• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyn Doctor

Neo Member
Psychotext said:
...although, there's functionality exposed by the XNA framework which seems to cover it:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.xna.framework.media.aspx
Unfortunately this doesn't help, because of the following (quoted from MSDN):
Xbox 360 Specific Information
Picture collections are not supported. This property always returns an empty collection.
:(
Strangely enough, picture collections aren't supported on Windows either, so it seems to be a Zune thing...
Doc

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A few comments:

Psychotext said:
Along Came A Spider (Platformer) - 400 points
I'm struggling to properly describe what this game is. It's a platformer, but the challenge really comes not from jumping, but from mastering swinging on the threads you can hook onto the edges of the platforms. Simple visuals, but really well done. I'd argue it's a little expensive for what it is, but then I haven't really got through a lot of it yet so I may be a little quick to judge.

The controls on this don't feel as tight as, say, PixelJunk Eden. I know the comparison isn't direct, but it's close enough and the price being $5, it makes a lot more sense to me to buy a $10 game that's much better. I skipped ACAS. For $1, I'd probably have bought it.

Banana Split (Platformer) - 80 points
One of the better platformers on Indie Games, and has a lot of character. It's a little unforgiving though, so don't expect it to be a cakewalk. Bright, colourful graphics, but the animation could have done with a little work. Great value at 80 points.

Skipped it initially, but I plan to double back and buy it with the new reduced price!

Cavemen Vs Aliens (Strategy) - 400 points
There's been a lot of effort put into the presentation on this game, which is always a good sign. Starts off simple, but gets tricky quickly as you find yourself trying to hold onto captured territory whilst simultaneously trying to move onwards. The controls are inspired, and once you're used to them you'll be concentrating 100% on your strategy rather than getting tied up with complex commands. Well worth a look.

The learning curve on this one was steep enough that by the end of my first trial I didn't feel in control and at 400 points, even with the excellent presentation I'm not apt to double back and check it out again.

Impossible Game (Platformer) - 80 points
Crazymental. Try and beat it... go on. I challenge you to retain your sanity. :) I could barely get anywhere in practice mode, let alone the normal mode.

This mostly boils down to muscle memory so I would assume for most people it's just a matter of brute-forcing it through repeated failure. I haven't finished it yet, but I can get at least 60-90 seconds in, which is not bad.

Johnny Platform Saves Xmas! (Platform) - 240 points
You should already know of Johnny Platform... and if you don't, go and try it, it's great. This is more Johnny Platform, but even better because the levels are now in widescreen rather than narrowvision. As such it's pretty much essential for any platformer fans.

The hilarious thing about this is that the game is like a fraction the size of the original Johnny Platformer, despite having tons more levels, higher quality assets, and widescreen presentation

Soul (Action) - 80 points
An extremely pretty game let down by the rather strange decision to try and shock / scare you every couple of minutes with a screamy horror scene (we've all seen the youtube videos of the same ilk). The main problem is that it stops being shocking after the first time and gets steadily more annoying from that point on. It also had me reaching for the mute button, which is a shame because some of the audio in the game is quite good. Supposedly this is being toned down in an update, time will tell. Very, very tricky... requires some extremely precise control of the thumbstick.

The screamy sequences really are stupid. Their frequency is too high. I might try it again with the update because I passed on buying the game for that reason. I like the "Souls sent to Heaven / Souls sent to Hell" counter on the main screen though.

qupe1975

Neo Member
Psychotext said:
Yeah, Wool would certainly have been improved by leaderboards... but the challenge of getting all of the sheep within the time limits was enough for me to have fun with it. (Rather than just getting enough to finish the level)

Wool does have world scores now that require gold membership

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Nice to see this thread bumped, I just want to post to enthuse whole-heartledly about how good Leave Home is. It's fucking awesome is what. I bought it after hearing it mentioned on Rebel FM last week and for a while there it was seriously jostling with ME2 for my most-played game.

It's a retro side-scrolling shooter, like a mix of Axelay, Geo Wars and Rez, but the USP is that it's a very short game (~4 mins) with dynamic difficulty. How hard you play determines how hard the game will become and whaat sorts of scores you can get. My first play I probably only got around 20,000 points - yesterday I finally broke 150,000 and felt like a fucking god. It ramps up from friendly-difficulty to OMGWTF bullet-hell within seconds, and the randomised levels always offer something new. On higher difficulties the levels are properly mental, with excessive waves of bullet-spewing enemies and geometry that is harder to navigate.

In all, this is the best 240 points I've ever spent on XBL. If you like shooters even a little you should buy this game.

Feep

Banned
Hey, everyone, a fellow GAFfer recommended Kickstarter to me as a way to raise funds for Sequence, and gave me a private invite that allowed me to do so. I'd like to pay it forward.

I have three invites to give out, so if you need a bit of funding and think Kickstarter would be a good way to do it, send me a PM with your E-mail address and I'll throw you an invite. If you have no idea what Kickstarter is, here's what it looks like: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jwishnov/sequence-a-rhythm-roleplaying-game. And yes, that was a slightly shameless plug, but. You know.

Anyway, just ask if you'd like an invite.

Anso

Anyone with a premium creator's club membership is urged to check out Kaleidoscope, now in peer review. Seems to move slow but we only need like 2-3 more passing votes (all pass thus far) to make it through. Thanks a lot!

Also, Leave Home is still the best game on XBLIG. Just saying.

JesseZao

Hey Spyn,

Just purchased my first indie game! Yet it seems the unlock code is bugged! I keep failing the last 1% of the full game DL after it kept failing to unlock it through the trial. It does seem to save my progress and it took my buck, but not sure what the deal is. I'll try deleting the save file next.

Great game though, well done!

Edit: Went back and just redownloaded the trial. Then queued the full game as well. Still failed on full game, but when I go to the trial now, it appears to be unlocked to full. So anyway, strange bug, but I'm glad it's working fine now :).

Anso said:
Anyone with a premium creator's club membership is urged to check out Kaleidoscope, now in peer review. Seems to move slow but we only need like 2-3 more passing votes (all pass thus far) to make it through. Thanks a lot!
I want to play this, so do as the man says!

N4Us

I tried the demo for Shooting Chicken Revenge and it was pretty fun. It's hard adjusting to the controls though.

Spyn Doctor

Neo Member
@JesseZao: Congratulations on buying your first Indie Game! Makes me proud that it was Your Doodles Are Bugged! that convinced you to finally join the in-crowd! :D
Your problem description sounds like a hiccup in the Xbox LIVE marketplace. The whole unlocking, downloading etc. is outside of my game. I have no control over it. But it seems to have resolved itself already anyway. Maybe the marketplace was a bit confused because roughly around the time you seemed to have downloaded, an update for YDAB! was deployed to the marketplace.

Doc

N4Us said:
I tried the demo for Shooting Chicken Revenge and it was pretty fun. It's hard adjusting to the controls though.
Is that as much like The Dishwasher as the screenshots/description make it seem?

Spyn Doctor said:
Maybe the marketplace was a bit confused because roughly around the time you seemed to have downloaded, an update for YDAB! was deployed to the marketplace.
Is that just bugfixes (lol) or is there owt new?

qupe1975

Neo Member
N4Us said:

I downloaded this and like dipping in and out of it. I would like to be able to turn down the sound of the chickens a bit but at present haven't found the option too.

It has good production values but it's highly repeptitive though, I haven't seen much variety in the 2 levels I have played. There is a level up system in the game and in that respect reminds me a bit of Twin Blades.

Twin Blades gets much better when you power up and if the rumoured enhancements happen I will be a happy man, the game, Twin Blades, game looks beautiful.

I'll post a proper opinion of Shooting Chicken Revenge when I have played more =)

Spyn Doctor

Neo Member
toythatkills said:
Is that just bugfixes (lol) or is there owt new?
It's "just" a bugfix. But an important fix (people were getting code-4s because of the highscore transfer that happens in the background) so I really recommend to update before you play next (the game should prompt that there's a new version on next start).

Doc

Anso

Spyn Doctor said:
It's "just" a bugfix. But an important fix (people were getting code-4s because of the highscore transfer that happens in the background) so I really recommend to update before you play next (the game should prompt that there's a new version on next start).

Doc

I guess that's my cue!

*goes to play YDAB!*

Is there a neogaf thread for talking with other indie developers about potential collaborations and such? Designer looking for programmer to work with on xna platformer... that sorta thing.

jetpacks was yes said:
Is there a neogaf thread for talking with other indie developers about potential collaborations and such? Designer looking for programmer to work with on xna platformer... that sorta thing.
Not currently, though there's been a fair bit of that in here.

Spyn Doctor

Neo Member
Hi all!

For those of you here who were struggling with the ink limits and uncooperative bugs in Your Doodles Are Bugged!, I made a video showing how I play through the whole doodle #8 "Divided, Yet Joined". That should allow you to copy some tricks from the master... :D

SPOILER ALERT: Don't view this if you want to solve doodle #8 on your own!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-kJ1ffuWzc

Doc

Anso

Spyn Doctor said:
Hi all!

For those of you here who were struggling with the ink limits and uncooperative bugs in Your Doodles Are Bugged!, I made a video showing how I play through the whole doodle #8 "Divided, Yet Joined". That should allow you to copy some tricks from the master... :D

SPOILER ALERT: Don't view this if you want to solve doodle #8 on your own!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-kJ1ffuWzc

Doc

Hehehe, nice, struggled with that one myself. Well worth it though, excellent game and my review is done. Hopefully on TIGSource soon, already on my personal site.

qupe1975

Neo Member
HadesGigas said:
Shellblast HD dropped from 400 to 80 points. Very much worth a look:

I agree with this. Played this years ago on the PC and liked it. It takes a while getting used to the controls but If you enjoy puzzle games I think you'll enjoy this.

I wonder how many people rated the game poorly because it cost 400 points before. Give it a trial and persevere with the controls.

Anso

KALEIDOSCOPE IS RELEASED!

xboxboxart.jpg

Since we're stressed out (didn't anticipate it today) I will give you no press release. Instead I'll improvise some text and give you some links. How 'bout that?

Kaleidoscope is a platformer. In this wonderful little platformer you play as Tint trying to bring color back to his desaturated homeworld Kaleidoscope. You jump, glide and float around the levels jumping on bad guys to color them in and make them friendly again. The music and levels are interactive and the more colors you collect, the music and and level gets "colored" in and progresses. It's set in four different worlds , a handful of levels in each, and it's positively adorable. Kaleidoscope was awarded 6th place in 2009's Dream Build Play and was showcased at PAX as part of the XNA booth. It's 240MS and we'd be thrilled if you'd try it out.

Here's the launch trailer (non-HD): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kR9qZMqR6I

and here's the marketplace page for trial download: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550444/

Veeeery cool! It looks amazing, sounds amazing, and the plaforming is great, the jumping feels really solid, really like it! There's a slight issue with getting caught on the corners of scenery, you can jump right off again but it's slightly weird... Still, it's really good stuff. One to buy!

I wish the trial was longer though, I want to play more but I don't know when I'll be able to restock my points :lol

Anso

toythatkills said:
Veeeery cool! It looks amazing, sounds amazing, and the plaforming is great, the jumping feels really solid, really like it! There's a slight issue with getting caught on the corners of scenery, you can jump right off again but it's slightly weird... Still, it's really good stuff. One to buy!

I wish the trial was longer though, I want to play more but I don't know when I'll be able to restock my points :lol

Will look into that and possibly patch it then! Thanks man :)

Anso said:
Will look into that and possibly patch it then! Thanks man :)
It's probably not a big enough problem to warrant a patch, even, just something I noticed!

Played also Nega which is not easy to explain. You have to direct a ball to a yellow box by placing other boxes down. When you place a box, the ball instantly heads in that direction. After a few seconds, the box you placed then turns black and is an obstacle which must be avoided. It's kinda like a variation on Snake, I guess. When you play, it makes sense. Needs global leaderboards, really, and a slightly slower cursor, but it's pretty cool.

Shooting Chicken -Revenge- which is utterly bizarre. The menu looks great though, and the music reminds me a lot of Mad Capsule Markets which is never bad but the game... Wtf! You just move left and right shooting, well, chickens, to rock music. You can pick up extra health, weapons, etc. It's alright, but I'm not really sure if there's any strategy as such for high scoring, I'm not good enough to find out. If there's a trick to it, the game's awesome, if there's not, it's just a bit mindless...

Kaleidoscope isn't bad. Not a fan of the music, (sorry Anso) and there's no option to turn it down or off. Also, it needs a sound effect for jumping and maybe even a pitter patter for running around.

Also, there's overscan, so an option to scale it would be nice for those of us still on component.

Still went ahead and bought it, because it's a great platformer and I love the colors and art style in general.

Anso said:
KALEIDOSCOPE IS RELEASED!

http://download.xbox.com/content/xna/assets/58550444_World/xboxboxart.jpg

Since we're stressed out (didn't anticipate it today) I will give you no press release. Instead I'll improvise some text and give you some links. How 'bout that?

Kaleidoscope is a platformer. In this wonderful little platformer you play as Tint trying to bring color back to his desaturated homeworld Kaleidoscope. You jump, glide and float around the levels jumping on bad guys to color them in and make them friendly again. The music and levels are interactive and the more colors you collect, the music and and level gets "colored" in and progresses. It's set in four different worlds , a handful of levels in each, and it's positively adorable. Kaleidoscope was awarded 6th place in 2009's Dream Build Play and was showcased at PAX as part of the XNA booth. It's 240MS and we'd be thrilled if you'd try it out.

Here's the launch trailer (non-HD): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kR9qZMqR6I

and here's the marketplace page for trial download: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550444/

Great concept, great style. The only problem I can find is that the collision detection seems a bit odd.

Good work, though!

Anso

LocoMrPollock said:
Kaleidoscope isn't bad. Not a fan of the music, (sorry Anso) and there's no option to turn it down or off. Also, it needs a sound effect for jumping and maybe even a pitter patter for running around.

Also, there's overscan, so an option to scale it would be nice for those of us still on component.

Still went ahead and bought it, because it's a great platformer and I love the colors and art style in general.

Forwarded to the programmer. We take all criticism to heart and when the chaos has declined we'll start working on a patch. Sorry you didn't like the music (I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU), we'll see what we can do about turning it off. Custom soundtracks work though, right?

Sega1991 said:
Great concept, great style. The only problem I can find is that the collision detection seems a bit odd.

Good work, though!

That's physics engine. It's not entirely accurate and we're constantly trying to tweak it more. Might be tighter for the next patch but we thought it worked pretty damn well as is. Thanks for the love :)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Thanks for all the ShellBlast support everyone! I made the original PC game and Ben Morris did an excellent job porting the game over to XNA...there's a ton of meat to the game, so please do check it out at this insane price. :)

Anso said:
we'll see what we can do about turning it off. Custom soundtracks work though, right?

Meh, music is starting to grow on me, maybe it was just too early in the morning before.

Anyway, just wanted to say that the game is really good. It's my favorite platformer on the service so far, and the family and girlfriend are enjoying it as well. Almost feel bad for only paying $3.

Anso

LocoMrPollock said:
Meh, music is starting to grow on me, maybe it was just too early in the morning before.

Anyway, just wanted to say that the game is really good. It's my favorite platformer on the service so far, and the family and girlfriend are enjoying it as well. Almost feel bad for only paying $3.

Great to hear you came around, I poured my heart and soul into that music ;)

We thought the $3 pricepoint would be fair. As a gamer myself I can get upset with the $5 that just plain aren't worth their asking price. It's ALWAYS better to offer more than your asking price indicates so people get pleasantly surprised. Who knows maybe this will bite us in the ass, as a DBP09 finalist we could easily have charged $5 but we love you guys :lol

Gowans

Checked out your game Anso.

It was a little sticky to get going, hung a little.

But the art style is charming, my favourite things are the golemns, love their system.

Really nice concept with the three different abilities and I hope the game makes use of them for some interesting platforming later on.

Completed the trial and will probably buy over the weekend (its cheap enough)

Constructive crit here, the trial is limited being the beginning of the game, very basic and doesn't really indicate any special unique play or features of the game to get people to buy apart from the style and polish you can see while playing.

Also wall jumping just didn't feel right, seemed like there was a bit of randomness to the physics, I don't know something random that kept the platforming from being as smooth as i'd like.

Anyway straight away you can see this is a charming little game, I just hope there is some more hooks to play it.

Anso

Gowans007 said:
Checked out your game Anso.

It was a little sticky to get going, hung a little.

But the art style is charming, my favourite things are the golemns, love their system.

Really nice concept with the three different abilities and I hope the game makes use of them for some interesting platforming later on.

Completed the trial and will probably buy over the weekend (its cheap enough)

Constructive crit here, the trial is limited being the beginning of the game, very basic and doesn't really indicate any special unique play or features of the game to get people to buy apart from the style and polish you can see while playing.

Also wall jumping just didn't feel right, seemed like there was a bit of randomness to the physics, I don't know something random that kept the platforming from being as smooth as i'd like.

Anyway straight away you can see this is a charming little game, I just hope there is some more hooks to play it.

Noted! We're taking it all to heart :)

chubigans said:
Thanks for all the ShellBlast support everyone! I made the original PC game and Ben Morris did an excellent job porting the game over to XNA...there's a ton of meat to the game, so please do check it out at this insane price. :)

Bought it. Always was considering it for $5, but for $1 it's a no brainer. Loved Acidbomb.

qupe1975

Neo Member
Has anyone played Cyborg Mice Areana?

The new update makes the game look better it has a fair few options (different views, you can adjust the areana lighting etc), things to unlock inculding different maps and a gallery. It reminds me a bit of Escape from the planet of the Robot Monsters but in a fixed areana. It's a good game, especially with the new update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybc6xWNmd58

Kaleidoscope is quite nice. There's a bit of collision oddness on the edges of platforms though - you can sort of get stuck. Nothing game breaking, but it is a bit untidy. Also, I liked the music. :)

Yeah i found the getting wedged into the edges of platforms in Kaleidoscope to be a bit annoying. Also the music seemed to mess up every once in a while like it's skipping or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom