• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World Ends With You - Solo Remix (iPhone/iPad) announced [Out Now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeana

imgLarge23.jpg

ERx0F.jpg

You know, I think I can buy "redrawn." An upscale/filter wouldn't look nearly as clean, and there's more detail in the higher res sprites.

I have never played the game. What is actually the problem here? The battle mode? From what I saw on the DS they never could've implemented the same control scheme to the IOS. Why are all these people hating on it?

How do these hype train things usually go? People got their hopes up that the countdown was for what they wanted it to be (an actual sequel on a dedicated gaming device), despite the indications that it wasn't the case (the absence of a CERO logo).

GeekyDad

I have never played the game. What is actually the problem here? The battle mode? From what I saw on the DS they never could've implemented the same control scheme to the IOS. Why are all these people hating on it?

It's raw meat. There doesn't have to be a reason. When flesh is exposed on GAF, the animals go nuts in their cages. They'll all be gushing tomorrow. Every one of these jaded fucks will still throw their money at SE as they bend over and grab their ankles. Today they scream, tomorrow they squeal.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, MAYBE Brain is hinting at a secret trailer, can't wait to see people in Japan finishing it and finding it
doesn't exist at all

Goli

Wait, why are people saying sprites aren't redrawn? They most definitely are.
The original TWEWY sprites looked like the ones CoM had, these ones actually look like... animated artwork for the game, but afterwards run through some filter.
EDIT: beaten by Aeana.

hamchan

The problem is it's not TWEWY 2.

18-Volt

It's already played with full touch controls, so no problem here. Might get and finish for a second time.

Now SE, port 4 Heroes of Light, FF12: Revenant Wings and Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days and we're done.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
To be honest, as someone that was (a bit) late to the TWEWY party, the game it self looks like a clusterfuck of fucks before you really start playing it.

Not sure if being more cluttered on one screen is worse than trying to watch 2 screens at once. I tended to ignore the top screen to be honest on most of my playthrough on the DS... so yeah.

..but the lack of stylus level control... scares me.

Because TWEWY has a really solid, though small, fanbase that simply loved the title when it was released on DS some years ago. Since Square Enix didn't do anything with the franchise for such a long time, people thought it would have been a stand-alone game, and that's it. But TWEWY characters in KH3D and Nomura's words (and later on, the countdown) raised all fans' expectations, who wanted to see a proper sequel on 3DS. Now, we have an iOS porting that looks terrible and downgraded with an insane price and no one really wants. That's why people hating it :D

Wait, why are people saying sprites aren't redrawn? They most definitely are.
The original TWEWY sprites looked like the ones CoM had, these ones actually look like... animated artwork for the game, but afterwards run through some filter.
EDIT: beaten by Aeana.

I always thought the style of the sprites was supposed to help the game overall.

I guess I was wrong.

It's raw meat. There doesn't have to be a reason. When flesh is exposed on GAF, the animals go nuts in their cages. They'll all be gushing tomorrow. Every one of these jaded fucks will still throw their money at SE as they bend over and grab their ankles. Today they scream, tomorrow they squeal.

This post is... uh...
woah

SerRodrik

The problem is it's not TWEWY 2.

Not really even that, really. The problem is that it's not anything new that would even be of remote interest to anyone that already played the game on DS, which is the only audience that would be excited by the countdown.

And then that guy on twitter goes "Don't worry, not everything has leaked yet," when, in fact, everything had leaked.

The reaction to this and its price, kind of validates for me that dedicated gaming handhelds won't be going anywhere, anytime soon, if people aren't willing to pay 18-20 dollars for an iOS "Remix" of one of the greatest DS games of all-time. It could be amazing for all we know.
Hopefully it is, I no longer own a DS, and won't be getting a 3DS anytime soon.

wrowa

It looks like a port without any real effort behind it, that's all there is to say really.

When you present a 7 day countdown to your fanbase, the fanbase obviously won't be happy when the only announcement that comes out of it is a port that's not only on an unpopular plattform (among "hardcore gamers") but also lacks meaningful new content.

The only real "addition" to the game is the revamped battle system which just shoehorns the partner into Neku's battle field. They could at least have tried to accomplish something new, but they went the lazy route.

There's no reason for any TWEWY fan to look forward to the new edition. Well, I guess there's one reason if you happen to like the new graphic filters.

Personally, I was okay with the thought of an iOS port, but I'm still disappointed by the apparent quality of it.

LegatoB

You know, I think I can buy "redrawn." An upscale/filter wouldn't look nearly as clean, and there's more detail in the higher res sprites.
That's actually even worse. It means they drew new sprites then plastered them with horrific filters to hide the stuff they clearly didn't redraw, like the speakers or some of the special effects.

If the whole release/countdown thing wasn't insult enough, I just checked the App Store here in JP, there's no LITE or demo version to actually see what the game is like before purchasing it. Probably typical for SE iOS releases, but good lord are you just going to drop 2000 yen based on screenshots? lol

raven777

I am happy with ios version coming out, but it should have been universal.

And yea its still a big disappointment, making a teaser site like that to get hype up, and giving ios port.

Takao

Banned
I must admit, I do love how this game's announcement of the announcement took longer than the game getting announced and then released.

duckroll

If the whole release/countdown thing wasn't insult enough, I just checked the App Store here in JP, there's no LITE or demo version to actually see what the game is like before purchasing it. Probably typical for SE iOS releases, but good lord are you just going to drop 2000 yen based on screenshots? lol

Lol. Demos are for hipsters! Real men go in with no protection! :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is just Duckroll's method of coping with disappointment.

duckroll actually understands how Square Enix operates and, like all people who do, expected iOS from day one.

I talked to him when the teaser went up. I know for sure!

When you present a 7 day countdown to your fanbase, the fanbase obviously won't be happy when the only announcement that comes out of it is a port that's not only on an unpopular plattform (among "hardcore gamers") but also lacks meaningful new content.

Indeed.
That's the point: the countdown was aimed at reaching the fanbase, but the fanbase doesn't care about: a. a porting; b. on iOS. I imagine Square Enix thinkinh we would have been really happy to see TWEWY again, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom