• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thimbleweed Park - a Ron Gilbert game |OT| Thirty-scumm years of adventures

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Yeah, John Walker's right about this. I keep noticing that I can't look at certain things, or interact with things in a way that don't necessarily follow critical path but give you fun feedback like in the old school games. I'm going to give them the benefit of it being a very small and low budget project but I get disappointed regularly at my inability to dick around like I'd want to.

This game is so amazing. Even the story is very interesting. X-Files, Twin Peaks....yeah...it's a love letter to these series and old school adventure games. This is my GOTY so far and I've played Zelda, Yakuza, Nier and Horizon

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else playing without voices? I was finding it a bit awkward to start. Does it improve at all?

The voices are solid, I really like Ray and Delores's performances. Ransome the insult clown is a stand-out you definitely don't want to miss his VA.

I just
Decoded the will using Chuck's lottery number
any idea how close I am to finishing the game?

Man I hope this game sells well. I really don't understand why P%C adventures are dead. These games are so much fun. Sad times.

Yeah, he's pretty good. Before Thimbleweed Park came out I hadn't heard a "I'm sleeping with your mum" joke in years

I love his puzzles. They're pretty fun and his dialogue is amazing.

bede-x

Can anyone playing on XB1 comment on the ease of control? Does using analog sticks compromise the experience? (compared to using a mouse)

I'm on Xbox and have only tried it briefly. Just wanted to see it before I went to bed. It seems to work like you'd expect. Left analog stick to move the cursor (right stick moves the cursor at a slower speed), A or X to interact with something, double tap A or X to make the character move quicker or hold them down to make him/her follow the cursor, and bumpers to jump between interactive objects when the cursor is near them. I've no idea if there are small hidden interactive points that would make it annoying with a joypad later on, but if there aren't, I'd prefer to have a button that highlights everything that can be interacted with, instead of their bumper solution. That could spoil the design a little though, if hidden objects are a thing..

When you look at something from the inventory, you can go back by pressing an icon in the corner or just use the B button, so that's nice. And the D-pad let's you jump between the items in your inventory and the commands, while L and R switches character.

It's somewhat compromised as to be expected, but seems to work decently enough under the circumstances. Some will no doubt be annoyed by it and a mouse is obviously better. If you already suspect you might feel that way, go with the PC version.

poncle

Just finished Ransome's flashback, made me laugh way too hard, way too often. I've totally lost it when
I've been verbally abused by him for not picking up his hints about the poster

I'm just 2 hours in but this is a great game, got tons of references (that staircase!), and spooked me a couple of times too so far.

spock

Just saw and heard about this. In bed now but buying this on Xbox one in the morning. This might take my attention if Zelda for a bit.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I feel like I'm really missing something here, but I'm stuck in the beginning of the hotel flashback, and all I can figure out is that one of the floors has more interactivity than the others but that's about it...

You'll need a disguise, some gum, a piece of paper, and a photo. Two of them you can find in the lobby, and the other two you can get on the 10th (?) floor?
Ok...I feel like I have no idea where to proceed after being able to trade with the kid but having nothing to trade. And gum?

Erekiddo

Ok...I feel like I have no idea where to proceed after being able to trade with the kid but having nothing to trade. And gum?

give him a bear

I'm liking this game a lot. Only thing that hung me up so far was obtaining a nickel, although I know what I needed to do, just not where. But then I saw
the recycling sign

I unlocked all characters and hoping it doesn't quickly become overwhelming.

halfbeast

Banned
for some reason I "accidentally" do puzzles I'm not aware of yet, while trying to figure another one out. in the mansion flashback I got
the ink while trying to get my glass of water to steam, it felt like the obvious solution, although I thought it was about opening the letter at first. had no clue what I needed the ink for.

now in chapter 4 I have the
spooky sounding record, the one character who isn't afraid of heights but have zero clue what it's for. while also trying to figure out why I have to fix a broken clock other than "because it's in the game".

I feel like I keep stumbling into solutions than working towards the objectives. the apparent puzzles seem sometimes so far apart from the objectives, I just do them, because they're doable.

Sloane

Banned
I need sales numbers
Too early for SteamSpy but not looking too hot so far going by the Steam Top Sellers as well as player and review count.

Game is really, really good though, despite the relatively low budget showing at times and the writing being a bit iffy. Ron still knows how to make a great adventure game!

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I used the photo of the body in the photo machine in the coroners office straight away after getting there, nothing happened after I'm just wondering, I need to do something else's with it? I haven't broken the game?

I mean, I've only just started you see, if so, I'll start again. Or do I go back to it later in the game?

Shinjica

I used the photo of the body in the photo machine in the coroners office straight away after getting there, nothing happened after I'm just wondering, I need to do something else's with it? I haven't broken the game?

I mean, I've only just started you see, if so, I'll start again. Or do I go back to it later in the game?

you have to put two item to recieve something. speak again with the machine and it will explain his use

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
you have to put two item to recieve something. speak again with the machine and it will explain his use

Yeah, I just wondered if I had to put both things in at the same time or if I can come back later if I did the first bit too soon?

Harmen

Totally missed this, looks cool! Despite not growing up with Lucas Arts adventures, I really hold them dear after playing some on recent years. Will probably buy it if it is out on PS4 or Android.

buttdiver

I'm on Xbox and have only tried it briefly. Just wanted to see it before I went to bed. It seems to work like you'd expect. Left analog stick to move the cursor (right stick moves the cursor at a slower speed), A or X to interact with something, double tap A or X to make the character move quicker or hold them down to make him/her follow the cursor, and bumpers to jump between interactive objects when the cursor is near them. I've no idea if there are small hidden interactive points that would make it annoying with a joypad later on, but if there aren't, I'd prefer to have a button that highlights everything that can be interacted with, instead of their bumper solution. That could spoil the design a little though, if hidden objects are a thing..

When you look at something from the inventory, you can go back by pressing an icon in the corner or just use the B button, so that's nice. And the D-pad let's you jump between the items in your inventory and the commands, while L and R switches character.

It's somewhat compromised as to be expected, but seems to work decently enough under the circumstances. Some will no doubt be annoyed by it and a mouse is obviously better. If you already suspect you might feel that way, go with the PC version.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Too early for SteamSpy but not looking too hot so far going by the Steam Top Sellers as well as player and review count.

Game is really, really good though, despite the relatively low budget showing at times and the writing being a bit iffy. Ron still knows how to make a great adventure game!

Every Adventure Gamer who still lives and breathes should be buying this

Dsyndrome

what specifically here is an homage to twin peaks or x-files
Off the top of my head, Agents Ray and Reyes as Mulder and Scully, quirky citizens like the Pigeon Sisters (akin to the Log Lady), the references to coffee and pie. Probably a ton more, I'm only at Delores's flashback now.

Off the top of my head, Agents Ray and Reyes as Mulder and Scully, quirky citizens like the Pigeon Sisters (akin to the Log Lady), the references to coffee and pie. Probably a ton more, I'm only at Delores's flashback now.

Well the corpse right at the beginning, too :D
There are lots of references in this game!

mattiewheels

Once you're reminded of Tommy Wiseau every time Reyes speaks, it's hard to get that out of your head.

Randam

And I'm completely stuck already not that far into the game.

Guess I'm overseeing a way to a location or a gameplay feature..

Completed this earlier today, very happy that at no point did I have to look for hints. Every puzzle in the game is logical. Had a blast playing through, really hope this makes enough money for Ron to continue making P&C games.

halfbeast

Banned
And I'm completely stuck already not that far into the game.

Guess I'm overseeing a way to a location or a gameplay feature..

a safe way to make sure you don't get stuck is to pick up everything you can. if it's interactable, it's mostly part of a puzzle. there's only one item (so far) that's hidden and it only comes into play much later.

also, took me a while to realize you can look at the
map
and click on the
hotel
I just click on it on the
map
instead of using the
elevator

If an item has zero use, you can throw it in a bin I believe.

I only did that with the plastic can holder thing though, I think other items got "cleaned" between acts.

Randam

a safe way to make sure you don't get stuck is to pick up everything you can. if it's interactable, it's mostly part of a puzzle. there's only one item (so far) that's hidden and it only comes into play much later.

also, took me a while to realize you can look at the
map
and click on the
hotel
I just click on it on the
map
instead of using the
elevator
I'm not that far yet.
Have to look for the map. And some other stuff.

Any tips of what all to do?
Should I start combining stuff? (can you even do that?)
Or trying to give everything I have to everyone?

But I pretty sure I missed an item or a way you can go.

SMG

So is this legit? How does it compare to the lukewarm (imho) The Cave and Broken Age?
Cave was garbage, Broken Age was good but very uneven, (so far) Thimbleweed Park is fantastic and one of the better paced point and clicks I've played.

So is this legit? How does it compare to the lukewarm (imho) The Cave and Broken Age?

It's better then The Cave, in the sense that Ron Gilbert is obviously more comfortable with this type of gameplay, then platforming.

I'm still not that far into Thimbleweed, those who have played it longer and even beat it might correct me, But based on what I played:

Graphics: Well, that depends of what you like the most. Both games excel with their own styles, with Thimbleweeds great pixel graphics, and Broken Age's great handdrawn paintings.

Puzzles: Broken Age easies you into it, and gradually gets more difficult, and as such ended up being a too easy to begin with. Thimbleweed lets you loose with lots of objectives, characters and inventory items from the get go.

Voice Overs - Broken Age had pretty great voice overs. Thimbleweed almost makes me want to disable them. NPC's are often better then the cast though.

Dialogues - So far, Broken Age wins this, with really funny dialogues with a great flow. Thimbleweed has a lot of great dialogues, but also a lot of very cringe worthy, and takes references to other adventure games too far. I hope it easies up on this.

Story: Haven't beaten Thimbleweed, but I think it will win this. So far att pretty great mystery, that creates a great atmosphere. Broken Age started well, but got a bit messy towards the end.

Interface: Well, pretty self explanatory from pics from the games. I'm one of those who feels like the verb interface is a bit unneccessary and just adds extra clicks, but the game delivered what it promised here.

Turnbl

Have just downloaded the backer gog version (although seem to have a steam key as well?). Excited to relive my youth.

Does anybody know how far into the storyline the phone book answerphone recordings become available?

Top Bottom