• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox 360 Memory Upgrade Program - definetly come here

Beezy

Psychotext said:
Yeah.... no.

On topic. Very impressive, this must be costing them a small fortune.
I'm sure they made a small fortune by charging $100+ for a fuckin 20GB HD.

itxaka said:
So, for this to work I should,

1-Deattach my 20gb hdd
2-attach a MU with less than 128 mb on it
3-Sign into xblive
4-register my console ID
5-Profit!

?
If your console came in a green box, probably. Otherwise, nope. They know by the serial number which SKU you bought.
Saint Gregory said:
Whuh? I thought it comes out next month?
It does. They probably didn't want to update the message a month from now. :lol

itxaka

Defeatist
BakedPigeon said:
I think the console may need to be an Arcade or a Core unit. We need PRO owners to verify, JEO tried and said he was rejected.

Cool :)

Mine is an arcade but I'm using the HDD of my other 360 (pro) that I got at work and offline.

itxaka said:
Cool :)

Mine is an arcade but I'm using the HD of my other 360 (pro) that I got at work and offline.

Just make sure you have less then 128 MB on that HDD and sign into Xbox Live atleast one time with the storage device showing less then 128 MB at the time.

Then visit the webiste and provide your serial number and console ID and you should be able to participate in the program.

Beezy said:
I'm sure they made a small fortune by charging $100+ for a fuckin 20GB HD.
I'm sure they make a small fortune on games too, doesn't mean they run out and give them out for free.

You don't have to buy this stuff.

CoG

Stumpokapow said:
Well ignoring the stupidity of the metaphor because one can give you a life-terminating illness and the other can at worst make you lose your Ninety-Nine Nights savefile, this is stil not true.

Refurbished hard drives can be anything from a working enclosure whose drive died and a new drive was put in it to a working drive whose enclosure was cracked with no damage to the drive to a store-return drive that had nothing wrong at all. There is no evidence to suggest that refurbed hard drives have a higher failure rate than new in box hard drives. There is no evidence to suggest the 360 process is different than any other PC HDD hard drive refurb process.

The 360 hard drive does very little. Whereas your PC hard drive constantly spins up and spins down and your operating system is constantly using your PC for virtual memory, the same is not true for the 360 drive. It's being used fractions of a percent as much in terms of read/write use as a PC hard drive over the same period of time. The few games that make use of HDD caching do so far more gently than your PC makes use of your HDD each minute of operation.

The average annual replacement rate for hard drives in 1u server situations with high use and poor ventilation is around 4%. The manufacturer stated failure rate is generally <1%. The MTBF is generally around a million hours. Your 360 HDD is spinning a maximum of a few hours a day, and even then very rarely during operation.

In addition, if your drive does die, a non-trivial portion (although not all) of your progress in games is saved/synched with XBL.

Ignoring the inaccuracies in your post. Just trying to do everyone a favor and suggest the free 512MB card over the crap shoot HDD.

saunderez

CoG said:
Ignoring the inaccuracies in your post. Just trying to do everyone a favor and suggest the free 512MB card over the crap shoot HDD.
Guess what you generally receive in return if you RMA a HDD? That's right a refurbished one. Now considering most HDDs now come with a 5 year warranty, do you really think the HDD manufacturers are going to hand you a refurb if it has a high probability of failure. Surely they'd rather send you one that works and then not have to pay for postage both ways the next time it dies right?

Beezy

Psychotext said:
I'm sure they make a small fortune on games too, doesn't mean they run out and give them out for free.

You don't have to buy this stuff.
Um, I don't.

I'm just saying that the value of a 20GB HD is nowhere near $100. I feel sorry for anyone who bought it at that price. Same goes for the wireless adapter.

saunderez said:
Guess what you generally receive in return if you RMA a HDD? That's right a refurbished one. Now considering most HDDs now come with a 5 year warranty, do you really think the HDD manufacturers are going to hand you a refurb if it has a high probability of failure. Surely they'd rather send you one that works and then not have to pay for postage both ways the next time it dies right?

I'm sure throwing out those refurbs cost so much less than postage.

I have an Arcade console with a hard drive that used to belong to my old Premium - the system knew:
Congratulations! According to our records you have the necessary hardware and storage space to enjoy the new Xbox Experience.

Ah well :p

CoG

saunderez said:

Tell that to Western Digital and Maxtor. I've been through about a dozen refurb drives between the both of them over the last 10 years. Now I just sell them on Ebay when I get the exchange. $19.99 is cheap enough to take the risk, but such a pain in the ass to lose the data when it goes.

GarthVaderUK said:
I have an Arcade console with a hard drive that used to belong to my old Premium - the system knew:

Hmmm...might be like the vision camera. You plug it in even once and then you're "marked".

PSGames

So someone could potentially buy a new arcade unit and then use this to get a 20GB HDD for 20 bucks??? Wow. Amazing deal.

MarkusRJR

GarthVaderUK said:

They know EVERYTHING! :eek:

*goes back into the shadows to hide from the MS cameras*

BakedPigeon said:
Do you have less then 128 MB of free space on the HDD?

No, but before I entered my details, I transferred my gamer profile onto a 64MB memory card, removed the hard drive and signed in to LIVE. That clearly didn't work!

Dunlop

itxaka said:
So, for this to work I should,

1-Deattach my 20gb hdd
2-attach a MU with less than 128 mb on it
3-Sign into xblive
4-register my console ID
5-Profit!

?

I had a 20GB drive in and was logged into live at the time. I doesn't check your xbox at all

edit: I posted this 5 seconds after my first comment (took a long time to post for some reason), apparently they do check...but they didn't for me? (New Arcade, 2 weeks old)

I received the confirmation e-mail already

Just tried the elite with no HDD and the elite with a 64mb memory card. Both got me the same message.

Xbox 360 Pro and Elite consoles come with enough memory and are not eligible for this upgrade.

Xyphie

I'd guess this only works with a Core model serial (November 22, 2005 - October 27, 2007) with a 64 MB Memory unit attached. They aren't stupid guys.

Dunlop

firestarter99 said:
Just tried my Arcade 360 with a 64mb memory card and it didn't work, looks like it's for Core models only.

Guess I'm just freaking lucky

Thank you for your recent order as part of the Xbox 360 Memory Upgrade Program. We are processing your order now and can’t wait to see you online. Please visit www.xbox.com/live for more information about the new Xbox 360 Experience.

It's not even a regional thing because I was on the US site at first and it accepted me there. Sorry dudes

firestarter99 said:
Just tried my Arcade 360 with a 64mb memory card and it didn't work, looks like it's for Core models only.
Really? The site specifically says Arcade too:

If you feel you are receiving this message in error and own an Xbox 360 or Xbox 360 Arcade console please validate your serial number and reenter it here. Xbox 360 Pro and Elite consoles come with enough memory and are not eligible for this upgrade.
Have you ever had a HDD connected to it?

Dunlop

Psychotext said:

I don't think it checks in real time, I was logged into LIVE while my kids were streaming a film. My pro 20 GB HDD was connected (I swapped the Arcade as my main).

I had registered the 360 Arcade, maybe that is an issue?

Psychotext said:

Oh my bad on the Arcade comment then and yeah I bought it to replace my crapped out elite and attached the HDD to it.

Xyphie said:
I'd guess this only works with a Core model serial (November 22, 2005 - October 27, 2007) with a 64 MB Memory unit attached. They aren't stupid guys.

Well, I've got a core from the above time frame. I'll disconnect the HDD and leave in the 64MB card, log into live, play a game, then check to see if I qualify. That's if I can ever get the site to load.

Well it is nice for Core users who MS said never needed a HDD, but still, MS doing this in the first place was never a good idea. But after they were trying to cut costs after last gen and everyone and their mother at first saying how useless a HDD was on a console they prolly felt they didn't want to back themselves in a corner and if need be, just make cheaper cores if the Premium/Elite didnt work out.

At this point it seems if you have an arcade and a core and a little luck you will be eligible :lol

Thank god it worked for me......

Psychotext said:
Interesting. Someone I know with a core just tried it and it said he was ineligible. He's got a 20gb connected.

Since we all know that downloads are linked to your 360 maybe if youve downloaded anything off the Marketplace over a certain file size say 300mb Microsoft know you much have used something other than a 64/256mb memory card.

Barkley's Justice said:
$20? $20, dog?? really?? you took the 512 over $20?

I already own an HDD with enough space on it, and I want a memory card with more space then this 256 MB one I have. $20.00 is actually a lot to me and I love free things so.......

Dabanton

Well from reading the site this is all in preparation for the Live update.

MS making sure that the core owners wouldn't be too pissed off when they found out that certain features wouldn't work without a HD:lol

goldenpp72

Dabanton said:
Well from reading the site this is all in preparation for the Live update.

MS making sure that the core owners wouldn't be too pissed off when they found out that certain features wouldn't work without a HD:lol

what's so funny?

Dabanton

BakedPigeon said:
I already own an HDD with enough space on it, and I want a memory card with more space then this 256 MB one I have. $20.00 is actually a lot to me and I love free things so.......

Nice explanation. But if $20.00 is a lot to you.

Then you really shouldn't be gaming. :lol

Dabanton said:
Nice explanation. But if $20.00 is a lot to you.

Then you really shouldn't be gaming. :lol

The last game I bought brand new was GTAIV so yea.... I use to have lots of money when the 360 first came out but times have gotten a lot harder these days on the 'ol wallet.

Dabanton

BakedPigeon said:
The last game I bought brand new was GTAIV so yea.... I use to have lots of money when the 360 first came out but times have gotten a lot harder these days on the 'ol wallet.

Yeah i feel ya.

rjcc

nice, I have three core systems (long story), now i'm getting 20gb hdds for the two that don't have em, plus an extra, for $60? can't argue w/ that.

Accident

I have a 07/2008 Arcade with a 20GB connected (3GB free):

1z4fo6p.png

Dunlop

shagg_187 said:
Are you in Canada? I'm asking because the OP says $19.99 while yours says $29.99

When i hit the american site by accident it said 29.99 also. think it is an arcade 360 only special 9now that I actually read the text)

itsgreen

Dunlop said:
When i hit the american site by accident it said 29.99 also. think it is an arcade 360 only special 9now that I actually read the text)

20 ex 3months live... 30 inc 3 months live...

even better deal imo... 3 months for only 10$

Yes when I entered my CORE units serial and console ID I was presented with the following two options:

1) Free 512 MB Memory Card

or

2) Refurbished 20GB HDD for $19.99

There was no option for a 20GB HDD and 3 months of Live for $29.99, that must be an arcade only special offer.

Top Bottom