• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thinking about Castlevania:LOI

AssMan

Banned
I'm taking summer classes, and it's a pain with all the work i'm getting so i need to stay away from the rpg genre for awhile, and maybe pick up some action games that are fast paced so......

How is LOI? If the game has great gameplay, and awesome art style, then i'll pick it up. Any tips GAFers?

P.S. What about Gungrave?

Gattsu25

Banned
artstyle is topcotch....some of the best in the industry IMO

to bad the actual in game visuals are utter shit compared to the concept art...and that the levels are made up of 4 repeated rooms...and that the gameplay is more action focused than the more recent CV games, but with a terribly repetitive combat system...or that the magic system is wasted potential because of the high number of almost-always-useless magic combos...or that the game is (again) too easy...or that the game lacks any real reason to replay it...and who could forget that in order to get up to a boss you have to run through the SAME 4 FUCKING ROOMS OVER 20 TIMES EACH AND THAT'S NOT EVEN TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THE BACKTRACKING

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
gameplay is middling, the art is really attractive in places, and the soundtrack is excellent. it's not a bad game, certainly -- the action is a bit generic, and the level design is exceedingly generic, but there's nontheless pleasure in filling out the map and finding all the little secrets. it's gotta be cheap by now, and if you go in with tempered expectations you'll probably enjoy it.

suikodan

Bah, LoI isn't bad. You can have a quick fix with it.

But please, stay away from Gungrave. Bore-fest to the max.

AssMan

Banned
Oh boy. Just like the reviews ive been seeing, it doesn't seem all that great. I guess I'll think about it.

beerbelly

Banned
NOOO dont do it! I got the game as a gift last month. Just a bunch of empty rooms and some monsters thrown in for some 'challenge'. Some rooms require you to finish all enemies, similar to Zelda, in order to proceed. But it is just a bore to finish them off some times. The music is just not that good in this one too. One thing to note is that the whole game is too easy, but the final boss and 'bonus' boss were too damn hard. I had to use gamefaqs to realize a duplicate-item glitch to finish.

Gattsu25

Banned
eh? i don't think i ever died in that game...the bonus boss is the ONLY redeeming quality about it...and even that was disappointing (as was the music)

Pimpbaa

The level design is rather bad, just all square rooms basically. Also has the worse lead character design in Castlevania's history. Gameplay is pretty good tho, and the music is awesome.

AssMan

Banned
Damn. I guess i'll stay away from Gungrave and LOI :( What about Rygar? It's either that or just pick up Final Fantasy 8.

ourumov

An entertaining piece...but if you are looking for a good 3D beatemup...DMC is more interesting.
The biggest issue is the repetitive level design.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
235974.jpg

belgurdo

Banned
If you started with Symphony and think all CVs are supposed to be Metroidvanias, you'll hate it. If you started from the beginning of the series or CV 4 or whatever, you'll realize that they were trying to just make a straight action game without all of the RPG bullshit, and you'll like it more.

silenttwn

I think the first thing you need to ask yourself is if you've played Devil May Cry before thinking about playing Lament of Innocence. DMC is waaayyy better than LoI, even in art and music IMO. If not, I reccommend going for that (not DMC2, though).

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Man, I think people are being way too critical with this game. I don't think the levels were nearly as repetitive as Halo. I can't count how many times I ran through the same hallway and entered the same opening over and over again in Halo. LOI isn't nearly as repetitve IMO. The action/gameplay was pulled off well in 3D IMO too. It's all about learning combos and each level is one gigantic puzzle. The reward is usually a secret weapon. There is some platforming, but it's mainly action. I thought the story was good too. Is it perfect? No. I would have liked the option to have a "free look" to see any hidden items/locations in a room. I would also have liked the ability to equip items from the menu, but those are just minor issues. The music is just as good as SOTN or Rondo of Blood and the graphics are some of the best I've seen on PS2. Overall, I think Konami did a good job in bringing the game to 3D. I can't wait for the next one.

jett

D-Member
silenttwn said:
I think the first thing you need to ask yourself is if you've played Devil May Cry before thinking about playing Lament of Innocence. DMC is waaayyy better than LoI, even in art and music IMO. If not, I reccommend going for that (not DMC2, though).

I just have to adress this real quick. The music in DMC is fucking garbage, what the fuck.

Anyway, LoI is a good game if you don't go in expecting Metroidvania. I had fun with it.

AssMan

Banned
I rented DMC back in the day, but never got to finishing. Only beat the first boss, so I should pick up DMC eh? That's about as close as i'll get to a perfect action game.

Gattsu25

Banned
I liked one or two tracks on the DMC soundtrack...would have to side with LoI on this one, though it's music is still worse than previous CV games, if you ask me.

Wouldn't say DMC is perfect...just that it's better than LoI though your best bet really is Maximo - Army of Zin

THAT game is simply great, IMHO.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
have you played zoe 2? it's by some distance the best 3d action game on ps2. get that if you can find it.

Ranger X

Can't contain myself sorry...

Maximo and the army of Zin RULES.

Pimbaa, it's been a couple of days i see your avatar --- who's that chick??

drohne said:
have you played zoe 2? it's by some distance the best 3d action game on ps2. get that if you can find it.

This is the correct answer. Great music, great art, and great gameplay. Plus it's extremely fast.

AssMan

Banned
I can't find ZOE 2 ANYWHERE! I'll pick up DMC since it seems to be better than LOI in reviews and seems to be touted as one of the best action games for PS2.

Agent X

I finally got Castlevania: Lament of Innocence a few days ago for just under $15 new (Circuit City). While it doesn't play very much like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night or any of the Game Boy Advance Castlevania games, it still makes for mighty good entertainment.

I recommend it, especially at that price!

jett

D-Member
silenttwn said:
Uhhh, no, not really. DMC's soundtrack kicks ass. Way better than Lament of Innocence.

God...

You're entitiled to your opinion. I won't say your opinion is "wrong", but it is tasteless. :p

P90

AssMan said:
I can't find ZOE 2 ANYWHERE! I'll pick up DMC since it seems to be better than LOI in reviews and seems to be touted as one of the best action games for PS2.

Try harder to get ZOE 2. DMC is a rental, IMO. Absolutely fantastic for 8 hours than downhill.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't think the levels were nearly as repetitive as Halo. I can't count how many times I ran through the same hallway and entered the same opening over and over again in Halo.

Bullshit.

At least Halo VERY OFTEN opens up to offer sprawling outdoor battles that are ANYTHING but repetitive. Even when dealing with the indoor sections, the rooms really ARE NOT exactly the same. Entrances often appear so, but the room design is quite different and the way you fight within each room is very different. LoI literally presents the SAME EXACT rooms over and over again with virtually NO unique areas (unlike Halo).

Oh, regarding Rygar...

I actually enjoyed it somewhat. Unlike LoI, the biggest variety comes FROM level design. The worlds are beautiful (as is the music) and the gameplay is quite fun. There are VERY few enemies, however, but I didn't think it was a huge problem. I still enjoyed it.

P90

dark10x said:
Oh, regarding Rygar...

I actually enjoyed it somewhat. Unlike LoI, the biggest variety comes FROM level design. The worlds are beautiful (as is the music) and the gameplay is quite fun. There are VERY few enemies, however, but I didn't think it was a huge problem. I still enjoyed it.

Rygar's pace was a bit slow for my taste. Rental or $9.99 pick up. Beautiful soundtrack.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Err, Castlevania LoI had one of the best soundtracks in a game this gen. "House of Sacred Remains"(I love how it kicks in at 1:36), techno-ish "Anti-Soul Mysteries Lab", "Garden Forgotten in Time", "Dark Palace of Waterfalls", "Lament of Innocence(Leon's Theme)", and "Dark Night Toccata" are excellent. I would have opted for a Remixed Dracula's Castle but maybe next round.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Rygar is a decent 6+ hour or so adventure game. The diskarmors were a lot more fun to dick around with than the whip combos in LoI, (particularly loved the Sea diskarmor).

Game is filled with some REALLY attractive destructible environs, the music is spectacular, and some of the bosses were a hoot.

The enemy design WAS atrocious though, rarely anything exciting to actually kill with your unique weaponry. Game has a buttload of switch puzzles that kind of got on my nerves now and again. (Urrgh...gruff...urghh....)

The plot is SO bad it just may be one of the finer points of the game! "By this feather...."

I've seen it brand new for $10 also.

Bebpo

Banned
Rygar has nice level designs and music, but the core gameplay system is not very good IMO and the boss battles are awful.

LoI has a pretty nice action system and a nice variety of moves + sub-weapons, but the level designs is pretty generic. The boss battles are fun though, especially the hidden boss and the music works but is forgettable.

DMC has the best action system of the group, but the level design is pretty boring (though more interesting than LoI). The music works but again is forgettable.

ZoE2 has the best graphics, level design, music, story, characters, control of the group. Though it doesn't have as many sub-weapons as LoI, but every sub-weapon is useful here.

Oh and Maximo 1&2 rock hard but those aren't really straight up action games, so I wouldn't compare them.

So I guess I'd say ZoE2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DMC>LoI>>>>>>Rygar

IMO

Docpan

The game is trash.

And don't give me the "you've probably only been a fan since Symphony of the Night" treatment. I've been playing the series since the NES. This is one of the worst ones, right next to CV Legends and Harmony of Crapulence.

Go buy Castlevania 4. It fucking rocks.

AssMan said:

Look harder, it's definetly worth all the trouble you have to go through to find it.

zoe2_b2_screen028.jpg

It's a fun game, so long as you expect something more like Devil May Cry and not Symphony of the Night.

That said, Maximo does indeed trump it.

Top Bottom