• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief | Review thread

Blizzard

Banned
Reviews don't sound great, so I should presumably feel bad about preordering it and getting TF2 items. They -are- kind of neat though.

That said, maybe it's to my benefit if I go ahead and play this, since I also own two or three OTHER games in the Thief series, and I can then play those later. Maybe I'll be saving the best for last!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Did Thief get Absolutioned? And what does it mean to get Absolutioned?

"Absolutioned" to me would imply a core component of the franchise's iconic design has been changed (or removed) in such a significant way that it disrupts the game as a whole. Absolution's new disguise system ripples throughout the entire game, changing the very foundation of level design and social stealth puzzling, for the worse. It's an unnecessary, illogical change that dismantles already serviceable game systems.

Thief is not "Absolutioned" because to me that would imply that the core stealth system has been disrupted in such a way that it's in no way "Thief". You still have to sneak in Thief. You'll still need to pay very close attention to your positioning among light and shadows, as well as the sound you produce based on speed and surface. It's still, at it's heart, a Thief game. But it's also a much simpler Thief, limited in scope of level design and challenge.

Case in point: I managed to clear around half the game without using a single water and rope arrow. The design isn't challenging enough to demand their use and economising of your equipment mid level.

Kade

Better than I expected. I imagine the scores are only that high because of presentation and polish (budget).

Akira83

Banned
5 and below is a scale of "how bad is it", 6 and up is "how good is it". So a 6 is the least good it can be without being bad. Of course anything 5 or below isn't even worth considering, so 6 - 10 is the only range that matters. So among scores that actually matter, 6 is bad and 8 is average.

Not even worth considering? Fuck that scale

I've played many games below 50 on metacritic that were awesome

Xater

"Absolutioned" to me would imply a core component of the franchise's iconic design has been changed (or removed) in such a significant way that it disrupts the game as a whole. Absolution's new disguise system ripples throughout the entire game, changing the very foundation of level design and social stealth puzzling, for the worse. It's an unnecessary, illogical change that dismantles already serviceable game systems.

Thief is not "Absolutioned" because to me that would imply that the core stealth system has been disrupted in such a way that it's in no way "Thief". You still have to sneak in Thief. You'll still need to pay very close attention to your positioning among light and shadows, as well as the sound you produce based on speed and surface. It's still, at it's heart, a Thief game. But it's also a much simpler Thief, limited in scope of level design and challenge.

Case in point: I managed to clear around half the game without using a single water and rope arrow. The design isn't challenging enough to demand their use and economising of your equipment mid level.

Wut? God I still remember using a water arrow being a hard decision int he old games...

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
So can we expect this to be another earnings disappointment for Squenix-Eidos?

I was kind of hoping the score would be higher but at the same time I'm not surprised. Still will give this a run but it made it from my "OMFG GOTTA PLAYS ITS!" list to my "if I have time" list.

Jharp

I have the game paid for and preloaded on Steam right now, and it's somewhat disappointing to hear all this.

I'm still keeping my hopes up for it being an enjoyable game, though. Hopefully it will be a flawed gem, like an Alpha Protocol.

I doubt it will top Dishonored, though, but then, I never expected it to.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Did you play any of the older Thief games? What elements did you feel that it retained?

Yes, I've played all original three games. I feel it retained the atmosphere and world building as well as core stealth system. See review.

What did you have for breakfast this morning?

A cup of tea, an apple, and a slice of toast with peanut butter.

Is there a horror level? if so how does it compare to the horror levels on the previous games?

Yes, a clear homage to Shalebridge Cradle. I don't think it's as good, but has its moments.

Was it fun overall? Length?

Yes, though had some flat stretches and moments. Scored it 3/5. Took me ~15 hours with around 50% of "side quests" finished, Master Custom (focus off) difficulty), nowhere close to all loot discovered. But I play very slowly. Completionists will take longer.

Seems to be in-line with what I expected from it. I still want to get this game eventually for PS4, but I will wait until it has a substantial price drop.

EatChildren

Wut? God I still remember using a water arrow being a hard decision int he old games...

Right, this is a problem with Thief. They're there, they're very useful because they do their job, but the encounters are so much smaller, the AI ill-equipped to hunt you over wide areas, areas themselves smaller, and Garrett so well equipped with basic abilities that they're not necessary. Where once upon a time a water arrow was a high value resources because you knew you'd have to use them but also didn't want to waste, that's far less of a problem here because you don't really need them. Using them makes the game easier again.

I'm wondering how performance is on pc, what your specs are, and if there are several frame drops in the game.

i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz
8GB DDR3
4GB 770GTX

1920x1080
Everything set absolute maximum
FXAA turned off
SSAA set to high (not sure it worked)

Pretty sure it not once dipped below 60fps and in many cases ran well over. In the grand scheme of things it's one of the best performing games I've played on my system in a long time.

Protip: the volume in your video is too low.

Cheers. Seemed fine on my end :/. Audio editing is my weakness.

Is it condensed to one chapter only? I saw a tidbit of it on a livestream yesterday and I didn't like it one bit.

The location is. The themes extend beyond.

LoveCake

What versions are the reviews based on though ?

This is released on PC, PS4, PS3, X1 & X360, there must be differences between the Gen's.

I wonder if the X1, PS4 & PC versions have been toned down because of the PS3 & X360 ports ?

I currently have this on pre-order for the PS4.

Finalizer

p0V7Yu8.png

#freederrick, if just for today.

codhand

Thanks EatChildren, sounds good to me. I played up to mission 16 on Thief Gold, this new one sounds enjoyable. I too like crappy Tenchu games as another poster mentioned, so I'm ok with idiotic AI, as long as the focus is on stealth.

Raven77

With the development hell, the rush to make it as close to next-gen launch window as possible, and the technical issues...

Do you think its possible they could release a patch / update of some kind a few months down the line that addresses the AI issues, bugs, and maybe even fix some of the content like the confusingly annoying hub city and some of the other content gripes like having to open each drawer individually? It's been done before (Witcher 2) but not often...

codhand

With the development hell, the rush to make it as close to next-gen launch window as possible, and the technical issues...

Do you think its possible they could release a patch / update of some kind a few months down the line that addresses the AI issues, bugs, and maybe even fix some of the content like the confusingly annoying hub city and some of the other content gripes like having to open each drawer individually? It's been done before (Witcher 2) but not often...

Well I think CD projekt is unique in this respect, plus the things you mentioned arent outright broken like many things in Witcher games can be. I have a feeling Eidos is done spending time and money on this game.

EatChildren

What versions are the reviews based on though ?

This is released on PC, PS4, PS3, X1 & X360, there must be differences between the Gen's.

I wonder if the X1, PS4 & PC versions have been toned down because of the PS3 & X360 ports ?

I currently have this on pre-order for the PS4.

Reviews are based on whichever version the outlet requested, though I wouldn't be surprised if they were handing out next gen versions only. My review copy was PC. The game isn't the most technologically amazing out there, but the tech comes together with the art and it ends up looking really good to me. Load times are too frequent in the hub, and those coupled with smaller environments are to me indicative of a game that's still built for PS3/X360 compatibility.

I took these shots:

thief47akea.png

thief5lkk9w.png

Thanks EatChildren, sounds good to me.

No worries.

EGM1966

Reading a few of those this isn't for me other than a low price nosy later on to see for myself how they missed out on delivering what I was hoping for.

The lukewarm plot and "plague" sounds way to familiar and TBH I'm sorry to read the more complex world of the original Thief games has been supplanted in favour of a vague medieval slant.

Gameplay sounds okay but too limited - from the reviews sounds like the context based equipment/climbing, etc. is all too limiting.

Pity as I loved the Dues EX reboot - but Dues Ex was always going to be easier (as a series based on multiple choices involving stealth/combat whatever you want with plenty to appeal broadly) reboot than Thief (which was all about variety in being stealthy).

Not even worth considering? Fuck that scale

I've played many games below 50 on metacritic that were awesome

The scale is fine. I always hear complaints about reviewers not using the full scale, but the reality is that there just aren't that many games that make it all the way through to release that are truly awful enough to score that low. Something like Aliens: Colonial Marines is really kind of a rarity. Mostly they are at least functional and palatable enough to get average scores, even if they have to be delayed extensively just to reach that point.

depends how it sells

Will be a waste of resources most likely ( in the publisher's eyes)

I doubt they will fix the hub. Bugs and content gripes are probably your best bet.

Dommo

See, because here's the thing. We've all been kicking up a huge fuss about things like Focus, waypoints and contextualized jumping, because these are things that go against the original games' principles and mechanics. And so the reviews do well to mention these 'hand holding monstrosities' but this is so bizarre because none of these elements are odd in the context of other AAA games. No one ever said that the Arkham games suffer from having the Bat-vision. Reviews never mention waypoint markers as a negative in games these days. Only because a fuss was kicked up this time around has Thief been thrown under the bus.

v0mitg0d

(Reposting this from the main thread)

Reviewers! Question for you:

Old school fan here. I've decided to play the game at Master level with Waypoints disabled. I am, however, unsure how to handle the Focus system now that I've read it's an upgrade system allowing for improvements in Marksmanship and picking locks.

I'm having second thoughts. Did you play with Focus enabled? How difficult is the game without it? I'm worried the game was designed with the Focus system enabled, which kind of bums me out if true.

Thoughts and suggestions? Thanks!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
See, because here's the thing. We've all been kicking up a huge fuss about things like Focus, waypoints and contextualized jumping, because these are things that go against the original games' principles and mechanics. And so the reviews do well to mention these 'hand holding monstrosities' but this is so bizarre because none of these elements are odd in the context of other AAA games. No one ever said that the Arkham games suffer from having the Bat-vision. Reviews never mention waypoint markers as a negative in games these days. Only because a fuss was kicked up this time around has Thief been thrown under the bus.
Bat-vision was heavily criticized and called overpowered and called detrimental to the game's aesthetics as the great art was hidden for long times.

Top Bottom