was funny to make crafting materials and items so heavy?

Is there somewhere I can store my unnecessary stuff? Or what is safe to sell? Or do I simply have to dismantle it so it weighs less?

I heard you can drop them anywhere and pick them up when you want afterward since there's no big storage available (like Skyrim houses).

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm still not sure, because it says Steel for humans and non humans. Silver for Monsters. Are beasts monsters, or non humans?

Ahh, sick. Thanks.

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought it meant silver for anything that isn't human. Maybe silver is only for certain creatures. I'll need to check that out when I go back. Sorry for any confusion!

That is an insult to FROM, in my opinion. Their combat is designed much better.

I'm the biggest Fromsoft fan there is, and I find the combat in TW3 satisfying. On Death March difficulty, enemies can kill you in a few hits and die in a few hits. The only way to survive is by back/sidestepping, rolling away, or parrying at the exact right moment. I'd say that's pretty similar to Soulsborne. Granted it's not quite as fluid or responsive as Souls, but it's still pretty damn good in my opinion. I really don't understand the complaints about the combat.

What's the deal with these long, unskippable motion-comic-y cutscenes when I load a save? Is there an option in the menu to turn them off? I've hit every button on my controller and keyboard and there doesn't seem to be any way past them, and I've had them last a good 30-40 seconds whereas normal load times seem to be around 10 seconds (installed on an SSD).

epmode

The combat's obviously not as tight as Dark Souls or Bloodborne but it's pretty great for an RPG of this scope. It's infinitely more engaging than Skyrim, for instance. I like the focus on positionimg in group fights.
What's the deal with these long, unskippable motion-comic-y cutscenes when I load a save? Is there an option in the menu to turn them off? I've hit every button on my controller and keyboard and there doesn't seem to be any way past them, and I've had them last a good 30-40 seconds whereas normal load times seem to be around 10 seconds (installed on an SSD).

The cutscenes behave as load screens for me. They fade out in the middle once the game is ready to go. PC on SSD here.

Panda Rin

Yeah, those comic cutscenes serve as a loading screen as well.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Silver sword is for any supernatural looking Monster. Like a drowner/griffin, etc.

Steel Sword is for any human, or animal/beast. Like a dog/bear, etc.

I'm the biggest Fromsoft fan there is, and I find the combat in TW3 satisfying. On Death March difficulty, enemies can kill you in a few hits and die in a few hits. The only way to survive is by back/sidestepping, rolling away, or parrying at the exact right moment. I'd say that's pretty similar to Soulsborne. Granted it's not quite as fluid or responsive as Souls, but it's still pretty damn good in my opinion. I really don't understand the complaints about the combat.
To be fair I've only played a couple of hours and I think the combat will grow on me over time. I just don't think it's going to feel as tight or responsive as combat in a Soulsborne game, which is kind of the main draw of those games. When I die in Bloodborne for instance I always know what I did wrong and I'm happy to go give it another shot. After dying to some weak enemies a few times in TW3 on the highest difficulty I just felt frustrated and knocked it down a notch.

It just doesn't feel reliable or responsive enough but perhaps that will change with time.

The combat's obviously not as tight as Dark Souls or Bloodborne but it's pretty great for an RPG of this scope. It's infinitely more engaging than Skyrim, for instance. I like the focus on positionimg in group fights.
I definitely agree with this. I don't think the combat in TW3 is bad so far, just not quite as refined as I'd like.

Exuro

For me the combat really started to click when I used sidestepping instead of rolling. Made it a lot quicker too, as you had more time to attack without consequence. I'm wondering if people aren't doing that and are instead rolling around to dodge. Not saying the combat is From quality, but I haven't found it to be bad.

Guys, the Witcher games are hard. They've always been hard. To the point that playing them on easy still represents a challenge.

I would suggest those of you having trouble with combat and movement drop the difficulty until you start to feel comfortable with the way the game moves.

Lots of you are coming off 100s of hours of various souls games with their very specific movement pattern. This is not your daddies Souls game.

there's a world of difference between a game being hard/challenging because it's tough but fair, & a game being hard/challenging because it's janky/klunky. for a 40+ hour rpg, if the game looks interesting, i'm ready to try dealing with the former. but, unlike some, i'm not ready to try to accommodate for built-in jank/clunk for 40+ hours in order to enjoy all there is in the game that isn't messed up... well, not at full price, anyway :) ...

almost got this yesterday. really appreciate the feedback from everyone regarding the combat, which'd never looked quite right to me in videos...

Gbraga

RipeFarAmericancicada.gif

I've noticed jumping rolling seems to climb great heights.

Oh, I'm having some fun with that today.

epmode

For me the combat really started to click when I used sidestepping instead of rolling.

This was true for me. Use dodging when you really have to move but sidestepping is better in most cases. It has a nice habit of turning you to face your target as well.

NoWayOut

This game is so satisfying on Death March... feels like a harder version of a FROM game but with an amazing story.. loving this.

Not even close! I wish combat was as smooth and responsive as in the Souls and BB games, but it's not. It's not terrible, but it's not great either.

Fortunately, the rest of the gameplay makes up for the somewhat lackluster combat system.

To be fair I've only played a couple of hours and I think the combat will grow on me over time. I just don't think it's going to feel as tight or responsive as combat in a Soulsborne game, which is kind of the main draw of those games. When I die in Bloodborne for instance I always know what I did wrong and I'm happy to go give it another shot. After dying to some weak enemies a few times in TW3 on the highest difficulty I just felt frustrated and knocked it down a notch.

It just doesn't feel reliable or responsive enough but perhaps that will change with time.

I definitely agree with this. I don't think the combat in TW3 is bad so far, just not quite as refined as I'd like.

I felt the same at first. I died in the first fight of the game like 4 times. But just like with Soulsborne, I got gud over time. The only way I die in combat now (on the highest difficulty mind you) is if I get careless. If I mistime a dodge or parry, I'm going to take some heavy damage. Even fighting groups of enemies above my level is ok, but messing up = death more than likely. The same things can be said for Souls games! Anyway, I'm enjoying it alot.

aravuus

This is the EXACT reason i fucking HATED the witcher two. You just answered the questions I had about this game. Now i know for a fact that i wont be picking this up since those same issues i had with two are still in the game.

I hated the Witcher 2 combat with passion too for the same reason, and while some of that is present in TW3, it's not nearly as bad. Just saying.

TW2 had shit tier combat, TW3 is actually genuinely fun so far. And it's not just the hype or the honeymoon phase or whatever.

BraXzy

So I've hardly touched quests in the game so far.. Like I literally got to the inn and then went exploring. I just took down a level 6 bear I found on the outskirts of the zone, died on my first try but beat it on my second :D

I'm on the third hardest difficulty and it feels about right. If you take your time you can manage difficult things, get sloppy and you die. It at least let me get accustomed to combat.

KorrZ

I feel like ragging on TW3 for it's combat when comparing it to the BEST action RPG combat out there is a bit unfair. Compared to the vast majority of RPGs out there, TW3s combat is actually quite good. TW3 excels in other areas that Bloodborne doesn't even come close to, mainly, the actual RPG mechanics.

The cutscenes behave as load screens for me. They fade out in the middle once the game is ready to go. PC on SSD here.

Really, so they're meant to be like that? I assumed it was something that needed patching, because they take such a long ass time for me. I haven't experimented with it properly, but when I was going up against a group of bandits and getting murdered over and over, I'd swear the game was loading back up in about 10-15 seconds when I hit the 'Reload from last save' prompt, but when I manually load a save it takes at least twice as long.

I felt the same at first. I died in the first fight of the game like 4 times. But just like with Soulsborne, I got gud over time. The only way I die in combat now (on the highest difficulty mind you) is if I get careless. If I mistime a dodge or parry, I'm going to take some heavy damage. Even fighting groups of enemies above my level is ok, but messing up = death more than likely. The same things can be said for Souls games! Anyway, I'm enjoying it alot.
I just feel like Souls games do a better job of communicating why you did something wrong, mostly with animations and responsive controls. I have already had some instances in TW3 where I feel like a button press isn't registering quickly enough or a strike doesn't connect when it seems like it should have. Hopefully it's all just part of adjusting, we'll see.

Chitown B

in. First Witcher game I've played though I own the other two since they were super cheap on sale recently. Just pretty much started.

Vashetti

Banned
Loading times after dying are unforgiveable on PS4, as well as random loading for seconds-long cutscenes, loading through fast-travel, etc. So bad that I would rather quit the game than sit through them.

Stuttering in cutscenes, framerate drops all over the place, popping - it all just feels horribly unoptimised. If they already had to delay it and this was deemed acceptable to release, then I dread to think how the game was pre-delay.

Musings:
- loot system needs to be improved, wandering around a corpse to find the specific area to get the "Loot X" prompt to appear is not fun
- same with mounting Roach, walking around him in circles pressing/holding X is frustrating
- NPCs saying "follow me/I'll lead the way" and then just loitering around is terrible, I may as well just run ahead because they're so slow, and then they speed up
- checkpoint/auto-save during missions is awful; dying, sitting through a 30 second loading screen to find you're miles behind is an instant mood killer
- parrying/dodging sometimes simply doesn't work
- audio sometimes doesn't play even though you've hit an enemy and health was taken off
- loads more

I hope they patch all of this because as of now I'm really disappointed. Hype deflated.

cresto

Did anyone else get stuck on the "Family Matters" main quest?

After initially investigating all the rooms and finding the prayer room, it told me to go back up to the bedroom and look for clues. Thing is, I did everything in that room already and tried doing it again with nothing changing. Spoke to the Barron and he explained the wine, but then the quest doesn't progress. In between, I helped the little girl from Ciri's flash back find the spinning top, did doing that effectively break the quest?

Do I have to do other quests in order to move this one forward? I was getting incredibly frustrated last night

iNvid02

they weren't kidding about the second area being more impressive than white orchard, the ride to the inn was feckin stunning

Yibby

Spam space and you can skip them when the game finished loading.

I just feel like Souls games do a better job of communicating why you did something wrong, mostly with animations and responsive controls. I have already had some instances in TW3 where I feel like a button press isn't registering quickly enough or a strike doesn't connect when it seems like it should have. Hopefully it's all just part of adjusting, we'll see.

I definitely think that'll come with experience. I don't feel that way at all. Every death has been my fault, and I knew the reason why. The only time I find the controls clunky is outside of combat when I'm trying to loot something small on the ground!

Exuro

Loading times after dying are unforgiveable on PS4, as well as random loading for seconds-long cutscenes, loading through fast-travel, etc. So bad that I would rather quit the game than sit through them.

Stuttering in cutscenes, framerate drops all over the place, popping - it all just feels horribly unoptimised. If they already had to delay it and this was deemed acceptable to release, then I dread to think how the game was pre-delay.

Musings:
- loot system needs to be improved, wandering around a corpse to find the specific area to get the "Loot X" prompt to appear is not fun
- same with mounting Roach, walking around him in circles pressing/holding X is frustrating
- NPCs saying "follow me/I'll lead the way" and then just loitering around is terrible, I may as well just run ahead because they're so slow, and then they speed up
- checkpoint/auto-save during missions is awful; dying, sitting through a 30 second loading screen to find you're miles behind is an instant mood killer
- parrying/dodging sometimes simply doesn't work
- audio sometimes doesn't play even though you've hit an enemy and health was taken off
- loads more

I hope they patch all of this because as of now I'm really disappointed. Hype deflated.
How exactly is dodge not working? And for parrying you can only parry against weapon'd enemies. And of those if they use a heavy swing it'll break your parry. In my experience it's a much better and reliable to to side step.

AEREC

What is it about character movement that feels janky in this game...I think W2 was like this as well and I probably got used to it, but it just feels uneven sometimes.

Chitown B

Good to remind you of what you're doing if you've been away awhile. You can skip once it loads.

Side note - I find that camera/movement controls just moving around your character to be way too loose, like if I move slightly everything whips around and he's not going the correct direction anymore. And I've turned down movement too.

I definitely think that'll come with experience. I don't feel that way at all. Every death has been my fault, and I knew the reason why. The only time I find the controls clunky is outside of combat when I'm trying to loot something small on the ground!
That's reassuring. Regardless I am really enjoying what I've seen so far (even the combat) and I'm looking forward to getting back to it.

Respect

Indeed, only played a few hours, but I am starting to warm up to the combat more as I play. For an open world RPG (and comparing it to Skyrim) the combat is great and much better than what most open world games in general have offered.

epmode

This is a feature! They move at your speed in order to prevent the bullshit in other games. Just run alongside them.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anyway to cook your own food? I'm always running out and I'm always low on currency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom