• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are 802 Pokemon.

Kyuur

Keep 'em coming I say. More local forms too!

802 Pokemon and I've only ever caught 2 shinies... A shiny Butterfree in Gold and a Unown I in Crystal...

In Sun/Moon both me and my fiancee found a shiny Fearow in our games.

We don't even fucking like Fearow.

The grind involved with shinies and breeding are reminiscent of shitty freemium games and I wish they would just fuck off. Wouldn't surprise me if they eventually try to monetize it.
In s/m you can watch how people grind out their breeding shit by running loops in a pen. Its actual insanity.

this is not gameplay

PSFan

I view this as the primary issue with modern Pokemon games.

"Collecting them all" was an obsession, the primary driver in Gen's 1 and 2. After that, it became infeasible.

Infeasible? Not at all. I've caught em all, and made a living Pokedex in all games of every gen except Sun/Moon because they put the National Dex behind a paywall.

Exploring all the different ways to obtain Pokemon in all the games gives me the most fun and enjoyment in the games.

Aleh

Love them all, except Sawk and Throw. Man what are those two abominations.

The grind involved with shinies and breeding are reminiscent of shitty freemium games and I wish they would just fuck off. Wouldn't surprise me if they eventually try to monetize it.
In s/m you can watch how people grind out their breeding shit by running loops in a pen. Its actual insanity.

It's supposed to be something rare that makes you go WOAH when you encounter one naturally, I'd hate for them to make it even easier. And they will never monetize it.

Gotta catch them all, no I'm not

PS: Stopped caring after the first gen

Yeah, It's way too much fucking work trying to catch them shits after Gen 1. I tried in Blaze Black 2 and even after I beat the post game I still was nowhere near close catching all them motherfuckers. You got to be damn crazy to do that shit.

Love them all, except Sawk and Throw. Man what are those two abominations.

It's supposed to be something rare that makes you go WOAH when you encounter one naturally, I'd hate for them to make it even easier. And they will never monetize it.

I mean i did go WHOA, as in whoa thats an ugly palette swap :)
people spend countless hours doing this menial gameplay loop to get some of the gaudiest bragging rights in a videogame. Apart from stuff like umbreon where its just a different accent and not a bastardization.

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah, It's way too much fucking work trying to catch them shits after Gen 1. I tried in Blaze Black 2 and even after I beat the post game I still was nowhere near close catching all them motherfuckers. You got to be damn crazy to do that shit.

Same lol

But despite my apathy, it'd be weird if they stopped making new Pokemon altogether. Also I'm getting older, for all I know, kids may have no qualms about collecting so many. They'd definitely have more free time, that's for sure.

Hopefully once they reach 1,001 they'll stop and take the time to focus and improve other elements of the games. Since I'm a pretty big fan of the spinoffs, I don't think "new Pokémon" is a 100% essential element of a successful Pokémon game, and in many ways, I think the pressure to create a bunch of entirely new Pokémon every gen diverts the attention from improving other things (story, atmosphere, environments, gameplay elements, etc.)

Mael

Is there a legit way of being able to catch 'em all into one cartridge? Even if it involves trading from GBA all the way to 3DS games?

Hacking doesn't count.

If it was 2016, you really only needed XY/ORAS/SunMoon with all the giveaway they did.
Seriously you can ignore anything prior to Gen VI and you'd be able to get all the non mythical pokemons.
So basically a 3DS and 6 games (or 3 if you wanna do wondertrade).

Comandr

Series needs a reboot

He's not wrong. I would like the whole series to be completely reimagined.

Sun/Moon felt like a small step in the right direction. It was a very welcome respite from GYM LEADER X GET ALL THE BADGES ELITE 4 HERO. Though still a little too close to the formula for my personal tastes.

What does Pokémon mean to people? What do they want to get out of it? To be the strongest trainer? To have a breeder with perfect Pokémon? Maybe they just want to explore the world with a pal.

I would like to see a much more open ended Pokémon game where the goal/bar isn't to simply crush everyone you come across.

Pokémon as it stands now has a very linear path from start to finish. You follow the route, get progressively stronger, fight opponents that are more or less your level unless you grind, and then you reach the end and wow you're the strongest somehow and no one will ever beat you and gee you did all of this in three days wow.

I would love a future Pokémon game to cast off old conventions. An open world where you could just go where ever you want from the start. You'll run into strong Pokémon in certain places so you'd have to be careful, but the world is your
Cl
oyster. Since S/M has officially killed HMs, you're no longer chained to convention and can do whatever the hell you want. Gary didn't need to be given a ride Pokémon from some arbitrary gatekeeper. He just got on his Spearow and flew. I never thought I'd say this, but in short, BotW it. BotW is a verb now.

this is not gameplay

I remember doing this. This was horrible. While I don't think
(hope)
they'll monetize this sort of thing in the future, I could easily imagine in a future Pokémon title you could do something like... Link your MyNintendo account to the game and if you are also playing [X FREEMIUM POKEMON APP] then you can import certain special bonuses or items that would help you in your shiny quest. wink wink.

Fj0823

So I haven't played a single Pokemon since Red.

Is there some kind of system to transfer the ones you have caught from previous generations?

DAAAAAAAAAAAMN

Yes, you can even Transfer your Red Pokemon if you play the Digital Version of Pokemon Red.

He's not wrong. I would like the whole series to be completely reimagined.

Sun/Moon felt like a small step in the right direction. It was a very welcome respite from GYM LEADER X GET ALL THE BADGES ELITE 4 HERO. Though still a little too close to the formula for my personal tastes.

What does Pokémon mean to people? What do they want to get out of it? To be the strongest trainer? To have a breeder with perfect Pokémon? Maybe they just want to explore the world with a pal.

I would like to see a much more open ended Pokémon game where the goal/bar isn't to simply crush everyone you come across.

Pokémon as it stands now has a very linear path from start to finish. You follow the route, get progressively stronger, fight opponents that are more or less your level unless you grind, and then you reach the end and wow you're the strongest somehow and no one will ever beat you and gee you did all of this in three days wow.

I would love a future Pokémon game to cast off old conventions. An open world where you could just go where ever you want from the start. You'll run into strong Pokémon in certain places so you'd have to be careful, but the world is your
Cl
oyster. Since S/M has officially killed HMs, you're no longer chained to convention and can do whatever the hell you want. Gary didn't need to be given a ride Pokémon from some arbitrary gatekeeper. He just got on his Spearow and flew. I never thought I'd say this, but in short, BotW it. BotW is a verb now.

I remember doing this. This was horrible. While I don't think
(hope)
they'll monetize this sort of thing in the future, I could easily imagine in a future Pokémon title you could do something like... Link your MyNintendo account to the game and if you are also playing [X FREEMIUM POKEMON APP] then you can import certain special bonuses or items that would help you in your shiny quest. wink wink.

Nintendo seem to embrace DLC now. Pokemon GO I never got into but did watch a friend paying real money for items that speed up encounter/catch rates or something, which made me think that its the perfect kind of game to exploit.

and then we will get loot boxes with clothing, poses and hairstyles for your player character :)

jwhit28

It still doesn't feel like that many when playing the games. I would love for the next game to include as many as possible. I want a different 1 of 10 different rodents and birds to pop up on my first route each battle.

It's really easy to catch em all. I did it all early last year finishing up my living dex.
Really, all you need are the games on 3DS and GTS.

I used X, OR, and Sun and pretty much finished up wih trading online.

Griss

Black / White had the right idea with the 150 new pokemon only during the main quest. I'd love to see that.

Sun / Moon, on the other hand, was bizarrely stingy with new pokemon and had really poor diversity, especially if you were playing at the same time of day each day.

But 'catching them all' is no fun when it's 802 monsters. That's why the regional dexes they've implemented were a great idea.

I view this as the primary issue with modern Pokemon games.

"Collecting them all" was an obsession, the primary driver in Gen's 1 and 2. After that, it became infeasible.

This sounds like your issue, not the game's. Gamefreak has very clearly positioned multiplayer battles as the main focus. Simply catching them all for the sake of it hasn't bee pushed since, as you stated, earlier titles

I'm ok with this. They're doing a decent job making most of them available on current hardware and I've yet to see a pokemon and just think "no." I kind of don't want them to stop. Pokemon basically replace animals in their world, and they really flesh it out, even if the world itself could use some more attention to detail, imo.

Dishwalla

Banned
I mean there are millions upon millions of animals out there, in contrast to only 800 Pokemon. They have a long way to go.

802 Pokemon and still the vast vast majority of them are extremely well-designed. It's an impressive feat to be sure.

Also just to brag a little bit, I have a complete living Pokedex~ So "catching them all" isn't really all THAT infeasible, though SM not even having entries for most of the Pokemon is a bit discouraging on that front.

Jimm

Black / White had the right idea with the 150 new pokemon only during the main quest. I'd love to see that.

Sun / Moon, on the other hand, was bizarrely stingy with new pokemon and had really poor diversity, especially if you were playing at the same time of day each day.

But 'catching them all' is no fun when it's 802 monsters. That's why the regional dexes they've implemented were a great idea.

I love both games but fully agree with both points. Black and White was awesome because I never knew what Pokemon was going to pop up next.

The parallel universe thing still amazes me.

that shit reads like an awful fanfic, down to the human/pokemon fusion sephiroth boss
Alola looked like a return to a more quaint pokemon environment but ended up going full stargate.

Even worse, the world where all this crazy shit was happening in didnt seem to leave much (any?) of an impression on any of the npcs who saw it.

This sounds like your issue, not the game's. Gamefreak has very clearly positioned multiplayer battles as the main focus. Simply catching them all for the sake of it hasn't bee pushed since, as you stated, earlier titles

If that were the case why do 2v2's run like a slideshow?

that shit reads like an awful fanfic, down to the human/pokemon fusion sephiroth boss
Alola looked like a return to a more quaint pokemon environment but ended up going full stargate.

Even worse, the world where all this crazy shit was happening in didnt seem to leave much (any?) of an impression on any of the npcs who saw it.
What annoyed me most was that place being just a hallway when in the past we had areas like this...
tornworld2.png

SM just drops the ball. :/

It just amazes me. Never thought that things like parallel universes and alternate worlds would be in my Pokemon games. Still trying to process my feelings about it but oh well.

But hey you never know what happens next!

What exactly would be a 'reboot' then? Gen 1 was already remade...

Trim the fat. Re-do the typings. I would say don't mess with handheld iterations but for console game start over from square 1.

I still don't know what "GRASS" type is even supposed to mean. How is something a "FIRE" type. What does it all mean!?

I just had to look up what you guys are talking about.

So now there's parallel universes and split timelines in Pokemon? Jesus Christ.

I mean there is a poke-pantheon too. Have we had time travel yet?

What annoyed me most was that place being just a hallway when in the past we had areas like this...

SM just drops the ball. :/

lol, yeah but what a hallway it was

What exactly would be a 'reboot' then? Gen 1 was already remade...

reboot would imply starting from scratch and overhauling all of the conventions.
having trials instead of gyms isnt really what id call an overhaul when the majority of the game is still very similar

SalvaPot

The closest to a reboot would be Black/White that had 150 brand new Pokémon.

Honestly a reboot as is would be starting from scratch and removing all the pokemon that already exist.

an-award-designed-to-praise-long-time-po.png

A Pokemon traveling from Ruby all the way up to Sun goes through time and space to reach you.
Yeah, we've had time travel since DP (?).

Delio

The closest to a reboot would be Black/White that had 150 brand new Pokémon.

Honestly a reboot as is would be starting from scratch and removing all the pokemon that already exist.

Yeah when i hear reboot thats what i guess they are getting at. Or start from the original batch of Pokemon. I wouldnt really like that tho.

Trim the fat. Re-do the typings. I would say don't mess with handheld iterations but for console game start over from square 1.

I still don't know what "GRASS" type is even supposed to mean. How is something a "FIRE" type. What does it all mean!?

Its very obvious what it means. I do think they should rename it PLANT type but its not hard, kids understand it.

If that were the case why do 2v2's run like a slideshow?

Because performance is completely independent of focus and features. Look at all the additions made between gens. Yeah a lot have gone into increasing catching and trading mechanics, but the vast majority have been into the battle system, breeding, and raising pokemon.

an-award-designed-to-praise-long-time-po.png

A Pokemon traveling from Ruby all the way up to Sun goes through time and space to reach you.
Yeah, we've had time travel since DP (?).

I mean Celebit exists.
I meant more of a gameplay mechanic/world building kind of like Ocarina of Time tho

Because performance is completely independent of focus and features. Look at all the additions made between gens. Yeah a lot have gone into increasing catching and trading mechanics, but the vast majority have been into the battle system, breeding, and raising pokemon.

was the festival plaza part of their multiplayer focus?

First gen was best, after the fourth gen they started to introduce shittier once more frequently. Last I saw there was an actual ice popsicle Pokemon and a fucking sand castle Pokemon.

Top Bottom