• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief - announcment trailer

Lost_Paradise

Neo Member
Thanks, Lost_Paradise.

It's not nostalgia. It's iconic, memorable, and well-done voice work, which Russell is perfectly capable of doing now. Not quite the same thing as the Bond movies.

I know this is going to sound petty, but things like this do affect my purchase decisions.

I actually got introduced to the franchise quite recently, still haven't played all the games, but I understand what you mean.

i-Lo

Could anyone answer my two questions:

• Given it's been called a reboot, why does Garrett possess The Eye?
  • In the trailer while waiting in the dark alley way, we see Garrett exude dark smoke. Does Thief feature "magic"?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Could anyone answer my two questions:

• Given it's been called a reboot, why does Garrett possess The Eye?
  • In the trailer while waiting in the dark alley way, we see Garrett exude dark smoke. Does Thief feature "magic"?

1. I don't think they've given a specific answer for this one, but I imagine it's for gameplay purposes, especially after how useful it was in 2 and 3. It's also another iconic element of the Thief series, plus it looks cool, and cool sells.

2. Thief does feature magic, mostly seen used by the Keepers, Pagans, and Hammerites. Most of Garrett's tools are practical in nature, though, so the smoke could be part of the cool factor of the advertising.

i-Lo

1. I don't think they've given a specific answer for this one, but I imagine it's for gameplay purposes, especially after how useful it was in 2 and 3. It's also another iconic element of the Thief series, plus it looks cool, and cool sells.

2. Thief does feature magic, mostly seen used by the Keepers, Pagans, and Hammerites. Most of Garrett's tools are practical in nature, though, so the smoke could be part of the cool factor of the advertising.

Ah, thanks. I have never played a single Thief game so I am not acquainted with the function/s of The Eye.

I'd love to see your gamer score lol :p

And what exactly would that prove
leo.png

You've been playing the wrong multiplayer games, Mr. Metalmurphy.

Do you mean games like Arma? It's only slow placed because of the huge maps.

A MP thief game would be closer to a MP game like Assassins Creed, in theory it sounds great, in reality all you get is a bunch of people running all the time after each other and being back stabbed in chain succession.

Do you mean games like Arma? It's only slow placed because of the huge maps.

A MP thief game would be closer to a MP game like Assassins Creed, in theory it sounds great, in reality all you get is a bunch of people running all the time after each other and being back stabbed in chain succession.

Tactical games, like Frozen Synapse and earlier rainbow Six stuff, bigger games like Crusader Kings 2 or the Civ series, even ye old Chromehounds or the new MechWarrior Online. I thought those were rewarding to a patient player.

I really don't see the point of "CG" trailers for next-gen. It's incredibly stupid and it totally undermines what proof-of-concept they are obviously going for when the gameplay is eventually revealed.

I really don't see the point of "CG" trailers for next-gen.

What do you mean by "next-gen?" I think this is Unreal Engine 3, isn't it?

And the point of these is just to generate hype. To get you excited about the game. I don't like CG trailers either, but I understand why they exist.

What do you mean by "next-gen?" I think this is Unreal Engine 3, isn't it?

And the point of these is just to generate hype. To get you excited about the game. I don't like CG trailers either, but I understand why they exist.

This game is confirmed to be a next-gen release. Obviously the graphics by then should be visually appeasing enough that you don't need to unnecessarily spend resources on CG trailers. More importantly, they can showcase NEW gameplay elements not previously seen this-gen with such visual fidelity.

Ign said it was unreal engine 4

I believe it was confirmed that it was a highly modified UE3 just like Star Wars 1313.

This game is confirmed to be a next-gen release. Obviously the graphics by then should be visually appeasing enough that you don't need to unnecessarily spend resources on CG trailers. More importantly, they can showcase NEW gameplay elements not previously seen this-gen with such visual fidelity.

I believe it was confirmed that it was a highly modified UE3 just like Star Wars 1313.

If it's Unreal Engine 3, modified or not, I don't think you can make a trailer with visuals that would come anywhere close to a CGI trailer. That engine... its aging quite a bit. And based on the screenshots I saw in the other thread, the visuals don't look too appealing.

Still not disagreeing with you that CG trailers are annoying - they are. But a lot of people will be disappointed to see a "next-gen" title with Unreal Engine 3 graphics.

I was pretty underwhelmed by this trailer, although I know it doesn't reflect the final product in the least. I guess I was expecting more because the Deus Ex: HR trailer was one of the best I've ever seen.

Top Bottom