• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World's Highest Paid Athletes 2016 (Forbes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Ckb1HPgXIAAKWG3.jpg:orig

Full list here
http://www.forbes.com/athletes/list/

Breakdown
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...id-athletes-2016-by-the-numbers/#1b81120661cc
Athletes from 10 different sports made the cut with baseball players the most dominant with 26 led by Clayton Kershaw at No. 33 with $32 million. The NFL (21 athletes), NBA (18) and soccer (12) were the next most prolific sports. The explosion in TV money is goosing salaries in these team sports. Seven tennis players made the cut along with six race car drivers, five golfers and three boxers. Track and mixed martial arts both placed one athlete with Usain Bolt at No. 32 ($32.5 million) and Conor McGregor at No. 85 ($22 million).

Flacco above Lord Brady

FairyD

Damn I thought baseball players got the big bucks.

Looks like Golf/Soccer/Tennis/Basketball is where the money is at.

Amory

It feels weird to know you can get paid that much for running after a ball

Well, when you reduce the job as far as you can, any job in the entertainment industry seems weird.

Actors make a ton for playing really elaborate games of pretend.

The rumor was that Lebron was paid a billion by Nike. Does this take into account that contract?

It was a "lifetime" deal, so it's nowhere near that up front and even still I'm sure that number is inflated. His endorsements are taken into account on this list.

MrS

Banned
Ronaldo is a money making monster. Salute!

How is choker Durant so high? I think he needs another Lil B curse.

It's crazy that Mickelson earns more through endorsements than Ronaldo and Messi.

Phil Mickelson gets paid peanuts compared to everyone else in the top 10 but is somehow #3 in endorsements, which is over 16x his salary.

rambis

Banned
The rumor was that Lebron was paid a billion by Nike. Does this take into account that contract?
Its probably up to a billion. He'll be paid from them for life at whatever agreed upon rate but it would depend on his products performance.

I shocked to see Kevin Durant on this list though.

Parch

Golfers making good endorsement money. Golf equipment is a big industry catering to a huge number of casual players. There's always new high tech golf product to peddle.

kmag

Surprising lack of Indian cricketers on that list. Dhoni and Kohli make about $30 million each in endorsements alone (honestly they both endorse about 20 companies each from Audi to Rolex), given there was an ICC T20 world cup in India this year you'd expect them to have had a bumper year.

Then they probably make another $3 million to $5 million for actually playing cricket. Kohli made 2.26 million for 5 weeks work in the IPL, and probably about another $2 million or so in retainers and match fees for playing for the Indian national teams.

see5harp

Golfers making good endorsement money. Golf equipment is a big industry catering to a huge number of casual players. There's always new high tech golf product to peddle.

It's not only that. The dudes straight up wear the logos while playing, even in other people's ads. Phil Mickelson wears that damn KPMG hat even in his ads for arthritis medication.

No Jordan? Or is this still playing or recently retired?

Quoth the article:

Our list only includes athletes active during the last 12 months. Michael Jordan outearns every active athlete and banked $110 million in 2015 to rank first among the highest-paid retired athletes thanks to brisk sales of Nike’s Jordan brand. Four iconic athletes in Mayweather, Pacquiao, Peyton Manning and Kobe Bryant walked away from their sports over the past year, but made the top 100 thanks to their earnings over the past 12 months. They will be gunning to join Jordan among the best-paid retired stars (a caveat: the word retirement is used very loosely in boxing).

ElNino

It's not only that. The dudes straight up wear the logos while playing, even in other people's ads. Phil Mickelson wears that damn KPMG hat even in his ads for arthritis medication.
Yep, Jordan Spieth is a walking Under Armor advertisement.

Smellycat

Roger Federer is making more money from endorsements than anyone else. What is he endorsing?

I think he has 10+ longterm endorsement deals.

Rolex
Mercedes-Benz
Nike
Wilson
Lindt Chocolate
Jura
Gillette, Procter & Gamble (P&G) (Ceased in 2015)
Credit Suisse
NetJets
Moët & Chandon
Sunrise

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I'm guessing Lebron days are numbered after this season...Steph Curry is the new blood and is going straight to the top next year.

see5harp

Yep, Jordan Spieth is a walking Under Armor advertisement.

In golf there are those super crazy deals where I think the golfer is required to wear the logo everywhere no matter what. I wonder if that reduces the amount of money they make when they do other people's ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom