• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zero Punctuation Thread

lazygecko

I've found myself more interested in his Let's Drown Out series lately where they play games in mundane ways for an hour while discussing the gaming news topics of the week.

Vlad

I've found myself more interested in his Let's Drown Out series lately where they play games in mundane ways for an hour while discussing the gaming news topics of the week.

Absolutely. While I've had to skip a few since they're games I haven't played yet that I still want to (Proteus, for one), I've really been enjoying them. It's nice to hear actual intelligent commentary without having to resort to screaming or stupid attempts at "humor".

Rufus

I think he used to co-host on Yatzhee's Let's Plays as well and I noticed the same thing there. I watched Let's Drown Out Quake (or Quake 2?) and it was the same thing there. Haven't bothered with any of the others yet. Maybe I'll just clench my fist and brave another episode, but I have enough other shit to watch and it's really off-putting for me. I hope it gets brought up in the comments though.

Mesoian

Absolutely. While I've had to skip a few since they're games I haven't played yet that I still want to (Proteus, for one), I've really been enjoying them. It's nice to hear actual intelligent commentary without having to resort to screaming or stupid attempts at "humor".

Word. And it's nice to hear people disagree about social issues without having things devolve into a screaming match.

Let's drown out has become my sunday video game playing podcast.

Vlad

Word. And it's nice to hear people disagree about social issues without having things devolve into a screaming match.

Let's drown out has become my sunday video game playing podcast.

See, I miss the days when they'd just do a podcast. I've tried just listening to Let's Drown Out while playing Minecraft or something, and I find myself constantly alt-tabbing back to the browser window and rewinding because they're commenting on something that happened in the video.

Mesoian

See, I miss the days when they'd just do a podcast. I've tried just listening to Let's Drown Out while playing Minecraft or something, and I find myself constantly alt-tabbing back to the browser window and rewinding because they're commenting on something that happened in the video.

While there is a visual element to the let's drown outs, I find the way they play video games during those things is pretty annoying to watch directly. When they get around to doing an actual "Let's deconstruct" I think it'll be different, but other than the Limbo one, I found myself getting bored/annoyed with their gameplay and just started playing something on my own.

explodet

Damn it Escapist, let me watch the video without having the multimedia ads drown out the sound! They'll just decide to play on the side because they felt like it. This happened 3 times!

Fuchsdh

Yeah, if you made this a crossplatform game I feel like he would have given a far different review... his attitude towards Microsoft seems to have him viewing the game through that prism, when I highly doubt Microsoft was doing much in the way of influencing the game.

daviyoung

Banned
Yeah, if you made this a crossplatform game I feel like he would have given a far different review... his attitude towards Microsoft seems to have him viewing the game through that prism, when I highly doubt Microsoft was doing much in the way of influencing the game.

I didn't hear that in the review at all

Purkake4

Banned
Seems to me he liked the gameplay and didn't like the gratuitous "humor" and edginess, neither of which has anything to do with the platform.

Funny because "trying too hard" is exactly why i wasn't intrested in this game in the first place.

yeah, that was kind of the 'vibe' I got from the E3 as well. Not surprised it turned out that way.
I was worried about the exact same thing, but the game completely clicked for me. Total surprise there. Most of it doesn't land like a comedy skit punchline, but I definitely appreciated the game keeping things light-hearted and moving.

The game is silly, and yeah, it wears that on its sleeve and painted on its face. But as it sets it sights on modern gaming and game development for a lot of its gags, its also a welcome dose of medicine for a lot of what plagues the hobby these days.

Purkake4

Banned
But it's put in this term of "this is what Microsoft suits think the young kids like".
Yeah, the focus on old men in suits thinking of what kids these days would like, not the Microsoft bit, that's just there because the choice of suits for this particular game is limited.

jimi_dini

AssCreed Unity

BOOM

aFwj8n3.jpg

Top Bottom