• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World Ends With You - Solo Remix (iPhone/iPad) announced [Out Now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario007

The combat looks dreadful, using Shiki as a pin is awful. Should have went with AI controlled partner rather than this.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Guess I can go back to forgetting TWEWY exists, along with Final Fantasy. Didn't even realize my favorite publisher became my most hated.

I'm sorry, but that's a really dumb thing to say. So this "port" exists, right? It doesn't retro-actively make the original TWEWY bad, right?

Shinta

Banned
You know, if they put this on Vita, I wouldn't even be disappointed with this countdown. SQEX really seems to hate Vita. Hopefully TGS proves otherwise.

Oh well, the remix album should be neat. I didn't expect them to go for a single screen with this game, so that's interesting. And I still think we might get a sequel at some point.

You know, if they put this on Vita, I wouldn't even be disappointed with this countdown.
What, exactly, would be the difference, in this scenario?

In both instances they're teasing current fans with the exact same game they've already played on inadequate hardware.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
You prefer a crippled version of a game that actually did something genuinely unique?
He said he never used the second screen so I don't see why he should care. It's a different game now, but even without dual screens everything else genuinely unique about the game seems to still be there, and that's a lot. The real concern here is if they managed to nail the gameplay with Neku.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, this is turning out about as expected. Yeesh, Square Enix could have at least come in at a reasonable price considering the DS original new is retailing for 20 USD.

Goli

I think I heard a couple of the new tracks in there.

I'm normally the first to complain about awful flash-like "HD" 2D visuals (see Final Fantasy PSP atrocities and FF Dimensions) but I think everything looks solid here except the font. Some artstyles are better suited for this than others I suppose.

FF PSP games looked great.
FFD not so much.

Shinta

Banned
What, exactly, would be the difference, in this scenario?

In both instances they're teasing current fans with the exact same game they've already played on inadequate hardware.

The difference is, if it was on Vita I might get it again to see the new features. And it would have physical buttons and rear touch options. It's not the exact same game. It has new music, slightly altered visuals and altered gameplay.

Yes the same is true, it's not the sequel we both wanted. But there's no need to act like they've deeply insulted the entire fanbase. It's just a port. The series isn't dead for all time. This might be a sign that they're working on a sequel that we'll see eventually. I think modeling all the characters in 3D and putting them in KH shows that they're probably working on something.

The only thing that I thought was upsetting was Brian Gray's badly thought out tweets. But I'm over it. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have expected as much as I did. A TWEWY sequel would probably be revealed at a big trade show like TGS.

Mario007

You know, if they put this on Vita, I wouldn't even be disappointed with this countdown. SQEX really seems to hate Vita. Hopefully TGS proves otherwise.

Oh well, the remix album should be neat. I didn't expect them to go for a single screen with this game, so that's interesting. And I still think we might get a sequel at some point.

Square hasn't really started supporting the 3DS either until the 3DS pre-TGS conference last year.

He said he never used the second screen so I don't see why he should care. It's a different game now, but even without dual screens everything else genuinely unique about the game seems to still be there, and that's a lot. The real concern here is if they managed to nail the gameplay with Neku.

The problem is that the gameplay mechanic was really the the hook and a complete melding together of the narrative and the gameplay. Basically the combat system pretty much defined the lessons Neku has to learn during the game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
People shouldn't be mad they had unrealistic expectations.

I don't think it's that outlandish of an expectation since most games at TGS are announced just prior to TGS.

The only reason it was a bad idea to expect something is because the company involved.

Emitan

I don't think it's that outlandish of an expectation since most games at TGS are announced just prior to TGS.

The only reason it was a bad idea to expect something is because the company involved.

I always expect disappointment from companies now. I am usually right :)

Silvawuff

I think any attention to the series is a good thing, even if SE's attempt at a port is hamfisted.

Could this maybe be SE testing the waters to see if there is enough interest in the property for a full-blown sequel?

But nothing Square has ever done a countdown for has ever been significant. Why would that change now?
There were some X Factors this time; Nomura talking about the future of the series, Dream Drop Distance JUST came out, the translator was saying dumb things on Twitter, etc.

Fuu

The problem is that the gameplay mechanic was really the the hook and a complete melding together of the narrative and the gameplay. Basically the combat system pretty much defined the lessons Neku has to learn during the game.
It still has a partner/fusion system though, it's obviously not as tightly neat as the original game but it's not like they completely scrapped it. The theme is still there.

DR2K

Banned
You guys really need to lower your expectations with SE. This game isn't going to do well on the ios, and even if it does it won't be enough for SE to consider it well. Lose lose situation.

You guys really need to lower your expectations with SE. This game isn't going to do well on the ios, and even if it does it won't be enough for SE to consider it well. Lose lose situation.

And even if it did sell well enough, they would make the sequel an iOS game too so...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fuu

I don't know what are the chances for this port but doesn't that depend on their expectations? They've been releasing $15+ games on iOS forever now and they keep doing it, so people there must be satisfied with the results.

Mario007

It still has a partner/fusion system though, it's obviously not as tightly neat as the original game but it's not like they completely scrapped it. The theme is still there.

Using a pin to help you as opposed to two parallel worlds where you fight, passing the puck between you and your partner and depend on the partner to finish off some enemies while the partner also depends on you is a very water-down way of using the concept.

Fuu

Using a pin to help you as opposed to two parallel worlds where you fight, passing the puck between you and your partner and depend on the partner to finish off some enemies while the partner also depends on you is a very water-down way of using the concept.
I don't disagree, I'm just saying there's so much more to the game than that. Removing/changing one feature isn't enough to make me completely dismiss it from the get go. If it plays like crap, that's a different story.

heringer

Maybe you still need your partner to finish of some enemies (mainly bosses). It's still early to judge, but I guess your opinion was already formed before we knew anything.

I don't mind the visuals. They look pretty snazzy as far as I can tell (MMX ios this is not) Nor do I mind no longer having to control the other character on a top screen. I hated that part of the original tbh. Overall not a bad looking remake/port or whatever. Sometimes the amount of hate and anger people have over stuff like this is laughable.

also

Banned

What theme? I, Neku Sakuraba will do all the hard work while you relax? It's okay if you want to help every now and then, but don't forget to take a break.
So much for players who forged a pact being in this together.

It kind of makes sense since the game is releasing so soon. They basically crammed all their marketing into just that, so I'll give it a pass, personally.
It doesn't make sense though. Maybe there's something I'm not understanding but putting a countdown on an existing game's site teasing something related to that existing game seems to me like it would be aimed at fans of that game. And fans of that game have already played that game, so what purpose does it serve to tease those fans with a crippled version of that same game?

Fuu

What theme? I, Neku Sakuraba will do all the hard work while you relax? It's okay if you want to help every now and then, but don't forget to take a break.
So much for players who forged a pact being in this together.
I won't keep "defending" this particular change because I haven't played the game yet and I don't even know the details. For all I know, yes, it may be total shit. I'd just rather try to keep an open mind before I play it because it looks like they tried to make it work.

Lol, either the person playing this is a total scrub, or this game is broken. Never seen more boring battles in a game.
Those are tutorial battles with slow ass frogs that barely attack you. I'm more worried about anything past the first week.

heringer

Lol, either the person playing this is a total scrub, or this game is broken. Never seen more boring battles in a game.

Honestly, while I appreciate Sanuku's efforts to record these videos, I'm annoyed at every single one of his videos because he pretty much suck at gaming. It's always super jarring to watch how bad he plays. He's a cool dude though, so I don't complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom