• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 will likely have the best graphics yet (New Screenshots)

arevin01

A lot of detail went into Witcher, but it seems other NPCs are very lacking, cloth and facial animations don't look good compared to Unity.

Seanspeed

Banned
1:1 large open world with a diversity of environments in a game would just be a nightmare on so many levels. At least if you wanted to have a fun game that sold a lot of copies...

Imagine requiring 30 hours of walking just to get around a mountain(ok, maybe only 8 hours on horseback). I mean, it would basically necessitate not having mountains at all. They would be completely impractical.

Mifec

It seems to suffer from potato land syndrome, though perhaps not as much as Oblivion/Skyrim.

What? Non-essential NPC look terrible in Unity, much better here.

Don't tell me what I want.

Yeah I was wondering why no one mentioned the NPC's look a lot better than Unity ones/just good in general, Unity ones on Ultra are still pretty ugly.

Mik2121

I do want that. Amen for 1:1 scale in Unity and in Kingdom Come.

It seems to suffer from potato land syndrome, though perhaps not as much as Oblivion/Skyrim.

What? Non-essential NPC look terrible in Unity, much better here.

Don't tell me what I want.

To be honest, 1:1 scale environments are great, but having to populate them is damn near impossible unless you reuse a ton of assets, or spend so much money on it you'd have to sell like 10million units to get your money back.

Some people like huge worlds (I'm one of those people), but many people would also be bored to dead if they had to travel through the same looking forest for 20 minutes, just to reach the next little village to the other side of it.

To be honest, 1:1 scale environments are great, but having to populate them is damn near impossible unless you reuse a ton of assets, or spend so much money on it you'd have to sell like 10million units to get your money back.

Some people like huge worlds (I'm one of those people), but many people would also be bored to dead if they had to travel through the same looking forest for 20 minutes, just to reach the next little village to the other side of it.

It isn't even 20 minutes. A real life forest can suppose 4-5 hours to cross it. A visit to a looming mountain in the horizon can be a 1 day journey to get close and 1 day journey to go up.
There are reasons why games don't use 1:1 scale, except when they plan the entire game being in a single location (i.e. a city, like AC Unity).

GnawtyDog

Banned
If GAF made idiocy a bannable offense, we'd lose the majority of people in this thread.

I wish it was bannable.

Seriously, if you compare this to Unity you're nothing short of an idiot. Static lighting is in no way impressive, nor is wonky gameplay, a broken POS of a game and shit performance with awful pop-in. The Witcher 3 looks as good as Unity, and it's unlikely to be as fucking broken. And the worst thing about Unity is how sodding static everything is. So please.

If you compare it to The Order...

Well, are you fucking stupid? A linear corridor shooter that has nothing going for it except for it's looks, and even has an awful screen res? Holy. Shit.

Get your shit together people.

edit: And please for the love of god quit it with the idiotic downgrade comments. Wait for the game to be sodding released before you make that kind of ridiculous, un-factual statement.

It's really not that hard to wait with such a judgement until you have the facts.

No need to use expletives. I agree that games like The Order and the Witcher should not be compared (drastically different) and that the Unity comparison should be done after release with more factual information on our hands. Everything else was unnecessary.

Moff

I do want that. Amen for 1:1 scale in Unity and in Kingdom Come.

unity is only a city, it doesnt have the problem with 1:1 scale that there are multiple day/week rides in between interesting locations.

kingdom come is interesting,I am a backer, but it will probably take place in a very small world and we will see how that works out.
witcher 1 and 2 were closer to those 2 games. 1:1 scale, but not in a huge open world like skyrim. witcher 3 is taking a different approach.
a 1:1 scale whole country for instance, would frankly be very boring unless you want to travel along rivers and roads sever realtime days witthout anything happening.

DOWN

Banned

unity is only a city, it doesnt have the problem with 1:1 scale that there are multiple day/week rides in between interesting locations.

kingdom come is interesting,I am a backer, but it will probably take place in a very small world and we will see how that works out.
witcher 1 and 2 were closer to those 2 games. 1:1 scale, but not in a huge open world like skyrim. witcher 3 is taking a different approach.
a 1:1 scale whole country for instance, would frankly be very boring unless you want to travel along rivers and roads sever realtime days witthout anything happening.

In large open worlds that have rural spaces, I want a compromise. I hate that some people think stuff populated like Skyrim of how The Witcher 3 appears to be is good density. It doesn't account for the fact that there should be more interesting places like camps and ruins nearer to the actual civilized cities and some spaces like rolling hills or fields should at least in one part be totally empty. I hate that in these games I don't even get to ride for 1 minute without seeing a camp, house, and distant fort or town on screen, and even more stuff pointed out on my radar.

I just want a compromise that gives at least some due space for the player to get the atmosphere of the countryside or wild and trust that I won't claim 'Oh there's nothing to do here so what's the point of this being in the game.' Teams like Rockstar and the studio behind Kingdom Come understand that an open world should be a place as much as it is a game.

Moff

when did rockstar have 1:1 scale for their rural open world areas? I hope you are not talking about GTA or RDR because they are as far from that as skyrim.

and as I said, Kingdom Come Looks interesting, but it's not released yet. we will see how they solve the scaling. it will either be not really 1:1 scale or a small world with maybe a village, a castle and surroundings. I doubt they will give us severaly day long rides.

erawsd

In large open worlds that have rural spaces, I want a compromise. I hate that some people think stuff populated like Skyrim of how The Witcher 3 appears to be is good density. It doesn't account for the fact that there should be more interesting places like camps and ruins nearer to the actual civilized cities and some spaces like rolling hills or fields should at least in one part be totally empty. I hate that in these games I don't even get to ride for 1 minute without seeing a camp, house, and distant fort or town on screen, and even more stuff pointed out on my radar.

I just want a compromise that gives at least some due space for the player to get the atmosphere of the countryside or wild and trust that I won't claim 'Oh there's nothing to do here so what's the point of this being in the game.' Teams like Rockstar and the studio behind Kingdom Come understand that an open world should be a place as much as it is a game.

I feel like its a bit soon to toss Witcher in with Skyrim in this regard. The game definitely isn't going for 1:1, but it certainly seems to have a better sense than most. For instance, capital city of Skyrim looked like this:

Solitude.png

The main city hub of Witcher looks like this:

Top Bottom