• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The world's most powerful console"

GLAMr

I quite like "greatness awaits", as it makes me think of all the great adventures, achievements and experiences gaming has offered me. I always hear "4 the players" sarcastically in my head when Sony makes a fumble. "Oh cool, PS2 games I already own getting released at a snail's pace for $20... For the players indeed".

"The world's most powerful console" does nothing for me. This gen is the first time in history where the most powerful console was also the best selling. "Power" doesn't mean all that much to me.

Moraizen

Kinect-for-Xbox-360-Goes-on-Sale-at-12-01-A-M-on-November-4-2.jpg

Never liked this one, but I have seen first hand how well it worked during my days as a videogame store manager, as in kids using it to try and convince their parents to buy a Kinect for them: "But mom, you are the controller!".

Might have gotten a few extra sales based on that silly slogan alone.

Despite never having experienced first hand the "Sega does what Nintendon't", since I lived in Portugal, I can't help but loving the heck out of it, despite being a huge Nintendo fan today haha

As for my favorite, I would say that SNK's "The Future is now" definitely takes the cake. Such a simple delivery, straight to the point. Damn I'm sure glad that SNK is making a comeback!

As far as worst ones go, I would probably take the "most powerful console ever" and "4 the players". First one for being too annoying and technically pretty short sighted, the second one for the blatant lie it represents, especially after stuff like Sony going out of their way to block cross-play between consoles and PC in certain cases. Sony are beginning to sound a bit too full of themselves lately, but I guess that their recent success would inevitably lead them down that path.

shaowebb

I'll be more impressed when someone says,
"The worlds most exclusives on a single next gen console."

...Till then I dont see any value in X1X.

watdaeff4

This post is 100% in spirit of the thread intent
Thanks for the invaluable opinion and viewpoint. You've given us a lot to think about

Opt1kon_

it doesn't make me hype that every time you turn around some PR Guy at MS Says "The Worlds Most Powerful Console" I know that now, and I cant wait to play mines but good lord leave it alone already good lord

still getting one to replace my One S, But this pretty much ^^

i like the little voice that says 'playstation!' at the end of playstation trailers :) ...

&, no, i've never bought a console based on its marketing slogan...

mclem

As a slogan I quite liked "It only does everything", although it was a rather easy one to adapt to satirise whatever their current issue was, which probably backfired somewhat!

bigjig

It's a slogan that's designed to short-lived. It'll be obsolete in a couple of years.

That's what I hate about it, it's so generic. Technically the PS4 Pro is the most powerful console, then the XBX will have the mantle for a year or two until the next bit of gear comes out. As a selling point it's about as unimaginative as you can be.

D.Lo

Nintendo stuck with the power thing for a while.

Now you're playing with power!
Power to go! (Game Boy)
Now you're playing with Super power!

Weird they didn't do it with N64 since it was the first time they actually clearly had the most powerful system (apart from the Japanese Famicom launch where it was an entire gen in front of the SG1000).

I hate the N64. Hate how blurry everything looked. There were just a handful of games I found playable at the time.
Relevant!

Synth

Because otherwise we have a period in time where the Wii U was "the most powerful console", and that's asinine.

You're really trying to suggest that the Wii U being the most powerful console for a year, is more insane than suggesting the a Neo Geo hold the title of most powerful as of right now?

Ok...

D.Lo

You're really trying to suggest that the Wii U being the most powerful console for a year, is more insane than suggesting the a Neo Geo hold the title of most powerful as of right now?

Ok...
I think what he's trying to say is it was the most powerful console ever relative to others at time of release. Whereas every other 'most powerful console' in history was just timing, and was overtaken quickly.

Of course they're actually entirely separate things. And I'm not sure if true anyway, the Xbox 360 was probably the biggest jump ever over what was the most powerful before (Gamecube or original Xbox depending on the metrics), it was in fact so powerful for the time it couldn't be done in a box that size without frying itself. A bigger jump than Neo Geo was over PC Engine etc.

The Nintendo Cereal System was pretty damn good.

NIN TEN DO

IT'S FOR BREAKFAST NOW

NIN TEN DO

IT'S A CEREAL! WOW!

How many of these ad campaigns can you eat, huh

Shame Nintendo didn't make Nintendo Bread. Finally something that can run on a toaster.

Not a slogan, but this is undoubtedly my fav non-Nintendo commercial, the PS2 Wolfman ad by David Lynch. Nothing to do with the console whatsoever, but it's fucking SICK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OUcEjw5-Ao

I agree with the notion that it's meaningless to advertise that your console is the most powerful ever since it WILL be outclassed in a matter of years.

That'd be like Nintendo shouting that the Switch is the most powerful portable gaming system ever, which is true (unless you count laptops, powerful phones, whatever), but we all know that will change when its successor or another player enters the ring in a few years.

low-G

"Now you're playing with power" felt a little special when I was 7 or 8.

I think my feelings of the mottos reflect how I feel about the generation at the time.

I still enjoyed new SNES games through 1995, but I found "Play it Loud" to be so corporate and pathetic. I preferred Nintendo but Sega had the 'attitude' on lockdown. Plus playing awesome shit like Doom on PC, I just wanted Nintendo to stick to stuff like Mario and not try to be edgy or cool.

I got PlayStation 1 early, but still thought "U R Not Red-E" to be lame. I wanted something more sophisticated...

Really none have strongly resonated with me. It's always the actual goals of the platform, how they do this or that.

Arkeband

Banned
Phil fell into a glacier
It was like a big deep-freeze
But he was brought back to life to his surprise
In the 20th Century
So listen as Phil takes us back
To wonders of long ago
And we've a tale of Woollyville
And an Ice age boy named

oh wait that's the theme song to Cro

FUCK!

Synth

I think what he's trying to say is it was the most powerful console ever relative to others at time of release. Whereas every other 'most powerful console' in history was just timing, and was overtaken quickly.

Of course they're actually entirely separate things. And I'm not sure if true anyway, the Xbox 360 was probably the biggest jump ever over what was the most powerful before (Gamecube or original Xbox depending on the metrics), it was in fact so powerful for the time it couldn't be done in a box that size without frying itself. A bigger jump than Neo Geo was over PC Engine etc.

Oh I definitely know what he means. I just don't understand why anyone would ever use such a metric. Why would we define "most powerful" which has a very clear meaning at any point in time, with a historical "largest delta"? Sure, saying Neo Geo was "the most powerful" console carried more weight 1990 than saying the same about Xbox One X does today, but you sure as hell couldn't use the words "most powerful" to describe a Neo Geo today, that'd just be nonsense.

Sanctuary

Sega does what Nintendont.

Or whatever. Worked for me!

I just bought both. It helps too that the Genesis was released first anyway. Regardless, I'm not hyped in any shape or form for the xXXEXTREMEXBOXXx. I might be if they actually release some exclusives worth caring about, which aren't just those that will also be on PC and sabotaged to make the console version "the best" version.

fatherKratos

Neo Member
Wasnt PS3 most powerful when its released(not sure about PS2), then PS4, then Pro for a while?
Sega does what Nintendont...this was awesome.

Top Bottom