• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The worst game music of the generation.

daydream

Banned
Serious question? Answer is the fact that they're from the same series, and are examples of wonderful music, while the two examples you and I gave are shit. The fact that they're from different kinds of levels is entirely irrelevant. You don't get a pass for bad music because it's a castle level.

Here's two more from Yoshi's Island DS
Flower Garden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx-TQ4E2qPg

Wildlands:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcDJGuJAQlI

I can't listen to either for more than 20 seconds. Absolutely ear-wrenching.

We already agreed on YIDS having a weak soundtrack, I was just defending Yoshi's Story. ;)

My vote goes to the songs of Sonic Chronicles. How did that happen?

But this is a good contender. This was the dungeon theme right? Oh god, why would they make this a song!? SHUT UP

I didn't like it at first, but some of the songs grew on me.

Anyway this thread has too much hyperbole between the good (bad?) choices.

It was also the only "dungeon" area you revisited. Many, many times.

Everything about that game is either 110% awesome or 110% shit, it is WIERD.

Music is incredibly subjective. I think we've realised this.

It's weird how this thread is mainly Japanese games. Mainly because you can still take risks with games music in Japan compared to play it safe generic non-melodic drones a lot of games get lumbered with.

Melodic music, when not handled well, can go from "great" to "fucking fill-my-ears-with a-caulking-gun-full-of-lava-bad" in about 10 minutes. Variety of the track, length before it loops back, bad planning and bad decisions can all affect the score. Also, non-musical people like producers can often screw things up by asking for inappropriate types of music.

also having "Bah, Bah" doesn't help.

But I like the fact that some developers will let the musicians take chances. Even if they don't always get it right.

And holy fuck at Deadly Premonition- that IS the Overworld from Super Mario World

Tayaya

My problem with SF4 is that we didn't actually get the character-specific themes unless it was in a "rival" right. I attribute this of course to the lack of actual character-specific stages, which is something I would like to see a return to in, I dunno, EVERY FIGHTING GAME OUT THERE. Character specific stages at least give each of the characters a teeny little more depth, and I can't imagine something like a background takes an incredible amount of budget money to create even in today's fighting game landscape.

That said, I do like SF4's music as a whole, and even liked the first version of the game's theme (being an EXILE fan many years ago didn't hurt)... I still like the character select music from the first game the best.

QisTopTier said:
Worst game music of the generation <---- is the theme of the topic.

Here let me help you with a good example

Saying an entire ost is the worst when there are good tracks in it and there are clearly way way worst things out there that came out in that generation is silly.

It's like me saying the BBCP OST is garbage when I only don't like Rachel and Noel's themes. Then again you are typically overly negative about things so that's probably just that shining through :p

No, the entire soundtrack is horrible. It does sound like horrible remixes of older games, at times it sounds worse than that. Any and all attempts at anything original is terrible. There is not one decent track on this game.

I guess a lot of the younger set are into that kind of sound(?). I just find it plain bad, I am not even going into the games themselves; which I will give some credit too, definitely not the worst SF game, just has the worst soundtrack ever, of all time, ever, ever, permanently.. I mean honestly, it's not even MvC2 bad, at least that soundtrack was catchy.

I seriously don't understand how they could have dropped in quality so bad from 3S, hell, even CvS2(which at least has 2 pretty good distinct tracks that we all know).

I just can't express how much I hate this soundtrack, and just.... I wish I could show you.

This is pretty terrible for being in a JRPG. Did Uematsu compose this song at all, or was this a guest composer? If it was Uematsu, then it's definitely a stain on his near perfect record.

Unfortunately he did. Featuring the singer from Deep Purple. Uematsu has always had a lot of unabashed prog rock influences in his music but ..... Nobuo plz. not like this.

anything from FF13. Fuck Hamauzu, Uematsu 4 lyfe
I used to share this opinion. But I gradually and begrudgingly accepted Hamauzu's talent. "Besaid Island," "Blinded By Light," and "The Promise" all top-notch. Granted he doesn't write music as CONSISTENTLY amazing as Uematsu does (and really, who does?).
Also his solo CD "Vielen Dank" is lovely.

I must say that alot of this music is just bad music taste, but still music.. and you feel that atleast the ones making them are musicans (to some extent;-) ...even Crazy Bus;-).

BUT Sonic Chronicles just doesnt feel like music made by a musician at all....

Music is incredibly subjective. I think we've realised this.

It's weird how this thread is mainly Japanese games. Mainly because you can still take risks with games music in Japan compared to play it safe generic non-melodic drones a lot of games get lumbered with.

Melodic music, when not handled well, can go from "great" to "fucking fill-my-ears-with a-caulking-gun-full-of-lava-bad" in about 10 minutes. Variety of the track, length before it loops back, bad planning and bad decisions can all affect the score. Also, non-musical people like producers can often screw things up by asking for inappropriate types of music.

also having "Bah, Bah" doesn't help.

But I like the fact that some developers will let the musicians take chances. Even if they don't always get it right.

And holy fuck at Deadly Premonition- that IS the Overworld from Super Mario World

Couldnt agree more! There are so many games that you just dont even remember music as part of the experience anymore. Its all atmosphere or cinema 100 times a dozen orchestreal tracks. Games with standout original music makes me remember the games in a completly different way, with a much brighter, better memory of the game.

Khronico

The only game music that comes to mind when I think about it is NSMB Wii. The 'wah wah' is so grating and annoying I end up just playing it muted every time.

zlatko

Banned
I didn't get to read every page, but I would've thought someone would've attempted a troll by saying Nier OST. :p

The worst soundtrack that did nothing from games I played goes to Alan Wake. yaaaawn.

Holy fucking shit. One of the best boss themes placed in one of the worst places ever. A typing game with such an epic song!? Imagine that theme in a regular Pokemon game.

Great tune.

Pokemon spinoffs generally have surprisingly nifty, catchy music

Way back in the day and all the way til Gen 4 my favorite Pokemon themes didn't even belong to a mainline game

Imakuni?
Ronald's Theme

Bluecondor

IMO, developers that include pop music take a risk in that the songs do not necessarily fit the action/theme of the game.

GTA (particularly Vice City) has always been a great example of how to include pop music, because the 80s songs generally feel authentic in the game environment of Miami in the 1980s.

The worst for me is actually the current version of Madden Football (Madden 25). For some reason, the songs that play in the stadiums have literally nothing to do with what is going on in the game at the time. It is a mindless random mix of 15 second snippets of AC/DC's "Thunderstruck," White Stripe's "7 Nation Army", Black Eyed Peas "Boom Boom Pow" and 2 or 3 generic sports anthems that just pop up randomly all throughout the game.

ascii42

It is a mindless random mix of 15 second snippets of AC/DC's "Thunderstruck," White Stripe's "7 Nation Army", Black Eyed Peas "Boom Boom Pow" and 2 or 3 generic sports anthems that just pop up randomly all throughout the game.

Sounds like being at a real football game, then. Actually, Seven Nation Army seems to be usually played by the band.

Bluecondor

Sounds like being at a real football game, then. Actually, Seven Nation Army seems to be usually played by the band.

It would be like a real football game if they played it either to celebrate tough defensive plays or to fire up the crowd. Instead, it just plays in an endless loop along with Thunderstruck and a few others. Thus - it adds absolutely nothing to the atmosphere or realism of the game.

UnrealEck

You actually think that is worse than this??

Also,
lol at the top comments on this.

I wouldn't say better or worse. Both are incredibly bad. The Sonic one sucks but I mean you can listen to it. The birthday cake one and crazy bus are just really annoying to listen to especially with that woman yelling.

Just skimming through the replies and I see a few people actually liked Birthday Cake. I understand people have different tastes but it is a woman with a horrible screetching voice yelling. I don't know how people can like that. Is it the lyrics you find funny or do you actually like the sound of her 'singing'?

NeoGash

I have been thinking about this recently and for me, it would be the Resistance Hideout theme in Enchanted Arms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMeAsfQ2ilQ

Having to spend 40ish minutes with this on loop... Oh man.

What are your picks?

OMFG. That shit was ear-splitting. I thought my neighbour was sawing some wood, and I was about to go outside to tell him to shut the fuck up, but I realised it was the game. Holy cow if I ever play the game again, I'm muting my TV.

popyea

I wouldn't say better or worse. Both are incredibly bad. The Sonic one sucks but I mean you can listen to it. The birthday cake one and crazy bus are just really annoying to listen to especially with that woman yelling.

Just skimming through the replies and I see a few people actually liked Birthday Cake. I understand people have different tastes but it is a woman with a horrible screetching voice yelling. I don't know how people can like that. Is it the lyrics you find funny or do you actually like the sound of her 'singing'?

Have you never heard any sort of punk music before? Screeching and yelling isn't automatically horrible. It has interesting texture and pitch and can service music in completely different and unique ways. I personally love the vocals in Birthday Cake, and it has nothing to do with the lyrics or thinking the sound is comedic.

Some people just appreciate different thinks in a vocal performance. Take this song for example. I can't get over how good the vocals sound to me, but if you don't like stuff that sounds like strained, screeching howls, it'll probably just sound like horrible yelling.

I understand that people are probably accustomed to music that's purely harmonic, but dissonance can be just as enjoyable in it's own way. There's a whole other side of the spectrum you're missing out on otherwise.

Metroid: Other M for me. Music has always been one of the best parts of the already fantastic Metroid series, and they stripped it all down to almost nothing.

Top Bottom