• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 Nintendo Direct trailer

-Wii U
-Platinum Games
-Colorful/Tiny cute characters
-Obviously targeted at "gamerz", many of whom bitch since day one it about it being a full retail release (see Rayman Origins sales)
-Silly fun
-Will be dismissed by many as weird and/or japanese looking
-Rather confusing at first

None of that screams success. Maybe okayish sales in Japan (well, depending of the release date, relatively considering the userbase)

I'll still get a Wii U for it though.

It's amazing how agry this post makes me. Because all of these points are completely valid. People who enjoy video games should love this, but hearing the talk about it not being worth 60 dollars and the like just blows me the fuck away.

I fear for this industry in the next few years.

I just want to say this game looks amazing. Keep on fighting the good fight, Nintendo, Platnium. :(

if anyone missed it, this trailer is on the eShop now and it's gooooorgeeeoooouuuuuussssssss

Just watched it three times in a row, i agree.

I predict this game will hit big with the younger crowd. Could just be me, but watching the trailer gives me that feeling you would get when you were younger watching saturday morning cartoons.

Theres something special about this game.

TreIII

It's amazing how agry this post makes me. Because all of these points are completely valid. People who enjoy video games should love this, but hearing the talk about it not being worth 60 dollars and the like just blows me the fuck away.

I fear for this industry in the next few years.

If that's what the industry and those who support it want, let 'em have it.

But as long as the likes of P* and Nintendo allow these kinds of games to be made, I will buy them.

JDSN

Banned
KHkV9ym.png

That is gonna be interesting.

j.rob

This game.
Oh maaaaaan this game.

Its so wacky and crazy and colourful and crazy and over the top and cheesy. I have no complaints at all.

Even the voice acting. If this was any other game, it would be terrible...but W101 is just so OTT that even the voice acting suits it perfectly.

Its like playing a really stupid and silly saturday morning cartoon that you just cant get enough of.

I need this game.

This game has me the most excited for the Nintendo Wii U.
It reminds me of a modern day Super NES game if that makes any sense.
Very Charming, colorful and looks like a fun game to play. wonder how additional play modes if any will be executed.

Yuterald

WOW! Look at those bosses! Holy shit, this is such a Kamiya game. Look at those hit/stop frames too! Game looks butter smooth and extra crunchy! Definitely my most wanted game still for Wii U!

Madouu

How can this thread be only 6 pages. I mean just look at this:

awesomestuffmxu0s.gif

This is the game I'm the most looking forward to on the Wii U right now.

The game still looks awesome.

Nothing has changed.

It might fly under the radar but for me personally, I could see it becoming a "Game of the Year" candidate.

Not that labels like that matter much but I can't see this game disappointing........at all.

Neiteio

The game still looks awesome.

Nothing has changed.

It might fly under the radar but for me personally, I could see it becoming a "Game of the Year" candidate.

Not that labels like that matter much but I can't see this game disappointing........at all.
This absolutely has "Game of the Year contender" written all over it. So does Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. So does Rayman Legends. 2013, itself, may be a contender for Best Year This Gen.

It's crazy how much my opinion of this game has changed over the last year. When I first saw P100 I though it looked like shit. After the 2nd trailer I was impressed. After this trailer I can't wait to play it.

Games like this is why I love Nintendo. They just seem to put out games that are Disney like to me. They just have that magical feeling, I can't explain it.

Def can't wait to get a Wii U next Christmas.

DJ88

Hadn't heard about this game before I bought my Wii U, so I was really happy when I first started learning about it. This trailer just made me absolutely sure I want this game day 1. I really like these games with such a unique style and flair, even the cheesy voice acting fits so perfectly. Also I freaking love the way the city environment looks, like in that waterside bit at the end, you can see the cityscape miles off into the distance in the background. I love it! I just hope it plays as good it looks.

Instro

Looks pretty cool. Is it just me or are the graphics much better than when they showed it at E3?

Well I think a lot of people got turned off by a bad npc model that was shown very early in the first video, and kind of ignored what the game looked like overall. Some the later videos that came out showed a lot of interesting visual choices/effects that worked well together. The use of polygons over texturing for certain things in combination with the lighting gives the game a really nice clean and colorful look where various pieces of the background really pop out to the viewer. The game also seems big on terrain transformation, with lots of shots showing the world being broken up, tilted, blown up, etc, which makes for some pretty engaging visual scenes.

I do think the models have been improved upon though since we last saw it. Looks like they've added various particle effects as well.

Hadn't heard about this game before I bought my Wii U, so I was really happy when I first started learning about it. This trailer just made me absolutely sure I want this game day 1. I really like these games with such a unique style and flair, even the cheesy voice acting fits so perfectly. Also I freaking love the way the city environment looks, like in that waterside bit at the end, you can see the cityscape miles off into the distance in the background. I love it! I just hope it plays as good it looks.

It's a Kamiya joint; it'll handle like butter. No worries there.

I don't like the style of the characters' design. I don't think it will resonate in the West, and that it was part of the reason Viewtiful Joe didn't succeed.

I love everything else about this though, those gifs look amazing. I hope it gets a lot more attention.

It's crazy how much my opinion of this game has changed over the last year. When I first saw P100 I though it looked like shit. After the 2nd trailer I was impressed. After this trailer I can't wait to play it.

Games like this is why I love Nintendo. They just seem to put out games that are Disney like to me. They just have that magical feeling, I can't explain it.

Def can't wait to get a Wii U next Christmas.

I totally agree. I Think what hurt the initial trailer were the close ups showing super low poly characters. but When it zoomed out....Just amazing. Maybe The mother 3/earthbound game will have this type of city graphic style. Could be cool....

Erethian

Wait, when Is kamiya getting interviewed?

Close to the launch of the game there will be an Iwata Asks with Kamiya.

Personally I'm also looking forward to the Iwata Asks: Platinum Games, makes me think Nintendo is keen to continue the relationship after work on W101 and Bayonetta 2 wraps up.

Can't wait for this one, will day one it no question. I'm a fan of Platinum Games, they're definitely a great representation of what Japanese devs can bring to the table.

pr0cs

It's pretty but the music and voices would drive me absolutely nuts. I can see how it would appeal to a lot of people who are tired of 'serious' themes and bland grey and brown palettes.

Personally I'm also looking forward to the Iwata Asks: Platinum Games, makes me think Nintendo is keen to continue the relationship after work on W101 and Bayonetta 2 wraps up.

It will lead into an announcement of a Platinum purchase. ;)

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I love it when videos end with a funny/nonsensical part.
Just adds a sprinkle of charm over the already delicious dessert.

vareon

The Iwata Asks : Developers they seemingly want to start this year will be super interesting.

Erethian

The Iwata Asks : Developers they seemingly want to start this year will be super interesting.

I expect there to be one with all the companies they're collaborating with.

Iwata Asks: Namco Bandai Games
Iwata Asks: Atlus

And whatever the other collaborations are that they're working on at the moment, since Iwata made it clear there's a few still under wraps.

GCX

From a graphic designer's point of view I wish they'd make the logo interesting.

But the actual game look super great.

Top Bottom