• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief | Review thread

Tookay

Watched the Gametrailers review...

... Not really sure that the score lines up with the content of the review.

Of course, on a normal scale, 7.5 would be fine, but in game reviews, it's the sign of a larger problem with a game - one that isn't expounded upon in the review itself.

Dawg

I'm kinda surprised my 77/100 is on the higher end of the reviews, I expected a lot more 7s and maybe a few 8s.

Dyno

Will wait for NeoGAF impressions. If it's as good as Dishonoured then it's worth picking up after bomba.

Mman235

Wow. As a graphically strong and polished (in terms of presentation) AAA-game I was expecting about 75% minimum, but these scores are outright mediocre-bad by AAA standards.

SJRB

Gold Member
Thanks for helping me out by posting the reviews guys, much appreciated.

I think there's somewhat of a consensus visible now, game is a 7/10 on average. Which is not the end of the world, but it's not the killer we were hoping for either. Still looking forward to playing it later this week, seems they nailed the atmosphere and that is key for me personally. The amount of 6's is truly disappointing though.

antitrop

Adam Sessler's Likes:

- Compelling City design
- Garrett plays like a master thief

Dislikes:

- Story doesn't hold together
- Gameplay lacks invention
- Map is painfully oblique

Xater

Will wait for NeoGAF impressions. If it's as good as Dishonoured then it's worth picking up after bomba.

Dishonored actually got good reviews and was fun. Doubt GAF impressions will be more favorable than these reviews.

dmr87

For the PC people, TotalBiscuit's video. Probably getting the game since it's so cheap, need something to fiddle around with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJS1yCSKlhs&app=desktop

1h30min left on the GMG discount, O61269-BIMBGU-JRDM3J
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/thief-na/

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...rifter-but-delivers-some-of-the-goods-review/ 8/10

_________

The good

Garrett's new duck-and-swoop move is pretty slick.
Decent interface for stealth manuevers.

The Bad

The plot is an incoherent mess.
Seriously, the ending didn't make a lick of sense.
Hackneyed writing and wooden performances.
Level design is much too linear.
Guards are too sensitive to your every movement.
Guard AI is easy to outrun and easier to fool.
Lots of badly done, out-of-place platforming and puzzle bits.

The ugly

Why does every game have to have some mystical ghost bullshit these days?

Verdict: Go buy Dishonored instead. If you already own Dishonored, just play it again.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/02/review-thief-reboot-should-have-stayed-hidden/

_________

(Editor and co-director of Rock, Paper, Shotgun)
oU9.png

https://twitter.com/botherer/status/437952086425493504

Wow. As a graphically strong and polished (in terms of presentation) AAA-game I was expecting about 75% minimum, but these scores are outright mediocre-bad by AAA standards.

which is a bummer when gies mentions there are large framerate problems for both xb1 and ps4 versions.

moniker

knew it would be devisive.

you have the guys who wanted a re-tread of thief 2 (unrealistic expectations much?)

and you have the guys who never cared or who are open to change.

pre-order kept.

Or, you know, it has nothing to do with nostalgia and the game has issues.

kaioshade

Ah well, i bought this for 5 dollars, so hopefully it is at least worth that much. 6/7 across the board nearly. So should be fine for a weekend romp.

Scores are about what I expected. The game looked and seemed mediocre and bland from the day it was first shown. Just seems like an average game.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
You'd think everyone gave it a 4/10 by the reactions in here...

As someone who wasn't really a Thief fan before, this looks fun, I need something to play, and since I had no real expectations, I'm in.

Right. Given the shit that has been dumped on this game from Day 1, I expected to see 3's and 4's across the board. These game reviews scream "rental" or "wait for price drop" to me.

Dion

Banned
If the mainstream reviewers hate this game. I can tell right now. I will absolutely love it. Can't wait to play it.

masteratt

I was wondering if I was reading the wrong numbers with the reactions here, then I understand it's accepted the scale is 7-10 for AAA games.

Why is this just accepted? Seems so mental.

So I guess we are reading this more like 4 and 5s.

Seems like this is a polarizing game. Folks are either going to like it or think it's "meh."

Looks like the review average is going to be somewhere around 6.5 it's all said and done, which is admittedly disappointing.

Bricky

Eh, I'm one of those weird people who even enjoyed stuff like Hitman: Absolution and *gasp* Splinter Cell: Conviction (yes, really), so I think I'll pick it up once it gets a patch or two and digital prices have hit rock bottom because of it not being an 80+ on Metacritic.

I predict all of Stealth-loving GAF will still buy it as soon as Steam Summer Sale hits.

Looks like the flaws all of us saw early on and in the recent streams were too obvious to ignore.

Or the overwhelming prerelease negativity trended the review scores downwards. Nothing is ever reviewed in a vacuum after all. I'm expecting this to be one of those games that people are saying "woah I overlooked this at launch because of the terrible press but actually I'm enjoying it" a year from now. I see people saying nice things about a piece of utter shit like Remember Me so why the hell not?

FHIZ

7-10 review scale. 6 or 7 is the lowest they'll ever give to a high budget game from a big publisher in most cases, with 5 and under usually being reserved for shovelware and joke reviews.

Have we really gotten to the point where okay review scores mean the game might as well be at the bottom of the barrel? By the look of this, the game is probably going to average around a 7... Not the end of the world, by any means.

Or the overwhelming prerelease negativity trended the review scores downwards. Nothing is ever reviewed in a vacuum after all. I'm expecting this to be one of those games that people are saying "woah I overlooked this at launch because of the terrible press but actually I'm enjoying it" a year from now. I see people saying nice things about a piece of utter shit like Remember Me so why the hell not?

Hey remember me has beautiful art, skyboxes and a great use of color (just wrapped around an awful game)

If a studio with competent developers hired their artists I would be really excited

Dawg

Looks like the flaws all of us saw early on and in the recent streams were too obvious to ignore.

It certainly is flawed and I knew it was no 8+ material, but I still liked it. I don't know, it was a strange game. Story was weak, but I liked the atmosphere, the stealth and general feeling of the game. So yeah, I'm surprised by these reviews.

And yeah, even after seeing all these 6s... I still think it's worth the 7.7 I gave it.

inm8num2

It's reviewing a little better than I thought based on some of the higher scores, but I haven't actually read those reviews yet. Will dig into them and the videos a bit later today.

This might be the faintest praise I've seen in awhile.

"Eh, I expect several 'LTTP: This shit game is pretty decent!' threads in the future!"

coughlanio

7/10 from EDGE is enough to make me think it can't be that bad.

Thankfully I got it for free, already preloaded on Steam.

Moff

pretty much. when you have a great series being re-imagined by todays console centric cod standards, then yes.

not necessarily
human revolution, by the same studio - but not the same team, was very good

but in the case of thief, developer comments and details revealed months ago that this will not be a good game

dreamfall

Well, it seemed doomed from the start- I'm sure it'll be a fun romp when it goes on sale for very cheap.

But Hamilton mentions that Rhianna Pratchett was one of the lead writers? Oh, goodness. After Tomb Raider, I figure that maybe I'll need to stay away a bit longer (though I did enjoy Heavenly Sword).

Pour it out for Derrick.

Top Bottom