• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief - announcment trailer

PFD

Let me just say that the Deus Ex: Human Revolution is one of my favorite CG trailers of all time. They established an incredible tone and style with that trailer, one they followed through on very well. Also I don't think there was any confusion about whether that particular trailer was in real time.

I don't care that CG trailers are obviously not representative of what the in-game graphics will look like, especially when they do a solid job of just interpreting the "feel" of the game.

I prefer the full 5-min version (one linked earlier was the short one): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq5KWLqUewc

Amir0x

Banned
don't be relieved just because of the title,the game is in development under SE crazy mindset (see FF13,Hitman,Tomb Raider Reboot)

Don't worry I fully expect another game ruining everything that was good about the franchise like Hitman and Tomb Raider; I just have to count my blessings where they come

and if the game surprises and it isn't modern AAA slop, all the better ;)

Yes. Its much more rewarding. Especially if you can do it without magical knockout moves. Mark of the Ninja being the most recent example.

I don't know, walking slow and sneaking around somebody can be fun sometimes, but personally don't see how it's so rewarding, it's equally boring as shit sometimes lol.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Looks great, but like Deus Ex: Human Revolution this is probably the work of Square Enix's Visual Works. No doubt the game will look great but this is the announcement trailer and Square Enix is known for making their games first announcement trailers CGI and created by their Visual Works team.

For Example:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUBw5-CWw5c

and Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywQyc_t4ZUs

and Tomb Raider
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFBrgeSjj-0

and Hitman Absolution
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2_uFewVo-0

and the biggest CGI tease of all time Final Fantasy Versus XIII
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuWmF0uBgqQ

Basically what I am saying is never believe the announcement trailers when it comes to Square Enix ;).
I thought this was done by Goldtooth? Who I believe also did d a bunch of Deus Ex stuff too.

I really think this was rendered using the game engine, albeit in cutscenes. You can definitely see some parts where it looks realtime. I don't think any of this is CG.

It looks incredible.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I am kind of desensitized to all these flashy trailers. Show some gameplay!

I really think this was rendered using the game engine, albeit in cutscenes. You can definitely see some parts where it looks realtime. I don't think any of this is CG.
Nope. Clearly CG.

gabbo

Stephen Russel not being the voice was a bummer, even if it's not a done deal on that front.
Like the grab at the end, but it's not much to go on.

jett

D-Member
Yes. Its much more rewarding. Especially if you can do it without magical knockout moves. Mark of the Ninja being the most recent example.

You mean like the magical one hit blackjack from the original Thief games? :p

Bear

It looks incredible.

I thought I spotted a few signs of being in-engine the first time I watched it.

After watching it again, and paying close attention to those parts, none of it really stood up to scrutiny. As far as I can tell, it definitely looks like CG.

i-Lo

Haven't been following the thread, but it looked CG. Has it been confirmed?

Look at page 5. I don't think you need official confirmation once you've compared the trailer footage against the screens that show the game running in real time.

A CG trailer? If so didn't impress me at all. That can't possibly be visual works can it? Looks nowhere near their usual quality to me... My initial reaction was that it was in engine. Otherwise why show the teaser? Certainly the original screenshots didn't look particularly impressive, but likewise this doesn't look impressive at all for a pre-rendered movie...

Announcing a next gen game with a CG trailer of that quality though...Hardly an impressive statement of intent...

i dont get some of you people. how can some of you be excited about a CG ?

yeah the game was annouced a while back. why would i want to watch a CG trailer ? show me gameplay trailer :/

Looks like Thief...

...still cautiously optimistic, so far Eidos are making all the right moves and noises.

Still, would love to get Stephen Russell back, he IS Garrett!

I think it looks like Unreal Engine 4. Especially the part where he enters the room with all the birdcages. That could totally be in-engine.

I was not excited.

You mean like the magical one hit blackjack from the original Thief games? :p

It wasn't exactly one-hit though, IIRC. You had to get the positioning just right, otherwise what ensues is desperate whacking with the blackjack while they stab you with their swords.

This is going to be fantastic. I understand doubters are gonna doubt, but seriously this looks to stay 99% true to the roots. Gorgeous art design too.

Think most people will agree that Deus EX:HR was 90% true to the roots but added 10% of dumb modernized designs that took much away from the game. Either way the bigger issue is that HR started strongly but the stealth gameplay became increasingly repetitive and boring, and I am not sure if the new Thief game will be any better. Especially when the Thief games are famous for its non-linearity and super huge levels which are on another level compared to the first Deus EX game, and that's something the modern gamers can't stand.

mantidor

I'll miss Russell of course, but what I will really miss is the whole craziness of religious cults and pagan deities, robbing is fun, but it gets stale after a while, sneaking in a haunted cathedral on the other hand...

I really hope their "tone down" of the "magical" elements is not that big, the original games had very few magical elements anyway, and they helped built a pretty awesome universe in which being a thief with such mad skills made sense.

Edit:

It's funny how the almost 15 year old intros for Thief I and Thief II still have more personality than the generic stuff we are seeing here, I'm really going to miss Brosius as well, the soundtrack in this trailer doesn't even compare.

Paganmoon

I wish it were third person and looked like this:

SQSewers-CG1end.jpg

So... Assassin's Creed pretty much? :)

Speaking of which, doesn't the narrator sound alot like Connor?

Top Bottom