• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

mandiller

I've played dozens of hours of this but I still get blown away by some the amazing scenery... This game is just so picturesque.

2015-06-26_00001kfpep.jpg

friday

Skelliga is probably the best part of this game. I was over leveled by the time I got there, but on my second play through I will head there as soon as I hit lvl 15. I need to do all the side quest there.

Skelliga is probably the best part of this game. I was over leveled by the time I got there, but on my second play through I will head there as soon as I hit lvl 15. I need to do all the side quest there.

Skellige is such a breath of fresh air because you are basically 'stuck' in that war torn piece of country called Velen, which is something I always admire about that part of the game.

People seem to absolutely hate Velen and find it boring but it portrays the story so perfectly that you can not have the same beautiful fields of Skellige in that area.

Blood has been shed in that part. Two superpowers are fighting over their future reign and it is supposed to feel that way when traversing through the game.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
almost at 100 hours played. it's gonna end soon though. i don't want it to end. i haven't enjoyed a game this much in who knows how long. 100 hours isn't a lot to some of the more "hardcore" gamers but this is the most time i've ever put into a game.

i've just done the quest where you
travel through the different worlds
. about to return to skellige to
find the sunstone

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
That awkward moment when you bring(spoiler from Act 2 i think?)
Ciri to Emhyr and accept his coins reward when Ciri's look is all "Why Geralt, why" while his servant slowly gives him the money.
Made me load my last checkpoint and refuse it instead.

Rixxan

I don't know what's involved in asset creation for games of this scope but it was pretty amazing to see how many new ones were used in Through Time and Space

It once again punctuated what a complete product this game is

Just got hit with a platinum-busting bug -- can't unlock a certain merchant in Velen (the one in the cage) who sells some specific cards. Oh well, can't say I'm not excited to replay the first 20 hours or so!

Sai

Yes, sort of, they are random from a pool of cards you can't get any other way, i.e. buying, questing, etc.
Wait, so, if you desired to collect all available cards in this game, would you have to keep reloading saves in order to win specific cards from them?

I know there are duplicates, or rather, variations of the same type of cards in the Scoiatel and Monster decks. Is there a way to nab them all?

Wait guys.

Not only did I start a romance with
Yennifer, have sex and eat bbq
, I then told
Triss I love her, had sex and ate bbq

My ending was a good one -
Me and Triss shacked up in a cute little abode, had MORE sex and made bbq.

How?

You can have
unicorn sex with Yennefer without it locking you into the romance.
You have to
reject her later during the Last Wish quest and say the three magic words to Triss at the docks to get the Triss ending.

I probably will never bring myself to go with Triss in subsequent playthroughs - not because I couldn't bring myself to break Yen's heart (though this is definitely the harder choice in the game than breaking up not rekindling your romance with Triss) but because I'm genuinely scared of what she'll do to me later on. Yennefer's kinda scary.

almost at 100 hours played. it's gonna end soon though. i don't want it to end. i haven't enjoyed a game this much in who knows how long. 100 hours isn't a lot to some of the more "hardcore" gamers but this is the most time i've ever put into a game.

i've just done the quest where you
travel through the different worlds
. about to return to skellige to
find the sunstone

I lost my mind at that quest and it was then when the game secured itself in my top 3 for this year.

Also,

Wait, so, if you desired to collect all available cards in this game, would you have to keep reloading saves in order to win specific cards from them?
No, but if you did that you might be able to get all of the unique cards sooner. I didn't bother about it, I just played everyone who offered Gwent as soon as I met them until I came across one who didn't give me a card on my first victory against him, bought every card I ever saw on sale, and did the Gwent quests. Wasn't as tough as I thought it would be.

Bisnic

How many hours of play time before Ciri and Geralt reunite?

Your question is asked in a weird way. How far are you into the game? Or do you mean how long it take as soon as you start the game? It took me around 100 hours, and that's with "wasting" a lot of time doing sidequests and exploration.

Vico

Played my first hour on Skellige. Can't believe how pretty this is, a freaking nice change after spending 75hours in Velen.

hoserx

Arkham Knight or this gaffers? PS4.

So many things to consider here... what setting do you prefer? The PS4 version of Batman has been acclaimed for performing well, etc, yet the ps4 version of Witcher apparently still has some framerate issues. If that bothers you, Batman now, Witcher later?

DToneli

Neo Member
I am about tp start the
Battle for Kaer Morhen
, but the sad thing is that I won't be able to finish my sidequests and contracts before that, or I might overlevel even more (I am lvl 24) You can level up so easily in this game that it starts to feel wrong.
Btw, loving it, 5 days of gane until now and planning a 2nd playtrough on DM.

paskowitz

Romance question, I think I dun goofed up...

I said "I love you" to both Triss and Yennefer. I made Triss stay in Novigrad. Am I about to get a hilarious bad ending? Is there any way to fix it?

Crap, I did the same. There was so much time in-between when I did these two quests I completely didn't even realize how bad an idea this was. Dammit.

d3vnull

I am about tp start the
Battle for Kaer Morhen
, but the sad thing is that I won't be able to finish my sidequests and contracts before that, or I might overlevel even more (I am lvl 24) You can level up so easily in this game that it starts to feel wrong.
Btw, loving it, 5 days of gane until now and planning a 2nd playtrough on DM.

Only the quests that involve main characters can fail if you start a big story quest. So finish at least those and you're good. Contracts are unaffected afaik and can wait.

friday

Skellige is such a breath of fresh air because you are basically 'stuck' in that war torn piece of country called Velen, which is something I always admire about that part of the game.

People seem to absolutely hate Velen and find it boring but it portrays the story so perfectly that you can not have the same beautiful fields of Skellige in that area.

Blood has been shed in that part. Two superpowers are fighting over their future reign and it is supposed to feel that way when traversing through the game.

True, Skelliga is relatively peaceful and well off compared to the conflict zones. The natural ocean barrier helps them. It's also nice to not see a body hanging from every other tree.

I love Velen and Novigrad though. Its depressing and bleak, but not enough games do that well. I think they did a good job of showing the people who are truly affected by war. I often find myself wanting to help the people of Velen, but everything and everyone is so shitty at times I just wanna burn it all down.

Hey Geralt, if you take all this time to prepare and concoct potions and set lures and shit, why do you choose to fight in this tiny pitch black cave where you can't dodge and can't see shit?

WITHE1982

I've kinda avoided these threads so far as I always seem to ruin the game for myself by clicking on a spoiler by mistake but I think I'm far enough through to be safe now.

I'm around 40hours in (I think - game time is a bid fucked up) and I'm just mopping up some quests in Novigrad/Velen
specifically on the hunt for Dandelion
before I head to Skellige. I've just finished up the quest where
Triss is tortured by Menge's men. I kinda folded when she started screaming and had to intervene and kill ever last Mo-Fo in the place.
I'm just wondering if I've missed out on anything by doing so?

I know there are duplicates, or rather, variations of the same type of cards in the Scoiatel and Monster decks. Is there a way to nab them all?

No, but if you did that you might be able to get all of the unique cards sooner. I didn't bother about it, I just played everyone who offered Gwent as soon as I met them until I came across one who didn't give me a card on my first victory against him, bought every card I ever saw on sale, and did the Gwent quests. Wasn't as tough as I thought it would be.

endlessflood has it right. Maybe I explained it poorly, basically there are some number of cards, say 60, that you have to get from vendors, so your first one will be a random one of those 60 and the next a random one of the remaining 59, etc. Basically if you just play every vendor you come across you will eventually get them all.

All the others are found for sale, obtained through quests or some are found out in the world. The only one I can think of that you find out in the world is the one found on
Hammond's Body
in the Following the Thread quest.

Bisnic

I've kinda avoided these threads so far as I always seem to ruin the game for myself by clicking on a spoiler by mistake but I think I'm far enough through to be safe now.

I'm around 40hours in (I think - game time is a bid fucked up) and I'm just mopping up some quests in Novigrad/Velen
Triss is tortured by Menge's men. I kinda folded when she started screaming and had to intervene and kill ever last Mo-Fo in the place.

lol, I didn't even let them start touching her. They all died quickly, didn't care if I missed something.

I haven't finished the game yet but it affects some stuff towards the end of the game I have read.

Apparently Dijkstra doesn't give you money when you need it.

How that affects the ending I do not know.

LordofPwn

Finally getting back into this game. Started it on launch day, ran into camera and frame rate issues. that and destiny took a lot of my free time. Now i have time to give this game the attention it deserves. started over fresh. Haven't killed the griffin yet. keep finding side quests. Also no way in hell i finish this by end of summer.

Dijkstra won't support you and Triss is probably pretty pissed at you.

Heh... kind of unintentionally hilarious when you wind up drinking a bunch of potions and then have a sex scene. Geralt looks like something out of the Walking Dead and yet the ladies love him!

Yeah, Velen is great at what they're going for. I know its kind of beating a dead horse but compared to something like DA:Inquisition which basically tries to portray the same sort of war torn locales, TW3 does such a more convincing job, in large part because you have actual ripped up and shitty looking battlefields, with dead bodies and mud and refugees and burnt out villages. They just do a great job of giving you the feeling that this part of the world has just been torn up between two rival factions.

But just starting into Skellige myself and its a great change of pace.

WITHE1982

lol, I didn't even let them start touching her. They all died quickly, didn't care if I missed something.

Ha. I was very close to doing so but I thought if I can hold out then I'll ultimately be rewarded... fuck that. After getting jiggy with her in The Witcher 2 it only took one scream from my crimson headed siren and I was all up in their faces.

I'm really digging how ambiguous the quests are so far. Normally in RPGs when they tell you there's no good or bad choices there's normally a pretty glaringly obvious good one. TW3 forces you to choose how you think Geralt would, for good or for bad.

I'm Loving the game so far and think I've still got a long, long way to go.

I've played dozens of hours of this but I still get blown away by some the amazing scenery... This game is just so picturesque.

Thats a great shot.

Yeah the game looks amazing. I mean some of the small details fall apart under close examination but the overall presentation and effect of the visuals is just fantastic.

Sai

endlessflood has it right. Maybe I explained it poorly, basically there are some number of cards, say 60, that you have to get from vendors, so your first one will be a random one of those 60 and the next a random one of the remaining 59, etc. Basically if you just play every vendor you come across you will eventually get them all.

All the others are found for sale, obtained through quests or some are found out in the world. The only one I can think of that you find out in the world is the one found on
Hammond's Body
in the Following the Thread quest.
Got it. Thanks, guys.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
100 hours in. 2nd game crash. Luckily i had just finished a quest where I spoke to
Ermion while trying to find the sunstone.
. So didn't lose much progress.

I can't beat him at Gwent. I need a unique card from him.

Also, I really hate my current armour. I need to find a better set. Not sure how long I have left until the main story is done. I only have a few gwent quests left to do and 2 contracts. Don't want it to end.

Once I finish I'm gonna focus on reading the books then play through Witcher 1 and 2. Damn, I've fallen in love with this whole Witcher thing since I started playing 3.

Ulldog

About to return to
Kaer Morhen. 75 hours. I love this game, but if the main quest revolves around the search of another person, it's gonna get rediculous. It's really time for the story to pick up.

Top Bottom