• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World Ends With You 10th Anniversary

wow, has it really been 10 years? damn...

Regardless, one of the best DS games ever made and one of the most unique games I've played. It and Chrono Trigger DS are the games that finally got me into JRPGs

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Even with so many people saying it's one of the best JRPG (GAMES) ever, I feel like it's still underappreciated. Just a classic.

The fact that some shitty games get one or more sequels and this gem has died makes me sad.

Loz246789

The worst part about not getting a sequel in 10 years is that with the 3ds dying down, and the wii u being basically dead, it's almost too late for a sequel to the duel screen battle system. It just won't be possible soon, since nothing will actually *have* two screens.

I'd still buy a single screen twewy 2, since there's so much more to the game than that as shown by the ios port, but it's still a shame.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
One of the best, most unique DS games for sure. Really enjoyed it. The difficulty slider bar was really cool.

Whizkid7

Was a really fun game, but I never quite got the hang of the dual screen combat. The upper screen was always my bane; I couldn't balance both very well. My partner up top most of the time I just made block until I could switch my focus.

Those pins though, man. So much effort to evolve.

Dissent-

Neo Member
In High School, this was the RPG that got me in to RPGs. Despite being an Action RPG, finishing TWEWY led me to explore the genre more and fall in love with traditional RPGs. Prior to this, I had only ever finished Super Mario RPG and never got far in any other RPG due to becoming bored with them so quickly. I just had no patience or interest in all the talking, downtime, grinding, random battles, etc.

Thanks for everything TWEWY, maybe some day we'll get that sequel.

One of the worst games I ever played. Main character was a douche and I just randomly scribbled on the touchscreen and won every battle til the point I decided it wasn't worth my time.

FluxWaveZ

Sadly though not a lot of cosmetic changes on the characters when using the Fashions.

Some of that would look really silly in motion. It'd be a nice touch for a game focused on fashion, though.

Definitely one of my favorite RPGs of all time. It's amazing how all of the game's distinct elements are symbiotic, working so well together. A lot of novel ideas that work out, too. The characters, the story, the visuals, the music... it's all exemplary. Once you get a hang of it, the battle system is pretty cool, too.

The pin designs are fantastic:
small.png

One of the worst games I ever played. Main character was a douche and I just randomly scribbled on the touchscreen and won every battle til the point I decided it wasn't worth my time.

It's great how TWEWY also stands out for having actual character arcs and depth, instead of being superficial "what you see is what you get," like in a lot of other games.

Galang

Banned
The worst part about not getting a sequel in 10 years is that with the 3ds dying down, and the wii u being basically dead, it's almost too late for a sequel to the duel screen battle system. It just won't be possible soon, since nothing will actually *have* two screens.

I'd still buy a single screen twewy 2, since there's so much more to the game than that as shown by the ios port, but it's still a shame.

Yeah they really missed the boat with both the 3DS and Wii U being perfect for the sequel. The two screen format was a bit clunky though imo. I can see a single screen attempt working just as good if not better with the right creative team behind it

el3m

Neo Member
Great example of breadth of NDS library and unique game. Never tried the IOS ports. Are they still 32-bit? I remember that they didn't work on the latest iOs version for a while.

Hylian7

TWEWY is one of my favorite games of all time. It was revolutionary when it came out and still is today. The battle system (on the DS version, we don't talk about the mobile version) is my favorite part of it just because of how well it works, even though at first glance it sounds and looks like a complete clusterfuck. The music, story, and characters are all excellent. The art style is really great, especially how it's integrated with all the 2D layering to make the locations look great, especially on the DS.

If you haven't played it yet, hunt down a copy of the DS version. Don't bother with the mobile version. It looks pretty and all, but I can't recommend it with the Battle system being changed to something fairly lame by comparison.

It's also one of the few games I can go back to and look at and say "Yep, that game definitely benefitted from a touch screen and wouldn't have worked without one."

I'm like 80% sure that "Next 7 days" thing was a sequel that was silently canned. I honestly think SE doesn't care and just though "Let's throw them a bone by putting the characters in Kingdom Hearts so they shut up for the next 20 years." The thing is if they were to do a sequel on this day and age (maybe on Switch), while it wouldn't have dual screens, I'm sure they could come up with something for a unique battle system. Hint: The Joycons can be treated as separate controllers.

I... I thought this was an announcement. :(

Me too.
dac15_sad.gif

DFq4OoUXUAAkbES.jpg:large

artwork from SE art director/character designer who worked on the game to celebrate 10th anniversary.

I'm glad someone at SE cares, but it also makes me incredibly sad the rest of the company obviously does not care.

faridmon

One of my favourite games of all time. Spent 150 hours in collecting nearly all the pins. The only ones i was missing was the Tetsuya Namuro one and other 3 I can't remember.

Love the characters, the story, the writing, the combat, the design, the pins design, enemy design, the soundtrack............ basically everything was perfect.

watershed

Banned
I wish we had some news of a sequel to celebrate. If a sequel ever does get made, I'm not sure I want Nomura working on it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I love this game, but I could never play it properly. Finished the game twice without bothering with the top screen.

PlatStrat

Neo Member
So what is GAF's opinion on the android version? Is it still playable on the latest version of Android? Is it worth it or should I just track down a DS copy?

Drexxciya

Neo Member
This game is so good, it's criminal. I immediately think of TWEWY when I think about the title that used the hardware to its full capacity - the flow of combat in this game feels unparalleled by any other game on the console, and certainly many other RPGs. I gotta pick up a copy again soon!

Permanently A

Wow, already a decade since I played one of the greatest games every made. TWEWY 2 is the next white whale after KH3 and Versus 13.

For all the hate the iOS version got, I think it's really good! You don't have to mess around with the DS functions like mingling and the art and OST is improved. Of course the gameplay takes a hit, but anyone who thought the DS gameplay was overwhelming will find the iOS version to be perfect.

Hylian7

So what is GAF's opinion on the android version? Is it still playable on the latest version of Android? Is it worth it or should I just track down a DS copy?

Track down a DS copy. I have no idea if it's still playable on the latest version of Android, but regardless the DS version is the one you want to play. The mobile version really gimped the battle system, despite looking pretty and having the full music tracks.

Jacobson

One of my favorite games ever. So good that even though I beat the game on a flashcart, I bought an original cartridge once I got a job, and beat the game again. Still hoping for a sequel. Fuck square

Second favorite game of all time, love Solo remix too despite the haters (That countdown was ice cold though).

It was really cool how they kept doing remix cds years after the game came out, a lot of them are amazing.

If they ever do a sequel, I'll treat it like I'm treating FLCL2: It's great that they're making one, but I don't think they can channel what made the first one great after all of this time.

raven777

Second favorite game of all time, love Solo remix too despite the haters (That countdown was ice cold though).

It was really cool how they kept doing remix cds years after the game came out, a lot of them are amazing.

If they ever do a sequel, I'll treat it like I'm treating FLCL2: It's great that they're making one, but I don't think they can channel what made the first one great after all of this time.

Solo remix is worth a try for high quality visual + sound alone.

Gnomist

Never played this but I always was curious based on the art direction and OST. It would be neat if they revisit this world (and similarly niche SE game worlds) in Kingdom Hearts 3.

Realeza

Banned

Everytime I see this avatar, I'm prepared for the most dumbshit post of the day. This didn't disappoint.

I stand by Solo remix being a perfectly acceptable way to experience the game. I would be all over it if they tested the waters for a sequel with a 3DS/Switch port. Maintain Solo's presentation for both, 3DS maintains old battle system, Switch uses single screen one.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
This game has probably the best difficulty scaling I have ever encountered in a game. You can make it as easy or difficult as you want and you're rewarded for making it harder so it has a purpose.

Yeah, loved that system---was excited to see it in Kid Icarus Uprising as well.

GamerJM

Banned
I completely forgot about the huge gap between the US release and the Japanese one. I remember there was a period of time where I didn't think the game was going to get a US release and lost interest.

Deeda

Good game, but would've been better if it had a less annoying protagonist.

Just because you become less of a whiny jerk doesn't mean it's "good character progression"

Amirnol

How is this game on a phone? Much better on a tablet or no? Is the mobile version's battle system really dumbed down? I missed this one on DS so this would be my first experience with it.

Realeza

Banned

Just because you become less of a whiny jerk doesn't mean it's "good character progression"

I disagree with that. It works wonders with the main theme of the game.

Nightbird

Neku had actual character progression, and to ne honest: he had every right to be the way he was. Dude went trough some shit.

@Topic:

TWEWY still is my favorite singular game of all time. It took me by surprise when I played it, and I'm still sad that I didn't knew about the game when it mattered.

I really wish SE would greenlight that sequel they teased.

Ah, and no more countdown websites!

This game is so good. Absolutely one of the best DS games, if not the best. Art, music, story, characters, and gameplay... Everything was completely on point.

Joshua is probably my favorite character from this game, such an interesting guy.

MrPanic

This game is still easily in my top 10 best games ever made, such a great experience. Hopefully we'll get something soon, regardless of it being a sequel or another port.

Top Bottom