• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World's Highest Paid Athletes 2016 (Forbes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how accurate this is. Rumor has it that Lebron's new Nike deal might be worth almost 1 billion

I think rumor is the important word there.

No lol. That's not how this works. Although I do expect Curry to make gains at some point.

Being good doesn't automatically make you marketable. See: Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki.

I'm surprised that so many "elite" NFL players on the list have absolutely junk for media exposure.

spyder_ur

Golfers making good endorsement money. Golf equipment is a big industry catering to a huge number of casual players. There's always new high tech golf product to peddle.

It's not only that. The dudes straight up wear the logos while playing, even in other people's ads. Phil Mickelson wears that damn KPMG hat even in his ads for arthritis medication.

Not just that, but golf caters to a older, wealthier demographic than other sports, which leads to more lucrative endorsements.

I'm surprised that so many "elite" NFL players on the list have absolutely junk for media exposure.

Quite frankly I think the helmets hurt them. 99% of the time you see them you can't see their face. I think people would be surprised how poorly they would be able to identify NFL players vs other sports, even though it's the most popular.

Juicy Bob

In terms of just base salary:

Cristiano Ronaldo - $56 M
Lionel Messi - $53.4 M
Joe Flacco - $44 M
Lewis Hamilton - $42 M
Cam Newton - $41.1 M
Sebastian Vettel - $40 M
Philip Rivers - $37.5 M
Eli Manning - $37 M
Tom Brady - $36.1 M
Marcell Dareus - $35.1 M

see5harp

Not just that, but golf caters to a older, wealthier demographic than other sports, which leads to more lucrative endorsements.

Quite frankly I think the helmets hurt them. 99% of the time you see them you can't see their face. I think people would be surprised how poorly they would be able to identify NFL players vs other sports, even though it's the most popular.

Yea that plus the fact that he endorses either Humara or Enbrel...I can't remember which but it's one of the more expensive medications on the market. It's one of those thousand dollar a month type deals that surprisingly a lot of people are prescribed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom