• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The wrist watch thread.

Yeah, absolutely. I'm envious because a lot of killer watches only come in smaller sizes but they look ridiculous on me because my wrists are bigger. Even some of the less expensive but still historically relevant stuff like the Hamilton field watch is pretty much unwearable for me. Luckily, Hamilton released larger versions of their Khaki line.
Yeah, this is one of the few cases where having girly hands is usally an advantage... :D

On the other side though, most modern watches that I'd love to buy look ridiculously big on my wrists.

teezzy

Banned
Ive yet to fine a watch I appreciate more than the Timex Weekender. Sleek and simple, and you can easily dress it up or down. You can even trade out the straps and shit but I cant be bothered. The cloth strap is perfect.

20200418-111238.jpg

It's fairly loud too, so if I ever misplace it I just keep my ears open. Lol

My favorite watch.

Ive yet to fine a watch I appreciate more than the Timex Weekender. Sleek and simple, and you can easily dress it up or down. You can even trade out the straps and shit but I cant be bothered. The cloth strap is perfect.

20200418-111238.jpg

It's fairly loud too, so if I ever misplace it I just keep my ears open. Lol

My favorite watch.
nice one !

And I love the image composition with the Nickelodeon Clock in the background... :D

teezzy

Banned
nice one !

And I love the image composition with the Nickelodeon Clock in the background... :D

Complete happenstance, I'm posting from bed. Been a very lazy Saturday so far.

But yea that dude's a beast. The Nickelodeon Timeblaster from 1995. Keeps on trucking. Makes me feel like a mad professor with all the dials and switches on it.

Got an Omega Seamaster 300m used last year, and a Rolex Air King. Looking at Xeric Halograph II. If I win the lotto or get a big inheritance (not happening) buying a Rolex Daytona. crownandcaliberdotcom have affordable used watches.

Halograph II
RWK1069.jpg

Last edited:

ZQQLANDER

I wasn't a watch enthusiast until COVID and I suddenly had more time to do research. It's a little overwhelming to be honest. There are a lot of nice watches out there. How does everyone decide on what watches to get without going broke? I decided to go with the C3 Grand Tourer: I liked the design and it seemed I could wear it on a casual and semi-formal basis.

c03-39qch3-s00g1_lc_angle.jpg

Cleared_Hot

I got a tactix Charlie from work. I swapped the strap for a black nylon one. This is the most expensive watch i ever owned. I have a citizen worth about $500 a a gift as well. That's it for me and fancy watches

Last edited:

BrettWeir

You seem to dig the submariner look... :)
Amazing collection you have, mate...

I'd love to check out a Gigandet Seaground.
It's the poor man's submariner.. ;)

Gigandet_Sea_Ground_G2-1024x614.jpg

Yeah, I'm a huge nerd for Submariners. Been a part of BSHT (Best Submariner Homage Thread) on Watchuseek for years. Not sure if Gigandet has changed, but IIRC, aren't they pretty large?

Thanks for the compliment!

Checkout the Glycine Combat Sub. Has a nice submariner feel to certain models.

Whoa. Glycine has some great offerings. I really like their Combat Sub Vintage. If only it came in 39mm or 40mm. :( Prices are darn good at under $400!

highrider

Banned
Yeah, I'm a huge nerd for Submariners. Been a part of BSHT (Best Submariner Homage Thread) on Watchuseek for years. Not sure if Gigandet has changed, but IIRC, aren't they pretty large?

Thanks for the compliment!

Whoa. Glycine has some great offerings. I really like their Combat Sub Vintage. If only it came in 39mm or 40mm. :( Prices are darn good at under $400!

Yeah, it’s a 42 but the lug to lug makes it wear small. If you happen to come across one try it out. Glycine is underrated. They offer some of the best Swiss entry level.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
In 2017 I bought the Verizon branded Wear24 smart watch for $80. It runs Wear OS 2.0, and has built in GPS / microphone / bluetooth for headphones / 4GB storage / LTE. I don't have a SIM card in mine, I just typically pair it with my phone. I have some wireless headphones I pair directly to the watch.

It's great for long runs and hikes. I can zip up my phone in a pouch (or simply leave it behind) and still have my fitness tracking apps as well as my headphones with music. It's pretty large but I've gotten used to it the past couple of years. Had a bit of a shock when I went to potentially replace it last Christmas and found it was more or less still "top of the line" as far as Wear OS stuff goes. Also shocked to see that Verizon is still selling these for $350 new, but that's Verizon for you.

Battery life has always been shit (of course, it's massive and loaded with gadgets) and I have to charge it nightly. I've had a few days here and there where for whatever reason the watch battery is at like 10% by the time I get home from work, otherwise it's fine and usually around 40% by the time I go to bed. As you can see below, it can go for over 4 hours of solid screen / GPS use though, so I'm happy with that! The battery life is probably the only real downside honestly and I'm otherwise really happy with this thing.

AJupVVM.png

BrettWeir

Yeah, it’s a 42 but the lug to lug makes it wear small. If you happen to come across one try it out. Glycine is underrated. They offer some of the best Swiss entry level.

That's not so bad then. I was thinking they were 44mm. Not bad at all! My Pelagos is 42mm, which was a gift from my wife.

As for the other comments, I do have an Apple Watch and a few G Shocks (Rangeman, G7900a). I'd like a Tissot Visodate. Classic.

Halcyon

PwQ6ufP.jpg

I love wrist watches. I have a bunch of mid range to cheap that I wear on a regular basis. Got my wife into wearing watches as well.

Here are a few of mine:
You have an authentic Rolex and still go for Steinhart watches?
You love to see it.

Here is my (affordable) dream watch
700.jpg

Rolex Daytona
White Gold
Brown leather strap
Grey Arabic dial.

Maybe a Patek at some point.
That's the obvious end game.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I use a digital Timex Expedition now, stopped caring about watches for style/status and prefer function.

Velcro strap means no cutting extra holes to get a perfect fit.
Digital easier to read than analog in all situations.
Easier to program time and date.
Better watch functionality - analog Timex's do not have stopwatches

This is my watch

images

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
My father in law is a rich snob who certainly fits the vain wrist-watch guy mold. The bigger and more obnoxious the piece the more he wants it, everything looks similar to Flavor Flav's clock around his neck just on his wrist. He bought me one, I only wear it around him, it's a heavy piece of shit that does a million less things than my cellphone which also tells the time.

just googled an example of arm to watch ratio on most of his pieces

product-image-268974213_480x480.jpg

Raven117

My father in law is a rich snob who certainly fits the vain wrist-watch guy mold. The bigger and more obnoxious the piece the more he wants it, everything looks similar to Flavor Flav's clock around his neck just on his wrist. He bought me one, I only wear it around him, it's a heavy piece of shit that does a million less things than my cellphone which also tells the time.

just googled an example of arm to watch ratio on most of his pieces

product-image-268974213_480x480.jpg
To each their own I guess, but damn, money doesnt buy taste.

isual

i mostly have seikos. my everday is a seiko kinetic, my usual is a shogun or the monster. my once in a while is a marinemaster 300, my once a year is a grand seiko sbga 231

jason10mm

Gold Member
Sweet! I really like the blue sunburst dial with the orange seconds hand. I plan on getting an Omega Seamaster at some point. I have a Rolex Explorer, but I don't care for it -- it's way, way too small at 35mm (my wife got it for me) so I'll trade it for the Omega and be happy.
Which explorer? Even the 6 digit 36mm explorers are worth 5-6k now, maybe even more if you kept the box and papers and the watch is in really good condition. Rolex prices have gone CRAZY over the past few years. Do some research if you do decide to flip it for an omega, you should definitely get some cash back in that exchange.

HeresJohnny

Which explorer? Even the 6 digit 36mm explorers are worth 5-6k now, maybe even more if you kept the box and papers and the watch is in really good condition. Rolex prices have gone CRAZY over the past few years. Do some research if you do decide to flip it for an omega, you should definitely get some cash back in that exchange.
Thanks for the heads up! I knew they'd gotten pretty crazy.

It's sub-36, at most 35 but likely 34 but I haven't measured it. This was made in 2007 and has traditional indices at everything but 3, 6, and 9. I know I have the paperwork from when I sent it to Rolex for service, but I'm not sure I still have the original box, I'll have to dig around for it. I love the design of the face, but it's way too small and has no date/day complications. I think I would be a good candidate for an Explorer II if I were to stay with a Rolex.

Top Bottom