• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox 360 Memory Upgrade Program - definetly come here

seat said:
It's not like I have my panties in a wad over this, but can't people see that this is slightly unfair? We shelled out extra for the HD storage space when we bought our 360 consoles because we knew it'd be difficult to take advantage of most of 360's features without it. Arcade buyers took the cheap route and avoided the HD storage space, but now they're getting a forty-dollar memory card for free. Microsoft is rewarding those who took the cheap route.

I really don't care that much about the memory cards, but I disagree that this was the fair tactic for Microsoft to take. Not sure why it's so hard for everyone to understand this.
I think Microsoft should have taken an entirely different tactic from the start. They should not have packaged any memory with the system in the first place, and they should have kept it down to one SKU (or more if they wanted a black or halo special edition), but with no core functionality difference. They should have then started by manufacturing hard drives at a ratio of about .8:1 Those hard drives should have started at 20 gig. Six months to a year in they should have stopped manufacturing 20 gig drives, and when supplies started drying up they should have dropped the price (put it on clearance) and then introduced a 60 gig drive for the price of the original 20 gig. They could continue doing that every 6 months to a year, and they would always have a larger drive available, and probably would have done better profit wise in the end.

Well, maybe they could have included a 64meg card with every system. It would be value added at little additional cost to them, and it's small size would have all but advertised the hard drive add-on. It would have been amazingly cheap for them to do, and would have allowed them to design in some sort of automated save backup system.

fernoca

bmf said:
I think Microsoft should have taken an entirely different tactic from the start. They should not have packaged any memory with the system in the first place...
The original Arcade just was the system, wired controller, misc. cables and nothing else.

fernoca said:
The original Arcade just was the system, wired controller, misc. cables and nothing else.
Yes it was. I think they should have foregone the intentional gimping (the wired controller and the SD only cable) in the arcade, and added a small memory card, and then dropped the other 2 SKUs. Made the hard drive a not-entirely-necessary add-on that would have been highly sought-after anyways.

Marketed it at $300 at the get go as a complete package you could hook up to your HDTV in full HD resolutions and start playing games. No memory card to buy. No choice between multiple SKUs.

The hard drive would have probably sold just as many units at $100 as the upgrade to pro did, and it would have simplified it for everyone, and nobody would have felt like they had to give up something in choosing one package over another.

im eligible but was offered the refurb 20 gig, should I remove the 120gig hd i purchased from the 360 and try again for the free mem card (thats just being greedy, sorry).

I've done some thinking and I'm going to look at this as finally an opportunity for those that bought a core system to redeem themselves in the eyes of the Pro and Elite system owners.

More systems with hard drives will increase the ratio of hard-drive to non-hard drive equipped systems. This means that we'll be one step closer to game companies making games that require a hard drive, and core owners will finally stop gimping my game experience (developers will no longer need to limit games for systems without hard drives).

TwoForFlinching said:
This means that we'll be one step closer to game companies making games that require a hard drive, and core owners will finally stop gimping my game experience (developers will no longer need to limit games for systems without hard drives).
Not...going...to...happen.

Give it up, that opportunity has been and gone.

Well, as promised I decided to give this a try albeit a day later than anticipated.

I have a core unit purchased around March 06. I used it with a 64MB MU and a 20GB hard drive for years, then upgraded to the 120GB drive when the price dropped on them. I haven't had the 360 on since Sunday. I removed the drive so I only had the 64MB MU (which is what I always keep my profile on) and logged in. Poked around downloaded a few things, and got the info from the system blade I needed. Logged out and back in again.

Then went to the website to see what I could get. Zilch. Says I have enough space for the NXE, which is of course true, but I wonder how they are figuring it up (I haven't followed the thread in the last 24hrs.)

What happens to someone who has borrowed their friend's HDD or their friend brought theirs over to play? Or what if you had an HDD or large MU but it died?

These are the tough questions that will keep me up at night...<plugs 120GB HDD back in for some Duke Nukem>

So a friend and I were having a friendly argument over the situation and I was trying to point out a scenario where someone bought a Pro system but then decided they didn't need the hard drive and wanted to sell it and use a 64 meg memory card instead since the minimum requirement was you only needed a memory card to get online and save some games. Under the NXE dashboard, that person would be screwed now. What do you guys think Microsoft's obligation is here?

In my opinion, I believe Microsoft is under some sort of obligation to help this person if Microsoft is going to be offering such a deal to Core and Arcade users because they are now changing the new minimum requirements on the end user. Because if the new dashboard is required, then it would essentially be like bricking someone's system. I would think the end user has every right to sell the pieces and not be responsible for Microsoft raising the minimum requirements as long as he still met them at the time and sold whatever he or she did prior to the announcement of the new minimum requirement.

My friend argues that the person made a conscious decision to do such a thing and Microsoft is under no obligation because it did work out of the box. I argue that an Arcade/Core user made a conscious decision to not get one with larger capacity and that it's the same either way.

So what do you guys think on this? It doesn't seem right to me that Microsoft would have the ability to brick someone's system by stating new minium requirements.

Psychotext said:
"Person" sold a part of their hardware... obligation = nothing.

How is choosing to sell something and yet still meeting the minimum requirements as outlined by Microsoft who has also stated that a HDD would not be mandatory, different than someone choosing to go with a Core or Arcade unit? How can you justify the potential bricking of a system because Microsoft chooses to change what is required?

Argyle

Marty Chinn said:
How is choosing to sell something and yet still meeting the minimum requirements as outlined by Microsoft who has also stated that a HDD would not be mandatory, different than someone choosing to go with a Core or Arcade unit? How can you justify the potential bricking of a system because Microsoft chooses to change what is required?

I'm the person Marty was arguing with, btw. :)

First off - has it been proven that the NXE will "brick" your Xbox if you don't have a storage unit? I would find this extremely unlikely. As I understood it, the extra storage was only needed for certain features.

Think about the logistics for a second - would you think it a good idea to engineer it to require a storage unit like a memory card which is easily lost? Would it be worth it in customer service calls if the machine was well and truly bricked if that memory card was detached from the system and misplaced? You couldn't even send that consumer another memory card to fix their system if it failed to boot without the old one...

If the NXE doesn't brick your Xbox - which is the more likely case - then MS owes Core and Arcade users NOTHING. But since they want to make good with those people and let them get the full upgrade, they are offering this deal for free/cheap.

If you willingly sell your hardware and you end up missing out on some new features...that's the chance you take. People always bitch about how they should be able to do whatever they want with their consoles, and now in this hypothetical situation, someone has done just that and this is somehow Microsoft's problem? People need to take responsibility for their own actions, don't you think? :)

Zoc

So I was thinking about getting an Arcade 360 sometime soonish. It'd be my first 360. Does anyone in here with more understanding of MS, the history of the 360, etc, care to speculate on whether the Arcade will be packed with a 512mb card soon, or whether any other changes will be made to what's in the box?

Psychotext said:
Yeah.... it's not going to brick anything. How crazy do you think they are?

Brick as in made unusuable until you have the appopriate amount of memory available. This is all assuming that you need the extra capacity to run the new dashboard and the dashboard is required. Now if they have some default dashboard that runs when you don't have external storage or not enough space left, then yes, Microsoft has no obligation. But if the dashboard is required going forward, and you know they always have new flashes on the discs, and the dashboard requires memory, they have to be obligated to some degree because they have now changed the minimum requirements to run the system. I'm using the term brick as in unusable, not that you fucked up the flash and now there's nothing you can do.

gcubed

so quick question to owners of 360's, i just bought an arcade and am getting this 20gb hard drive. Is 20gb big enough for regular usage?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Well, here's the snag Microsoft is going to hit in more than a few cases: sure enough, one of my housemates who bought a core system could not get the free upgrade. Why? Because, a 20 gig hard drive had, a year ago, been plugged into his system in order for it to be able to be used as a terminal to play Halo 3 co-op campaign on the LAN.

'cept MS now, evidently, has that system logged into the database as "having sufficient storage".

Problem is, how can they realistically resolve this? If you call to work it out, they have no way of knowing that you're not lying and have a hard drive sitting right there for your core system, bought after the fact.

But, the removable hard drive was touted for just the functionality that my friend's system was used for.

So everyone who's system ever got tagged by a visiting hard drive is SOL.

I realize this is not going to be like, 2 million core owners, but still.

knitoe

gcubed said:
so quick question to owners of 360's, i just bought an arcade and am getting this 20gb hard drive. Is 20gb big enough for regular usage?

It's plenty unless you plan on doing future game installs and/or download movies.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
gcubed said:

It took me 2 years to fill up my 20 gig hard drive, but granted, that curve accelerated rapidly towards the final 3 months due to Rock Band DLC songs.

Basically, 20 gigs is okay for regular usage and downloading / keeping upwards of 100 typical XBLA games, say.

But if you're gonna buy tons of DLC - especially from Rock Band which is like its own pocket dimension - or download a lot of video files, you'll feel the pinch.

Not to mention a 20 gig will probably be able to install, oh, 3 disc based games at a time under the new dashboard.

Should be fine to get you started.

soco

Kaijima said:
Well, here's the snag Microsoft is going to hit in more than a few cases: sure enough, one of my housemates who bought a core system could not get the free upgrade. Why? Because, a 20 gig hard drive had, a year ago, been plugged into his system in order for it to be able to be used as a terminal to play Halo 3 co-op campaign on the LAN.

'cept MS now, evidently, has that system logged into the database as "having sufficient storage".

Problem is, how can they realistically resolve this? If you call to work it out, they have no way of knowing that you're not lying and have a hard drive sitting right there for your core system, bought after the fact.

i would assume that this is nothing more than a hurdle to prevent them from spending more money than necessary. i'm betting that if you call them and explain that it wasn't your harddrive but rather that of a friends who came to visit, they'll probably still send you one. i'm guessing it's like the XP & Vista License thing where if you just call them, they'll give you a new license.

You need the 128mb to install the NXE onto your 360. No 128MB free, no install.

MS have changed the way that the dashboard installs, it no longer unpacks into volatile memory and installs from there, now it is unpacked onto your memory unit/hard drive and installs from there instead. One of the reasons previous 360 updates bricked consoles was that if anything interrupted the console whilst the update was happening all data on the system memory would be lost and you'd be left with a 360 with no OS. MS have taken steps to ensure that this no longer happens.

(Course I'm not saying its impossible, a power cut in the middle of an update might fuck you up I guess)

By the way, when are us outside the USA going to be offered this sort of deal?

Kaijima said:

But, the removable hard drive was touted for just the functionality that my friend's system was used for.

See I don't believe this is true. I am a core w owner (dont ask) and a pro owner and I actually went out and purchased a HDD for my core and used it for about a year and a half until it fried and was garbage. I have been using my memory card with it since then and that console was ELIGIBLE for this program. I don't think having it plugged at "one time" into a HDD screws you out of the program because then it would not have worked for me.

gcubed

knitoe said:
It's plenty unless you plan on doing future game installs and/or download movies.

ok cool, i have a ps3 and already use it for rock band so thats one thing that will save me some space, and i figure i can do 1 full install at a time without an issue correct?

Dunlop

Fatghost said:
How does this work for non Americans?

I enter in my console ID numbers, and the next page won't let me select a country besides the US.

Just click the link in the OP and then select your country at the top right.

Then enter your SN and console ID

I still don't get how they are tracking anytning as I mentioned I had a 20GB HD installed and was on LIVE when my 2 week old Arcade was accepted (for the $29.99 deal), I didn;t thnk it would have been accepted in the first place so I did not take any precautions

Guled

Kaijima said:

I had a HD for my arcade and I just took it off and got my 20gig or 20$

RuGalz

I was about to do this to get a memory card but my x360 showed me the red rings. :lol How long does this offer last?

RuGalz said:
I was about to do this to get a memory card but my x360 showed me the red rings. :lol How long does this offer last?

Talk about shitty luck....

It just says limited time offer as far as I know.

RuGalz said:
Uhm... If you have the data needed, you can just go to the web site and input the serial # and the console #. Otherwise, I'd try the towel trick, and see if you can grab those numbers while you can.

krae_man

Okay, changing the country worked this time, My 20gb HD order is placed.

Just need Mario to release more Gripshift DLC so I'll have something to put on the HD.

Dunlop

Just an FYI

for those that haven't received a shipping notice (like me) I called MS and they said it could take up to 2 weeks.

Now whether they said that just to get me off the phone remains to be seen

rjcc

soco said:
i would assume that this is nothing more than a hurdle to prevent them from spending more money than necessary. i'm betting that if you call them and explain that it wasn't your harddrive but rather that of a friends who came to visit, they'll probably still send you one. i'm guessing it's like the XP & Vista License thing where if you just call them, they'll give you a new license.

I got the same message, I have two core's, one hdd, I emailed them they said to call and I should be able to get it, I jut haven't called yet

Me likey downloady demoy.

Giving BioShock a demo. I'm pretty sure I'll like the game, but just want to make sure. Me and the FPS genre have some issues. Halo:CE is the only that I've ever really liked. Besides the multiplayer demo of SoF2: Double Helix.

I think a combo of horror and FPS might be what I need, more then gunplay. Looking at Condemned also.

jts

...hate me...
So guys... if i buy an X360 Arcade right now, will i be eligible for this program? Mind you i'm in yurop, no less.

mio said:
So guys... if i buy an X360 Arcade right now, will i be eligible for this program? Mind you i'm in yurop, no less.

You are eligable in the US. My friend just did that and his HDD already shipped.

Top Bottom