• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things that instantly turn you off from games.

EL CUCO

Fucking beat me to it.

Son of a
(My line!)

oXeNjfF.jpg

:p

Long, unskippable tutorials which feature voice overs. Two that come to mind - Little Big Karting with Steven Frey going slowly and painfully every little detail that could be explained quickly in one sentence. It's supposed to be charming, but I find it annoying as hell. And way back in the day Burnout 3 where you had to listen to DJ Stryker explain for way too fucking long about crashing and how to boost.. You just want to play, but you're forced to listen to this bullshit. Anything unskippable is incredibly irritating, actually.

Also, and this seems to be a Japanese thing - when there's a cut scene or a narration and the voice actor speaks soooo slooowly. Like in Deadly Premonition where you first meet the twins in angel form. "This....won't....take....long." Yes it will, you little bastard, get on with it. Or some of the narration in Final fantasy FF XIV's cut scenes.

A cluttered HUD. Let me see the fucking game world dammit. The HUD should be customizable in every game. Let me choose if I want interactive / key items to glow in the game, or tool tips popping up over every thing. UbiSoft drives me crazy with the amount of information they spoon feed you instead of letting you explore.

Marjar

Banned
- Red jelly on the screen
- Subscription fee
- Sandbox game (they just bore me for whatever reason)
- 2D Platformer with a twist! (just oversaturated these days)
- Scantily clad women
- EA logo
- trailer using the buzzwordiest of buzzwords ever (epic! atmospheric! immersive!)

• Excessive handholding.
  • Microtransactions.
  • Poor performance.
  • Too much text, especially if it's poorly written.
And that's pretty much it.

Jamix012

- The ATB battle system
- Games running at half speed. I don't care about FPS all that much, but please don't actually have slow down in your game (New Little King's Story - Vita)

Shmuppers

You know, the thing where, as soon as you find out the game has it or is it, you don't want to play the game anymore. No thought or rationality is involved here, you just lose interest immediately.

I don't expect there to be any attempt for you to defend your gaming turnoffs, as they are almost by definition irrational turnoffs that don't take into account counter-examples.

Okay, let's begin.

For me:

-Anything with an anime art style.
-Anything on a handheld or smartphone.(just not comfortable to play)
-Scantily-clad woman on front cover (this just screams "pandering to 13-year-olds")
-Motion controls (stopped playing the Wii after 2007 because of this)
-MMOs
-Generic title, like "Rise of the" or "Reckoning" or "Unleashed" or "Evolution" or what have you

So, GAF, how about you? What "features" virtually ensure that you'll never play a game?

May I ask what about an anime artstyle turns you off to a game?

Arklite

Usually the art, though I've got nothing against any particular art style, just case by case. For example in western RPGs I find Skyrim to be fine, but Fable to be ugly.

Anything that looks like the artists couldn't give any less of a shit about appealing to women. Like Dragon's Crown (makes me embarrassed to be a gamer).

Also when you're watching a JRPG gameplay video hoping for kingdom Hearts gameplay and it ends up looking about as fun as calculus. I'm looking at you X! Such a disappointment.

dab0ne

When fights don't make sense. For example: When C4 doesn't hurt a dude in a bomb suit but your fists do.

When enemies can't hurt each other. If the game is really fun I can tolerate it but I absolutely hate it.

Just one ,...

Long, difficult button learning-curves which don't adhere to traditional layouts from similar titles of the genre.
For example racing, which most arcade-based games tend to have a pretty common layout, here came NFS Rivals and threw everything out the window.

Another example could be fighting games ... ughhh !!!

BouncyFrag

Hazard platforming levels with some sort of rising body that will insta-kill you (water, lava, spiked floor, etc) when touched.

n0tail

Banned
Time limits: Do not like them at all. Like, rush out of there within 5 minutes.

Collect X: Collecting things like flowers, leather or whatever crap they tell me to. NOPE. Uninstalled Far Cry 3 immediately when they told me to collect flowers. I HATE that stuff.

ChuyMasta

Ohh, another thing: Punishing completionists in JRPG's
I'm sorry Xeboblade, but that low random chance percent to get enemy drops really killed my enjoyme t for my 100% playthrough.
Other offenders:
Baten Kaitos
Baten Kaitos Origins

Final fantasy 8
Etc.

Facism

preorder dlc. Pretty much keeps my money in my wallet outside of a few instances.
Useless collectible nonsense like feathers/flags/dogtags.
Being led along a linear path by some NPC and being made to watch the game instead of play it.

anddo0

Annoying mini-games:- especially those that prevent you from getting key items in the game.

Artificial difficultly:- cheap enemies and bosses. Games that are more cheap than challenging.

Poor level design:- The second half of Darks Souls 1 and Killzone Shadow Fall come to mind.

Wiz

Bad Controls. Wonky ass Gameplay. Too many unnecessary cutscenes/dialogue.

*coughsonicgamescough*

guggnichso

Banned
Military shit. US Military shit the most. Anything with soldiers or american military. US "morals".

Stupid fucking bullshit marines. Gruff guys with guns on the cover.

That shit just screams "pandering to 13 Year olds".

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Transparent arbitrary bar filling and checklisting, as the design foundation for why you are to interact with the game world at all.

Looking at you, Creed and Skyrim. I just cant do it.

Let's make that 20.

And include the likes of G Gundam and the Street Fighter II animated movie? Fuck that shit. I wouldn't even say 15, frankly.

To begin with, it's not even anime visuals in general that I don't like. I love the look of Guilty Gear Xrd, for instance. It's the fanservice vehicles like this shit that turn me away.

Freemium
Day one dlc
Microtransactions
Cod like

Edit oh and preorder dlc unlocks

I find if a developer doesn't have any sort of DLC available shortly after launch or at launch they're pretty lazy. Or they better be bringing something else to the table since the time between going gold and release is valuable and shouldn't be squandered.

On the other cases like Mass Effect 3 is basically criminal in my eyes.

rpmboy

-having a million cosmetic dlc packs
-most visual novels
-different preorder dlc for different retailers
-bad controls
-bad performance

Ishan

leveling/perks in non rpg/story oriented games. I'm okay with it in say mass effect or would be okay in a mmo fps hybrid like destiny. or in bioshock level trees. But I cant stand perks / leveling in fps multiplayers like cod etc. I want the old cs (/halo/q3) days where is pure skill only.

oh and normally non cosmetic microtransactions make me wary.

Shitty Anime Artstyles (not saying anime is shitty but some styles)

Insane Hype (tLoU, Souls series etc usually means I go in expecting much more than the game delivers)

Poor controls

"Humour" (saints row 3 was the biggest example of this. SR1 and SR2 are solid games if feeling a little GTA cloney but SR3 jumped the shark and was awful for it. Stupid humour that just made me shake my head and by the end of the I wanted it to just end so I can fulfill the completion in me)

Forced AI companions in action oriented games. I was so happy that I could throw my pawn off a cliff in Dragon's Dogma and play it as a solo adventure even if it made the game a great deal more difficult. I just hate having an AI around against my will for the majority of gameplay.

If it's something like Ashley in RE4 I can deal with because she sits behind you and doesn't really do anything without the player commanding it (and she's really only there for about half the game). But when they act of their own accord it really gets on my nerves, especially if they use up your supplies.

Bungie

Well in Titanfall to go to the next gen they require you to use certain weapons etc. I really dislike when i'm forced to use things I don't like.

dab0ne

Annoying mini-games:- especially those that prevent you from getting key items in the game.

Artificially difficultly:- cheap enemies and bosses. Games that are more cheap than challenging.

Poor level design:- The second half of Darks Souls 1 and Killzone Shadow Fall come to mind.

Yep!

Your first point helped me dislike bioshock

Your second point is something I like to call "slot machine difficulty". It's not hard to play but winning seems to depend on luck because it's so damn cheap.

Because of your third point I went from loving KZ Shadowfall in the earlier levels to trading it in thanks to the later ones. What a fucking slog the second half of that game is.

Top Bottom