• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rlan

Kafel said:
The logo gave it away, I could have chosen 'Arkedo' for my Live nick too.

The point is that I was surprised to find a game by them there and they really should take an hour or two to type e-mails and let media (they looooove this studio) know where the Live Indies are on the map and that they plan to push the walls there.

I sent them an e-mail as soon as I saw it up. Trailers and screenshots need to be made people! Sell yourself!

RPS37

I bought JUMP! right as the screen popped up telling me to unlock to keep playing because, well, I wanted to keep playing. Played through till I died a few times, but I'm determined to come back and finish the whole thing soon. This may be exactly the kind of game I've been wanting from Indie Games, starting with having an art style. Looking forward to the next Arkedo series game.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Kafel said:
You can create a US account or a UK, French one ... and get these games.

I dont feel like buying more points. There are some indie games i would like to buy, but i am not going out of my way just to get them. I will wait until they come here, if they ever do.

acm2000

Kafel said:
The logo gave it away, I could have chosen 'Arkedo' for my Live nick too.

The point is that I was surprised to find a game by them there and they really should take an hour or two to type e-mails and let media (they looooove this studio) know where the Live Indies are on the map and that they plan to push the walls there.

to be fair, reading his post, even he seemed surprised it was up already :p

For 240 points, Jump was quite fun. I wished there was more to it, more difficult, and save points, but it was still a solid "B" indie title. Very satisfying.

Oh, and the music to the game kicked ass. Can you provide download for these? I especially like the final stage one

Pharoah

Hello guys,

Thanks a lot for the feedback, keep them coming :)
Sorry about us being quite slow on this one, it was indeed (much) faster than expected.

WhiteAce and InfectedZero, thanks for the video, you rock.
Our take on the trailer can be found here. We will upload a better version asap.

Back soon!
(We know we must answer a lot of questions asked here, will do today.
And we must start to push our game, now that it is live o_O
Remember: French = LAZY)

Glad to hear from you Pharoah! And your welcome, anything to help out :D And no excuses on being lazy!!!! hahaha

EDIT - Also Ninja Bros. is VERY interesting.

Harteex

xboxboxart.jpg

No one tried SummerVacation?

Despite the japanese description, the game is available in english.
Graphics aren't anything special, but I think it's a great puzzle game :D

In the game you control a girl who has to pick up all the stars, while avoiding enemies by blocking their paths. You can also pickup things to build new ground on water, remove blocking rocks, and dig holes.

Only 80 points too.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/sv-SE/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550313/
http://catalog.xna.com/en-US/GameDe...d=07000893-7bc3-4bc2-baa3-5ecccb661403&type=2

Zeouterlimits said:
Are XNA games not available in Europe yet?!?

XNA games are available in the following countries:
Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States

mujun

Harteex said:
XNA games are available in the following countries:
Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States

Any idea when it's hitting Australia and other places?

Pharoah

Yup, we discovered this morning that JUMP! has just been taken down by Microsoft :(

Following the advice of the XNA community, we decided to change our name down the line, approx 6 days ago.
It looks like it has been seen as an attempt to hack the system (when you make changes to your project -most of the time it's for updates, you must wait 7 days before submitting again, which makes perfect sense).

The catch is... that we were told editing the name was an exception to the rule, and would not affect us, as the build was exactly the same.

We have been really careful about this, as you may imagine. It is our first XNA game. We wanted to play the game by the community rules, because the idea behind this is great. We are used to much stricter Lotcheck stuff, and the number of XNA rules is really small -nice!, so of course we looked at them veeeery carefully.

Hmm, not enough, it seems. We got a 7 days ban, and must start the reviewing process all over again.

We are looking into this: seeing JUMP! being taken down like this is a bit harsh.
We are no crooks!
:)

Maybe it's just a misunderstanding. We'll see in the morning. For the moment everyone in the US is sleeping, gaming and/or having sex.

Sorry about this, guys. Back soon, hopefully!

mujun

Pharoah said:
Yup, we discovered this morning that JUMP! has just been taken down by Microsoft :(

Following the advice of the XNA community, we decided to change our name down the line, approx 6 days ago.
It looks like it has been seen as an attempt to hack the system (when you make changes to your project -most of the time it's for updates, you must wait 7 days before submitting again, which makes perfect sense).

The catch is... that we were told editing the name was an exception to the rule, and would not affect us, as the build was exactly the same.

We have been really careful about this, as you may imagine. It is our first XNA game. We wanted to play the game by the community rules, because the idea behind this is great. We are used to much stricter Lotcheck stuff, and the number of XNA rules is really small -nice!, so of course we looked at them veeeery carefully.

Hmm, not enough, it seems. We got a 7 days ban, and must start the reviewing process all over again.

We are looking into this: seeing JUMP! being taken down like this is a bit harsh.
We are no crooks!

Maybe it's just a misunderstanding. We'll see in the morning. For the moment everyone in the US is sleeping, gaming and/or having sex.

I hope it goes nice and smooth for you guys. Cool game, I grabbed it.

acm2000

Pharoah said:

We are no crooks!

:lol thats just amusing and silly at the same time, however, that gives you 7 days to start promoting your game :p

t3nmilez

Kaiten Patissier is up. Cute Japanese game where you flip the screen to pick up food, get all of the ingredients and you beat the level. Made by the guys who did Summer Vacation and Green Island. Fun game, seems to have a decent amount of levels, worth the 80 points. Heh, I've bought all of their games so far, I really like this dev team!

paperinik

Neo Member
Pharoah said:

We are no crooks!

Hey mates, I'm a XNA indie developer too (known as Running Pixel maker of bricks4ever and Crystal Crush - the first one was top seller for some weeks)

what happened to your wonderful game? I read you renamed the game, but... how hell is it possible? You can't rename anything during the peer review phase (if I recall).

Please tell me more about this.

djdac

Damn I was about to buy Jump! and couldn't find it. Hope its back soon!

On a side note I bought Kaiten Patissier and its so damn addictive.

Anso

Just a quick notice that Indie Game and DBP'08 finalist Artoon has been taken off the service after a C&D letter from video game developer Artoon. Oscar's planning on adding a few levels, change the name and let it back on the service again. Don't hold your breath ;)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anso said:
Just a quick notice that Indie Game and DBP'08 finalist Artoon has been taken off the service after a C&D letter from video game developer Artoon. Oscar's planning on adding a few levels, change the name and let it back on the service again. Don't hold your breath ;)

Ugh. I noticed Welcome to Mexico was also removed. No idea why. Any other C&D'd community games titles?

Brakara

Anso said:

Does that mean we who bought his game will get the updated version for free?

Anso

Brakara said:
Does that mean we who bought his game will get the updated version for free?

I will look into that but I'm pretty sure you will, haven't talked to Oscar in a while since he's been busy with work and I'm not doing any additional music for the update. You probably will, I'll get back to you.

EDIT: Got a hold of him. There WILL be new content and all signs are pointing to people that bought Artoon will get it for free but it's ultimately a matter of how Microsoft solves it. Probably nothing to worry about though!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Pharoah said:

We are no crooks!

Ugh, that's awful news. Microsoft can be a pain to deal with sometimes but I wish you the best of luck. I'll be buying the game when it's back up! :D

Kafel

Banned
Pharoah said:

You have to wait one week and get playtested each time you change something about your game so people don't use this way to always appear on "new releases".

It's an honest mistake and MS didn't ban you for something wrong or forbidden you've done.

toneroni

Anso said:
Argh this sucks...I had a lot of fun playing the PC build. Best of luck! :]

Sorry to pimp this but just a reminder that there are less than 10 days left to submit games to our contest!

XNA is welcome, short demos are okay as well! We would like users to wrap their demos in a program such as http://www.codeplex.com/xnainstaller though.

Obviously you can get the game on XNA Indie yourself but we're interested in working on deals to bring them to other systems and/or XBLA proper ;)
Also, you can just use it as a way to gain extra exposure and win some cash :p

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/05/indie-game-storm-strikes-xbla-psn-wiiware-iphone/
Our community favorite in the last contest was built in XNA and will be rebuilt and for various consoles! Last year we had several finalists using XNA, some flash, some even with Game Maker!

PM me with any Q's so as not to clog up this thread

Pharoah

Allright, JUMP! is back. US store OK, other ones shortly.
\o/

Thank you Microsoft for correcting this so quickly!

(grabs a cup of champagne, and jumps back into the tub)

Gowans

What was the whole thing with jump in the end?

Gona nab it in 30.

Also gota get the GAF recommends thread op updated with all the new GAF made games and other great releases.

Anso

toneroni said:
Argh this sucks...I had a lot of fun playing the PC build. Best of luck! :]

Sorry to pimp this but just a reminder that there are less than 10 days left to submit games to our contest!

Thanks man, we like the game quite a bit ourselves 0: )
Oscar talked to a Microsoft representative and it should be all good as soon as he finishes the update and.. well.. comes up with a new name.

Suggestions?

EDIT: Also, shit, forgot about 2BEE. I'm gonna get on the other guys from Morsel's asses about finishing a new, better build of Kaleidoscope (DBP '09 finalist) for 2BEE. The PC build didn't suffer from PAX builds unfortunate loading times either. I cry myself to sleep when I think about the PAX build..

mujun

chubigans said:
Ugh, that's awful news. Microsoft can be a pain to deal with sometimes but I wish you the best of luck. I'll be buying the game when it's back up! :D

So your game is going up on Wiiware and PSN?

mujun

chubigans said:
Wiiware no. PSN...maybe. :)

So Sony have been easier to deal with huh? Maybe you should try and get it onto Wiiware too so you can make a thread detailing the differences between the process for each company :)

Gowans

Nabbed Jump last night, great great game.

I'm shocked there hasn't been any discussion in the media or even a official thread, one of the most fun, visually appealing and polished games on the Indies, could see it as a XBLA game.

Rated it five star.

I'll be updating the Indies Games That don't suck thread later this week if any one wants to get voting or suggesting.

I'll also search this thread for more GAF made games to put in the Op too.

Rlan

Hah, cool - Platypus is coming out.

platypuscover.jpg

http://www.escapistgames.com/

Time to show off some more cool stuff we've been working on the past few weeks...

It's Platypus! And it's almost done. Honestly, it's so close to finished I can taste it. And it tastes, well.. like plasticine actually. But never mind the taste, look at how beautiful it is!

I thought I'd include this screenshot because it shows two quite important things. Firstly, the more observant and multilingual among you will notice that it's in Italian. Yep, we're translating Platypus into 7 languages! Quite a feat and it's still not quite finished.

Secondly, as you should be able to tell I'm about to seriously buy the farm in this picture, but that demonstrates the cool pixel-perfect collision, now fully working.

Anyway, to backtrack a little, Platypus is a side-scrolling shoot-em-up, made by a very talented guy called Anthony Flack. He made it using Blitz Basic and a whole lot of plasticine, a few years ago now and the story of how he did it is really quite interesting. Escapist Games is bringing this little bundle of fun to Xbox Live Indie Games, converted directly from the original PC version. In the process we've upgraded it to HD widescreen, improved the audio and added various extra's, and it's going to be available very soon. We just need to finish these translations...

Anyone know what the German is for "Seriously cool multi-player fun"?

http://escapist-games.blogspot.com/2009/09/platypus-on-xbox-indie-games.html#comments

Pharoah

Thanks a lot, Gowan007 :)
(and everyone else...)

We are starting to build some hype about this game, the concept of putting a Series on Indie Games, and what it means for us. And we have a trailer to show, now!

TRAILER : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxlvAuJPtHI&fmt=18
You may grab a better quality file on our site (please rehost it after doing so) here : www.arkedo.com/media/JUMP_Trailer.wmv

Arkedo Series - 02 SWAP! should be sent for peer review soon. Goal is having it live before end of October.
Expect something completely different...

Rlan

mujun said:
Awesome, this is the guy who is doing the Cletus game on XBLA right? The claymation one.

Yes, but I don't believe he makes any money off of Platypus, unless the developers themselves hand him a bit of helping money. If anything it'll help awareness for Cletus Clay.

Pharoah said:
Thanks a lot, Gowan007 :)
(and everyone else...)

We are starting to build some hype about this game, the concept of putting a Series on Indie Games, and what it means for us. And we have a trailer to show, now!

TRAILER : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxlvAuJPtHI&fmt=18
You may grab a better quality file on our site (please rehost it after doing so) here : www.arkedo.com/media/JUMP_Trailer.wmv

Arkedo Series - 02 SWAP! should be sent for peer review soon. Goal is having it live before end of October.
Expect something completely different...
I like the look and style a lot, true classic remastered feeling.

My friend's gf made this game, it has awesome music (emulated C64 chiptunes). They made a trailer here, gameplay starts at 0:32

Apparently it plays like "Simon"... Not the most inspiring gameplay, but I'm getting this for the music :D

SkinnyPupp said:
My friend's gf made this game, it has awesome music (emulated C64 chiptunes). They made a trailer here, gameplay starts at 0:32

Apparently it plays like "Simon"... Not the most inspiring gameplay, but I'm getting this for the music :D

Pretty good trailer. I might give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom