• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief | Review thread

SJRB

Gold Member
I knew the game would suck. They should have made a faithful Thief game that was like the original series and not another COD Action game wannabe. It also rips off way too much of Dishonest. Be more original next time.

I know right? I hated the part where he called in a Predator drone to take out those guards.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. My Twitter stream would have you believe this game is one of the worst ever released, but all the reviews are like 7s and 7.5s. Nice.
Its also super dumb to see john walker out there complaining that console sites like call of duty andnot thief when the reviews for this aren't very bad.

Carcetti

Right. So there's no ultra sensitive/high risk surfaces like marble or metal? No low risk carpet? Ouch...

You basically hear the difference if you run on parkour speed which makes huge sounds, but otherwise NuGarrett has super quiet steps unless you step on glass or in a pool. Stone, wood, carpet doesn't seem to matter otherwise.

Conezays

The reviews aren't THAT bad, jeez. Game looks alright, but not worth the full $60 launch price for me. Will pick it up on the cheap later on.

Nintyb

Banned
Still gonna give it a rent. I didn't expect much, tbh. AAA games have been very hit and miss for a long time now.

3bdelilah

Banned
We really should quit with the whole "7 is bad" measures. I'm still going to buy this one, albeit after some time. But I go agree it kinda sucks they have the whole Predator play style and everything. Sure, it shouldn't be much trouble as long as they won't intervene with your Ghost playthrough. But still, SC Blacklist had that too and it was kind of a bummer.

Seems that way to me. Typical review scores for AAA games seem to be plummeting lately
Same with Lords of Shadow 2.

I think I questioned some of the low reviews because there's no way a game like that, or Thief, can be as bad as some of the lower scored games that deserved those bad scores.

And some giving DKC Tropical Freeze a 6? :O

Which is why reviews can be a finicky thing.

darkziosj

I knew the game would suck. They should have made a faithful Thief game that was like the original series and not another COD Action game wannabe. It also rips off way too much of Dishonest. Be more original next time.

Heh Dishonest that made me laugh, anyway no it's not a cod wanna be that's an exaggeration

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'll give an example of a tiny little irrelevant story arc that I think worked and why I wanted more of this in the main game. The hub is littered with glowing windows that can be pried open so you can loot the apartment. Many of the hub quests are centred around these, acting as basic one/two room fetch/loot quests. You'll be told X apartment/house has Y loot because reasons, and delegated with the task of breaking in and taking the goods.

It's trivial, but I'll spoiler tag what happens:
You're told a lass has many male admirers and visitors, who give her gifts. One in particular is a gold hairbrush and you should steal it. Sweet, whatever. You pry open the window into her bedroom to find her asleep in bed, a diary on the table next to her. Reading the diary you learn something new: her father/husband (cant remember which) hooks her up with men and takes their gifts from her for his wealth. In her diary she notes that she hates it, and her father keeps the gifts in a safe behind a painting downstairs. One night she hid in the closet opposite the safe, watcher her father open it, and etched the number into the side. She plans to take the goods herself and leave home.

Then you hear footsteps and realise you're not alone. Father is awake and downstairs, patrolling up every now and then to check on his daughter. You have to deal with him somehow, then find the painting, search around its sides for the open trigger to access the safe. Without a combination, you look across the opposite side of the room, referencing the diary, and low and behold there's a closet. Jump inside like you would any other closet in the game, "look" a little to the right while inside, and the numbers are etched into wood. Jump out, break open the safe, take the goods while Garrett makes a little quip about how how the values are now his.

It's all very short and meaningless, but this kind of agency, discovery driven story telling is stuff I wish was more present in the main mission.

SkylineRKR

We really should quit with the whole "7 is bad" measures. I'm still going to buy this one, albeit after some time. But I go agree it kinda sucks they have the whole Predator play style and everything. Sure, it shouldn't be much trouble as long as they won't intervene with your Ghost playthrough. But still, SC Blacklist had that too and it was kind of a bummer.

7 isn't bad, but its disappointing for a new Thief game. This is a long awaited game, and the first 2 are all time classics.

But we have to face it, we aren't going to get another experience like Thief 2. There is high stakes and a lot of focus testing nowadays.

Acorn

Still picking this up, I'm starved for new games. Worst comes to the worst I'll trade it in for something else.

Etnos

Banned
Those Kotaku and Ars Technica reviews.. So disapointing, how could they screwed up level design this badly!? I mean Thief was kind of all about good level design.

I'll give an example of a tiny little irrelevant story arc that I think worked and why I wanted more of this in the main game. The hub is littered with glowing windows that can be pried open so you can loot the apartment. Many of the hub quests are centred around these, acting as basic one/two room fetch/loot quests. You'll be told X apartment/house has Y loot because reasons, and delegated with the task of breaking in and taking the goods.

It's trivial, but I'll spoiler tag what happens:
You're told a lass has many male admirers and visitors, who give her gifts. One in particular is a gold hairbrush and you should steal it. Sweet, whatever. You pry open the window into her bedroom to find her asleep in bed, a diary on the table next to her. Reading the diary you learn something new: her father/husband (cant remember which) hooks her up with men and takes their gifts from her for his wealth. In her diary she notes that she hates it, and her father keeps the gifts in a safe behind a painting downstairs. One night she hid in the closet opposite the safe, watcher her father open it, and etched the number into the side. She plans to take the goods herself and leave home.

Then you hear footsteps and realise you're not alone. Father is awake and downstairs, patrolling up every now and then to check on his daughter. You have to deal with him somehow, then find the painting, search around its sides for the open trigger to access the safe. Without a combination, you look across the opposite side of the room, referencing the diary, and low and behold there's a closet. Jump inside like you would any other closet in the game, "look" a little to the right while inside, and the numbers are etched into wood. Jump out, break open the safe, take the goods while Garrett makes a little quip about how how the values are now his.

It's all very short and meaningless, but this kind of agency, discovery driven story telling is stuff I wish was more present in the main mission.

That sounds so good. Was that the only notable one or are there at least some other hub missions that are rewarding in the same way?

Kotaku Review said:
If all you want is to sneak through a seemingly endless parade of small areas while outmaneuvering dimwitted guards, Thief has got you covered.

If that's all it has to offer, I'll still take it.

Ogimachi

As usual, much of the criticism was harsh, yet the scores were good. I have to say, though, it's...interesting to see Kotaku being one of the most reasonable voices in the press, and RPS getting worse as time goes by.

As usual, much of the criticism was harsh, yet the scores were good. I have to say, though, it's...interesting to see Kotaku being one of the most reasonable voices in the press, and RPS getting worse as time goes by.

Because they didn't align with what you expected?

tbm24

Looking at the review score for the gametrailers review and then watching the video, I don't understand the score. What was shown/said seemed very appealing not all that negative. If the game is available right now, I'll pick it up on my way back from work.

Riposte

I'm completely indifferent to this game as of now (and until I play it), but it always weird to me when reviews are taken as the damning truth, even when those scores are not particularly damning(7~). I wonder what the very same folks would say in a thread titled "Do you trust videogame reviews?" I imagine thoughts such as difficulty setting, player skill, and genre familiarity would come up, as it usually does.

ps3ud0

Heartbreaking. I didn't know they'd gone this far in making some of the most vital tools useless. There really are no other words to describe it. Even with Deadly Shadows and its attempts to mainstream the series didn't go this far...

That's pretty much it for me, I've cancelled my pre-order. Will check it out when it hits the bargain bins.

Fuck...
Yeah this is where my head is at, kudos goes to the custom difficulties as that seems to address a lot of the 'accessibility' stuff that Thief just doesnt need. Indeed I think some reviews missed the opportunity to tweak these to readdress the basic issues/failings of the standard settings - it doesnt escape me that the best things to turn off are stuff that have been introduced in this game...

The main concerns for me now are the seemingly lack of threat of being seen/dealt with by enemies (I remember the old series that sense of dread was palpable at times); lack of intelligent use/restrictions of the inventory to ensure every item has its (repeated) use through the game and that item use in itself is a decision to be made; and the claim that the AI had to be supposedly dumbed down to be acceptable in a modern game - I cant fathom why when seen it is so easy to escape to obvious hiding places that arent checked by enemies when they search for you, nor that littered bodies isnt something to stir an alert!

ps3ud0 8)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That sounds so good. Was that the only notable one or are there at least some other hub missions that are rewarding in the same way?

Nothing springs to mind, but there's little things like that throughout. Another example, this time an optional treasure in one of the main missions:
you're infiltrating the Baron's castle, and can find his secret store room where he keeps a valuable gem. To access the gem you need to rotate sections of a small pillar lock so the interior mechanics align. To do so you need to look through a little hole, like a keyhole, in the device and memorise the position of the lock rings so you know which way to turn them and thus cause the bolt to fall through and unlock
. Garrett will always say something when he acquires the rare loot, too, related to its value and relevance to the game world.

I'm completely indifferent to this game as of now (and until I play it), but it always weird to me when reviews are taken as the damning truth, even when those scores are not particularly damning(7~). I wonder what the very same folks would say in a thread titled "Do you trust videogame reviews?" I imagine thoughts such as difficulty setting, player skill, and genre familiarity would come up, as it usually does.

I've wondered the same thing, especially on GAF where "lol games journalism" is a common theme, yet here we are, people taking the reviews for their words from publications that get called out all the time here.

This is coming from someone who doesn't expect Thief to be very good. I just don't understand some of the poster's flip flopping here.

Ogimachi

Because they didn't align with what you expected?
No, RPS very rarely aligns with what I expect, but they used to be consistent. Basically every single article/trailer post/preview so far has been negative, but on the review John Walker ignores severe flaws they've acknowledged and praises the game greatly.
Gives me the impression they simply want to swim against the tide, much like with the whole ME3 debacle.

ps3ud0

I don't recall there being much of a difference between stone and grass (for example), but there could have been. The main things to watch out for are broken glass and water.
Wow, they fucked up the sound design for a Thief game? Jesus thats impressive...

ps3ud0 8)

Vizzeh

Banned
Seems to me judging by the reviews that it is not a "must play" but a worthwhile to play, plus it does have pwetty gfx.

Also, with such high scores, averages and lows, im guessing it depends on the personaly type of the reviewer, im definitely picking this up when I get through a a couple of games I plan on beating.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No, RPS very rarely aligns with what I expect, but they used to be consistent. Basically every single article/trailer post/preview so far has been negative, but on the review John Walker ignores severe flaws they've acknowledged and praises the game greatly.
Gives me the impression they simply want to swim against the tide, much like with the whole ME3 debacle.

Or... maybe he just liked the game and had fun with it like he said in the article.

Hard to "swim against the tide" when you don't even give scores to games.

ironcreed

Banned
Well, I loved what footage I have watched. Got it on the way from Gamefly for the 360 and I think I'll enjoy my time with it.

Nothing springs to mind, but there's little things like that throughout. Another example, this time an optional treasure in one of the main missions:
you're infiltrating the Baron's castle, and can find his secret store room where he keeps a valuable gem. To access the gem you need to rotate sections of a small pillar lock so the interior mechanics align. To do so you need to look through a little hole, like a keyhole, in the device and memorise the position of the lock rings so you know which way to turn them and thus cause the bolt to fall through and unlock
. Garrett will always say something when he acquires the rare loot, too, related to its value and relevance to the game world.

That was an excellent part! I'd like to see the series feature more of that if we get another one. Still miffed about how hard it is to find levels again to replay them. Guess I need to look up a map online or something. I can't find but chapter 7 and 8.

justjim89

As disheartening as it is to see all these negative reviews and as bummed as I was this morning...

Off topic:
The WWE Network is pretty sweet. If wrestling is your thing you should check it out.

EatChildren

That was an excellent part! I'd like to see the series feature more of that if we get another one. Still miffed about how hard it is to find levels again to replay them. Guess I need to look up a map online or something. I can't find but chapter 7 and 8.

It's a pain. No idea where they are.

Do you think the PC version's design flaws can be improved/fixed by the community?

No, not really, because they're fundamental design issues that would require reworking entire level design. Won't matter if Garrett can suddenly jump everywhere, or rope arrows can stick to any wooden surface. Maybe some AI tweaks but I don't see that happening.

Much of the improvements the community could deliver are already present in the game. To the team's credit there's some good shit seasoned stealth/Thief players will want to turn on/off to make the experience as challenging and rewarding for them.

But I must stress I don't think it's a bad game.

Moff

wow, so we have almost everything from 35% to 90%

well, I tend to enjoy controversial games, so I'm looking forward to it
first missions werent that bad, certainly not 35% bad.

Nocturno999

No, not really, because they're fundamental design issues that would require reworking entire level design. Won't matter if Garrett can suddenly jump everywhere, or rope arrows can stick to any wooden surface. Maybe some AI tweaks but I don't see that happening.

Much of the improvements the community could deliver are already present in the game. To the team's credit there's some good shit seasoned stealth/Thief players will want to turn on/off to make the experience as challenging and rewarding for them.

But I must stress I don't think it's a bad game.

Thanks for answering.

I waited many years for this game and that's quite disappointing but I may get it in GMG for $33 with the promo code.

7 isn't bad, but its disappointing for a new Thief game. This is a long awaited game, and the first 2 are all time classics.

But we have to face it, we aren't going to get another experience like Thief 2. There is high stakes and a lot of focus testing nowadays.

The thing that people need to realise is that disappointment doesn't necessarily equate to the game being rubbish.

So apparently Rhianna Pratchett wrote the story for this reboot? That's Tomb Raider, Mirror's Edge, and Thief now where people have complained about weak stories. Why do we keep getting her to write videogames?

She did? Man... we're three for three on bad scripts from her recently if so. Not that we should expect a ton from the writer of Overlord and Heavenly Sword, but she's contributed to some good stuff before.

Top Bottom