• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are 802 Pokemon.

It's gotten to the point where each area of a new game can be wonderfully varied. SuMo lets you catch dragons on the first island, because there's enough Pokemon that that doesn't break the game or deprive you of awesome Pokemon later.

It's great. Much better than every other area being home to Graveler.

Fj0823

First gen was best, after the fourth gen they started to introduce shittier once more frequently. Last I saw there was an actual ice popsicle Pokemon and a fucking sand castle Pokemon.

Don't mess with Palossand

"Palossand loves the vitality of Pokémon and drags small Pokémon into its body so it can steal their life force. Its sandy vortex swallows them up in a heartbeat!"

pokemon-770x562-palossand.jpg

was the festival plaza part of their multiplayer focus?

I'm not sure where you'e going with this or why you can't seem to disentangle performance and features/focus. So far you've posted a sum total of ZERO reasons or justification for why you don't believe multiplayer and battles are the main focus and catching is, probably because you can't

It'll definitely reach 1,000. The question is when. Each generation lately seems to be getting smaller and smaller. They seem to be artificially shortening the amount added each generation to prevent having such a large number.

Its really inevitable though. And i'm all for it, never can have enough Pokemon and I can name them all!

Xadjim

Banned
Pokemon got boring to me since they started making it easier, talk too much and enabling online features without a working anti cheating system.

I will come back as soon as they fix these problems.

Don't mess with Palossand

its like they knew the design was uninspired so they had to include pikachu

I'm not sure where you'e going with this or why you can't seem to disentangle performance and features/focus. So far you've posted a sum total of ZERO reasons or justification for why you don't believe multiplayer and battles are the main focus and catching is, probably because you can't

Framerate and accessibility are terrible in s/m, which seems to me like they didnt focus so much on multiplayer as much as they wanted new mechanics in general.
There was more effort put into cutscenes than any significant multiplayer addition.

Delio

First gen was best, after the fourth gen they started to introduce shittier once more frequently. Last I saw there was an actual ice popsicle Pokemon and a fucking sand castle Pokemon.

I just..dont see how Pallosand is more crazy than Muk and i love both of them.

its like they knew the design was uninspired so they had to include pikachu

Framerate and accessibility are terrible in s/m, which seems to me like they didnt focus so much on multiplayer as much as they wanted new mechanics in general.
There was more effort put into cutscenes than any significant multiplayer addition.
That's not even Pallosand's usual form. It's just art of it sucking a Pokemon into it's trap.

you had a similar concept but more inspired with Rotom

I do prefer Rotom, yeah, that's the best iteration of a possessive ghost, but the idea of a possessed sandcastle that's formed as such to lure in children and Pokemon to eat their souls is brilliantly dark, as Pokemon often is.

I do prefer Rotom, yeah, that's the best iteration of a possessive ghost, but the idea of a possessed sandcastle that's formed as such to lure in children and Pokemon to eat their souls is brilliantly dark, as Pokemon often is.

often laughably so
palossand has a bunch of corpses inside it etc , but they want you to also believe that pokemon battles are the worlds main pastime and totally not abusive even though half the time they're said to tear other pokemon apart casually.

That doesn't really have anything to do with if the design is good or not.

didnt say it did
im just not a fan of his work

often laughably so
palossand has a bunch of corpses inside it etc , but they want you to also believe that pokemon battles are the worlds main pastime and totally not abusive even though half the time they're said to tear other pokemon apart casually.

In the wild. In the wild, Pokemon care for themselves, and so Pidgeotto will eat Magikarp, Sableye will eat Carbink, Mareanie will eat Corsola. But trained Pokemon are fed prepared food and are tamed to incapacitate, not kill or consume, other Pokemon. Simple logic easily construed by the nature of Pokemon battles vs the described habits of wild Pokemon.

But also: don't think about it too hard.

The series went downhill after Rhydon
Nah, went downhill after they changed the name to "Pocket"
Capsule_Monsters_Cover.jpg

Seriously though, I'm always amazed when the quality of Pokemon designs still holds up after all these years. Gen 7 was unbelievably strong and I was shocked how the good designs kept coming with those monthly reveal spams last year.
...just wish they had all been a little bit, you know, above base 60 speed.

Nah, went downhill after they changed the name to "Pocket"
Capsule_Monsters_Cover.jpg

Seriously though, I'm always amazed when the quality of Pokemon designs still holds up after all these years. Gen 7 was unbelievably strong and I was shocked how the good designs kept coming with those monthly reveal spams last year.
...just wish they had all been a little bit, you know, above base 60 speed.

The speed issue with Gen 7 still baffles me. Why is Vikavolt so slow??? It literally contradicts the Pokemon.

In the wild. In the wild, Pokemon care for themselves, and so Pidgeotto will eat Magikarp, Sableye will eat Carbink, Mareanie will eat Corsola. But trained Pokemon are fed prepared food and are tamed to incapacitate, not kill or consume, other Pokemon. Simple logic easily construed by the nature of Pokemon battles vs the described habits of wild Pokemon.

But also: don't think about it too hard.

I mean thats quite a handwave when theyre literally fighting their natural enemies, or some that exist purely out of spite etc :)
even if battles are 100% fine, you still go out of your way to start brawls with wild pokemon

it works as a cartoony game, but it sometimes takes itself seriously and falls apart very quickly
Like I read the manga up until Giovani starts killing pokemon, and it made me think, if they can be insta killed and gibbed why would the world revolve around this sport? it definitely becomes something a sociopath would enjoy

Forkball

Although "Gotta Catch 'Em All!" was an iconic slogan earlier in the series, they dropped it a long time ago. I assume because catching them all became difficult, or at least immensely time-consuming. Especially in Gen III where you could not transfer your GB Pokemon over, and RS only had about half the Pokemon available to capture. They didn't really push catching all the Pokemon again until Sun and Moon with the Alolan forms and the updated Pokedex features.

Also I have no idea if Japan ever had a slogan similar to "Gotta Catch 'Em All." Collecting all the Pokemon is just one OPTIONAL activity you could engage in.

DrkSage

With every new Gen the Pokemon get shittier.

Not all Pokémon tho. There are some cool Pokémon designs in gen IV and forward. Of course there are also designs that make you think "this guys are running out of Pokémon ideas" like this two questionable designs:
250px-584Vanilluxe.png

250px-569Garbodor.png

Op, with 802 pokemon there are 362,720,721,781,320
Team combinations

LotusHD

Banned
No. Those are all acceptable designs. They fit the aesthetic.

A fucking popsicle does not. A sand castle does not. Stop defending mediocrity.

Calm down lol, it's all subjective in the end. I'm indifferent towards the ice cream one, while the sandcastle one is rather cool. At the end of the day, each gen has its Pokemon that are easy to criticize.

you haven't actually explained how those designs constitute mediocrity or how they 'don't fit the asthetic'

you just keep saying they're mediocre

why?

"because popsicle"

"because sand castle"

same shit, different day

How does a game that takes place at islands known for their beautiful beaches where people make sand castles doesn't fit the aesthetic? Also I'm pretty sure there isn't a popsicle pokemon.

Fj0823

How does a game that takes place at islands known for their beautiful beaches where people make sand castles doesn't fit the aesthetic? Also I'm pretty sure there isn't a popsicle pokemon.

He's referring to Vanillite, Vanillish and Vanilluxe, which are Icicles covered in snow shaped like I've Cream cones

DrkSage

you haven't actually explained how those designs constitute mediocrity or how they 'don't fit the asthetic'

you just keep saying they're mediocre

why?

"because popsicle"

"because sand castle"

same shit, different day

Maybe it's because there's not a lot of thought put into them? Like I said earlier there are a few questionable designs. although palossand is great, don't see nothing wrong with him.

Yiazmat

Not all Pokémon tho. There are some cool Pokémon designs in gen IV and forward. Of course there are also designs that make you think "this guys are running out of Pokémon ideas" like this two questionable designs:
250px-584Vanilluxe.png

250px-569Garbodor.png

Those are terrible but still not as bad as this entire sequence of evolutions:

ED2RytZ.jpg

LotusHD

Banned
Maybe it's because there's not a lot of thought put into them? Like I said earlier there are a few questionable designs. although palossand is great, don't see nothing wrong with him.

Well again, some would argue that previous gens all have their own questionable/mediocre designs, including Gen 1. Regardless, Gen 7 ain't really the gen to be saying this about. It has a ton of Pokemon that were well thought out, like Lurantis for example.

Maybe it's because there's not a lot of thought put into them?

and what's your basis for thinking that?

because I've heard that a lot. in reference to a lot of Pokemon. and that specific criticism is so often just a reflection of that poster's kneejerk feelings toward a design, and nothing more. people will say, 'boy, that's a lazy design' or 'boy, that's uninspired' without qualifying that shit, even in reference to designs that are genuinely clever, or even based on real life creatures that poster simply didn't recognize.

Top Bottom