• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher Community Thread: Where we discuss what politics and sex have in common

I was wondering, what do you guys think of the combat re-balance mod released by CDPR? Does it work well, do you recommend it?
I found it kinda distracting to try to adjust to the new style after playing the old style. Especially the change where blocking just happens if you stand still.

Regarding TW3, I'm worried about the fact that it seems to be possible to do a threesome with Triss and Yen
I still don't understand why people think that's a thing that this trailer confirmed. Geralt in bed with 2 people, and you can't see the heads of either of them. So obviously it's Triss and Yen because...reasons...I guess.

I found it kinda distracting to try to adjust to the new style after playing the old style. Especially the change where blocking just happens if you stand still.

I still don't understand why people think that's a thing that this trailer confirmed. Geralt in bed with 2 people, and you can't see the heads of either of them. So obviously it's Triss and Yen because...reasons...I guess.

I haven't seen the trailer, some people were saying Triss and Yen are wearing the same clothes in other scenes.
I guess we'll see soon enough.

RDreamer

Finally got to Act 3 in Witcher 2. Act 2 felt really long compared to Act 1. How long is 3, then?

Went Roche's path for my first play through. Might have enough time before Witcher 3 comes out to get through Iorveth's Act 2 and see some of the differences.

I'm also reading through the books. Finished The Last Wish the other day and just today I finished the first story in Sword of Destiny.

Denton

Finally got to Act 3 in Witcher 2. Act 2 felt really long compared to Act 1. How long is 3, then?

Went Roche's path for my first play through. Might have enough time before Witcher 3 comes out to get through Iorveth's Act 2 and see some of the differences.

I'm also reading through the books. Finished The Last Wish the other day and just today I finished the first story in Sword of Destiny.
You must do Iorveth. Must.
Enjoy Sword of Destiny. I like it even more than Last Wish.

RDreamer

You must do Iorveth. Must.
Enjoy Sword of Destiny. I like it even more than Last Wish.

The first story was pretty good. I could see it being overall pretty awesome.

Pretty surprised so far after reading Last Wish and some of this how unconventional Yennefer and Geralt's relationship is, lol.

Pretty surprised so far after reading Last Wish and some of this how unconventional Yennefer and Geralt's relationship is, lol.
I once explained it to someone that they're both so equally terrible at relationships that they're kinda perfect for each other.

Act 3 is the shortest.
Try to play Iorveth's path too, it's even better. Just load a save before the choice at the end of act 2.

RDreamer

Act 3 is the shortest.
Try to play Iorveth's path too, it's even better. Just load a save before the choice at the end of act 2.

I should have enough time, especially if Act 3 is short like you said. I've got an old save I can use, and a month to do it.

Regarding TW3, I'm worried about the fact that it seems to be possible to do a threesome with Triss and Yen, there's just no way that a scene like that wont be completely out of character for Yen.
I wish CDPR would've resisted the temptation to go down that road.

Yep, that scene seem really strange on that trailer.
Hope is drugs or a dream or some similar shit. Yenneffer would have gone mental if proposed that.

Or could just be two different girls, you only see a red head and a black haired woman's backs, but when you look better they do not look too much like triss or yeneffer.

Isendurl

Be wary of spoilers guys, some Franch site revealed all Witcher 3 achievements and there is some MAJOR SHIT in there I tell you.

RDreamer

First I have to try and avoid GoT spoilers, now fucking this. Goddamn it.

I'm glad spoilers don't bother me too terribly much. With most spoilers I just get more intrigued and want to know/see how that thing happened. The internet sucks if you're not that way, lol.

Thanks for the heads up though.

RDreamer

Finally beat Witcher 2, so I guess I'm officially ready for 3!

Well, kind of. I went Roche's path, and now I want to see at least some of Iorveth's. Also still chugging along in the books.

Anyway, man Witcher 2 is a great game. It's kind of sad that so many people won't play it before 3. In the end it kind of felt like a prologue to what's coming.

Finally beat Witcher 2, so I guess I'm officially ready for 3!

Well, kind of. I went Roche's path, and now I want to see at least some of Iorveth's. Also still chugging along in the books.

Anyway, man Witcher 2 is a great game. It's kind of sad that so many people won't play it before 3. In the end it kind of felt like a prologue to what's coming.

It's worth replaying chapters 2 and 3 for Iorveth's path, trust me.

aravuus

Oh jesus, Blood of Elves has only seven chapters. Seven long ass chapters. I much prefer it when books have a lot of short chapters, kinda makes picking it up feel a bit easier, I think. I've had a couple of month long break on Hamilton's Pandora's Star because of the ~30 page long chapters.

Then again, BoE isn't even 200 pages. Pandora's Star is almost 1200 pages lol.

Well, I suppose this also means that I only gotta go "hey, I think I'll read more Witcher now" seven times and I'm done with the book

Man, the spanish hardcover versions are really nice, they make the english versions seem so cheap.
One day if I can afford it I'll rebuy the ones I bought in english so I can replace them with these.

Man, the spanish hardcover versions are really nice, they make the english versions seem so cheap.
One day if I can afford it I'll rebuy the ones I bought in english so I can replace them with these.

Did you buy one of the spanish versions at the end?
Too bad buying books in spain is expensive as hell. Is like if they didnt want people to read lol

Did you buy one of the spanish versions at the end?
Too bad buying books in spain is expensive as hell. Is like if they didnt want people to read lol

Tell me about it...
Yeah, I bought the Spanish versions of the ones that aren't available in English yet.
I just wish they'd used the Triss cover for The Lady of the Lake hardcover version lol.

aravuus

Anyone happen to have a Witcher 2 save game from around the time you leave the first village (end of act 1, I think)? Can't remember if you make any significant choices before that moment, but Iorveth's route, if possible

I want to finally finish the game, but I've gone through the village and dropped the game in the first 5 so many times I just don't want to see the woods and the ugly villagers and the little cunt critters in the forest anymore lol

Don't care about items, equipment etc, I'm gonna play on the easiest difficulty so I don't think any of that matters that much

e: wait i think i found just the thing on nexus, hope it works

aravuus

The more I play Witcher 2, the more bummed out I get by the fact that I don't really enjoy the combat at all. Otherwise it does so much so well: the crafting, alchemy and potion systems are awesome, lots of shit to be made if you just go out and get the ingredients, the skill trees are interesting, the fact that you learn about the monsters' weaknesses etc is cool

I can't say what it is exactly that makes the combat so dull, but I really, really hope they've fixed it in W3. Cause holy shit, that game could end up being one of my all-time favorites if ends up being as awesome as CDP has been saying.

The last thing I heard was that it was confirmed and also by the same translator, the problem is that since Lady of the Lake he is making them much slower. He also translated all the other Spakowski's books so he has a lot on his plate.

I know who he is, I read an interview you linked a while back.
Lady of the Lake didn't go as fast as he would've liked, which forced them to publish it in 2 parts. He also had to get another translator to help him.
I'm glad he's back for SoS though.
This year is obviously out of the question but I hope we see it next year.

azxza

The last thing I heard was that it was confirmed and also by the same translator, the problem is that since Lady of the Lake he is making them much slower. He also translated all the other Spakowski's books so he has a lot on his plate.

Fernando Otero Macías is the main translator of "Season of Storms". He helped Jose María Faraldo in the first part of "The Lady of the Lake" and was the main translator of the second.

Any news on a spanish translation of Season of Storms?

The book is out next week (April 23).

Fernando Otero Macías is the main translator of "Season of Storms". He helped Jose María Faraldo in the first part of "The Lady of the Lake" and was the main translator of the second.

Oh, so he finally taked the rest. Its a pity, he was awesome.
At least the new translator has worked with Faraldo he probably know what he is doing.
And dint know it was coming soon, good to know!

Holy crap lol!
Thanks for the heads up.
I'll have to update the OP.
So Fernando Macias took over? I'd feel better if Faraldo at least supervised the translation but I trust him, it's not like he's a noob considering his work on LoftL.

azxza

Holy crap lol!
Thanks for the heads up.
I'll have to update the OP.
So Fernando Macias took over? I'd feel better if Faraldo at least supervised the translation but I trust him, it's not like he's a noob considering his work on LoftL.

He's the other translator of the book. I think he supervised the translation like he did in the second part of the "Lady of the lake". Fernando did a fantastic job in that book.

aravuus

Finished Witcher 2, it was awesome

Couldn't kill
Letho
in the end, he was just too goddamn awesome. The opening cinematic still give me goosebumps. I wish we'll get a baddie as cool as him in W3.

Finished Witcher 2, it was awesome

Couldn't kill
Letho
in the end, he was just too goddamn awesome. The opening cinematic still give me goosebumps. I wish we'll get a baddie as cool as him in W3.

Which route?
Did the combat grow on you eventually? Unlocking certain skills like counter, damage to multiple enemies and group finishers really helps.
Signs can also become pretty powerful when upgraded, making them more fun to use.

aravuus

Iorveth. I've seen people mention his route is more interesting and while Roche is also a cool character, I can't really support his ideals.

Can't say the combat grew on me, more like I started to tolerate it later on. I can tell one reason why I don't like it, though: the overly long, random feeling animations. I noticed there were some moments, like when the enemy was far away, when it always executed a certain attack (like the leap in this case).

But otherwise it felt random. Press the attack button, and Geralt does a random attack. Maybe he only hits the enemy with his sword, quick and nice, or maybe he'll start doing a completely unnecessary stupidly long pirouette attack. I dunno, maybe you execute the different attacks with tiny different stick/WASD movements, but to me, fighting just felt really unresponsive and loose.

I may be a bit harsh right now since the last action RPG I played was Bloodborne which is pretty fucking amazing.

e: still a month to go :( i might do a roche route playthrough too before w3 hits

I thought most people said Iorveth route has the really badly design dwarf city were you are lost most of the time.
I dont like Iorveth, I dont support his ideas and his stupid smug. In fact, the squirrel terrorist organisation can go and fuck themselves in the ass.
I support some of their ideals, elfs and dwarfs were treated like shit after humans came when it would have worked better with everyone treated the same, but killing inoccent people because of your ideals? that when you loose all the respect from me.
Not that Roche is a saint, mind you, but at least he doesnt try to put it behind excuses.

I usually try to make Geralt do the right thing most of the time, and that's usually being in the middle for most of the choices.

aravuus

Shame that in the Witcher universe, doing the right thing ends up being worse for parties involved more often than not lol

If I were to simplify Iorveth's and Roche's ideals, I'd say Iorveth wants a world where humans and nonhumans are equal, Roche wants to defend status quo (nobles > peasants, humans > nonhumans)

Personally, even though Iorveth and Scoia'taels methods are extreme to say the least, I'd go with them every time. They hate humans, but they still want equality. Hell, who wouldn't hate the humans of Witcher universe? They're a bunch of total cunts.

In the world where most people are going to suffer immensely either way, I'm gonna go with the path that's at least trying to reform things

e: also i thought the dwarf city was just fine.

e2: would be fun if there was a nilfgaardian route where you just absolutely destroy the north. every king and ruler gets killed etc

Isendurl

CDCI7s7VIAAsGZM.jpg

tumblr_inline_mk0yn7qnvz1qfb1ni.gif

varkuriru

Welp, finished the lady of the like... tears were had indeed. But it was awesome.

Also Ciri's naming sense is the best - calling Phillipa "Doña Lechuza" (lady owl) and "Caballito" (little horse) LOL.

Is it May 19th yet?

Shame that in the Witcher universe, doing the right thing ends up being worse for parties involved more often than not lol

If I were to simplify Iorveth's and Roche's ideals, I'd say Iorveth wants a world where humans and nonhumans are equal, Roche wants to defend status quo (nobles > peasants, humans > nonhumans)

Personally, even though Iorveth and Scoia'taels methods are extreme to say the least, I'd go with them every time. They hate humans, but they still want equality. Hell, who wouldn't hate the humans of Witcher universe? They're a bunch of total cunts.

In the world where most people are going to suffer immensely either way, I'm gonna go with the path that's at least trying to reform things

e: also i thought the dwarf city was just fine.

e2: would be fun if there was a nilfgaardian route where you just absolutely destroy the north. every king and ruler gets killed etc

I love how there's never a perfect solution that makes all the problems go away. That's just not how things work, especially in a world like this.
I'll be honest, though I like Roche and his presence makes it easier to sympathize with the humans in the second game, I tend to go agree more with the Scoiatel, especially in the first game.

He was once the "Lord of Casterly Rock, Warden of the West, and Lord Paramount of the Westerlands", and is now "Emperor of Nilfgaard, The White Flame Dancing on the Barrows of his Enemies." That's quite the promotion!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuZ5YkXVEvk

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/34990-Charles-Dance-as-Emhyr-var-Emreis?p=1610722#post1610722

Such a fantastic casting choice, I hope he gets a lot of screen time.

RDreamer

Finally finished The Sword of Destiny. Amazing read. Loved pretty much all the stories, and now I'm really intrigued as to where the Saga is going. Onto Blood of Elves!

Not sure how many of the books I'll be able to finish before the 19th. I'm thinking at least Blood of Elves, possibly one more.

Also chugging along in my Witcher 2 Iorveth play through. Crossed the missed in Act 2. I'm liking it, though I'm not really seeing how it's soooooooo much better than Roche's path, at least so far. We'll see, though.

Finally finished The Sword of Destiny. Amazing read. Loved pretty much all the stories, and now I'm really intrigued as to where the Saga is going. Onto Blood of Elves!

Not sure how many of the books I'll be able to finish before the 19th. I'm thinking at least Blood of Elves, possibly one more.

Also chugging along in my Witcher 2 Iorveth play through. Crossed the missed in Act 2. I'm liking it, though I'm not really seeing how it's soooooooo much better than Roche's path, at least so far. We'll see, though.

BoE is a bit of a slow start to the saga but it gets better with each book (unless you're one of those weird people who don't like Ciri).

I don't see Season of Storms on amazon.es.

Cahir is on the cover of the sword of destiny's english version. That doesn't make any sense lol.

I don't see Season of Storms on amazon.es.

Cahir is on the cover of the sword of destiny's english version. That doesn't make any sense lol.
Could be worse. You should see how many English versions have game art on them. My copy of Baptism of Fire has has Geralt fighting the Draugr from Witcher 2. Some copies of earlier books had Letho on the cover, who isn't even in the books. That's one of the reasons Sapkowski often sounds so bitter when the games are mentioned.

Could be worse. You should see how many English versions have game art on them. My copy of Baptism of Fire has has Geralt fighting the Draugr from Witcher 2. Some copies of earlier books had Letho on the cover, who isn't even in the books. That's one of the reasons Sapkowski often sounds so bitter when the games are mentioned.

That is really stupid. The art they use for the books is outstanding. Fucking publishers.
Regardless, it's weird that they used the Cahir cover for SoD since he's only introduced later.

Even spain did a paperback version of sword of destiny with The Witcher 2 game art, with a sitcker saying that the books was where the game was based of.

Thankfully they are still doing the hardback ones with the original book art. And ive never seen the other paperback version using game art anymore.

RDreamer

BoE is a bit of a slow start to the saga but it gets better with each book (unless you're one of those weird people who don't like Ciri).

Blood of elves is pretty interesting so far. I'm about halfway through. Really different than the two before it, not just because of the difference in short story collections and an actual saga. Feels like Geralt is just some dude who happens to be in the same room as shit that's happening at least so far. I don't mind it, though. Ciri seems interesting. Triss seems so too in the books.

DrSlek

Apparently the last time I played TW2 was in December of 2013. I should really finish that play through to be prepped for TW3. Iorveth path is best path....as long as you save Saskia.

Top Bottom