• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The wrist watch thread.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Thanks for the heads up! I knew they'd gotten pretty crazy.

It's sub-36, at most 35 but likely 34 but I haven't measured it. This was made in 2007 and has traditional indices at everything but 3, 6, and 9. I know I have the paperwork from when I sent it to Rolex for service, but I'm not sure I still have the original box, I'll have to dig around for it. I love the design of the face, but it's way too small and has no date/day complications. I think I would be a good candidate for an Explorer II if I were to stay with a Rolex.
The explorers were all 36mm, if you have a 34mm then it is an oyster perpetual, not an explorer.

I like the 36mm size but I have sub 7 inch wrists. I have a 16570 explorers that I love, that 40mm size is perfect for watches with a beefy bezel like the exp2 or sub. The "fat lug" rolex watches are too chunky for me, and I will probably never see the new 41mm sub with slimmer lugs and wider bracelet in person. I can sorta pull off the new GMT (not that you can find one of them at retail either), but the 6 digit 42mm explorer2 is far too large. I'm never gonna buy a rolex at 2x retail from a gray, I hope this speculation bubble pops soon.

I like omega a lot as well. That new white face SMP is smoking hot. It is 42mm as well but the tapered lugs help a lot.

Amory

I randomly picked up my first G-Shock, a GA2100-1A1 ("CasiOak") the other day when I found it listed on Amazon for MSRP.

gP7dsNX.jpg

It feels a little too big on my wrist and I'm not sure yet if it's my thing, but I'll see if I get used to it. These are pretty tough to find, so I should be able to flip it if I have to.

Last edited:

Amory

While I hate to make consecutive posts, it's been more than a month and I picked up a watch today that I'm pretty excited about lol

EOaGTSm.jpg

It's a Tudor black bay 58. I went to the jeweler a couple months ago to look at a new seiko I was interested in, and this one caught my eye despite being more expensive. I recently got married and my wife said hey I got an engagement ring, get the watch if you want it. So that was cool.

While I hate to make consecutive posts, it's been more than a month and I picked up a watch today that I'm pretty excited about lol

EOaGTSm.jpg

It's a Tudor black bay 58. I went to the jeweler a couple months ago to look at a new seiko I was interested in, and this one caught my eye despite being more expensive. I recently got married and my wife said hey I got an engagement ring, get the watch if you want it. So that was cool.

That is an amazing piece. I am tinkering and outside doing a lot of things that I would be afraid to wear that at all. I put all my watches away minus my Sinn (beater watch) just because of how active I have become.

Amory

That is an amazing piece. I am tinkering and outside doing a lot of things that I would be afraid to wear that at all. I put all my watches away minus my Sinn (beater watch) just because of how active I have become.
I feel the same way. I work a boring office job (and right now I'm WFH anyway) so I'll wear it to work sometimes when I'm back. Otherwise it'll be more of a special occasion watch

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Nice thread! I have 2 watches.

A Tag Heur Link automatic with a silver face. Bought it new in 2003 and wore it damn near daily until last year and never had any mechanical problems. I did have to replace the clasp but i got a new original tag clasp with the squeeze mechanism as opposed to the push clasp it had before. I hope to be able to give this watch to my son one day. I still have the original box and papers.

Last year I finally took the plunge and bought a used 39mm explorer with box papers and even the original invoice. I love it. Wear that one pretty much daily now.

I hope my next purchase will be a date just with the rhodium face, white gold bezel and jubilee band. Just not sure how to convince my wife :)

Last edited:

Amory

Nice thread! I have 2 watches.

A Tag Heur Link automatic with a silver face. Bought it new in 2003 and wore it damn near daily until last year and never had any mechanical problems. I did have to replace the clasp but i got a new original tag clasp with the squeeze mechanism as opposed to the push clasp it had before. I hope to be able to give this watch to my son one day. I still have the original box and papers.

Last year I finally took the plunge and bought a used 39mm explorer with box papers and even the original invoice. I love it. Wear that one pretty much daily now.

I hope my next purchase will be a date just with the rhodium face, white gold bezel and jubilee band. Just not sure how to convince my wife :)
Explorers are awesome, my second favorite rolex model after the air king, but it's close.

They're just so damn hard to find for a decent price! Just seem to keep going up and up.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Explorers are awesome, my second favorite rolex model after the air king, but it's close.

They're just so damn hard to find for a decent price! Just seem to keep going up and up.

Ya i hope they quadruple in price :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
My Dad has started to get me into watches. My knowledge is a bit limited right now but I want to learn as much as I can about wrist watches.

My Fiancee (soon to be wife in January!!) bought me a Raymond Weil Tango Classic as a present:

product-8160-STP-00308.png

And I recently bought a Raymond Weil Maestro automatic with visible balance wheel:

product-2227-STC-65001.png

The store I bought it from isn't going to stock Raymond Weil watches anymore so I got a really nice $900.00 discount! They want to sell off the last of their stock.

I went back to the store today and all the Maestro's are gone. I was very lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:

Porcile

I've been wearing a mechanical watch for two years now and except for the sweeping seconds hand, I'm definitely starting to get a feeling back towards quartz for some reason. I think I'm just a bit tired of the hit and miss when it comes to accuracy (accuracy has been quite important for me recently) and the value of quartz is pretty damn great. The watch I've been eyeing up is the Casio Oceanus OCW-T200s. Probably about as close to Grand Seiko quality and finishing as you can get for that price point and it even has some hints of the Milguass. Any thoughts on this bad boy? I would take off the bracelet and put it on a dark brown leather strap probably. The other option would be to level up for a quartz Grand Seiko but I just find the design of GS a little too formal for my tastes.

cd_2019_0831__0011-jpg.15067609

TTOOLL

Nice thread! What's a good entry level dress watch brand to own?

I wear a Garmin sports watch 24/7 lol, but I would love to wear something nice once in a while.

Amory

I wear a Garmin sports watch 24/7 lol, but I would love to wear something nice once in a while.
Orient has some really nice pieces in the 100-200 dollar range. Check out the Bambino or Sun & Moon models, there's a bunch to choose from

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I've been wearing a mechanical watch for two years now and except for the sweeping seconds hand, I'm definitely starting to get a feeling back towards quartz for some reason. I think I'm just a bit tired of the hit and miss when it comes to accuracy (accuracy has been quite important for me recently) and the value of quartz is pretty damn great. The watch I've been eyeing up is the Casio Oceanus OCW-T200s. Probably about as close to Grand Seiko quality and finishing as you can get for that price point and it even has some hints of the Milguass. Any thoughts on this bad boy? I would take off the bracelet and put it on a dark brown leather strap probably. The other option would be to level up for a quartz Grand Seiko but I just find the design of GS a little too formal for my tastes.

Thats a really nice looking one! Personally i only like automatics just cause Ive had them for so long but that one is really nice looking. i like the simplicity and the colors.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I could buy this watch for 459€ (new with box and papers)
14568935-ki8bn9ia61baxowvu196hjzi-Zoom.jpg

14568935-ppscw6oy7h61gzlq3jj8aqvt-Zoom.jpg

Yes or no?
Very subtile with those nice blue accents.
There are different ones with more blue, but I like this one:

blc6027-ss001-133-1.jpg

I edited your post cause these pics were insanely large lol. Remember you can click and drag to resize

highrider

Banned

One of the best quartz watches on the market imo. Nice style, and highly advanced accuracy. A true set it and forget it watch.

0neAnd0nly

EOaGTSm.jpg

That is an awesome Tudor man! Black automatic divers are simply too classic to ever look bad. Dress up, down, they just fit well into a rotation!

My Dad has started to get me into watches. My knowledge is a bit limited right now but I want to learn as much as I can about wrist watches.

My Fiancee (soon to be wife in January!!) bought me a Raymond Weil Tango Classic as a present:

product-8160-STP-00308.png

And I recently bought a Raymond Weil Maestro automatic with visible balance wheel:

product-2227-STC-65001.png

The store I bought it from isn't going to stock Raymond Weil watches anymore so I got a really nice $900.00 discount! They want to sell off the last of their stock.

I went back to the store today and all the Maestro's are gone. I was very lucky.

What... What price did you get it for? I am scared I will be jealous! Haha.

What is your budget? Entry can mean different things in the watch world. I would classify entry around $500 or less, some would say $200 or less, some would say $1000 or less.

If you budget is under $200, I would absolutely go with a Seiko, second with Orient (as mentioned above). Seiko is my overall favorite brand. There is a wide range of watches from them, their "recraft" link get's under $200 and it a heck of a watch. Macy's has this rectangle face for $187 currently: Seiko Men's Automatic Recraft Series Stainless Steel Bracelet Watch 40mm & Reviews - All Fine Jewelry - Jewelry & Watches - Macy's It's a more modern design, but that might appeal to someone stepping into the world.

That all being said, you are in a super lucky timeline. The best sub $200 deal currently, is without a doubt the Calvin Klein Infinite from Jomashop at $148 (sign up for e-mail and the $20 off offer may work on top - not sure): Infinite Automatic White Dial Men's Watch K5S346G6 (jomashop.com) There are 3 different colorways to look at. Before someone scoffs at this being a designer watch, it is a swiss automatic using a darn good ETA 2824 movement. The movement itself cost more than the watch. This watch has been popular among watch enthusiast lately because of the crazy price. Important to note, it seems only gray market seller (like Joma) have it. I am really not sure what happened for this watch to get so cheap, there are a few different theories. I added one a while back and paid a little less, and it is a darn good piece for the price and added to my swiss collection. Again, this is a STOUT watch for the price. Worthy of a $300 price tag and really even higher, and that would still be a good deal. Don't sleep on this, $150 is a really, really good deal, I have a feeling we will see much of these sell out near Christmas time.

Last edited:

BrettWeir

Amory Amory - Beautiful BB!!! Had the BB 58 been out when I got my Pelagos, I would have been more inclined to get the BB. Stunning large crown with no crown guards. Amazing homage to the Rolex 6538.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Been having some heart palpitation issues - need to monitor it, work have offered to pay for an Apple Watch for me so time for my first smart watch. Can't say I'm enormously enamoured with them but it is what it is.

Amory

Amory Amory - Beautiful BB!!! Had the BB 58 been out when I got my Pelagos, I would have been more inclined to get the BB. Stunning large crown with no crown guards. Amazing homage to the Rolex 6538.
Thanks! I'm loving it so far. I was on a waiting list for about 6 weeks before it came in, and when I finally went to pick it up I had a moment of panic that it was ultimately too small for my wrist size but I've quickly gotten used to it.

I love the Pelagos as well, can't go wrong with either model.

HeresJohnny

The explorers were all 36mm, if you have a 34mm then it is an oyster perpetual, not an explorer.

I like the 36mm size but I have sub 7 inch wrists. I have a 16570 explorers that I love, that 40mm size is perfect for watches with a beefy bezel like the exp2 or sub. The "fat lug" rolex watches are too chunky for me, and I will probably never see the new 41mm sub with slimmer lugs and wider bracelet in person. I can sorta pull off the new GMT (not that you can find one of them at retail either), but the 6 digit 42mm explorer2 is far too large. I'm never gonna buy a rolex at 2x retail from a gray, I hope this speculation bubble pops soon.

I like omega a lot as well. That new white face SMP is smoking hot. It is 42mm as well but the tapered lugs help a lot.
So, an update. I sold the Rolex and you were correct, it is a 36mm. I got $5k for it which I felt was fair seeing as I lost the box during my last move and I wasn't wearing it because of it being too small. I went and bought an Omega Seamaster 300m Professional in black and I absolutely love it (agonized over which to choose -- the black or the white, but ended up going black because it would be so versatile.) I love the design, love the way it presents on just about any kind of strap (I bought the OEM rubber strap and it came on the bracelet, but it looks sick with a NATO too) and I feel its technical specifications are superior to just about any Rolex in my price range (an example would be the anti-magnetic properties of this watch, which are insane). The only thing that gave me pause was that while Omega is most definitely a luxury brand with a ton of of great heritage, it doesn't have the prestige the Rolex does. Still, the only Rolex I really want is the Explorer II and that goes for around 8 grand right now if you can find one and the specs are not on par with the Omega's. I've always prided myself on being a tool watch guy, even when it's a luxury watch, and I feel the Omega brand fits me better than Rolex, if that makes sense. Anyway, just wanted to say I appreciated the advice... the watch wasn't doing me any good sitting in my case, and now someone who wants it can enjoy it and I've got something I'll wear every day -- win/win.

EDIT: one other thing that blew me away was the presentation box -- with the Rolex, I just got a shitty little green plastic box, but the Omega box is holy shit good. It's zebra wood and the size of a small shoe box with all kind of cubbies for paperwork and whatnot. I know it's meaningless, but the box shows the commitment to presentation from Omega and it's peerless, at least from what I've seen.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

I randomly picked up my first G-Shock, a GA2100-1A1 ("CasiOak") the other day when I found it listed on Amazon for MSRP.

gP7dsNX.jpg

It feels a little too big on my wrist and I'm not sure yet if it's my thing, but I'll see if I get used to it. These are pretty tough to find, so I should be able to flip it if I have to.
The 2100s are white hot right now. You can't find them anywhere retail; you have to go on Ebay or to a JP vendor. I just bought the yellow variant and love it (had to buy from Japan since it was never released domestically.) I would definitely suggest holding on to it; the blacked out variant is super popular and I've seen them going for over $200 at times.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

EOaGTSm.jpg

I think Tudor was an offshoot of Rolex, wasn't it? If it is, you can totally see the heritage there. Beautiful watch. BTW, while looking at your watch I noticed your car in the background and I'd swear that's a BMW 3 or 5 series, am I correct?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i've never really been one for wearing watches. had some when i was younger but would only wear them the odd time. nothing fancy just cheap watches. i have some of them lying about somewhere (and some pocket watches too) but i think they are all broken. when smartphones starting happening i had no reason to wear a watch anymore. i suppose this topic isn't really for smart watches but i got an Apple Watch SE last month and have been wearing it a lot.

IMG-0260.png

HeresJohnny

i've never really been one for wearing watches. had some when i was younger but would only wear them the odd time. nothing fancy just cheap watches. i have some of them lying about somewhere (and some pocket watches too) but i think they are all broken. when smartphones starting happening i had no reason to wear a watch anymore. i suppose this topic isn't really for smart watches but i got an Apple Watch SE last month and have been wearing it a lot.

IMG-0260.png
The Apple watch is different to me. It's more of a wrist computer. The Apple watch both completely negates the need for a conventional watch while also completely reiterating why I need one. I have a Series 3 that I rarely wear, but it scratches a completely different kind of itch for me as the Apple watch is just like a phone and becomes outdated and less valuable over time, while a lot of my dedicated wristwatches hold or gain value. Congrats on the new SE, btw. One of the things I love most about Apple watches are the completely bonkers amount of strap options for them.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

G-Shocks are bad ass. I absolutely love the previous gen Rangeman. With all the G-Shock special editions, they are great for collectables. I once had a Burton Rangeman.......wish I would have held on to that one. I'd absolutely love one of these:

J2UrqnP.jpg
Love the Rangeman. One of the coolest things about G-Shocks are all the limited edition stuff they put out, and you never really know what's going to become popular and highly sought after. I bought the Camo titanium square last year (which honestly is way overpriced for what it is, but who cares -- it's fucking amazing!) I have the GW9400 Ranger in traditional red and black and it's one of my favorite watches, but I'm tempted by the new blackout as well. Besides the size, I think the Rangeman 9400 series is the perfect G... you've got Solar, Multi-band, ABC, sunrise/sunset... it goes on and on. Also just bought a GW50001JF, which aside from the black titanium, is the closest thing to the origin square from '83 I've seen.

Amory

I think Tudor was an offshoot of Rolex, wasn't it? If it is, you can totally see the heritage there. Beautiful watch. BTW, while looking at your watch I noticed your car in the background and I'd swear that's a BMW 3 or 5 series, am I correct?
Yes indeed, 2011 3 series. She's still running strong, hopefully for another few years 🤞🤞

Amory

Picked up a new watch over the weekend, it's a Hamilton Khaki 38mm. Great everyday wear. I love the oversized crown, syringe handset and the bit of red at the end of the second hand. I bought it on a bracelet but looking forward to trying it out on some nato straps too

OY152lO.jpg

I used to be obsessed with watches. My favorites that I owned were the Seiko SARB line (especially the green Alpinist).

Then I got a smartwatch and realized it's just more practical and less expensive. I sold all of my watches except for one Citizen, and that ended that lol. Same thing with knives. These hobbies are expensive.

I will watch this thread, however! I still peruse r/watches from time to time.

Tams

I used wear a Seiko 5 of some sort. I have thing for cream watchfaces. The sort of 'adventurer's' look.

For a few years I went the smartwatch route (Gear S2 Classic -pretty decent), but as the battery got worse I went off it.

I went back to the Seiko 5, but now I wear a Polar more. Some days I do give up the health tracking and go back to my Seiko though.

I wish Polar would make a decent fully featured band, then I could have a nice analogue on one wrist and the band on the other, and not look like some idiot.

I also have a Sekio Cocktail Time as a dress watch. I've gone off the design a bit lately though.

My most desired watch is a Breitling Navitimer. Can't get myself to bite the bullet though. The Breitling Aerospace Red Arrows too because... The Red Arrows.

Braag

I have a few watches, nothing super expensive.
I mainly use my black Seiko Turtle.
I do also have a green Seiko Alpinist and a blue Seiko Cocktail Time.
And sometimes I like to rock my white/steel Hamilton Khaki Field.

That's pretty much it. One day I'll get a Oris diver watch as I love how they look but for now I feel like I have enough watches.

Winter John

Gold Member
It’s almost impossible to find a watch that’s simple and elegant. Every watch I see is about the size of a fuckin plate and looks like a rent boy’s apartment. All I want is something a chap about town can wear. Something that tells the ladies I’m classy and know my way around the labia

jason10mm

Gold Member
It’s almost impossible to find a watch that’s simple and elegant. Every watch I see is about the size of a fuckin plate and looks like a rent boy’s apartment. All I want is something a chap about town can wear. Something that tells the ladies I’m classy and know my way around the labia
What is your budget. I'd recommend the Weiss 38mm automatic has I have one and it is awesome but his prices are around 2K these days so not a casual purchase.

FrgLiqf.png

Maybe one of the Smith watches? Even a seiko 5 or Hamilton? Look for field watches, they tend to be a bit minimalist and have a sporty dress look.

Tams

You're looking for a field watch then. They can be had pretty cheap too. You don't have to go with a NATO band either if you don't want the sporty/military look. Take a look at Seiko, Timex, Wenger, Swatch, Casio, etc.

Bauhaus are, by definition, minimalist. And they aren't too expensive, nor too cheap. Skagen are great too, and about half the price.

But there are plenty of simple watches from other brands.

And in this day and age, just having a non-smartwatch itself is a statement. Though digital ones don't tend to come off as stylish, or only so in certain ways.

Last edited:
Top Bottom