• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TheSrb2DUDE: Splatoon 2- Motion controld vs sticks?

Lucifon

Eh compared to other console shooters this game feels really bad.
Vertical scale is way off and the acceleration curve feels really wrong.

The aiming is really bad just like the first. It shows Nintendo's lack of experience in this area much like I felt Overwatch showed Blizzard's inexperience in refined stick controls (although they've improved a fair amount since launch).

I love the game but do often feel like I'm fighting the controls. Options for dead zones, acceleration, x/y individual sensitivity etc would go a long way imo, possibly in an advanced section of the options for those that wanted to mess with them.

Vash63

Motion controls nauseate me...but then, so does VR, 3D movies, roller coasters...

I think I'm an old English farmer at heart.

Even the Vive and Rift? Either of those in room scale without any artificial motion (such as using a stick to walk) should not have any difference in nausea versus moving around in real life.

atr0cious

Splatoon is also constrained to horizontal movement, with vertical being slowly performed by the right analog stick (iirc).
People keep talking about this like it's a negative. Taking a way the vertical aim from the stick is a blessing, as it allows you to focus on the enemy that is almost always at that level, enabling more assured accuracy where it's not missing cause it's also going up or down. With motion, it's just a flick of the wrist to aim up, and most weapon spray patterns don't need you to elevate your gun much to get efficient coverage.

atom519

Might have already been posted, but here is the same guy showing off his charger skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbJ0u1vzne8

I would love to see someone be able to perform on the same level using strictly analog controls. The flick type shots where he quickly snaps to a player near the edge of the screen are pretty much impossible using analog. You're at significant disadvantage when battling another skilled motion player with a charger in this scenario.

Personally, I love the motion controls but I understand how others are put off by them. You basically need to go in being aware they are significantly better and also prepared to fight the controls for a while until it clicks. It's easy to see why people give up and turn them off without giving them a proper chance.

OryoN

Might have already been posted, but here is the same guy showing off his charger skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbJ0u1vzne8

I would love to see someone be able to perform on the same level using strictly analog controls...

It'd would be even more amusing seeing them get wrecked by Dude in a 1v1. That level of accuracy displayed in his charger gameplay rivals that of keyboard & mouse, even if the latter generally has a tiny edge.

People gave themselves years to get proficient with stick controls, but are put off by the very notion that the controls in Splatoon 2 are gonna require some practice? Interestingly, since they are way more intuitive/natural for aiming(compared to sticks), you won't require anywhere near as much time to get good. But, you still have to practice though! In the end, there really isn't any - true - debate about which is technically superior.

This is coming from someone who's analog stick aiming skills date all the way back to Turok on the N64. That's damn near 20 yrs of acquired dexterity that will only get sharper the moment I get back into any serious competitive play that require this skill. It would have been foolish for me to think that spending a few minutes(or even a couple hours) with motion controls would be enough to overwrite that many years of muscle memory! It takes a little practice to get used to a change, then a bit more to see our potential. Then from there, you simply get better and better. It's a process any gamer should be familiar with, as we have have experienced it numerous times.

The thing is I don't even care if it is better. I care about how it feels to play. Gyro control in Splatoon is best control scheme I have played with since forever and Splatoon 2 feels even better. True next step for gaming controls. This should be option in every shooter.

People keep talking about this like it's a negative. Taking a way the vertical aim from the stick is a blessing, as it allows you to focus on the enemy that is almost always at that level, enabling more assured accuracy where it's not missing cause it's also going up or down. With motion, it's just a flick of the wrist to aim up, and most weapon spray patterns don't need you to elevate your gun much to get efficient coverage.

Oh certainly, but it prevents it from being a universally practical control option. Something like Lawbreakers or Titanfall, this would work poorly for, because of the verticality.

It works well in splatoon because it's designed from the ground up to be a largely, horizontal playing field. Which is fine, but I think this is one reason you won't see this type of control scheme being popular within other shooters, or at least shooters of a certain type.

For what it's worth, when motion controls were implemented to Killzone and MAG, they also offered a huge advantage over controller used. In that case it was a little unfair as the motion controls were given extra aim assistance to help keep their aim steady on the target, however.

Petohtalrayn

Neo Member
I really wish there was a toggle or a hold button for the motion controls that could be used mid-game. I would love to have motion aiming as an option for when I need a more precise shot, but the game just feels too weird to me when they're always on.

It'd would be even more amusing seeing them get wrecked by Dude in a 1v1. That level of accuracy displayed in his charger gameplay rivals that of keyboard & mouse, even if the latter generally has a tiny edge.

People gave themselves years to get proficient with stick controls, but are put off by the very notion that the controls in Splatoon 2 are gonna require some practice? Interestingly, since they are way more intuitive/natural for aiming(compared to sticks), you won't require anywhere near as much time to get good. But, you still have to practice though! In the end, there really isn't any - true - debate about which is technically superior.

This is coming from someone who's analog stick aiming skills date all the way back to Turok on the N64. That's damn near 20 yrs of acquired dexterity that will only get sharper the moment I get back into any serious competitive play that require this skill. It would have been foolish for me to think that spending a few minutes(or even a couple hours) with motion controls would be enough to overwrite that many years of muscle memory! It takes a little practice to get used to a change, then a bit more to see our potential. Then from there, you simply get better and better. It's a process any gamer should be familiar with, as we have have experienced it numerous times.

Sometimes I wonder if you guys have played shooters on other platforms when saying things like this. The level of accuracy required for Splatoon's charger is far lower than something like Halo's sniper, or even Quakes Rocket launcher, and their are ample number of far more impressive montages available for each - nothing in that highlight video rivals what I have seen from the best keyboard and mouse players.

I also disagree with the idea that Splatoon's motion controls are more intuitive. Players have to use both analog, motion, and a button to reset the camera. Splatoon's motion controls certainly work well, but that's at the cost of accessibility, as they require players to coordinate their movements with the right analog, as well as persistently reset the camera. Pure motion controls are incredibly accessible, yes, but Splatoon's implementation is not that.

derFeef

I really wish there was a toggle or a hold button for the motion controls that could be used mid-game. I would love to have motion aiming as an option for when I need a more precise shot, but the game just feels to weird to me when they're always on.

Yeah, like a aim button. Now that would be useful, but hey...

Oh certainly, but it prevents it from being a universally practical control option. Something like Lawbreakers or Titanfall, this would work poorly for, because of the verticality.

It works well in splatoon because it's designed from the ground up to be a largely, horizontal playing field. Which is fine, but I think this is one reason you won't see this type of control scheme being popular within other shooters, or at least shooters of a certain type.
Verticality is not an issue for this control setup, or better put, is not inferior in relation to the thumbstick which is the main argument.

Do people actually know some of the reasons why stick movement is restricted to X axis?

Quite simple. Motioning with a two handed controller in the X axis is more restricitive, this is why the stick is there to assist the camera turning. However, motioning in the Y axis is so simple and subtle that having it in the stick would be redundant, specially when the Y motion is more exact.

Sometimes I wonder if you guys have played shooters on other platforms when saying things like this. The level of accuracy required for Splatoon's charger is far lower than something like Halo's sniper, or even Quakes Rocket launcher, and their are ample number of far more impressive montages available for each - nothing in that highlight video rivals what I have seen from the best keyboard and mouse players.
The "concensus" with the majority of people that tolerate motion controls is that it serves as a nice middle ground between mouse (the most exact) and Thumbsticks in terms of precision. It is also a middle ground between them in terms of confort and convinience, mouse and keyboard geting the shaft in this case.

I also disagree with the idea that Splatoon's motion controls are more intuitive. Players have to use both analog, motion, and a button to reset the camera. Splatoon's motion controls certainly work well, but that's at the cost of accessibility, as they require players to coordinate their movements with the right analog, as well as persistently reset the camera. Pure motion controls are incredibly accessible, yes, but Splatoon's implementation is not that.
i do understand your position and it has merit however:

1) Actually some people play Splatoon 1 motion only since there are sensitivity options.

2) Since the Switch has a transformable controller you can split the Joycon and playing the game motion only is easier in comparison to the first game since using 1 hand to aim is less restrictive. In this way the control retain it's intutiveness better.

Trying my hardest to adapt to motion controls but it’s tough. Can’t play in bed because the camera is always tilted up to the sky and the camera reset doesn’t fix that. When I play upright, my tendency is to hold the the switch tilted down, so too often I’m shooting at the ground instead of infront if me thereby forcing me to be conscious of adjusting my wrists...which is very difficult.

Tried going to stick controls, but because of the speed of motion controls, tilting the axis seems slow no matter the sensitivity. I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place. Hated Splatoon on Wii U because of motion due to the clunky form factor. I’m actually enjoying the game a little more on switch because it’s more comfortable...but it makes me feel incompetent. Like I’ve never played a shooter in my life!

derFeef

I am at the point where I can only play with MC even ind handheld mode, but still not totally comfy with it. If I try to do the 180 like in the video I always flick the Switch in the wrong direction... my silly brain...

unrealist

Getting a response in OT is hard so I figured I can try my luck here..

Are the motion controls when using Pro Controller better? Using motion controls in handheld, it is decently ok but still getting used to it. I find it next to impossible when I use the joycons in the grip in TV mode though.

atr0cious

Disagree, as I use very similar settings on my steam controller for games like evolve, overwatch and seige and tilting the controller is way easier that trying to aim both vertical and horizontal quickly against other kbm users. Titanfall also plays like a dream as many steam controller users can attest to.

Disagree, as I use very similar settings on my steam controller for games like evolve, overwatch and seige and tilting the controller is way easier that trying to aim both vertical and horizontal quickly against other kbm users. Titanfall also plays like a dream as many steam controller users can attest to.

I'd like to see some titanfall gameplay using that? Someone posted some Titanfall gameplay using the gyros on the steam controller in one of the Titanfall threads and it was laughably poor.

TZchassis

I want to play Splatoon lying in bed before sleeping so I had to adapt to the limitations of regular controller until they allow me to play with motion. I play with motion when I'm docked.

Hojaho

his video doesnt prove anything lol. Its not in actual gameplay and he ignores the fact that you have to move both your hands to actually aim.

Nevermind the fact that it doesnt prove its more responsive fluid or accurate.

You can play with split joycons and only move one hand to aim...

jwillenn

It feels that way because there's slight aim assist in most console shooters, and there's none in splat. That feeling of it being imprecise is the feeling of the training wheels being off.

Splatoon motion controls make the game playable to me. I've always had a slight aversion to dual stick control in shooters. It's convoluted, uncomfortable, and comedically unintuitive. Then only reason anyone is okay with it is because it's been the standard for 16 years now. I wish everything played on a pad could allow for Splatoon style motion aiming.

I wish everything had the full range of options possible as long as it didn't break the game. My DREAM is Sin & Punishment 2 (IR aiming, but motion will have to do due to how it was implemented this time) meets right stick (view control) meets instant control configuration toggling. Splatoon 2 (like many games) forces players to keep the reticle centered. I'd love to be able to move it around the screen (see Metroid Prime Trilogy) without this impacting view (see Trilogy WHEN you hold Z), again leaving that to the stick.

It would have been great to just have ALL the options ( all styles to date with the FULL range of sensitivity adjustment options) at the system level, but lock custom configurations at that level when it hurts the developer's intention.

I really wish there was a toggle or a hold button for the motion controls that could be used mid-game. I would love to have motion aiming as an option for when I need a more precise shot, but the game just feels too weird to me when they're always on.

metroid blast ball had a good method, when you held down a trigger you could free aim but that method relied on locking onto the ball as well but I would bet that it could be added to splatoon easily enough without lock ons.

Oxirane

Just got the game and messed around in the single player area. The lack of Y-axis stick in motion controls was very jarring in handheld mode, however changing to split Joycons helped a lot. Maybe using the Grip or Pro Controller will be similarly comfortable and it just feels weird when in handheld mode.
As someone who has trouble with the sticks, this seems promising.

NOTE: I use the controller then switch to mouse to shoot in Hitman, have been using the touchpad on the Steam controller to play The Division and really liked the emulated touch trackball from Kid Icarus: Uprising.

I don't like this video. Dude doesn't make the best arguments in the world.

With that said, when I first watched this video a few days ago, I was sticks-only. I gave motion control a shot the day the game came out and wasn't feeling it. Well, I've given motion control another honest shot the last couple of days, since this video dropped...

...and I get it now. Once it clicks, it's so much better than dual analog for this game that it's crazy.

it's an immediate gamechanger... I'm covering twice as much ground in turf wars with a quick flick. I'm splatting damn near every fool that walks in my sightline. I've been first place on my team every single match I've played for the last like two hours of playing this game. And motion controls is pretty much the reason for that.

I'm actually trying to master the Joycons as a control method based on recommendations from here and it'll still take some getting used to, but I see its advantages.

Top Bottom