• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

They should bring back pre-rendered backgrounds

jett

D-Member
-viper- said:
holy shit at the REMAKE shots. does it really look like that during game play?

looks better than 99% of the games released today.

Of course it's gonna look good on those tiny ass pictures.

L6DNS.jpg

No, it does not look better than 99% of games released today.

Amir0x

Banned
Fuck that garbage. Fucking disgusting. We left the era when 3D visuals were so bad developers had to compensate with static, completely fucking dead pre-rendered backgrounds.

Time to move the fuck on.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Why the fuck didn't anyone do a HD game with pre rendered backgrounds of CG 2010 quality? Game developers are high as hell, especially Square Enix.

At least do em in 2D, Oddworld style

Amir0x said:
Fuck that garbage. Fucking disgusting. We left the era when 3D visuals were so bad developers had to compensate with static, completely fucking dead pre-rendered backgrounds.

Oh yeah cause current console situation is oh so much better when talking about high end visuals

edit, talking about games where prerended background make sense of course

TEH-CJ

Banned
Amir0x said:

This. we should be moving forwards not backwards.

jett

D-Member
Teetris said:
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Why the fuck didn't anyone do a HD game with pre rendered backgrounds of CG 2010 quality? Game developers are high as hell, especially Square Enix.

At least do em in 2D, Oddworld style

Oh yeah cause current console situation is oh so much better when talking about high end visuals

Do you really want a post spamming pictures of great looking games from this generation? Hell, I'll post this one just for kicks

20100328_2.jpg

I don't need no fucking CG backgrounds.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
jett said:
Do you really want a post spamming pictures of great looking games from this generation? Hell, I'll post this one just for kicks

http://gradly.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/20100328_2.jpg[IMG]

I don't need no fucking CG backgrounds.[/QUOTE]

Well thats nice but most people are talking about select few genres not every game in existence. There is room enough for all types, pre-rendered and not.

-viper-

Banned
jett said:
Of course it's gonna look good on those tiny ass pictures.

http://imgur.com/L6DNS.jpg[/IMG

No, it does not look better than 99% of games released today.[/QUOTE]
fair enough.

I haven't played the game myself but I guess the small pictures really helps make it look good.

Doesn't look so hot after all.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
jett said:

http://gradly.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/20100328_2.jpg[IMG]

I don't need no fucking CG backgrounds.[/QUOTE]Funny that you mention this one. I'm actually playing this right now. Yeah, it looks amazing and is certainly the staple for this gen (but the far camera angles sure help it), but CG background would make it just a bit more amazing when put in the right places for this specific game, especially in the more epic grand views. It all depends on the situation, you can always go better with games.

Our studio was actually experimenting with the prerendered backgrounds but strictly for 2D games in HD. Some of the results that I saw were pretty goddamn good looking to the point you'd imagine why no studio has actually done this, there's some great money to be made here. RPGs and 2D games and games with not much camera usage in general would benefit greatly. Just imagine a 2D Toy Story game with the CG backgrounds of Toy Story 3. It would look fucking amazing.

Suairyu

Banned
-viper- said:
fair enough.

I haven't played the game myself but I guess the small pictures really helps make it look good.

Doesn't look so hot after all.
In motion, played at SD resolution (480p) it looks fantastic. The backgrounds, though technically static, are animated. It never feels like pre-rendered background.

Of course it's going to look like ass if upscaled beyond it original resolution. Were it to be re-rendered at 1080p, the detail in it would support it and it'd look glorious.

KevinCow

Banned
This is a terrible idea and a terrible thread and you're a terrible person for making it. Prerendered backgrounds mean fixed cameras, and fixed cameras suck.

jett

D-Member
Teetris said:
Funny that you mention this one. I'm actually playing this right now. Yeah, it looks amazing and is certainly the staple for this gen (but the far camera angles sure help it), but CG background would make it just a bit more amazing when put in the right places for this specific game, especially in the more epic grand views. It all depends on the situation, you can always go better with games.

Our studio was actually experimenting with the prerendered backgrounds but strictly for 2D games in HD. Some of the results that I saw were pretty goddamn good looking to the point you'd imagine why no studio has actually done this, there's some great money to be made here. RPGs and 2D games and games with not much camera usage in general would benefit greatly. Just imagine a 2D Toy Story game with the CG backgrounds of Toy Story 3. It would look fucking amazing.

No thanks, CG backgrounds look too static, especially lighting and shadowing-wise, even in 2D, and they never stand the test of time. Studios don't do this because CG scenery is simply not needed. Only reason CG backgrounds were used was because current hardware was just that crappy.

About GOW3...goddamn. o_O No.

Suairyu said:
In motion, played at SD resolution (480p) it looks fantastic. The backgrounds, though technically static, are animated. It never feels like pre-rendered background.

Of course it's going to look like ass if upscaled beyond it original resolution. Were it to be re-rendered at 1080p, the detail in it would support it and it'd look glorious.

Do you play in a 11-inch screen? The game will get stretched either way. It will not look good.

notsol337

marked forever
KevinCow said:
This is a terrible idea and a terrible thread and you're a terrible person for making it. Prerendered backgrounds mean fixed cameras, and fixed cameras suck.

A real Resident Evil game would be nice. I mean, I like the direction they went with Resident Evil 4, but a small episode with a fixed camera would be awesome.

Clott

Woah resident evil 3!?

Is that the PC version? how do I mod it to look like that!?

I need to replay that expediently

No where in your post do you mention that both the games you were playing control terribly. I'll stick with 3D games that are actually 3D, thanks. Leave "pre rendered" 2D scenes for skyboxes.

Suairyu

Banned
jett said:
Do you play in a 11-inch screen? The game will get stretched either way. It will not look good.
I emulate it on Dolphin at high resolution then down-scale that bitch to a 480p sized window. It looks godly. I appreciate I'm in a minority when it comes to the ability to do this.

Same thing I do with the PS1 Final Fantasies. Difference there is that anyone with a computer made in the last decade can do that.

Seriously, guys: emulate your classic pre-rendered games and SSAA the 3D character models. Run the thing in a 480p sized window and prepare to have new visual life breathed into your flickery CRT memories. It results are often stunning. FFIX benefits from this a lot.

Clott said:
Woah resident evil 3!?

Emulate the Dreamcast or PS1 version. You'll get IQ that good.

KevinCow said:

Does this mean that games that used fixed camera angles also suck?

Suairyu

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
Does this mean that games that used fixed camera angles also suck?
Baldur's Gate II sucks pretty hard! And every RTS ever made ever - even in 3D, you're still watching it in isometric mode 99% of the time - they all suck.

Suairyu said:
Baldur's Gate II sucks pretty hard! And every RTS ever made ever - even in 3D, you're still watching it in isometric mode 99% of the time - they all suck.

Damn, I guess that means Grim Fandango sucks too. That's a shame because I really like that game.

jett

D-Member
Suairyu said:
I emulate it on Dolphin at high resolution then down-scale that bitch to a 480p sized window. It looks godly. I appreciate I'm in a minority when it comes to the ability to do this.

Same thing I do with the PS1 Final Fantasies. Difference there is that anyone with a computer made in the last decade can do that.

Seriously, guys: emulate your classic pre-rendered games and SSAA the 3D character models. Run the thing in a 480p sized window and prepare to have new visual life breathed into your flickery CRT memories. It results are often stunning. FFIX benefits from this a lot.

You're certainly in the minority of people that run their games on a 640x480 window. Have you tried 320x240? Think how much godlier it's gonna look like!

Suairyu

Banned
jett said:
You're certainly in the minority of people that run their games on a 640x480 window. Have you tried 320x240? Think how much godlier it's gonna look like!
I wouldn't blow up a 7" photo to fit a larger frame, so why do the same with your games? Enjoy art at its intended size/resolution if it has such a limitation.
Mama Robotnik said:
Damn, I guess that means Grim Fandango sucks too. That's a shame because I really like that game.
You have no idea how much that game sucks and how you probably suck for enjoying it, too.

brain_stew said:
No where in your post do you mention that both the games you were playing control terribly. I'll stick with 3D games that are actually 3D, thanks. Leave "pre rendered" 2D scenes for skyboxes.

They may control badly but that doesn't mean they are bad games, and it doesn't take away the fact that in their native resolution they have aged better than any other game that generation.

Onimusha 3 sort of makes the bad controls argument irrelevant - it fixed the tank controls while still having mostly fixed camera angles.

Clott said:
Woah resident evil 3!?

PC version has higher-res backgrounds. The only bits that look cheap and low-res are the bits in the scenery that have transparent areas the characters can be seen behind.

Amir0x

Banned
Teetris said:
Funny that you mention this one. I'm actually playing this right now. Yeah, it looks amazing and is certainly the staple for this gen (but the far camera angles sure help it), but CG background would make it just a bit more amazing when put in the right places for this specific game, especially in the more epic grand views. It all depends on the situation, you can always go better with games.

Jesus fucking christ. Ridiculous. THE ONLY REASON WHY pre-rendered backgrounds were ever utilized is because old 3D was an archaic, pixelated mess. Pre-rendered backgrounds are a functional disaster compared to true 3D. You want those dead, zombie backgrounds with a little flickering light to try to pretend it's part of the world, go back to play PS1 crap titles.

There's a reason why pre-rendered backgrounds are inferior to 3D. 3D backgrounds are seamless with your character, and can provide as much life and vibrancy as is necessary. You can pan around and adjust camera angles cinematically or on the fly. The practical applications are endless. pre-rendered backgrounds are for nostalgia kiddos whose first experience with "good graphics" was in some scruffy looking version of Resident Evil.

we are at the point in 3D where we do not need pre-rendered backgrounds. Please, load up and emulator and stop giving the industry bad ideas.

KevinCow

Banned
Suairyu said:

The camera moves around in those games. It's not fixed. Do you not know what fixed means?

Mama Robotnik said:

It can work decently in adventure games since you're not expected to have any sort of precision at all and stumbling around the room geometry won't get you killed. But it's certainly not ideal.

In an adventure game, where there's hardly any gameplay outside of mashing objects together until you make progress, where most of the enjoyment comes from things like the writing, the characters, the world, and the art, can you honestly say you're happy with a fixed camera and wouldn't like to look around the world more freely?

MrFortyFive

My roommate and I recently played through REmake again, and although its age really really shows, it still managed to impress us at times. I'd really like to see what could be done these days with a high budget and pre-rendered backgrounds.

Aeana

Although I have no particular attachment to pre-rendered backgrounds, I thought the backgrounds in Star Ocean: First Departure for PSP were pretty nice looking.

KZQV1.jpg
gFelm.jpg
tYfh8.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
final fantasy was better in 3d with pre-rendered backgrounds. as mama robotnik mentioned, ff9 at times looks absolutely gorgeous, and packed full of activity. i tried to play dragon quest 8 and thought spaces in the game felt strangely hollow, empty, and dead.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Pre-rendered backgrounds are as abhorrent as non-game engine cut scenes. It's an artifact of a dead era, and also conducive to terrible camera use.

See also: Devil May Cry 1

Pre-rendered backgrounds + terrible camera placement = game breaking.

In addition that that, it doesn't immerse me in the game world. I just feel like even more of a rat in a maze.

Pretty much this.

Pre-render backgrounds where used as a way to hide not only the graphical limitations of consoles of that era, but also the lack of experience from 3D developers. I mean yes they looked and worked great for JRPG's and Adventure games, but in reality those games were more or less played completely in 2D with the occasional isometric or behind the shoulder view thrown in there.

To explain in greater detail:

I think people often forget how infant 3D gaming was prior to last generation. Super Mario 64 was pretty much the first actual real 3D game ever. Prior to it every 3D game was either on-rails, had shitty fixed camera angles, or some DOOM-like shooter. I mean hell just look at the 3D Playstation and Saturn games at the times: Crash Bandicoot, Panzer Dragoon, Resident Evil, hardly have any (if at all) actual 3D gameplay. Super Mario 64 changed that, it was the first game that actually had 3D movement and design, camera controls, behind the back viewpoint, 3D interactivity, etc. But unfortunately not all was solved. How do you attack an enemy in 3D? How do you attack multiple enemies? How will having one huge map to explore work? How will boss battles work? Or how about complex gameplay that heavily involves 3D? This was once again solved by Nintendo with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Developers just didn't know how to do a lot of basic things in 3D and didn't know until a huge ground breaking game came out (Zelda, Half-Life, etc.)

But another huge problem was the technology at the time. How could the Playstation render a complex city street with a handful of zombies at an acceptable framerate? People may shit on the Nintendo 64's frame-rate, but in reality the Nintendo 64 could run games far better than the Playstation could. It was just that those Nintendo 64 games were actually in full 3D. The slowdown and choppiness was due to the fact that the games were producing more polygons than the RAM could handle. Now if the Nintendo 64 framerate was put on its knees due to Banjo-Kazooie, imagine if the then Squaresoft tried to render full towns in 3D on a far weaker console. It just wasn't going to happen. This is why by the time most 3D gameplay concepts were figured out and new hardware came out, that type of gameplay was nearly completely abandoned immediately.

Amir0x said:

Cause one or two games with static backgrounds would cause all development on 3D graphics tech to stop forever.
Static backgrounds can be a stylistic device just like everything else (2d games, pixel art, etc)

Amir0x

Banned
Backfoggen said:
Cause one or two games with static backgrounds would cause all development on 3D graphics tech to stop forever.
Static backgrounds can be a stylistic device just like everything else (2d games, pixel art, etc)

yeah, they're an ugly stylistic choice. move on developers, ignore this thread

Minsc

Gold Member
Amir0x said:
Jesus fucking christ. Ridiculous. THE ONLY REASON WHY pre-rendered backgrounds were ever utilized is because old 3D was an archaic, pixelated mess. Pre-rendered backgrounds are a functional disaster compared to true 3D. You want those dead, zombie backgrounds with a little flickering light to try to pretend it's part of the world, go back to play PS1 crap titles.

There's a reason why pre-rendered backgrounds are inferior to 3D. 3D backgrounds are seamless with your character, and can provide as much life and vibrancy as is necessary. You can pan around and adjust camera angles cinematically or on the fly. The practical applications are endless. pre-rendered backgrounds are for nostalgia kiddos whose first experience with "good graphics" was in some scruffy looking version of Resident Evil.

we are at the point in 3D where we do not need pre-rendered backgrounds. Please, load up and emulator and stop giving the industry bad ideas.

What about hand drawn 2D backgrounds (like older Lucas Arts titles)? Though I suppose those mostly died out and aren't coming back.

Suairyu said:
I wouldn't blow up a 7" photo to fit a larger frame, so why do the same with your games? Enjoy art at its intended size/resolution if it has such a limitation.
You have no idea how much that game sucks and how you probably suck for enjoying it, too.

GCN and Wii games were only intended to be viewed on <11" screens, were they? Guess I must have missed the memo.

Suairyu

Banned
KevinCow said:
The camera moves around in those games. It's not fixed. Do you not know what fixed means?
The assertion was made that pre-rendered backgrounds necessitated a fixed camera. As Baldur's Gate employs pre-rendered backgrounds, but has a moving camera, the natural assumption was that "fixed perspective" was the intended term. If that was not the case, then the original post I sarcastically argued against was wrong anyway.
brain_stew said:
GCN and Wii games were only intended to be viewed on <11" screens, were they? Guess I must have missed the memo.
Oh come on, man. I was very clearly replacing size and resolution for the photography analogy. I even pointed it out in the post with the "size/resolution" bit. Last-gen pre-rendered backgrounds would look just as shiny on a 30" CRT SDTV. The point was about viewing art in its original size format, whether that size is defined in inches (as is the case with a printed photograph or painting) or resolution, as is the case with games.

I was making the argument that playing an emulated game in a small window to preserve its resolution is no bad thing.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Onimusha 3 sort of makes the bad controls argument irrelevant - it fixed the tank controls while still having mostly fixed camera angles.

So the controls were finally fixed once they ditched the pre-rendered backgrounds? You're not doing your argument any favours here.

RSB

Banned
RE5 DLC (Lost in Nightmares) has an easter egg at the beginning that lets you play with fixed camera angles, and IMO they look much better than those pre-rendered backgrounds from REmake.

So yeah, NO. Pre-rendered backgrounds were a necessity back in the day, due to tech limitations. It would be ridiculous to use them nowadays (on the big consoles, at least)

Bye ;)

K' Dash

-viper- said:
holy shit at the REMAKE shots. does it really look like that during game play?

looks better than 99% of the games released today.

that's right biatch REmake is beautiful, so is RE0, haters die in a fire.

People are basing their opinions on pre-rendered backgrounds on some old-ass games. RE1 remake looks worse than RE5 hurf. No shit there's been 8 years in between.

Current-gen tech could do much more with pre-rendered backgrounds.

brain_stew said:
So the controls were finally fixed once they ditched the pre-rendered backgrounds? You're not doing your argument any favours here.

My point was that the camera was still fixed - so that means they could have applied the improved controls to a pre-rendered background just as easily.

jett

D-Member
Flying_Phoenix said:
But another huge problem was the technology at the time. How could the Playstation render a complex city street with a handful of zombies at an acceptable framerate? People may shit on the Nintendo 64's frame-rate, but in reality the Nintendo 64 could run games far better than the Playstation could. It was just that those Nintendo 64 games were actually in full 3D. The slowdown and choppiness was due to the fact that the games were producing more polygons than the RAM could handle. Now if the Nintendo 64 framerate was put on its knees due to Banjo-Kazooie, imagine if the then Squaresoft tried to render full towns in 3D on a far weaker console. It just wasn't going to happen. This is why by the time most 3D gameplay concepts were figured out and new hardware came out, that type of gameplay was nearly completely abandoned immediately.

More polygons than the RAM could handle? Eh. The slowdown and choppiness was because the N64 fucking blows. Xenogears, a Squaresoft PS1 game, has "full 3D towns", btw.

Xenogears.png

Anyways, I'm fairly certain the PS1 is more capable at generating a higher number of polygons than the N64. N64 games are blocky as all fuck. PS1 games routinely had better texture quality too. The only/major thing the N64 had over it was superior image quality which helped loads, including masking the awful blobs of blurriness called "textures" that its games used.

Man this is dangerously OT.

K' Dash

Amir0x said:

u mad?

not all prerendered backgrounds on REmake and Zero were static, shit that was suposed to move still moved, what you're saying is PS1/N64 era.

Himuro said:
But do you think these will still be nearly AS expensive and take nearly AS long to develop? The answer is NO!

There's every chance they'd be more expensive.

To show any appreciable advantage you've got to create those assets at a much higher quality than you would if you were render them in realtime, otherwise, what the hell is the point? Since asset creation is the single biggest part of a game's budget these days and you've just gone ahead and demanded much higher quality art assets, well, I'm not sure how you're doing anything to get the game budget down, you may have gone and done exactly the opposite.

You think S-E went with pre-rendered backgrounds in the PS1 days because they were cheap!?

Backfoggen said:
People are basing their opinions on pre-rendered backgrounds on some old-ass games. RE1 remake looks worse than RE5 hurf. No shit there's been 8 years in between.

Exactly, such as this -

image1.jpg

jett

D-Member
Himuro said:
But do you think these will still be nearly AS expensive and take nearly AS long to develop? The answer is NO!

Of course dude. You think the CG used in FFXIII is cheap? You think CG films are cheap? They take years to make. Aren't you an editor? You should know this shit. Advent Children, a CG movie of dubious technical quality, took Square years to make, and they didn't even bother or were able to afford to fucking render the whole thing in HD to begin with.

Backfoggen said:

Like what exactly!?

Pre-rendered backgrounds are just bitmaps, nothing more, nothing less. We passed the stage of being able to perfectly display a .bmp a long ass time ago.

Top Bottom