• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

Quick question for someone who hasn't played any Witchery games before... What difficulty should I choose? I have bo qualms with a game being challenging, but with an open world game like this I don't want to get frustrated either...
You can just take any and change when it's too difficult or easy. You can choose the difficulty whenever you like. The second highest difficulty seem to be the sweetspot for a lot of people, so try that first. Personally I play on the second lowest, since I am not that good and I still get my ass kicked sometimes, so it's not necessary a walk in the park. Either way I enjoy the healing by meditation thing.

Maybe I did something wrong, mine ended when I killed the Eternal Fire dude who had the prostitute tied up. Although..on returning to Novigrad there does seem to be some copycat murders going on.

The Eternal Fire guy was innocent although you can still kill him and catch the real killer. Just gotta ask the motive before doing so.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Played a bit yesterday just running around White Orchard. Game is stunning, Geralt controls as you'd expect him to really. The music is phenomenal. Not quite Witcher 2 Flotsam level yet but it's up there.

Now I just gotta finish Witcher 2 :lol. Wish I had my old W2 save that was imported from the first ;/ and in the middle of act 2. I'm just about to go slay me a Kayran

Game runs better than Witcher 2 which is quite a feat!

Majukun

Quick question for someone who hasn't played any Witchery games before... What difficulty should I choose? I have bo qualms with a game being challenging, but with an open world game like this I don't want to get frustrated either...

hard if you want a challenging game and don't fear to have to bring with yourself tons of food to heal yourself..and the occasional bullshit fight where the camera and lock system don't work as advised and you get maimed
if you wanna play a more relaxing game..go with normal (second level of difficulty)...there you heal just by meditating and after the first part the game is much more forgiving in terms of damage you can sustain

Ark

Biggest complaint right now; Novigrad needs a better map. Icons shouldn't come and go, and all the districts and areas should be labeled with lines indicating their boundries when viewing from the map screen. The city is too fucking big.

Definitely agree with this. It's a huge pain in the ass having to remember where the herbalists, inn keeps, etc are. Especially when there are like seven of each.

Majukun

ask again since nobody answered before...do hairworks affect only people and monster's hair or something else?
someone mentioned foliage physics too is affected
I would also like to know this. Can anyone confirm if it effects the relationships?

can't confirm but in multiple places i read that as long as you don't bang both,you are good to go.

Chariot

Tower full of Mice spoiler

Aww, another bitter story about a couple in true love that ended up badly, is what I thought until bittersweet turned into bitterbitter. And seeing that the peller asked me to come to the island and that the wraith is free now, it's not over yet. Gurgl.

Not massively far in, just done the Baron, I've not lost a game of Gwent yet, there is a tactic that seems to work pretty much all the time.

I wish they (or a fan) would make a browser based, or mobile app game of Gwent!

that tactic wont work all the time. you'll see. ive pretty match played everyone in velen and novigrad

Älg

Okay guys, this is driving me mad. Is there any way of knowing how much time there is left on quen? It clearly doesn't last forever, and that little blob that circles Geralt isn't nearly visible enough.

Stoze

Älg;165207279 said:
Okay guys, this is driving me mad. Is there any way of knowing how much time there is left on quen? It clearly doesn't last forever, and that little blob that circles Geralt isn't nearly visible enough.

It's 30 seconds, not sure if there are any skills or gear that increases the time though. And no, there's no in-game meter or timer as far as I know.

Want to share some well-duh moments during my game last night:

I was mucking around in Velen, chasing chicken and shit when I stumbled upon a cave, it was dark so I used Cat (I prefer Cat to torch because it makes me feel safer knowing that the enemies can't quite see me as well as I see them with Cat), spotted a tons of Ghouls inside eating some corpses. So being a good witcher that I am, I slightly backed out, applied my enhanced necrophage oil on my silver blade, equipped my enhanced grapeshot, knocked down a Swallow potion too because I just fell from above and got severely hurt.

So the moment to attack came, just before I plunged into the crowd I apply Quen, then quickly switched to Igni, aimed my bomb and released.

The bomb fucking decimated all the ghouls, blew them to bits, all of them. I was left quite stunned because how easy it turnt out.

Apparently that cave tied to a quest, which I seriously overlevel.

End. :p

Grady

Älg;165207279 said:

The controller vibrates when it runs out. At that point use it again.

Maybe I did something wrong, mine ended when I killed the Eternal Fire dude who had the prostitute tied up. Although..on returning to Novigrad there does seem to be some copycat murders going on.

It's not him, he's just an asshole. The actual killer frames him because he knows you'll catch him doing what he's doing.

tuxfool

Banned
Hate the fact that enemies shoot arrows through trees. That's downright broken. Bums me out that they didn't implement basic line of sight and collision detection for projectiles.

On the other hand it is awesome that they have friendly fire. I was in the middle of a fight and a pirate shot and killed his own comrade.

veidi

you shouldnt do that again since the loot in treasures scales with your level. you could have found much more powrful stuff if you waited

This would mean I should do some Mainquests first, cause they give more XP -> therefore higher level earlier. Afterwards do the sidequests for better loot =D

Didn´t knew that, but I am only level 5 yet.

zkorejo

ask again since nobody answered before...do hairworks affect only people and monster's hair or something else?
someone mentioned foliage physics too is affected

can't confirm but in multiple places i read that as long as you don't bang both,you are good to go.

I see.. Thanks for letting me know.

boskee

Man, if this level of quality is indicative of how they'll manage Cyberpunk 2077 then you can consider me already hyped.

To paraphrase Danny O'Dwyer: "If they pull off what they have in mind for Cyberpunk 2077, it will make Witcher 3 look like garbage in comparison".

Forkball

Want to share some well-duh moments during my game last night:

I was mucking around in Velen, chasing chicken and shit when I stumbled upon a cave, it was dark so I used Cat (I prefer Cat to torch because it makes me feel safer knowing that the enemies can't quite see me as well as I see them with Cat), spotted a tons of Ghouls inside eating some corpses. So being a good witcher that I am, I slightly backed out, applied my enhanced necrophage oil on my silver blade, equipped my enhanced grapeshot, knocked down a Swallow potion too because I just fell from above and got severely hurt.

So the moment to attack came, just before I plunged into the crowd I apply Quen, then quickly switched to Igni, aimed my bomb and released.

The bomb fucking decimated all the ghouls, blew them to bits, all of them. I was left quite stunned because how easy it turnt out.

Apparently that cave tied to a quest, which I seriously overlevel.

End. :p
If you get enhanced grapeshot, humans are basically a joke. I thought Geralt slicing through dudes diagonally was brutal, but you can literally blow a dude's torso up with arms flying everywhere.

Klyka

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks that the "dodging reduces damage by 100%" skill doesn't work one fucking bit?
And yes,I have it slotted.

Exentryk

what build are you going for? 1st Witcher game so I am going on Sword and Story, its not hard really, but I like being able to heal with meditation so I have no raised it......

Switched from sword focus to sign focused. It's my first Witcher game as well. But since I started with DM difficulty, this is the only thing I've experienced and now gotten used to it. It's a good trick to start games on the hardest and your mind adapts to it. :D

I went and fought a level 17 bear (level 8) because of guarded treasure, took down the bear, found the 'treasure'

6 orens.

Lol. Once I update my build a little more, I'll try to take on stronger monsters just for the fun of it.

you shouldnt do that again since the loot in treasures scales with your level. you could have found much more powrful stuff if you waited

I am just going with the flow, as there will always be something good turning up. Plus, all the best stuff does not scale.

Nordicus

If you get enhanced grapeshot, humans are basically a joke. I thought Geralt slicing through dudes diagonally was brutal, but you can literally blow a dude's torso up with arms flying everywhere.
It really surprised me the first time when my Enhanced Grapeshots blew the torso right off.

JambiBum

Lol at this sidequest that is a dig at DRM and promotion for GoG. If anyone is wondering what the quest is called, it's
A tower out of nowhere

boskee

It might be true. It's not impossible that it is.

Also: they're excited.

Exactly. It wasn't supposed to be a dig at the Witcher 3, more like "holy cow, TW3 is amazing and if they get everything they want in Cyberpunk 2077 right, it will be even better". I am also paraphrasing, will try to get the actual quote later (it's in one of his CDPR videos).

Pooya

I hate wraiths, the only enemy I have trouble with even when they are lower level than me. They just disappear, dodge my attack as a result, and then reappear with huge huge damage, now if there is one of them it's no problem but even with quen I get disoriented and destroyed afterward. Yeah I know I have to use Yrden but even that doesn't neutralize them much and leave me vulnerable to others. They gotta nerf their HP a lot, 2-3 slashes should kill them. In dark, tight areas it's so hard to fight these. I don't have amazing gear but these things shouldn't do that much damage that fast compared with everything else :\

I hate wraiths, the only enemy I have trouble with even when they are lower level than me. They just disappear, dodge my attack as a result, and then reappear with huge huge damage, now if there is one of them it's no problem but even with quen I get disoriented and destroyed afterward. Yeah I know I have to use Yrden but even that doesn't neutralize them much and leave me vulnerable to others. They gotta nerf their HP a lot, 2-3 slashes should kill them. In dark, tight areas it's so hard to fight these. I don't have amazing gear but these things shouldn't do that much damage that fast compared with everything else :\

Using oils? And Griffin decoctions are useful against enemies you can't reliably dodge.

Number45

Ugh, there's a quest that you get just after you enter Velen (
defend this dude's brother in a field
) that I just don't have the survivability for. Need to expand my combat options I think.

Pooya

without oil it's hopeless, of course. I'm just in that dark place under the mountain, and it's so hard. They are just lvl 7, I'm 12. I can't dodge much here and all of their green effects blocks my view...

Blastoise

Banned
The framerate on the PS4 is getting so frustrating. It only drops during large groups/mobs, and thats when I need it the most.

At this point I would love to drop it to 720p just so I can get through the fights.

I know, first time I saw that I was kinda disgusted at myself (Geralt). :p

You can use Moon Dust to keep them from disappearing, as well as not having to use Yrden all the time. Instead use Quen.

Stoze

This may sound nuts, but I kinda wish there was a way to toggle off exp gain. It's just impossible at this point for me to not be over-leveled for either the main quests or the majority of sidequests I pick up, and when you're playing quests at or a bit above your level, both the gameplay and rewards are more rewarding imo.

It's not a big deal though honestly, it's just part of open world quest design. But as someone who likes to jump between doing main quests and big chunks of side quests, it does irk me a bit.

Chariot

When they vanish just dodge somewhere infront of you since they will appear somewhere close to where you stand.

Forkball

Ugh, there's a quest that you get just after you enter Velen (
defend this dude's brother in a field
) that I just don't have the survivability for. Need to expand my combat options I think.
There are multiple ways to get the pass so don't worry about it. That guy's probably better off dead anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom