• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The wrist watch thread.

highrider

Banned
Realizing that most younger people don’t wear watches anymore, TBH I never really did either most of my life. A few years ago I just started to become inexplicably interested in them and learned about different movements and design. I see a lot of people wearing fashion watches now, Daniel Wellington, MVMT and similar brands, and while any watch that gets you interested in them is a win, you can actually get something much cooler for the same price that has real horological history as opposed to a stamped out quartz movement.

It’s important to understand the different types of watches.

Mechanical: these are watches with mechanical motors that need to be manually wound.

Automatic: these are mechanical watches that have self winding design based on natural movements of your wrist. Most high end watches and Swiss brands are Automatic, but the entry level is under 100 dollars for a quality automatic. Generally watch heads are automatic fans.

Quartz: Quartz movement is powered by batteries with a vibrating quartz crystal that keeps time. Quartz, even cheap ones are generally the most accurate. They can be produced relatively cheaply compared to automatic watches, and generally the more complicated the functionality of the watch the more likely it will be quartz. Most chronographs and aviator watches are quartz.

Why wear a watch, I have my phone? For me I’m an older guy that loves craftsmanship and design. I feel naked without a watch. It’s the one sort of jewelry that is acceptable across the board for men to wear. I like the history of horology, it’s pretty fascinating when you really learn the history of different designers and manufacturers.

My daily wear is an automatic, Seiko SRP777, also known as the Turtle due to its cushion shaped case reminiscent of a turtle shape. It’s a dive watch that has had reissues but is pretty similar to the original 6308 that was popular in the 70s. Martin Sheen wore one in Apocolypse Now, it was very popular at the time I served in the army in the 80s and early 90s.

It’s referred to as a tool watch, it’s designed to be under tough conditions and take a beating. A daily driver if you will. I really have no need for another watch, but I’m eyeing picking up a dress style watch and maybe a few more over the years. I’m very close to pulling the trigger on this Graf Zepplin, thier design is really beautiful.

Wanted to make this thread for anyone that has an interest and wanted to share stuff they like or have. Also wanted to recommend a YouTube channel, The Urban Gentry. Delightful guy with enthusiasm for horology and can teach you everything you need to know about the hobby.

Nymphae

Banned
Why are men's watches generally massive? I've never liked having a big weight on my wrist. I have a modest and simple Timex. Indiglo is fucking awesome, come at me watch snobs.

Timex-TW2P756-Mens-Watches-Quartz-EASY-READER-Leather-Band-Analog-Gold-Tone-Men-s-Watch-Indiglo.jpg_640x640.jpg

Mine's like this but blue face with white lettering and a brown leather band.

highrider

Banned
Nothing wrong with a Timex, I love thier automatic stuff from the 60s like the Marlin. Generally dress watches are smaller but tool watches tend to be hefty. Timex stopped making automatic watches unfortunately, and while I appreciate quartz they have a finite life. For a few more dollars you can get an automatic that will last a lifetime and you can pass it down to your children.

I kind of consider smart watches a different thing with greater functionality. I also know nothing about them lol.

Also this isn’t a watch snob thing, most of the watches I like are under 500 dollars. I find luxury brands a little too dressy generally, but I’d love to have a Marathon or Submariner.. but that’s a lot of mullah lol.

Last edited:

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I'm assuming this is meant to be a watch-purist thread and not get bombarded by us Smart Watch'ers?

Porcile

Smart watches are just err, functional? They don't have any appeal for me. Once you go mechanical its pretty hard to go back to any other sort of watch. I know the Grand Seiko quartz watches are pretty technologically advanced, but put it next to a Grand Seiko with a spring drive movement and it doesn't compare.

I can't afford a really nice watch, but I like to check them out in the boutiques and shops in Japan lol.

Geki-D

Banned
Smart watches are just err, functional? They don't have any appeal for me. Once you go mechanical it's pretty hard to go back to any other sort of watch.
I guess it depends on what you want and how you see a watch. I want functional, I'm not really interested in watches as jewelry.

highrider

Banned
As I said I really consider smart watches a different thing. And I’m not particularly knowledgeable about them. But I’m open to anything. They seem to have the same business model as most consumer electronics, incremental updates and needing the latest and greatest. An automatic watch is something that can last indefinitely.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Wearing a Apple Watch series 3 currently. The one that the strap costs £200...

Must be mad.

highrider

Banned
Last edited:
I'm thinking of getting a watch because I have to keep pulling out my smartphone to check the time but I also check the weather every so often so a regular watch won't do either. The only problem all those smartwatches are too expensive for my liking and I don't need something too expensive.

highrider

Banned
I'm thinking of getting a watch because I have to keep pulling out my smartphone to check the time but I also check the weather every so often so a regular watch won't do either. The only problem all those smartwatches are too expensive for my liking and I don't need something too expensive.

Have a look at the Suunto Core, also known as The Equalizer watch as Denzel uses the stopwatch on his before he beats up everyone lol. I know it has tons of weather functions and stuff.

Have a look at the Suunto Core, also known as The Equalizer watch as Denzel uses the stopwatch on his before he beats up everyone lol. I know it has tons of weather functions and stuff.
on the other hand, I also want that vault boy(from the fallout games) gui lol.

i have an automatic watch and its great until i have to reset the time every day because it keeps going ahead

if i had an auto that works id love it but really it seems the good ones are 200+ i like wearing the watch as well so ill probably buy a more expensive one

lil puff

Automatics are nice. But I also really like Seiko Quartz Chronograph. I have one that I would love to replace now. I have been meaning to google it.

I think you all have nice taste in watches so far. i am not a fan of big flashy watches, I enjoy the classy variety.

In general I really much like Seikos.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
My everyday watch, had been using this baby for almost 10 years, and it's my very first watch that got me into watches: TAG Heuer Men's WAF1112.BA0801 Silver Aquaracer Watch

41yh1vBmqsL._UX342_.jpg

My slightly dressier watch, or when I just want to wear it for special occasions, given by my dad: Rolex Explorer II, a 90s model

b903d3868d9805715c2eaf47bad4247a1646a744.jpg

The watch I want in the future if I have moneyz: Rolex Sky Dweller Blue Face

m326934-0003.png

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Oh shit, Ultros coming in like a boss! Excellent pieces. I like vintage Rolex, more because I could conceivably buy them 😂

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Oh shit, Ultros coming in like a boss! Excellent pieces. I like vintage Rolex, more because I could conceivably buy them 😂

Vintage Rolexes are better IMO. Better style, sturdier, and not too expensive haha.

That said, what do you guys think of the Rolex Daytona? Namely model 116520?

rolex-cosmograph-daytona-gold-steel-black-diamond-116523-watch-chest.png

Also I just want to say I'm not a Submariner or Datejust fan because well... Most watch enthusiasts seem to go after those. I like to be slightly different haha. Any recommendations?

highrider

Banned
Your taste is a little different from mine, and I haven’t delved in to Rolex much, but I’ll put up a couple that I really like, and I’m definitely getting a Marathon in the near future. They are just beautiful and have tritium lume, I also love the Glycine Combat Sub and other models they make. Both Marathon and Glycine have a very extensive history in military timepieces. Also a new smaller brand, Christopher Ward bronze divers are pure class. Photographs don’t really do tritium lume justice but on a higher end piece it is insanely cool.

Last edited:
I’ve got a g shock which is my daily. An old Rolex of my grandads. And a Zodiac watch but i’m Not the zodiac killer I prom ise.

Last edited:

Jae Mara

I have a few watches knocking about, rarely wear them nowadays. I like the idea of them though. I have to say one thing though, most watches being posted here will not be nearly possible to purchase for most people. Is there anything to these watches that validate the pricetag besides their prestigious brand? Is it just a collectors thing for those that have the money and interest?

lil puff

I have a few watches knocking about, rarely wear them nowadays. I like the idea of them though. I have to say one thing though, most watches being posted here will not be nearly possible to purchase for most people. Is there anything to these watches that validate the pricetag besides their prestigious brand? Is it just a collectors thing for those that have the money and interest?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, good question. I guess it's just relative. To people that can afford a Rolex, it's no big deal. Things like expensive watches, jewelry, expensive belts.... I really don't get it, but if I had the cash, I would probably buy them too.
I think it's fun when I see business men in what looks like to be fancy suit, shoes, etc. And I glance at the Rolex, and I can tell it's fake.

oops, wrote inside the quotes. Fixed

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
I have a Mi band 3. Shows the time (duh), weather for the next 3 days, tracks my steps and sleep, measures my heart rate, is water proof and the battery lasts at least 2 weeks.
It's also very light so I the only time where I take it off is when I have to charge it.

lil puff

I have a Mi band 3. Shows the time (duh), weather for the next 3 days, tracks my steps and sleep, measures my heart rate, is water proof and the battery lasts at least 2 weeks.
It's also very light so I the only time where I take it off is when I have to charge it.
2 weeks? You have to charge it?

Why does it not have a typical battery?

Stitch

Gold Member
No idea. Probably the same reason why many things nowadays have built in batteries: When the battery dies you have to buy the whole thing again and not just the battery.

Do any smartwatches/Fitness Trackers have typical batteries? :pie_thinking:

lil puff

No idea. Probably the same reason why many things nowadays have built in batteries: When the battery dies you have to buy the whole thing again and not just the battery.

Do any smartwatches/Fitness Trackers have typical batteries? :pie_thinking:
I thought they all did, so this is news to me.
I suppose it's no different than a phone, eh?

Stitch

Gold Member
2 Weeks is actually pretty good. Other smartwatches have to be charged every day so yeah, like a phone hehe

BANGS

Banned
I want Ryo's Timex so bad...

But as of right now I have two cheapo watches and two nice self winders...

highrider

Banned
I have a few watches knocking about, rarely wear them nowadays. I like the idea of them though. I have to say one thing though, most watches being posted here will not be nearly possible to purchase for most people. Is there anything to these watches that validate the pricetag besides their prestigious brand? Is it just a collectors thing for those that have the money and interest?

I’m on a very tight budget with a teenage son, the most I would spend on a watch would be 500 to 1000 dollars and I would have to save for quite a while. Generally in the entry level most people go for Seiko, Orient or something in the sub-100 range like Timex. My everyday watch is a Seiko which is under 300. Rolex, Omega, Patek Philippe etc. are luxury brands, many use precious metals, but even those that don’t have a great deal of highly skilled labor involved in making them. They’ve also established a quality and brand recognition over many years.

Personally I like watches that are more utilitarian, but lots of people love the more flashy style, or a classic more elegant piece. A great watch to me says something about who you are and things you value. It’s one of the things I love about watches.

Sorcerer

Nothing wrong with a Timex, I love thier automatic stuff from the 60s like the Marlin. Generally dress watches are smaller but tool watches tend to be hefty. Timex stopped making automatic watches unfortunately, and while I appreciate quartz they have a finite life. For a few more dollars you can get an automatic that will last a lifetime and you can pass it down to your children.

I kind of consider smart watches a different thing with greater functionality. I also know nothing about them lol.

Also this isn’t a watch snob thing, most of the watches I like are under 500 dollars. I find luxury brands a little too dressy generally, but I’d love to have a Marathon or Submariner.. but that’s a lot of mullah lol.
The Marlin is hand wind. As is the current re-issue. Timex I believe have dabbled with automatic and solar in the past but seem to have given up both technologies really quickly. I guess indiglo is what makes them unique. Most YouTube watch guys respect Timex with the exception of Fedrico who considers a 2000 dollar watch a beater!!! Too rich for my blood lol!!!

Last edited:

lil puff

I messed up a post again I'm afraid.

Personally I like watches that are more utilitarian, but lots of people love the more flashy style, to show it off. A watch to me says something about who you are and things you value. It’s one of the things I love about watches.

I think 1000 is going to get into the higher end. Like you can get the chronos. Oh man you have options for very great watches in that range.

My Seiko has lasted over a decase aside from the old bad tune up. Its an automatic triple diver dial too. I am overtly proud of my watch, but I am afraid it may die soon. I am on a mission to replace it with the exact same thing.

highrider

Banned
I messed up a post again I'm afraid.

Personally I like watches that are more utilitarian, but lots of people love the more flashy style, to show it off. A watch to me says something about who you are and things you value. It’s one of the things I love about watches.

I think 1000 is going to get into the higher end. Like you can get the chronos. Oh man you have options for very great watches in that range.

My Seiko has lasted over a decase aside from the old bad tune up. Its an automatic triple diver dial too. I am overtly proud of my watch, but I am afraid it may die soon. I am on a mission to replace it with the exact same thing.

If you don’t mind my asking why are you replacing it? Usually at the 10 year mark a watch will need a service, but Seiko always is coming out with dope chronographs. I’m a huge Seiko fanboy, they are imo the most innovative company making watches. I also like how they have an entry level up to high end, but always high quality.

Hudo

My daily driver is a Casio G-shock. If I ever get run over by a tank, it's good to know my watch will still work. I also have a black one when I want to switch it up. I also have a couple analogs when I need to look "fancy," but I prefer my white g-shock.
g-5600a-7-1.jpg
Casio G-Shock peasants, UNITE!

lil puff

If you don’t mind my asking why are you replacing it? Usually at the 10 year mark a watch will need a service, but Seiko always is coming out with dope chronographs. I’m a huge Seiko fanboy, they are imo the most innovative company making watches. I also like how they have an entry level up to high end, but always high quality.
It's mainly because of the band. It's old and starting to break, and it's dirty as heck. The actual watch mechanism is fine with the exception of a minor scratch on the glass face. I'm also not sure of the accuracy of the chrono meters anymore. It needs tuning.

It's a V657-9039. I just searched and it looks I can get one way cheaper than when I bought mine! It looks slightly different though. Mine is all stainless steel with no other finishes.

There are some new Seikos that I like though. After I replace this I may look into another or 2!

edit: ohh they are all ebay sites. I may not be able to get it, unless I go through Seiko's official.

Last edited:
Top Bottom