• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Forgot all about the teleport, I'll have to try that

Also, Saur just started a System Breakdown video series. He's one of the main guys behind that amazing Bayonetta guide, and he's got a lot of impressive action game videos from God Hand to Viewtiful Joe to even No More Heroes, so he's VERY good at figuring games out and breaking down their mechanics.

edit: LOVE the action command cancelling bit in the second half. Do a Stinger with the fist, draw a sword, press B, A which not only confirms your weapon switch but also does the rising sword attack.

hnnnnnng that saur video is so incredible

I can't wait to pick up a wii U. Hardass action gaming is my bread and butter.

monome

People actuality doubted the obviously superior stick? The stick is awesome, precise and quick. How can you play a game like this, take your hand of the right side of the controller and fumble about with the screen?! Even Kamiya prefers the stick. Give it up screen, your time is over!!!

the screen has its uses, even tho I use the stick.

At first I thought I'd get a pro controller to replay the game and eventually get on some MP couch action...but with rather few friends able to grasp the game's mechanics if they only play now and then, and the "usefullness" of the touchscreen...I'm undecided.

I believe the situation will be the same for Bayo, when all is said and done about ergonomics etc...a second screen still will be usefull for items, weapons etc...

Good job Nintendo/PG*, you've made me a believer.
I won't mind a screen controller for your next home console.

Fabrik

Banned
So, is this game difficult on normal? Heard it made some reviewers cry.

No problem so far for the first 4-5 hours. I died around 5-6 times. I'd say my first playthrough is similar to Bayonetta at the moment.

Question: after each mission, you have a result screen and a message on the gamepad saying to touch the Miiverse icon to post your result but the icon doesn't open Miiverse. What am I doing wrong?

monome

No problem so far for the first 4-5 hours. I died around 5-6 times. I'd say my first playthrough is similar to Bayonetta at the moment.

Question: after each mission, you have a result screen and a message on the gamepad saying to touch the Miiverse icon to post your result but the icon doesn't open Miiverse. What am I doing wrong?

did not notice that prompt.

that said, picture grabbing/miiverse sending does work. have you tried it during gameplay?

monome

a thread title prediction 14 months from now

GAMESTOP Selling The Wonderful 101 for $80

hummm...I would suggest buying the game on its merits.

1/ eshop
2/ game has potential to be evergreen (never Mario/Kawashima numbers, but slow/steady), so I wouldn't count out reprints.

I chose to buy it at retail, and will rebuy it on eshop once I have another WiiU game to play.

PG* <3 (I bought every PG* game twice at least, only game I don't digitally own is Anarchy but I imported the JP version and bought the Pal one)

Lyonaz

This game is Wonderful!
Played the first 2 missions and the boss fights has been fun. I use the screen to pull off stronger Unite Morphs and the stick for quick morphs and multiple morphs, working great so far.

Gah, have work now and FFXIV tomorrow, gonna play this game all night after work.

monome

This game is Wonderful!
Played the first 2 missions and the boss fights has been fun. I use the screen to pull off stronger Unite Morphs and the stick for quick morphs and multiple morphs, working great so far.

Gah, have work now and FFXIV tomorrow, gonna play this game all night after work.

Frodo

Just emailed Nintendo support about the discount I didn't get.

Anyway, got the game and that is what matters! :D

Shahadan

Watching some let's play video and seeing some people struggle with what to do and such make me appreciate the game even more :lol:
I love how it uses your gaming knowledge and quick thinking. It was a huge part of my enjoyment of the hydra boss, for example. Everything just made sense to me right away, I immediately knew what I had to do, and it's an awesome feeling. Like your are in some sort of perfect attunement/symbiosis state with the game, you know? I don't know if that makes sense.

The game has been delivered. And I'm at work. I need to escape.

Fake bomb alert?

Majukun

Also, Saur just started a System Breakdown video series. He's one of the main guys behind that amazing Bayonetta guide, and he's got a lot of impressive action game videos from God Hand to Viewtiful Joe to even No More Heroes, so he's VERY good at figuring games out and breaking down their mechanics.

edit: LOVE the action command cancelling bit in the second half. Do a Stinger with the fist, draw a sword, press B, A which not only confirms your weapon switch but also does the rising sword attack.

as expected from kamiya...

i just hope the challenge is high enough tomake useful such understanding of the mechanics

thefro

as expected from kamiya...

i just hope the challenge is high enough tomake useful such understanding of the mechanics

From the Iwata Asks:

Iwata: There's also a mode to satisfy all the users who are confident in their skills.

Yamagami That's right. We've also prepared a really hard mode that should probably be called 'A challenge from Kamiya.' How hard is it? Probably only Kamiya-san and the super debuggers from Mario Club are able to beat it.

Inaba: No, Kamiya can't do it.

Matsushita: It was so challenging, I asked Kamiya-san to help us out with the debugging process, but he said he couldn't do it.

Everyone: (laughs)

Good luck getting Pure Platinum on that easily

Salih

I wonder what some reviewers feel when they watch a video like this after what they wrote...

"gaem is brokeh cant draw shapes fast enough frustrating drawing too slow fo action gaem"

Yeah... right.
i rather wonder what some gaffers who bashed the control system have to say about this.

also #TeamRightStick

This game. Is. Amazing.

Just finished the first proper mission and the attention to detail is astounding. For the first time in many years, I found a secret in a video game that I just couldn't figure out how to solve even though it was right in front of me. I tried every tool I knew of (Hand absorbing fire, hang-glider etc) and still couldn't figure it out. Thank you, Kamiya <3

Gameplay is crazy hectic, much like Bayonetta, and I keep getting hit because I don't recognize the enemy tells yet. I can see how some people might find that frustrating, but personally - I'm loving every second of it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Really glad to see the game has good combo potential, even if the entry system to do so is a touch obtuse.

Look forward to playing it sometime next year as a double-bill with Bayo 2..

sweet-baby6bljy.gif

hey-babym5z5s.gif

Saur sure is good at making this game look like a piece of cake.

Living in NA is causing me a lot of suffering right about now.

KBhtD.gif

BY2K

Membero Americo

This is pretty much a big "fuck you" to any reviewer saying the controls are bad.

This video needs more exposure.

I wonder what some reviewers feel when they watch a video like this after what they wrote...

"gaem is brokeh cant draw shapes fast enough frustrating drawing too slow fo action gaem"

Yeah... right.

I made light of it in a post but it was only a matter of time before Youtube videos showed how off some of the reviewers were.

I know what a "broken" game feels like and minutes into the demo, I knew they nailed the controls as good as they could with the mechanics at hand.

They might not work every time for everyone but that doesn't mean it's the game's fault.

If the controls were as problematic as many said, you wouldn't be able to pull off what that dude did and people that actually take the time learn will do.

Perfect controls???

Maybe not.

Problems with the controls???

Stick with it or maybe it's just not the game for you.

Top Bottom