• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness HDR/Pro patch is out and holy freaking crap the HDR mode is INCREDIBLE.

III-V

The HDR in this is blowing me away. I had not played or seen anything where HDR had truly impressed me beyond a "Oh this is neat" type thing. Turning HDR looks horrendous in comparison, and it was always a beautiful game.

wait, what?

III-V

Didn't get my edit in on time. Turning HDR off looks horrendous in comparison. Like the game is totally grey and dull. Astonishing considering I always thought it was such a vibrant and colorful game.

I am hoping for a black friday discount, I really want to pick this one up.

dankir

tenor.gif

Grrr I had to stop playing this game after I got a call about my daughter almost dying while playing it. Haven't been able to go back and play it since. Hopefully someday I will be able to play it again without wanting to throw up.

The Argus

Here I sit, patiently awaiting CES 2017 and Super Bowl deals on new 4K HDR sets. I'm probably going to go LG OLED like my family, but hoping they work on input lag and image retention more than the already spectacular IQ. Please.

RuhRo

HDR looks okay in most titles on my set - I see somewhat more muted, subtle colors in The Last of Us, Uncharted 4, and Deus Ex. But this game has a terrible implementation, or at least seems to not click with my set - color banding everywhere, which no other HDR title seems to have. Disappointing.

HDR looks okay in most titles on my set - I see somewhat more muted, subtle colors in The Last of Us, Uncharted 4, and Deus Ex. But this game has a terrible implementation, or at least seems to not click with my set - color banding everywhere, which no other HDR title seems to have. Disappointing.

What TV do you have? Must be your set unfortunately.

Absolutely. 420/422 reduce color resolution to allow 10 bit signal compared to RGB's 8 bit - witch is a worthwhile trade off in HDR mode. The difference between 422 and 420 is that 420 is quarter resolution color whereas 422 is only half res. Otherwise it's an identical signal.

Some TV's might allow a 12 bit signal in 420 but not 422, however that has no benefit whatsoever as virtually all HDR games will output 10 bit internally.

Best advice is to set automatic mode. It chooses the optimal mode for what you are doing. Other modes are just for older TV's.

Yeah, I have my PS4 and my Bravia all set to automatic. What I see happening is playing games at 4k with no HDR, it chooses 2160p RGB 60hz. When playing games with HDR, it chooses 2160p YUV420 60hz.

I presume this auto switching is ideal.

Also, for a lot of TV's you have to turn on a setting in order to get 4k HDR. On my Bravia it's called "enhanced HDMI"

If not, turning on HDR automatically drops the resolution down to 1080p.

Also, do not force HDR ON with your TV's settings. Leave it on auto. Otherwise the TV estimates HDR on software/content that isn't designed for it. Creates an overly harsh, ugly ass picture.

Top Bottom