• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zero Punctuation Thread

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Not sure what to talk about with his reviews lol
Each individual review doesn't have that much to say, but I've been putting some thoughts together for a while about Yahtzee and how I think he's both underrated and mischaracterized by people who see him as a joke, up to and including him having a larger influence on games media in general when he first launched. Not sure where those thoughts will go though

I know personally that, while I couldn't articulate it at the time, my first exposure to his stuff was some of the first actual game criticism and even media criticism (as distinct from consumer reviews) that I encountered, and it was a transformative

Fawoosh

Banned
I haven't played FC4 but most likely will in the near future as I really enjoyed 2 and 3. So 3 didn't have a great story, but it was enough to keep you going. It sounds like that's missing in this one. But it's just as fun to play, right?

Fawoosh

Banned
Not sure what to talk about with his reviews lol

I know what you mean, there's rarely anything to be said after. I think that's because he's so concise. Yeah he throws in odd jokes and analogies, but he really does get the point accross and covers pretty much all bases.

The only time I ever really have conversations or discussions about his reviews are when someone else really disagrees with him. And they're almost always Nintendo fans.

Sushi Nao

Can't even get into Yahtzee's stuff anymore since he got drunk and went full-on GG ranting about social justice warriors on Let's Drown Out. I get that he's always been a bit misogynistic, figured it was part of his schtick, but that was a bit much.

I get that liberal censure is an issue, but there are way more nuanced ways to have that discussion than just flailing at "SJW's".

Naminator

Banned
Can't even get into Yahtzee's stuff anymore since he got drunk and went full-on GG ranting about social justice warriors on Let's Drown Out. I get that he's always been a bit misogynistic, figured it was part of his schtick, but that was a bit much.

I get that liberal censure is an issue, but there are way more nuanced ways to have that discussion than just flailing at "SJW's".

LMAO, what?

I always picture people like you as Oprah but instead giving away cars you give away the misogynist labels, it makes it less depressing.

Sushi Nao

LMAO, what?

I always picture people like you as Oprah but instead giving away cars you give away the misogynist labels, it makes it less depressing.

Nah, man. I don't think it's controversial to say that his "sexually frustrated nerd that occasionally makes over-the-top annoyed comments about women as an obvious consequence of the aforementioned frustration" schtick exists, and was actually weirdly charming. He kinda bought into it a bit too much, though.

I think he's a really sharp guy, he's just bypassing the nuance in this discussion far too quickly. He should give it some more thought. Maybe he will, and maybe I'll get back into him.

jimi_dini

Let's Drown out... Leisure Suit Larry 3 (Part 1)

hahaha he
didn't lock the locker

Second part up now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_nSi6grWyQ

IPhdQ7b.gif

#dead

BOTEC

lol at
"We spend more time knocking poo around than the Consumer Reviews section of Anal Sex monthly."

He needed more practice with the parkour though. It works damn well in Dying Light.

A welcome return to form for Yahtzee. It felt like the jokes in the last few videos were a little forced. I especially liked the follow-up about
the contortionist trying to see who's giving it to them doggy-style.

jimi_dini

On the other hand, Lucasarts adventures aged really well.

There are quite a few Sierra adventures, that aged really well as well.

For example Quest for Glory series. Gabriel Knight of course. King's Quest 6. I would even say King's Quest 4. Leisure Suit Larry 5 + 6 too.
And Colonel's Bequest is like the best open world adventure game - ever made.

Haha
"After Mirror's Edge I was convinced that parcour from a first person perspective just couldn't possibly work, but Dying Light has shown that I was completely
RIGHT
about that"

"Like hitting a Piñata with a live cat"

#dead

exactly my opinion about Mirror's Edge.

Dead Island 2 developed by Yaeger? Now they got my attention.

ghostjoke

Banned
Oh if anyone didn't see it, yahtzee did a video of a playthrough of his own adventure games he made when he was a teen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlELK_3dGm0

Didn't know he had tried his hand at adventure games.

The "X Days a Y" / Chzo Mythos series are well worth playing if you're a fan of Silent Hill atmosphere and adventure games. They're a lot more polished than the games they've gone over on youtube so far and have pretty interesting story too.

Top Bottom