• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omer

Neo Member
MightyHedgehog said:
Yeah, I don't mind clones...especially if there are neat and significant new folds or takes on the game type being remade. But the range of what gets cloned most of the time is pretty narrow...reflecting a limited gaming history on the part or creator and/or the need to simply work on something current and popular as well as easily understood (to make the job of making it easier).

I'm pretty much done with arena-style twin-stick shooters. If people want to make more twin-stick controlled clones, how about going back to multiplayer co-op focused ones in the vein of Ikari Warriors/Guerrilla Warf/Mercs/Shock Troopers, Forgotten Worlds/Trouble Shooter, Jackal, Avengers, or Alien Syndrome? Even a Gauntlet or Quartet clone using twin-stick control would be interesting. Something with some semblance of level design and a sense of progression that goes beyond more and more stuff to shoot and dodge in a box. Of course, for all of my typing here, I could do well to probably address this issue myself if only I didn't waste time reading this forum...hmmm...

Well I think you might like my game (hopefully) currently in review, should be finished on Wednesday night. I'm about ready to start on the marketing, putting together nice screens and a trailer for the world to see.

The game is called Tiger Storm and its almost here! Check the preview video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5-EIDorIeg

Once its released I will post a full intro and overview!

Until then, enjoy!

Omer

Neo Member
Noogy said:
I'd very much like to see that myself too. It's a bit surprising how we don't see many games like that anymore. I kind of enjoyed that recent downloadable Zombie Apocalypse game, but if it had actual scrolling levels, bosses, and anything but zombies, we might have something cool. I'd like an updated Guerilla War/Mercs game. I don't think it'd be very hard to do, as the mechanics for a twin-stick shooter are one of the easiest to implement.

Here's a quick preview of my game in review. Not sure if the images will work? (Noob post!):

CatalogImage.aspx

CatalogImage.aspx

CatalogImage.aspx

Anso

DBP '08 finalist Artoon was, as you might have noticed, taken down after a C&D from Japanese developer Artoon. However, I bring GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

Artoon now has 10 extra levels and is basically ready to launch again. The people who bought the original will get this version for free. There might be additional content too (we've been talking about a new world but nothing's 100%). Right now the only issue we have is what the new NAME will be. Currently it's codenamed Artzy but to be fair, that's not very good. We appreciate any and all suggestions for Artoon's new name, the one with the best suggestion will get 1. a virtual cookie 2. a "Thanks" and 3. their suggestion as our title. Don't disappoint me GAF :3

EDIT: Actually, if we pick a name you suggested you'll get a spot in the special thanks section! Right below Oscar's cat. :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anso said:
DBP '08 finalist Artoon was, as you might have noticed, taken down after a C&D from Japanese developer Artoon. However, I bring GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

Artoon now has 10 extra levels and is basically ready to launch again. The people who bought the original will get this version for free. There might be additional content too (we've been talking about a new world but nothing's 100%). Right now the only issue we have is what the new NAME will be. Currently it's codenamed Artzy but to be fair, that's not very good. We appreciate any and all suggestions for Artoon's new name, the one with the best suggestion will get 1. a virtual cookie 2. a "Thanks" and 3. their suggestion as our title. Don't disappoint me GAF :3

Artwoon. Artzy is actually not half bad either.

Anso

So we should REALLY keep the "GAF recommends" post updated since the Indie Games service is getting better by the minute. I've posted a few new recommendations and will come back with even more when I get home, you do the same so we can sort the good from the bad!

Whatever happened to that shooter that a few people on GAF were working on? I'm pretty sure it had "Last" in the title, but I can't find the thread.

t3nmilez

toythatkills said:
Or they could just introduce rules so people fail such games at peer review.

Adds more layers of complexity and arbitrary decisions to the review process. Who is to decide which achievements are "valid"? Sure, "press start for 100gs" would be obvious, but what about a really short 1 level game where you get the gs for the 3 minutes it takes to complete? I think it would cause more problems than it would solve.

I think maybe 50 gamer score for 400pts and up games would be an easy solution to help cutout the garbage games and also help drum-up sales for the more deserving titles.

xbhaskarx

AlphaTwo00 said:
The 4 minute cap is stupid, stupid, stupid. However, it does give me a good measure of whether the game is good or not.

If I quit before the 4 minute trial, it's safe to say it's a pass. However, if I'm swearing at the 4 minute trial window, then the game is potentially good.
So then it's not stupid in most situations, as it is serving it's purpose.

Feep

Banned
All cutscenes have been programmed into my game, Sequence. Took weeks. It's been a year and a half, and I'm getting closer and closer. A March or April release is looking highly likely.

I can promise you all this. When this game is done, it will be unique on the Indie Games platform. It isn't a simple gameplay concept, or an arcade-style title. You can't beat it in an hour, or two, or four, or probably even eight. It has a full story, written by myself and several Hollywood screenwriters, with hand-drawn, high resolution art, and music from Ronald Jenkees himself.

Believe, GAF. Sequence is coming.

/shameless promotion

Gowans

Anso said:
So we should REALLY keep the "GAF recommends" post updated since the Indie Games service is getting better by the minute. I've posted a few new recommendations and will come back with even more when I get home, you do the same so we can sort the good from the bad!

Yeah I know I need to get on updating that op when I get in from work, that post will help. Buzy times.

Really should do a specific thread for the Arkedo stuff to, wouldn't mind some more chat about them.

Anso

Gowans007 said:
Yeah I know I need to get on updating that op when I get in from work, that post will help. Buzy times.

Really should do a specific thread for the Arkedo stuff to, wouldn't mind some more chat about them.

Very true. I posted a list of stuff that needed to be updated in the original post and some more suggestions, hope that helps. I'm thinking about creating a thread for the Kaleidoscope launch too. The game is practically done (and vastly improved compared to the DBP '09 sumbission and PAX10 demo), we just have to iron out a thing concerning the audio. Should be released in 1-2 weeks!

ShogunX

Anso said:

EDIT: Actually, if we pick a name you suggested you'll get a spot in the special thanks section! Right below Oscar's cat. :lol

Merge both names and go with Artzoon :D - Just wondering why didn't you guys offer a download token for the winner?

Anso

Shogun PaiN said:
Merge both names and go with Artzoon :D - Just wondering why didn't you guys offer a download token for the winner?

Good question, I'm thinking we'll give those to reviewers and similar.. I'm not the big boss after the project though so I can't really defend that hahaha, thanks for the suggestion though.

EDIT: Just a quick question, do you guys have any XBLIG games that you think are worth the 400 points asked for it? Doing some research, I'm mainly an 80 points guy myself.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Anso said:

Balltoon
Artbounce
Angryball no Bounce Bounce Monogatari
Art*bert

Brakara

Anso said:
EDIT: Just a quick question, do you guys have any XBLIG games that you think are worth the 400 points asked for it?

Avatar Golf comes to mind, but mainly because of its track editor (which gives it a much longer life).

Anso said:

Artzy Edge a game by Mirrors.

t3nmilez

Picked up Frequency. Really well-made game, pretty original idea to use the colors in the environment to your advantage. Great production values, nice animation in the characters, seems to have some sort of an interesting story but I didn't get that far into the game. Promises multiple endings and game scenarios though, so it probably has a good amount of meat on it. Worth the 240.

Dr Zhivago said:
I tried Beat Hazard, I wasn't convinced the music was influencing the gameplay at all.

Yeah, it didn't seem like it, but the graphics did synch up with the beats. Still a really cool game with really psychedelic graphics.

Frequency does look pretty cool. I'll have to check out the demo. The look of the game in the still photos turned me off when flipping through new releases on the menu.

You just have to think that if more of these devs could do something just a little more stylish with retro graphics, a la Arkedo Jump, they would get more DLs and more buys.

Omer

Neo Member
Dear Gaffers,

I am pleased to announce my next title called TIGER STORM:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550359/

xboxboxart.jpg

screen1_Web.jpg

screen2_Web.jpg

This is a top-down scrolling arcade shooter. Not the overdone arena shooters, but a real throwback to the classic arcade titles like ikari warriors.

You control a Tank and have to blast the crap out of everything. CO-OP play for 2 players. Run through the entire game with a friend!

I would ask you all to try it and let me know what you think.

Thank you all.

Good day! :D

Omer

Neo Member
InfectedZero said:
Downloaded the Tiger Storm demo and after I "start a new game" it just gets stuck on the loading screen.

The game does not hang at the loading screen - its just takes a while to load. As the levels are generated and the physics meshes divided up, it takes a while to run through the whole level to create collision meshes.

Apologies for the long loads, but please be patient - I'm working on it! :D

Omer said:
The game does not hang at the loading screen - its just takes a while to load. As the levels are generated and the physics meshes divided up, it takes a while to run through the whole level to create collision meshes.

Apologies for the long loads, but please be patient - I'm working on it! :D

Hmm. Could be a glitch then? Cause I waited 5 minutes and nothing loaded, before restarting it lmfao. Then after the restart it took about 30 or so seconds. Its an interesting game, only have one problem shooting the main cannon, or im not used to it.

Omer

Neo Member
InfectedZero said:
Hmm. Could be a glitch then? Cause I waited 5 minutes and nothing loaded, before restarting it lmfao. Then after the restart it took about 30 or so seconds. Its an interesting game, only have one problem shooting the main cannon, or im not used to it.

The cannon may take a while to get used too - if you tap the RB button it will shoot out the same distance. If you hold the button down and let go after a while (there is a white bar on the hud that fills) the cannon will shoot further.

There are other powerups scattered throughout the game. You'll have to purchase the full game to get them all ;)

What are your thoughts on it so far? Playability, GFX, SFX?

Tiger Storm: you definitely need to do something about the loading times. Either speed it up, or add a progress bar so people can tell it's hasn't crashed.
The AI is a bit single-minded as well - all they seem to do is fire relentlessly at you, makes the game quite hard. I'd also add some kind of aiming cursor for the cannon.
This game has real potential, though.

Ran into something interesting recently, the maker of the flash based anime "Genryu's Blade" [side note: he did tell me Genryu's blade 2 will come in due time :D ] is planning on creating an XNA game in the near future. He updates his blog/portfolio every once and awhile, hoping he makes a worthwhile contribution within the next year.

http://www.nelxon.com

Artune
Artsplash / Artzplash
Artology
Artritis
Colorgraphy (Colourgraphy)

Omer

Neo Member
Noogy said:
I never had a chance to playtest your game, but that's a nice trailer. I'm wondering what that font is called, since it's very much Gears of War'ish.

the font is called CGF Locust Resistance - must be inspired from Gears, but doesn't include any special or foreign characters, which is a shame :(

LocoMrPollock said:
Trailer convinced me to download it.

Thanks! Looks like the trailer is doing its job! ;D

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I thought i'd never live to see this day but ...

Loafjaw has released a game whose title is a line from an Half Man Half Biscuit song :

"Squid Yes! Not so Octopus"

Game is pretty good too - arena shooter, 1 life, colourful, evokes/summons Minter :)
80 pts.

has fun options too - includes scanlines!!!

Anso

WhiteAce said:
I thought i'd never live to see this day but ...

Loafjaw has released a game whose title is a line from an Half Man Half Biscuit song :

"Squid Yes! Not so Octopus"

Game is pretty good too - arena shooter, 1 life, colourful, evokes/summons Minter :)
80 pts.

has fun options too - includes scanlines!!!

HOLY SHIT IT'S RELEASED!!!

I've been looking forward to this forever, my life is complete now <3

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The demos only work online, which is bizarre because XBLA demos don't have that restriction. If I pay for an Indie game, can I play it offline then?

Rlan

TAJ said:
The demos only work online, which is bizarre because XBLA demos don't have that restriction. If I pay for an Indie game, can I play it offline then?

Nope, you need to be online. This is how they get around the lack of ESRB ratings.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Rlan said:
Nope, you need to be online. This is how they get around the lack of ESRB ratings.
Fuuuuuuuuuu...
No Indie for me. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom