• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief | Review thread

antitrop

Right now, the PS4 version of Thief is sitting at a 72 Meta Score, since when was that bad? Heck, even the Xbox One Meta of 68 isnt horrible.

For a AAA game, an 8 is about average. The only way to see 6s and 7s as "decent" scores, is to completely ignore the relation of the scores to other similarly produced games.

Dahaka

Will play with the tears of a missed opportunity.

Played on PC, Master Custom difficulty, Focus ability locked off. Note: You can play through the entire game comfortably without using focus. It's not a busted, gameplay integral ability.

Thx, saves this game for me.

For a AAA game, an 8 is about average. The only way to see 6s and 7s as "decent" scores, is to completely ignore the relativity of the scores to other similarly produced games.

The average for AAA games seems to be dropping fairly quickly, and I can see it getting closer to 7 over the next year or so. More publications seem to be giving lower scores in order to establish some sense of credibility (Polygon and Rev3 for example). I think this is good since it means a larger range of the 10 point scale can now be used. Some decent games will get caught in this transition, though, and I think we can see this in the recent console launch review scores.

Kouichi

6-8 was the range I was expecting based off all the negativity leading up to its release, so I'm not surprised. From what I've watched and read, it seems like I'll still enjoy this despite the flaws. I'm glad it wasn't a complete train wreck, haha.

This..
like most, i remember when a 6 or a 7 was a bloody great game. nowadays people throw shit if a game gets that. let's drop the scoring system and use 5 stars or something. i'm definately getting this now i know it's a decent game. if it got 4's then i'd stay well away but come on, those scores are pretty decent.

There have been plenty of 6 - 8 rated games over the years that I have thoroughly enjoyed, looking forward to getting it this week i'm in day one...

Fantastic review, EatChildren. (also subbed to the channel so I don't miss any other reviews)

Anyway, it pretty much confirmed my feelings about the game after watching it on Livesteam on PS4.

Disappointing to hear about the story and the fact that enemy encounters have lost their tension as well as items not feeling necessary. That part at 6.50 where the guard is walking towards Garrett, he should be able to see him clearly and yet...nothing.

Jesus Christ....

Pretty tempted to cancel my pre-order and pick it up sub £20...

Oh, and hodge-podge. This isn't used anywhere near enough. Jolly good to hear it used.

p0V7Yu8.png

LOL.
Damn near spit out my water once I saw that. Well done.

These scores are actually higher than I expected.

A 6/10 for a AAA game is about as low as they will ever score. That puts it at Medal of Honor: Warfighter tier.

That's a good point.

Akira83

Banned
For a AAA game, an 8 is about average. The only way to see 6s and 7s as "decent" scores, is to completely ignore the relation of the scores to other similarly produced games.

So if I display a row of numbers from 1-10 and ask you to point to the number that would best represent the median... You would pick 8?

Math how does it work?

And lol at AAA games averaging about 8. AAA games Are like all others... All over the damn place. Assuming when you refer to AAA you are basing that on budget

Sendou

How do you know its bad if you haven't played it. Reviews are opinion.. Not fact.

Again: generally speaking.

But in this specific case I would say that I can't be possibly expected to check out every game in this world that reviews poorly. Such is life. Full of choices and compromises.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
So if I display a row of numbers from 1-10 and ask you to point to the number that would best represent the median... You would pick 8?

Math how does it work?
We know publisher cancel games.

You're basically saying that publishers are completely inept when it comes to game development and have no people in charge that can determine quality so the chance of hitting any review score is equally likely.

Common sense how does it work?

Dommo

A lot of the reviews from the big publications play like they're using Thief as a scapegoat to gain credibility. It seems like they all got the memo that this wasn't getting positive hype and just threw it under the bus. And that comes from someone expecting the worst, ready to hate the game. But honestly, the reviews just don't make it look any worse than your average AAA schlock. Uneven storyline? What story in a AAA game isn't uneven? Or downright awful?

I mean, this game in no way looks to compare to the original two, but no modern AAA game is really there at this point.

antitrop

Math how does it work?
What? I'm saying that, in general, game reviewers tend to err towards the highest end of the scale when it comes to games with high production values and high budgets (AAA). Has nothing to do with the median.

How do you know its bad if you haven't played it. Reviews are opinion.. Not fact.

I'm one of the reviewers that tends to focus more on the positive then the negative, and while I still enjoyed it, there is no opinion on the game being rough at moments, the long load times, the confusing layouts, and the typical AI, that's just plain truth. Even I can see it. What won me over was the games atmosphere, missions, and different ways to progress and items to use to your liking.

Fbh

I'm a bit surprised by the low scores.

Still, I've been watching some video reviews and quite honestly the content shown and some of the stuff they say about the game don't sound half bad.

Mabye not good enough for a day 1 purchase but I'll probably get this after a price drop. If it doesn't sell that well I can already see this comming to PS+ in a few months

Akira83

Banned
We know publisher cancel games.

You're basically saying that publishers are completely inept when it comes to game development and have no people in charge that can determine quality so the chance of hitting any review score is equally likely.

Common sense how does it work?

I'm not disputing that devs and pubs put out games that are knowingly bad all the time

I'm disputing that 8 is average and these scores of 6-8 are considered bad

If this was scoring a 2-3 then we will talk

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Blink Me

Thief got Absolutioned. Sad times. Maybe there will be a silver lining and we'll get a HD update of the original trilogy since I've never played any of them and have heard good things about them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm open to any questions, too.

Sanctuary

Sigh. As impossible as it seems, the newest Thief is actually worse than the third game. Wonder what kind of game we would have gotten if the last gen never existed.

Thief got Absolutioned. Sad times. Maybe there will be a silver lining and we'll get a HD update of the original trilogy since I've never played any of them and have heard good things about them.

I have only played II, and that was two months ago, and man... it was awesome. It has aged so well.

Nice avatar by the way. :)

Dommo

Human Revolution got close. Thats thing. Previews werent making the game look awful at every bend.

I really don't think it did. Human Revolution was a fantastic game in the context of a watered down, risk-free industry, but it doesn't hold a candle to the original Thief games. Either way, Thief shouldn't be compared specifically to the developers' previous efforts (which wasn't even the same team) but to the industry as a whole. Obviously I haven't played it, but it's gonna take some straight up bullshit to have a worse story than something like Far Cry 3.

I'm not disputing that devs and pubs put out games that are knowingly bad all the time

5 and below is a scale of "how bad is it", 6 and up is "how good is it". So a 6 is the least good it can be without being bad. Of course anything 5 or below isn't even worth considering, so 6 - 10 is the only range that matters. So among scores that actually matter, 6 is bad and 8 is average.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

My point is that publisher are opting to go ahead with games that are of a certain quality.

You can have an average of 8 because of the inherent bias that publishers exert.

I don't know if that is the actual average but there is nothing mathematically impossible about that due to the selection by risk-averse publishers.

IcyEyes

I'm one of the reviewers that tends to focus more on the positive then the negative, and while I still enjoyed it, there is no opinion on the game being rough at moments, the long load times, the confusing layouts, and the typical AI, that's just plain truth. Even I can see it. What won me over was the games atmosphere, missions, and different ways to progress and items to use to your liking.

This is pretty important for some people !

Ps If you have played this game on PS4, how about the frame rate ?

Top Bottom