• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World Ends With You - Solo Remix (iPhone/iPad) announced [Out Now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

also

Banned
It doesn't make sense though. Maybe there's something I'm not understanding but putting a countdown on an existing game's site teasing something related to that existing game seems to me like it would be aimed at fans of that game. And fans of that game have already played that game, so what purpose does it serve to tease those fans with a crippled version of that same game?

The game has plenty of zetta awesome reasons for long time fans to double dip.

I wish this was up in the US store. While it's a compromised version of the original vision, the new art and features do sound interesting.

I will just treat this version as the Another Day, bizzaroland edition of TWEWY.

It doesn't make sense though. Maybe there's something I'm not understanding but putting a countdown on an existing game's site teasing something related to that existing game seems to me like it would be aimed at fans of that game. And fans of that game have already played that game, so what purpose does it serve to tease those fans with a crippled version of that same game?

Better visuals, improved audio quality, a new battle system that takes advantage of the hardware's capabilities; the iOS port is hardly crippled, it's just different.

Mario007

Maybe you still need your partner to finish of some enemies (mainly bosses). It's still early to judge, but I guess your opinion was already formed before we knew anything.

My opinion was formed by the video. I was actually mildly excited for this (because I have an android device and Square does android ports a few months after an iOS release) but seeing the battles really destroys what the combat of the original so unique along with, as I mentioned already, the prevailing theme of the game. I mean even the name, 'Solo Remix', goes directly against the the 'The World Ends with You' theme the game built.

The game has plenty of zetta awesome reasons for long time fans to double dip.
Not when one of the core mechanics has been completely removed, no. Long time fans should be disgusted at this version.

The only advantage this release has is having the full versions of all of the songs.

But you can just buy the soundtrack for that. :)

Ugly ass flash-art. Broken-dreams-GAF should all replay TWEWY.
I'm thinking about it, but I would need to buy a new copy.

I actually got to use the Mingle Mode at conventions and gathered a good amount of ESPer Cards and it would be very sad to delete that save.

Stupid one save slot game.

Looks competent enough, particularly once the player got the hang of the controls. Seems like it would work better on the iPhone than the iPad, where you can keep one thumb on controlling the pins and the other on the partner pin. Liked the uncompressed music. The simplification of the partner system was expected, but it seems to work well enough, though I'll still need to see the fusion aspect in action.

Not when one of the core mechanics has been completely removed, no. Long time fans should be disgusted at this version.

The only advantage this release has is having the full versions of all of the songs.

But have you actually personally played the battle system in this one? Maybe it's better...maybe it's worse. You just seem 100% sure it's a crippling monstrosity, yet all you have seen are pics and videos.If you want to play the pure version you love, you can still do that on the DS. I don't see what's so wrong with having a re-tooled version that might even be better than the original.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Do you seriously think not having a second screen invalidates all the other systems in TWEWY? I'm interested to see how it turned out, but thanks for telling how the other fans should feel! I'm one of the longest time fans of this game around these parts, I followed it since the first announcement in Famitsu and posted the most in the GAF OT (I know this just means I post on GAF a lot but still). If it ends up being competent, I'm definitely up for a new version of one of my favorite games ever, even if it's somehow watered-down or whatever. My copy of the DS game doesn't seem to have turned into flames yet, so that's a good sign too for when I want to replay it.

Anyway, I'm done with this matter before I get to actually play the game. I'll probably post impressions, be them good or bad, in another thread where there's a point.

heringer

My opinion was formed by the video. I was actually mildly excited for this (because I have an android device and Square does android ports a few months after an iOS release) but seeing the battles really destroys what the combat of the original so unique along with, as I mentioned already, the prevailing theme of the game. I mean even the name, 'Solo Remix', goes directly against the the 'The World Ends with You' theme the game built.

Well, based on your posts before the video it seemed to me that you were already dead set on the opinion that the combat wouldn't work with one screen only, so...

It's just the tutorial battles though. Without seeing how the rythm of cross combos and sync to fusion will work with late enemies, it's hard to judge IMO.

But have you actually personally played the battle system in this one? Maybe it's better...maybe it's worse. You just seem 100% sure it's a crippling monstrosity, yet all you have seen are pics and videos.If you want to play the pure version you love, you can still do that on the DS. I don't see what's so wrong with having a re-tooled version that might even be better than the original.
I've played the original game at an expert level mastering the dual-screen battle system, fighting many bosses at Ultimate difficultly level with my stats manually turned (almost) all the way down. All I need is familiarity with my iPhone and a description of what they've done to know it's worse. I also don't need to actually swallow a burning coal to know that that sucks. Some times you just know.

Clunker

The schadenfreude is wonderful in here, even for GAF. Looking forward to seeing more of the game, and I might even pick it up at launch if it's a good port. I really enjoyed TWEWY when it came out, finished it, and sold it off, so I might snag the iOS version for something more portable and always available. I don't mind paying handheld-tier prices for good games - I happily spent my $18 on FFT - though I really hate that SE splits its iPhone and iPad versions.

It would be nice if the continued showing of support for iOS as a platform would actually encourage people to check it out and enjoy it for what it is - instead of blindly raging against it and sticking their heads in the sand to ignore that it will continue to receive support in the coming years - but I suppose that is a bit too much to ask these days.

Oh man. I was never a TWEWY fan, but I feel bad for everyone that was expecting a sequel announcement. This sucks -- this is almost Capcom-level trolling, to be honest.

I feel like I should try to give TWEWY another a chance (on the DS, of course). I really tried to enjoy it back when it came out, but I just couldn't get into the battle system (I know GAF will want to lynch me for that, but I'm just being honest).

Hmm... time to give it another go, maybe? Can anyone give me tips as to how best to enjoy the game for someone who's not really into the battle system?

Pietepiet

Oh man. I was never a TWEWY fan, but I feel bad for everyone that was expecting a sequel announcement. This sucks -- this is almost Capcom-level trolling, to be honest.

I feel like I should try to give TWEWY another a chance (on the DS, of course). I really tried to enjoy it back when it came out, but I just couldn't get into the battle system (I know GAF will want to lynch me for that, but I'm just being honest).

Hmm... time to give it another go, maybe? Can anyone give me tips as to how best to enjoy the game for someone who's not really into the battle system?

If you couldn't get into the DS Battle System, why not try the iOS version instead? Why force yourself through something that didn't click? This is the perfect opportunity to try the game in a different way.

Mario007

Well, based on your posts before the video it seemed to me that you were already dead set on the opinion that the combat wouldn't work with one screen only, so...

It's just the tutorial battles though. Without seeing how the rythm of cross combos and sync to fusion will work with late enemies, it's hard to judge IMO.

Well the later enemies actually pretty much required the two screens if you played them at higher than normal difficulty and that was the joy of passing the puck between the two, trying get Joshua or Beat to block while Neku does his thing and Neku to run around while his partners unleash a combo. Never mind that the late game bosses were designed around the concept of two screen fights.

I have been sceptical, but I've also suggested ways to do this (in this thread and in the other TWEWY thread) and honestly this way is probably the worst implementation that could have come out of this. They should have stuck with tablets and have 2 screens, imho.

SerRodrik

I always expect disappointment from companies now. I am usually right :)

I momentarily forgot that. Also, I haven't been in on a Square Enix countdown before, I didn't know for sure that they always lead to tears. Still, I wouldn't have expected anything if that jerk hadn't tweeted halfway through that the leaks weren't all there was to it (as it turns out, they were).

FSLink

Banned
Well the later enemies actually pretty much required the two screens if you played them at higher than normal difficulty and that was the joy of passing the puck between the two, trying get Joshua or Beat to block while Neku does his thing and Neku to run around while his partners unleash a combo. Never mind that the late game bosses were designed around the concept of two screen fights.

I have been sceptical, but I've also suggested ways to do this (in this thread and in the other TWEWY thread) and honestly this way is probably the worst implementation that could have come out of this. They should have stuck with tablets and have 2 screens, imho.

Yeah just from descriptions alone you can tell that the depth is lowered thanks to the 2nd screen being gone.
Now if someone could upload a video of later parts of the game, I can at least see if it's still fun despite Shiki, Joshua, and Beat being converted to a partner pin.

Hylian7

Well now we can't say we didn't see it coming. I watched that Day 1 video.

What the fuck at the battle system changes?!

Fuck Square, I'm done with them until they release something I actually want. I'll pick up that Arrange album thing if it's actually good (Where is that anyway?), but otherwise fuck them.

Also, someone needs to take that "Don't believe his lies." gif and put Brian Gray's twitter screenshots in the picture.

dream

Fuck Square, I'm done with them until they release something I actually want. I'll pick up that Arrange album thing if it's actually good (Where is that anyway?), but otherwise fuck them.

This is the weakest boycott I've ever seen.

"I'm not buying anything unless I want it!"

Hylian7

This is the weakest boycott I've ever seen.

"I'm not buying anything unless I want it!"

Fair enough, but even if I did it right we know it would have the opposite effect anyway.

"Well nobody's buying this iOS port, so that means no one wants a sequel."

corn_fest

I really dislike the art. Like supermanisdead said, looks like it was done in Flash or something. Everything just looks overly clean and busy, if that make any sense. It's missing the character that the original pixel art had.

I'm curious if this version will have the songs they cut from the English release back in it (along with the new ones they put in their place, natch).

heringer

I dunno. To me making the second character AI controlled, like you suggested, is a way worse solution

Yea that gameplay video reminds me of why I wasn't so hot on gameplay. Even with a stylus, it was super easy to get snagged up with the controls with stuff get crazy. Having movement and attacks being tied to very similar gestures is probably the main con I had.

Probably why I kinda stop caring about being technical and just spam shit for most of the game.

I am sorry guys, though i am disappointed that this whole ordeal didn't turn out to be a new game, this looks great to me.

Don't mind double dipping actually.

Mario007

I dunno. To me making the second character AI controlled, like you suggested, is a way worse solution

I think it would have been better simply to keep the 'pass the puck'/trust your partner mechanic. Also for the late game bosses you could alternate between the two. I mean it's not like the game was going to suddenly work better on on a single 3.5 inch screen as opposed to the two DS screens. If they wanted to remake it, tablets would have been better.

heringer

I think it would have been better simply to keep the 'pass the puck'/trust your partner mechanic. Also for the late game bosses you could alternate between the two. I mean it's not like the game was going to suddenly work better on on a single 3.5 inch screen as opposed to the two DS screens. If they wanted to remake it, tablets would have been better.

Switching between characters could be a more elegant solution, I agree. Still, I won't pass judgement until I see more of it.

Two screens on tablet would be terrible though. Very clumsy.

Mario007

Switching between characters could be a more elegant solution, I agree. Still, I won't pass judgement until I see more of it.

Two screens on tablet would be terrible though. Very clumsy.

Would you think so? Having the screen split in half and a virtual d-pad on the top screen doesn't seem that weird...although it could be clumsy, I guess.

heringer

Would you think so? Having the screen split in half and a virtual d-pad on the top screen doesn't seem that weird...although it could be clumsy, I guess.

It would work, but it would also be clumsy and come off as lazy, not appropriate to the platform. While making the game one screen only might be watering down the combat, at least it makes the game more appealing considering the hardware, and easier for iOS gamers new to the game to swallow. Not to mention they would be restricting the sales going with tablets only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom