• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There’s no arrogance like Sony arrogance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roll up, roll up, place yer bets on when this thread will get locked. I've got best odds in the market for "between 100 and 200 posts" folks. Step right up, we take Reddit karma, Microsoft Gamerscore and Bitcoins. Place yer bets now!

Have all systems, love my ps3 the most BY FAR, and their PR was absolutely horrendous. The PR Statements made their downfall humorous to watch. I mean, how could they say all of those things they did.....

Zenaku

I came in expecting Tretton's quote about Nintendo handhelds on a plane, only to search google and find he made the same statement in 2011 (at least, I'm pretty certain he made the same comment at least several years ealier).

Trash talk other companies all you want, but don't insult the players.

ASIS

sony_whiteiscoming_ad_large.jpg

I'm not one to look for controversial discussions. But I can't believe Sony actually made something like this. This is actually racist! And it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread!!

ED Cantu

I had already forgotten about most of these quotes, yeah normal PR practices from Sony.
My favorite is the "4D" one.

Roll up, roll up, place yer bets on when this thread will get locked. I've got best odds in the market for "between 100 and 200 posts" folks. Step right up, we take Reddit karma, Microsoft Gamerscore and Bitcoins. Place yer bets now!

Thread won't be locked. I believe in the GAF moderation team to let the truth be told.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Sony has certainly been really arrogant in the past few years, but Nintendo has been pretty arrogant at times when they've been at the top. However, I don't think I've see any of Nintendo or Microsoft's PR being as bad as Sony's has been lately.

You call this arrogance? *Yamauchi Laughs*
Seriously, go read Game Over - How Nintendo Took Over The World.

Don't forget the price fixing Nintendo did: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2375967.stm

All 3 companies have blood on their hands (yes even Sony). If Mama Robotnik is truly reasonable, then he will admit that even Nintendo fucked up in the past.

Would surprise me if he doesn't make excuses for Nintendo fucking up the market.

ZeroGravity

There's certainly a level of arrogance from the other two as well, especially Nintendo in the past, but they've at least shown an ability to learn and change. Sony hasn't, and it's no real surprise it came to finally bite them in the ass this generation.

stuart

Banned
Wow, that is some horrendous PR from Sony.

Refreshing that Nintendo are pretty humble about their products, they let their games do the talking.

All three of the big companies are arrogant as fuck and crooked with a lot of shit.

...I don't even think that's racist...it's just...why would you?....

Because we're still talking about it years afterwards. Some of Sony's most succesful advertising.

Wow, that is some horrendous PR from Sony.

Refreshing that Nintendo are pretty humble about their products, they let their games do the talking.

Is that why they started all their E3 conferences when they were on top with spreadsheet masturbation?

Labadal

Having had a great success with the PS2, I don't think it's strange that they came into this generation with some arrogance. Them completely messing up is another question.

wrowa

I really wish that this thread won't become a fanboy war fest. It probably will, but I think there's enough potential here to look at these statements level-headed.

My personal favorite is this one btw:
”With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick.” – (Phil Harrison, 2005)

Looking back at it 7 years later, it's hard not to be amused by it. Handhelds, smartphones, tablets. The future speaks touch-screen -- it's probably the most important input device since the invention of the pc mouse.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So is this some out of nowhere thing or what is your point Mama? I know what you mean but why are you culling and dwelling on this old stuff?? PR doesn't make the games worse. Isn't that what matters in the end? Not sure what you're shooting for :p

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Somebody has way way too much free time on their hands.

No kidding, why would anyone spend so much time unless they are on the clock. Hope there is some MS money for all the hard work.

All 3 companies have blood on their hands (yes even Sony). If Mama Robotnik is truly reasonable, then he will admit that even Nintendo fucked up in the past.

Would surprise me if he doesn't make excuses for Nintendo fucking up the market.

Not that I should have to say this, but I own a PS3, 360, Wii, DSiXL and (newly) PSP and love all of them. I have no problems with admitting Nintendo's own catastrophes, most recently their defense of region-blocking leaving me fuming, especially as they arrogantly tried to describe it as somehow being beneficial for the consumer.

Not to mention MS's legendary "things break", which is probably worse in context as an individual quote, than any of the individual quotes I have listed.

But collectively, from many different execs and roles, Sony's arrogance as shown in these quotes is, I believe, incomparable. That's what I have tried to evidence, feel free to disagree of course.

thuway

There's certainly a level of arrogance from the other two as well, especially Nintendo in the past, but they've at least shown an ability to learn and change. Sony hasn't, and it's no real surprise it came to finally bite them in the ass this generation.

Are yo u kidding? Sony has changed significantly from the past. Yoshida is the MAN.

Thoraxes

At first I was like, oh, this is gonna be like 5 quotes, it's not that bad...

And then the list just kept going, and going, and going...

Emitan

I still think some of the stuff Yamauchi said tops this. Especially when he said consumers don't want online. Why? Because you said so?

But yeah, Sony be crazy.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I am not here to defend Sony, but this mock thread can also be applied to MS and Nintendo.

Can't say I've ever heard any Nintendo or MS reps say anything quite as awful as the insane shit Sony were spewing around the time of the PS3 launch. MS and Nintendo have generally been more arrogant in the sense that they abused their near-monopolistic market share (although both have gotten bitchslapped by the EU for various reasons).

Not that I should have to say this, but I own a PS3, 360, Wii, DSiXL and (newly) PSP and love all of them. I have no problems with admitting Nintendo's own catastrophes, most recently their defense of region-blocking leaving me fuming, especially as they arrogantly tried to describe it as somehow being beneficial for the consumer.

That's all I needed to read, you are fairly reasonable. :) Sony's definitely the most arrogant, yeah. I wish they'd pipe down sometimes on those stupid statements and advertise their games/handhelds. :\

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Company says it's better than its competitors, competitors suck, and praises its own products. This is shocking, shocking stuff.

wrowa

So is this some out of nowhere thing or what is your point Mama? I know what you mean but why are you culling and dwelling on this old stuff?? PR doesn't make the games worse. Isn't that what matters in the end? Not sure what you're shooting for :p

He's not claiming that it makes Sony's games or hardware worse. Sometimes looking back at the past can simply be a fun thing to do. Without having somekind of a malicious hidden agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom