• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I like how the store I went to had more display cases than actual game copies

but I guess they're pushing digital in store as well.

Regiruler

It's a niche game that you didn't preorder for a system that most people haven't bought. I'm surprised they even had a copy of the game.

My gamestop had multiple copies as well as some display cases.

EDIT: Anyone still team screen? I know I am although I have a slight advantage in that I can do it with my left hand so I can still do combos with the buttons at the same time. I only use right stick for secret windows/wonder toilets and for moving and lining at the same time.

Roto13

Alright GAF, I picked up my copy and I'm finally ready to join this party! Woohoo!

Any advice before I begin?

Immediately get Unite Spring and Unite Guts and Quick Charge. Use the item mixing system (it's the same as Bayonetta's) to make credit cards.

Other than that, you'll figure it out as you go. :p

I bought a wiiU for this game and right now I am so freaking glaaaaad I did.

*brofist*

So, AmeriGAF. Is there any TV ads running for tw101 in your country? Because in Germany there is none, while I get bombed with Animal Crossing.

The videogame ads usually run on the german comedy central or prosieben. Nothing at all.

Edith: I got a Wii U for tw101 and Bayo 2 as well. And I'm happy about it. Enjoying Luigi U, too. Also Monster Hunter.

Mark L

This game makes me physically happy. I just get this huge grin on my face. I am so glad I waited on GTA for this.

I actually laughed out loud when (early spoiler)
Blue was fired out of Green's gun. Imagine my surprise when I realized that the gun actually *does* fire people!

This instantly made me think of a certain Perry Bible Fellowship comic. Am I alone here?

ffdgh

So, AmeriGAF. Is there any TV ads running for tw101 in your country? Because in Germany there is none, while I get bombed with Animal Crossing.

The videogame ads usually run on the german comedy central or prosieben. Nothing at all.

Edith: I got a Wii U for tw101 and Bayo 2 as well. And I'm happy about it. Enjoying Luigi U, too. Also Monster Hunter.

I haven't seen a single one =/

daakusedo

This game froze again during a PP run, it's astonishing how against me it is...
Patching seriously needed, the game is full of glitch on top of that.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I know, it has happened to me as well. The game is rough around the edges.

kunonabi

My gamestop had multiple copies as well as some display cases.

EDIT: Anyone still team screen? I know I am although I have a slight advantage in that I can do it with my left hand so I can still do combos with the buttons at the same time. I only use right stick for secret windows/wonder toilets and for moving and lining at the same time.

yeah, i'm still using the screen for everything other than lining for secrets, etc. the screen works better for me in regards to claw, hammer, and the bomb since i find those really awkward on the right stick. using your left thumb and not trying to do the exact pattern works wonders when using the touch screen.

D-e-f-

Banned

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the freezing issues with games still come from the poor state of the OS. Fall Update can't come soon enough...

JoeFenix

That sucks, thankfully I've never had the game crash on me. I agree that it could definitely use a final layer of polish and I hope they get the chance to patch it.

Some things are just weird, the way the game saves when going into and leaving Kahkoo-Regahs was consistent until 2-A where it didn't save after finishing it. I had to retry after missing the time requirement on the next mission and it put me back at the Kahkoo-Regah entrance thinking it was completed but apparently not.

I've had the
section where you control the turret tank glitch out on me, the gyro was stuck looking up. Nothing would fix it other than hitting retry

It's kind of surprising because Nintendo QA is usually really really good. I guess the game really did come down to the wire in terms of Kamiya wanting features added up to the last minute. Those little glitches and the fairly long load times are my only legit complaints, nothing else really bothers me about the game.

daakusedo

I don't know why the loading times are so long and past a certain point, you have nothing interesting to do during that little training time as the little minions are so weak.
I was so pumped when trying that PP run as I decided to straight run to the end because now I'm pretty sure it's the overall time that played against me, so the freezing killed me.

JoeFenix

I don't know why the loading times are so long and past a certain point, you have nothing interesting to do during that little training time as the little minions are so weak.
I was so pumped when trying that PP run as I decided to straight run to the end because now I'm pretty sure it's the overall time that played against me, so the freezing killed me.

I don't get it though, I'm pretty sure your total time is just the sum of all your mission times added up together. If you get PP on all missions your total time should be low, pretty sure that's how it was in Bayo and that's how it works here.

JoeFu

Banned
Did the Metal Gear Rising reference make anybody else bust out laughing? Really awesomely timed and everything. This game is just alsdkfjas;lkgjas;ldkfjas;lgkhjas;ldfkj;asgklajsdf

I'm not sure what game can top this for me. Storywise and everything. It was just so good. One of my all time favorites. Gonna take a break from it while playing WWHD before diving into hard mode.

Boogiepop

Just finished Mission 1. Crazy that something that epic happens so early in the game. :) Having a lot of fun so far, though I can tell there's a LOT to figure out about the game. I also need to step my game up as I just got two consolation prizes in a row, heh.

Also, just out of curiosity: I'm guessing this is bombing in America pretty bad like it did elsewhere? Shame if so, as the game seems awesome.

daakusedo

I don't get it though, I'm pretty sure your total time is just the sum of all your mission times added up together. If you get PP on all missions your total time should be low, pretty sure that's how it was in Bayo and that's how it works here.

There's also time between missions because if I only count the time for missions I never get to 18 mn, which was my previous time.

Also, just out of curiosity: I'm guessing this is bombing in America pretty bad like it did elsewhere? Shame if so, as the game seems awesome.

I don't think there's any way of telling just yet, but I'm guessing it will bomb pretty hard. I'm in Canada and out of me and my 3 friends that also own Wii Us, I'm the only one who bought this game. It's a shame, because I'm loving it so far. I think I've actually logged more time into this than GTA V since I got them both on Tuesday.

JoeFenix

There's also time between missions because if I only count the time for missions I never get to 18 mn, which was my previous time.

I'll have to test it out at some point, usually as long as I have ALL the PP on missions and don't die/reload in the Kahkoo-Regah I get the PP at the end. I just did 2-B and am working on 2-C right now.

zlCfzRIbutMfR9eadA

Do you have any Pure Platinums currently? Which Ops are giving you problems?

I'd like to figure this out, I really wonder what the sticking point is...

Edit: Looked at my final results screen and added up all the time for my PP missions on 1-A and it matches up to the time on the result screen give or take a couple seconds.

JoeFenix

It's 4-A on hard.

First attempt
zlCfzRICyAAGFfKfJK

Second one at 18mn.
zlCfzRIEUYYv97ari1

That only shows 6 missions, scroll through with the right stick and add up the times. I'm not familiar with Op 4-A yet so I can't tell if you missed anything but it doesn't look like it unless there's a secret mission at the very end.

Are you using items that give you a penalty?

I've decided to read a couple of the reviews after having spent some time with the game and it's depressing really.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but when I see stuff like the controls are awful or remove the ranking system it just makes me sad. It's like I'm living in bizarro land, how can you play through this game and just shrug your shoulders. Meh, just another dumb videogame with stupid ranks and messy gameplay.

I wouldn't really care if it wasn't for the comment sections having tons of people saying that they loved the demo but will skip the full game because of the reviews. Edge called this game bloated and repetitive.... What the hell were they playing? This game literally throws EVERYTHING and the kitched sink at you in an effort to entertain. This is one of the most well rounded games I've ever seen honestly. What are your standards exactly?

Oh well, this game will be good for all eternity and years down the line more and more people will see it for what it is. A masterpiece, simple as that. I keep making discoveries that make me completely rethink how I'm playing and I feel like I have so much more to learn. It's such a great "game" AND it's a more entertaining spectacle than anything else I've played that claims to be cinematic and blockbuster. It doesn't hold your hand either, I've had so much fun breaking down these sections until I just completely annihilate them.

It's worth buying a Wii U for if you love action games, especially with the promise of Bayonetta 2 on the horizon. This is "next-gen" in terms of gameplay and that's where it counts.

I've stayed away from reviews due to my blind faith in Platinum Games/Kamiya. But that is sad to hear. If you're not a PG fanboy/girl, it's pretty obvious that this game is in no way repetitive. I wonder how much they even played of it...

Anyways, I agree this game is worth buying a Wii U for. To me, being truly "next-gen" means that something new, challenging and refreshing is being offered to consumers in the form of game play and entertainment. This game is a fantastic example of it, imo. The Wii U gamepad has a decent mix of the old and familiar controls we're all used to. But just enough in order to provide developers with a chance to spice things up and take advantage of the newer tech.

zroid

Banned
omggggg I got pretty good at the demo back in August, but I still managed to suck a big one on the first level ;_;

this gaaaaaame

Regiruler

Team Screen for the win as Unite
Bowgun
and Unite
Goggles
are really fucking hard to do with the stick.
Side Note: Unite Drill Spring + Dodge Mine + Hero Time + Hero Sense = a fun time

EDIT: I don't really care about Bayonetta anymore as I saw you can unlock
Chewgi
(obvious best character) and
Hair Nelson
(second best character)
EDIT2: I want DLC where you can fight
Heyougah
. I don't care for the specifics, whether you go
back in time
or
he/she's revived
, I just want to actually fight them all.

taoofjord

4-5 hours in and this is one of the most enjoyable action games I've ever played. And what a treat for lovers and appreciators of giant robots, power rangers, over-the-top action, and Saturday morning cartoons. Platinum, you've shown your brilliance yet again.

Squishy3

Just a thought, are there any Custom powers that mess with your ranking? Like auto guard or something like that?
AFAIK none of them affect your ranking, but the one that gives you unlimited unite gauge make you unable to post your ranking screens to Miiverse.

Regiruler

I still think that there was a bit too many references that somewhat spoiled the moment a bit in 008.

AFAIK none of them affect your ranking, but the one that gives you unlimited unite gauge make you unable to post your ranking screens to Miiverse.
Not to mention that is only usable on easy iirc.

Tendo

I played the demo on normal and sucked. Did anyone else struggle with the demo and do ok in retail? Just afraid of picking it up and getting a whooping and being frustrated.

I played the demo on normal and sucked. Did anyone else struggle with the demo and do ok in retail? Just afraid of picking it up and getting a whooping and being frustrated.
Buy it and practice. You will get better, and learn better ways defending/attacking. Things you struggle with initial, you learn to take out in literally seconds with practice.

Squishy3

I still think that there was a bit too many references that somewhat spoiled the moment a bit in 008.

Not to mention that is only usable on easy iirc.
You're thinking of Full Automatic, which is not the same thing as the Infinite Energy block. Full Automatic lets you do cool combos by mashing. Infinite Energy gives you infinite unite gauge.

codhand

I've decided to read a couple of the reviews after having spent some time with the game and it's depressing really.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but when I see stuff like the controls are awful or remove the ranking system it just makes me sad. It's like I'm living in bizarro land, how can you play through this game and just shrug your shoulders. Meh, just another dumb videogame with stupid ranks and messy gameplay.

I wouldn't really care if it wasn't for the comment sections having tons of people saying that they loved the demo but will skip the full game because of the reviews. Edge called this game bloated and repetitive.... What the hell were they playing? This game literally throws EVERYTHING and the kitched sink at you in an effort to entertain. This is one of the most well rounded games I've ever seen honestly. What are your standards exactly?

Oh well, this game will be good for all eternity and years down the line more and more people will see it for what it is. A masterpiece, simple as that. I keep making discoveries that make me completely rethink how I'm playing and I feel like I have so much more to learn. It's such a great "game" AND it's a more entertaining spectacle than anything else I've played that claims to be cinematic and blockbuster. It doesn't hold your hand either, I've had so much fun breaking down these sections until I just completely annihilate them.

It's worth buying a Wii U for if you love action games, especially with the promise of Bayonetta 2 on the horizon. This is "next-gen" in terms of gameplay and that's where it counts.

true for me, reviews keeping me at bay, i hear using the stick is better than drawing the specials moves, is this true?

chronosic

Are you sure you didn't hit the miiverse button on the bottom left of the screen? Sometimes I hit that and the game freezes up for 30 seconds or so while it loads up miiverse. It's annoying, but you shouldn't loose any progress if you just wait it out.

You'll get better at it; the game does take quite a bit of practice. I didn't do great in the demo on normal either, but the game starts to feel much more natural after a while. It's so much fun and worth the effort.

D-e-f-

Banned

Play on easy and make it a point to experiment with stuff in the early levels. Go watch Saur's videos. I'm playing on easy my first time through and I suck but I still love every second because I still learn to do cool things all the time.

Squishy3

true for me, reviews keeping me at bay, i hear using the stick is better than drawing the specials moves, is this true?
It all comes down to personal preference. Using the stick lets you keep your hands closer to the face buttons while using the touch screen doesn't. Any of the reviews saying the controls don't work or are extremely inaccurate never bothered to sit down and practice making the shapes for more than a minute.

JoeFenix

I have literally never used the touchpad to draw shapes, I find using the analog stick to be much faster and more precise. There's no way I could do cancel combos using the touchpad.

It's probably fine for casual play though but anyone who wants to get more serious with the game should practice with the stick.

Btw does anyone else have trouble with the unite counters during boss fights? Like on 2-C, the whip counter doesn't always work for me. I'm sure there's something I'm not understanding yet but it's bumming me out.

Top Bottom