• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Exile20

Forgot all about the teleport, I'll have to try that

Also, Saur just started a System Breakdown video series. He's one of the main guys behind that amazing Bayonetta guide, and he's got a lot of impressive action game videos from God Hand to Viewtiful Joe to even No More Heroes, so he's VERY good at figuring games out and breaking down their mechanics.

edit: LOVE the action command cancelling bit in the second half. Do a Stinger with the fist, draw a sword, press B, A which not only confirms your weapon switch but also does the rising sword attack.

I might have to convert to stick. Damn, that shit was awesome. Sep 15th come soon please.

NotLiquid

Store got to me, I can pick up my copy tomorrow morning. I'm so unbelievably excited good lord.

Here's some last minute pre-launch fan art I cooked up.

tumblr_mryki6p6CA1qesqm0o1_1280.png

I might have to convert to stick. Damn, that shit was awesome. Sep 15th come soon please.

Same here. I can't even see some of that stuff being possible using the touch screen. I always felt like they were pushing the morphs to be touch-screen oriented, so that's how I played the demo mainly, but it seems like right stick is definitely the way to go. What a difference. Though of course it's very possible I just suck.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
After watching the Saur video, it kinda makes me think about what might have happened if say, a lot of people had gone into Skate without quite knowing how to use the flick-it system properly.

Maybe the touch screen is throwing folks off; this seems like a Kamiya attempt to evolve the rudimentary Okami system into something a lot more robust. While I can understand the physical technique required with drawing the glyphs being awkward for some people, it seems there's a largely skill-based trajectory to this game system. There's already enough examples of people getting good at this in short order.

Honestly, I cannot criticize it for trying something truly different because Platinum is covering both bases here. Bayonetta 2 is apparently going to be as conventional as expected for the genre, while this game freely goes out on a limb.

Finally tried the demo at a friend's house. I don't think I've ever gone from "holy shit, finally" to "what the hell jaggies, what the fuck is with these controls, omg, one button for attacks, are you serious" to "oh hey, ok, I guess this makes sense and feels ok after all" in the course of 15 minutes before. Once I got used to using the right stick to do the double team attack or whatever, I really got into a nice groove.

Hope this does well :p

Neiteio

REGGIE QUIT TWIDDLING YOUR DICK AND RELEASE THE GAME NOAW

I know that's not how it works. I also don't care!

Hmm is there a way to put out fire? In the first mission (the demo one)
I found a burning building with people on top but have no idea how to get up there.

Edit: Nevermind, figured out how to get up.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I've been meaning to post this for a while so here it is.

74mLlTH.png

Mupod

Also, Saur just started a System Breakdown video series. He's one of the main guys behind that amazing Bayonetta guide, and he's got a lot of impressive action game videos from God Hand to Viewtiful Joe to even No More Heroes, so he's VERY good at figuring games out and breaking down their mechanics.

edit: LOVE the action command cancelling bit in the second half. Do a Stinger with the fist, draw a sword, press B, A which not only confirms your weapon switch but also does the rising sword attack.

My god this video has shattered my perception of reality. Everything I know is a lie.

Incidentally, Saur is the reason I bought God Hand back when it first came out. For that reason I will forever love that man.

Wow, this game has techniques dripping out its buttcheeks. It's only going to get more layered when the unlockable moves are taken into account.

sweet-baby6bljy.gif

hey-babym5z5s.gif

Saur sure is good at making this game look like a piece of cake.

Living in NA is causing me a lot of suffering right about now.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
sweet-baby6bljy.gif

hey-babym5z5s.gif

Saur sure is good at making this game look like a piece of cake.

Living in NA is causing me a lot of suffering right about now.

lkGSVV6.gif

Suffering along with you in NA

Dang0

Depends on your skill level and if you're experienced in character action games. But I can see a lot of people throwing gamepads left and right.

Is it possible to change difficulties mid game? If so I might start on Normal, but if it got too hard I'd turn down the difficulty.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible to change difficulties mid game? If so I might start on Normal, but if it got too hard I'd turn down the difficulty.

Yes. They talked about this specific feature in the Iwata Asks.

javac

People actuality doubted the obviously superior stick? The stick is awesome, precise and quick. How can you play a game like this, take your hand of the right side of the controller and fumble about with the screen?! Even Kamiya prefers the stick. Give it up screen, your time is over!!!

So has anyone found out what the secret final difficulty mode is called? Or is Hard the hardest it gets? I'm waiting for the name that tops Non Stop Infinite Climax.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Multi unite morph is the best thing they added in the game. So much depth.

He's not using Multi-Unite Morph in those gifs

not that I disagree

So has anyone found out what the secret final difficulty mode is called? Or is Hard the hardest it gets? I'm waiting for the name that tops Non Stop Infinite Climax.

Probably will take a few days.

Most people are just getting their hands on the game now. and the people that did get the game ahead of street date are just finishing their first playthroughs.

Shahadan

I wonder how many people will not even notice you can use multiple unite morphs and try to complete the game anyway.

Also GODDAMNIT Hard Mode :lol:
First Mission, 30 seconds in "hey there late game enemy"

Bronetta

I wonder how many people will not even notice you can use multiple unite morphs and try to complete the game anyway.

Also GODDAMNIT Hard Mode :lol:

I was playing the demo with a friend last week and teaching him all the mechanics and controls for the game in co-op. Completely forget to tell him about multi unites. Oh well, next time.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I don't plan on making jokey first posts ever again, so I should be safe.

Btw, the Platinum trailer spoiled the whole game up until whatever the very end is like. Just like Bayonetta did.

I'll be starting on hardest difficulty after finishing the demo like that my last 5 boots. Unfortunately my 20 boots are up, time to buy the game asap! And yeah, the game can be very complex and you sort of have to master the different unites (multis) and morphs to progress.

Hopefully there's a really crazy expanded challenge mode in the full game. And for the record casual play doesn't even seem to require the touchscreen, just the right stick to draw the shapes.

For all you pricks that already get to play the game, I have a question:

I know that while you seem to be able to level up the "other select heroes" you find during the game, they don't really change the gameplay too much as they are kind of like clones and share the same types of Unite Morphs as the main heroes.

My question is...do their Unite Morphs look exactly like the main heroes(possibly with a different color) or do they look slightly different in aesthetics???

Shahadan

Btw for those wondering, once you completed the story mode, you can play again on a higher difficulty setting and keep everything you bought/collected. This includes heroes, of course. Personally I didn't get enough money to buy everything in my first playthrough.

You also unlock many things, accessible from the main menu, including Member Files (what you get when you recruit a random hero), Enemy Files, HQ Models Gallery (for main characters only), Sound Test and an awesome Artwork Gallery :3

My question is...do their Unite Morphs look exactly like the main heroes(possibly with a different color) or do they look slightly different in aesthetics???
Exact same thing, they have different weapons though but you obviously can't see them. It's a shame but that was to be expected. I still love my Wonder Yeti though.
Also I hate your username, the song gets stuck in my head everytime you post >(

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that was really petty. "durr I'm not calling anyone else, but let me shame and link these posts weren't those idiots wrong"

That was the past, this is now. Get over it.

*scans old thread for ViewtifulJC replies*

I kid, and I agree, it's rather lame. It is interesting to get a general impression of how the general impression of the game has changed over the year though. But there's no need for naming and shaming.

Gambit

driving to Austria today specifically to buy the game in Salzburg. (The cover is too cool to ruin with an ugly German USK stamp).

Can't wait!

CoolS

Yay someone pulled the plug on my WiiU before the download was finished and the download was corrupted. Now I have to download THE WHOLE 10 GB again :(

monome

played 4 hrs yesterday.

the game, is awesome. really.

stick user unless I have to do a bizarre shape.

fuuuuuu....so few games like this.

gandalfruntotheshop&buyityoufools.gif

JoeInky

Got it for £22 from shopto, really wish I'd remembered the points I had so I could have ordered it earlier, probably won't get it till monday now.

Top Bottom