• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TheSrb2DUDE: Splatoon 2- Motion controld vs sticks?

Crayolan

He's right, but there's no need to yell at people to switch to gyro. It's totally possible to do well with stick controls, it's just harder. If people want to handicap themselves, let them.

Vidal

I tried for a whole day and I could not get used to the motion controls, it just didn't work.

But, the moment I started using the sticks only...

3b2.jpg

Mr_Moogle

Initially I hated the gyro controls in Splatoon 2 but I'm using them now and starting to get a feel for it. I still think it will take a while for me to master properly though. I can't snap onto targets the way the guy in the OP can.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
About this guys name... is it on any way related to Sonic Robo Blast 2?
Dont know, but he is or at least was a big sonic fan
His channel use to do a lot of stuff with sonic before he went competitive with splatoon and started uploading vids having to do with it

Sophia

Gyro aiming gives you aim correction (or what he calls "snapping onto") that isn't possible with traditional sticks. It's the open secret of the Steam Controller, and it was fantastic in Splatoon 1 as well despite the unwieldy nature of the gamepad. No surprise it's superior here.

Mechazawa

Couldn't fuck with the motions controls and went back to analog.

They should've done it right ala Steam Controller and let you use motion while aiming up and down.

Chauzu

I tried for a whole day and I could not get used to the motion controls, it just didn't work.

From the image it looks like you took a lot of splatting, no motion controllers confirmed.
/s

I still believe that motion control in this game is not "so much better" just because it's motion control but because the stick control in this game is quite awful in comparison to many many other console games.
It always feels off and imprecisely.

derFeef

Motion controls are fine and to some degree better. I just wish they would not lock out the vertical stick movement.

Gyro aiming gives you aim correction (or what he calls "snapping onto") that isn't possible with traditional sticks. It's the open secret of the Steam Controller, and it was fantastic in Splatoon 1 as well despite the unwieldy nature of the gamepad. No surprise it's superior here.

It would totally be that way and I love the SC for that, but again... do not lock out stick aiming on one axis.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Motion works so well in Splatoon, moving around with the Pro Controller is a pleasure in itself.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I tried playing without motion controls and I just couldn't do it, even in handheld mode. My brain won't let me go back. It feels so cumbersome, I just didn't feel comfortable aiming and moving at the same time, using the cursor to long-jump, it was just wrong. I didn't feel fully in control.

I'm sure those used to twin stick controls will find it totally fine but if you've mastered the motion controls you can never go back.

RexFury

I would really like to give motion controls a fair chance but I get motion sickness when using it. It is a shame because I am starting to get a bit more competitive in the game.

Duffk1ng

Every time I think the motion controls maybe aren't working for me I try without for about 5 seconds and find myself instinctively trying to use them. They're definitely the way to go even if I can't quite find the right sensitivity yet (had no problem in the original, annoyingly). +1.5 motion +2.5 stick feels ok at the moment though.

It hurts my hands so thanks no. Maybe when I get the Pro Controller, but with the grip and handheld mode it hurts. Well, it's not a big pain, but it's uncomfortable and I can see it transitioning to real pain after a while.

dafortune

Gyro controls really are vastly superior imo. It pisses me off whenever ps4 games don't have them as an option. I hate stick aiming.

roytheone

I tried using gyro in the test fires and it felt weird to constantly having to move my screen around (I mostly play in handheld mode). Maybe it feels better in console mode but I barely play like that.

The Boat

What's up with that "I am not afraid of change" snowflake BS? And using a video game as a benchmark for people who wants to change or not is ridiculous.

Motion controls just don't click to everyone and that doesn't mean that folks haven't tried it.
Most people in the "core community" definitely don't give motion controls a chance. If Wii has shown anything is that plenty of hardcore gamers who clamor for challenge can't stand being challenged to learn new types of controls and don't bother overcoming the difficulties inherent to change.

Of course, that doesn't mean someone is wrong for not using motion, just that they're wrong if they can't accept motion controls are more precise and accurate.

Most people in the "core community" definitely don't give motion controls a chance. If Wii has shown anything is that plenty of hardcore gamers who clamor for challenge can't stand being challenged to learn new types of controls and don't bother overcoming the difficulties inherent to change.

Of course, that doesn't mean someone is wrong for not using motion, just that they're wrong if they can't accept motion controls are more precise and accurate.

That's a whole lot of assumptions.

And in the end, 80% of splatoon players ended up using it anyeays, probably gonna be the same here
I'm in the 20% then. I've tried EVERYTHING but the camera constantly dips downward when I play. I've tried to recalibrate among other things. Nothing fixes it. I'm doing great using the sticks though so it's all good.

Motion controls are fine and to some degree better. I just wish they would not lock out the vertical stick movement.

It would totally be that way and I love the SC for that, but again... do not lock out stick aiming on one axis.

Vertical gyro moves are the easiest to quickly turn a wide angle since you just tilt your wrists right? The wide horizontal turn is not as comfortable to do fast, so it makes sense that you'd need sticks support.

Raitaro

Definitely a video I'll watch OP. Thanks for sharing!

I might be in the same boat even though I'm waiting for my copy of Splatoon 2 still.

People - including me usually - tend to say that having more options is always better but for me with Splatoon 1 this mostly led to going back and forth between both control schemes while never fully feeling either of them fully felt perfect. The motion controls led to unintentional and jittery camera movement while also leading to me stuggling with the invert y-axis option that I normally always turn on, while the sticks felt more natural but perhaps a bit more sluggish.

I'll give the motion controls another chance with Splatoon 2 since people generally do keep praising them but if it doesn't click with me again I'll go back to sticks for once and all to avoid again getting hung up on the control options instead of fully getting into the gameplay itself.

kazinova

My problem with motion aiming is I can't relax into my couch and do it. I like to keep my one arm resting on my knee while I play. And having one arm's motion restricted makes moving the controller to aim really uncomfortable and restricted.

Certainly not dogging anyone who prefers motion controls, I'm sure they're better. But if we're gonna go for perfect controls in a shooter, why not give my a mouse and a keyboard. It also takes away my comfortable couch position but it's the perfect shooter control scheme...

BTA

I loved motion controls in the first game, but they're even better here since I play this pretty much exclusively with split joycons. Just tilting the right joycon to aim works perfectly.

Chauzu

That's a whole lot of assumptions.

As someone who has never had big issues with motion control yet has to listen to whining anytime motion control is being used, either forced or not... It gets hard to not get assumptions. Espescially as most of the posts are drive-by "lol motion controls suck".

OCD Guy

I'm curious how many people who advocate motion controls are playing handheld?

Because it feels like crap when the screen is tilting while you're trying to aim. Then again anyone who takes gaming that seriously will probably use a pro controller anyway right?

I'm doing well enough with sticks, generally finishing top in the majority of matches. The reality is I'm never going to be elite at any game anyway so as long as you're having fun what does it matter....

Chauzu

I'm curious how many people who advocate motion controls are playing handheld?

Because it feels like crap. Then again anyone who takes gaming that seriously will probably use a pro controller anyway right?

I'm doing well enough with sticks, generally finishing top in the majority of matches. The reality is I'm never going to be elite at any game anyway so as long as you're having fun what does it matter....

Are you implying motion control is only used because people feel forced because it gives an advantage, not because it feels comfortable?

I haven't played Splatoon 2 since testfire but I had no issues going from docked with split joycons to handheld at least.

OCD Guy

Are you implying motion control is only used because people feel forced because it gives an advantage, not because it feels comfortable?

I haven't played Splatoon 2 since testfire but I had no issues going from docked with split joycons to handheld at least.

I'm basically saying that motion while using the handheld doesn't feel right for me personally.

I can't comment on what other people feel comfortable with. I also certainly don't think many people are going to make themselves feel uncomfortable while playing a game, hence why most people would likely use a controller while using motion controls. Yes of course I'm now going to see posts from people who tell me how comfortable they find using motion on handheld, but if I was pulling figures from my ass, I'd say the majority of people would find using a controller more comfortable.

My comment about people who take gaming seriously is my opinion. I don't think the guy who posted the video plays the game in handheld does he? And didn't someone on this very thread say he was a "pro" player?

This whole thread is revolving around the notion that motion controls are "better" and will result in you performing better once mastered. All I'm saying is that ultimately using motion with a controller is better than trying to use it handheld.

heringer

Hated them at first, but since I also wasn't happy with stick controls, I persevered and after a couple of hours adjusted. They are good.

Bethell

When you guys say "I use motion control" what do you actually mean? That you're just tilting the controller up and down for y axis and use Right stick for X axis?

I want to be able to move the camera with the stick on the vertical plane as well, so I can't use gyro controls. I'm into the idea of roughly aiming with the sticks, then fine-tuning with gyro, but I don't want to move the whole system/controller up and down just to look above or below me. Too bad. Hope Nintendo patches it in at some point, though I'm not expecting much seeing how it stayed the same across 2 games now.

Splatoon has some bad stick speeds even at low settings, the Y axis is just as fast as the X when really it should be a little slower, it makes the corsshair feel very loose.

Hattori

Banned
I've only played Splatoon 2 sparingly but motion control is the way to go. At first it was awkward but once it clicks it just works.

phanphare

Banned
yeah I watched this earlier. good video, shows why motion + stick controls are better than just stick controls especially for a game like splatoon where you might have to splat dash your way out of a situation or hide on a wall real quick or just be super mobile in general.

When you guys say "I use motion control" what do you actually mean? That you're just tilting the controller up and down for y axis and use Right stick for X axis?

Typically I use the stick for big horizontal adjustments and the motion for finer movements on both axes and aiming. There are also situations where you can move the reticle extremely quickly to react to incoming enemies, make quick escapes when necessary, etc.

I can't imagine playing with sticks only, though to be fair I have never played a traditional shooter before

ryushe

I will swear by motion controls for Splatoon any single day of the week, but let's not act like that the stick controls aren't just awful in this game.

And I don't mean in comparison to the Gyro. I'm talking in general.

Bethell

Typically I use the stick for big horizontal adjustments and the motion for finer movements on both axes and aiming. There are also situations where you can move the reticle extremely quickly to react to incoming enemies, make quick escapes when necessary, etc.

I can't imagine playing with sticks only, though to be fair I have never played a traditional shooter before

I see, but the video posted in this thread seems to indicate he is using it not for finer movements but for fast total movements 180 degrees etc. Just trying to figure out how hes doing it

There's a slight learning curve to it, but I can definitely feel the benefits from overcoming it in games that support it. It's not as good as a mouse, but it's the best performance I can squeeze out of a twin-stick controller.

Right stick for large movements and gyro for fine aiming.
What Heringer said. Gyro allows me to do quicker and more accurate corrections to my stick-aiming.

Top Bottom