• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Third Party Wii Games

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
poppabk said:
I have played through RE5 on my PC, and have started a play through of Dead Space on PC also. I would still like an RE5:Wii.

Yes, there's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting that. So would I. I never did play RE4 last gen, so I got introduced to it on the Wii, and man that was a great experience. It's so obvious how a future RE game or similar game could make use of the Wii in a great way.

There are many games I'd like on different platforms than they're on. Most recent example, VVVVVV, I'd love a console port of that. I'd also like to play Cursed Mountain on an HD system provided they got the budget to make textures that don't look like junk and fix the character's unbearable movement speed. I'd love it if Lazy Raiders (just released on 360) got a Wii port, because it could really use tilt control. Rolando, too, would be great on either PS3 or Wii for that reason.

Of course, the difference is that you aren't spitting venom at Capcom right now (and you're not, for instance, calling good games shitty as a way of spiting them for Dead Rising Wii), and you played the game elsewhere even if you would have rathered it on Wii. And if motion controls are that important to you that you literally won't play it elsewhere, you'd just play something else instead of having a tantrum that you don't get to play a game that doesn't exist.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Turrican3 said:
I own all home & portable systems, I'm extremely happy with the Wii (mostly due to Nintendo's own efforts) but I *still* believe it's absolutely reasonable to complain about, for example, the modest number of *quality* third party FPS/TPS and maybe RTS, too, that would have benefitted a lot from the unique control scheme of nunchuck+wiimote, a control scheme that will be 4 years old on the market alone (I assume at least one year more to 3rd party developers behind Red Steel and COD 3) this holiday season.

Really, they have no excuses: maybe it was a smart business choice to support PS360, but blaming Wii userbase for not buying their (mostly) B/C "quality" games is almost offensive.

I mostly agree. There are plenty of good games on Wii, both third and first party. Way too many games for me to buy and play them all in fact. It is a shame that by the end of generation there will be a lot of wasted potential for TPS, FPS, and RTS games. (the core games benefited from the pointer)

Sadist

Andrex said:
Never!
Disgust01.gif
You'll grow old and bitter.

Dascu

Stumpokapow said:
There are many games I'd like on different platforms than they're on. Most recent example, VVVVVV, I'd love a console port of that. I'd also like to play Cursed Mountain on an HD system provided they got the budget to make textures that don't look like junk and fix the character's unbearable movement speed. I'd love it if Lazy Raiders (just released on 360) got a Wii port, because it could really use tilt control. Rolando, too, would be great on either PS3 or Wii for that reason.
There's a PC version of Cursed Mountain out in Europe.

Stumpokapow said:
Every post I make on this subject boils down to this:

Point is, that the 3rd parties seem to be shitting on Nintendo's platforms right now, so if you're interested in third party games (from a practical perspective, and not just a bitching on GAF perspective) it may be worth having a 2nd system.

That's all fine and dandy, but you're making the very illogical assumption that those of us bitching about poor 3rd party support for the Wii don't have these other systems. I own every current console and I still want better Wii support. So you can stop making posts that boil down to that, because that is a worthless point.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
jay said:
Nintendo fans who hate everything and don't draw distinctions between niche and bad games are really making this conversation go no where.
In a sales thread that asks, "What should publishers do?", there isn't much distinction to be made. If anything, labeling a game as "niche" is worse than what cacildo labeled them as.... the latter at least has a chance of selling.

ShinNL

Stumpokapow said:
I read Wii threads because I own a Wii, I own 50 or so games for the Wii, I enjoy many games on the Wii (including quite a few marked as "shit" on those walls of shame), I'm interested in the Wii, and I'm interested in playing games on the Wii. Do I have to sell my other consoles to participate in this conversation?

In this particular case, the problem is that people are trying to make an obvious point (third party publishers flood the Wii with an ocean of shit, make little to no effort to make real games, and don't advertise them when they do make them). Good for them. The Wall of Shame idea is a great one. The problem is that the way of making this point is apparently by calling good games shitty, which makes no sense to me.

I also do think port begging, by anyone, is annoying. When someone say "DSE sucks, the Wii ought to have got something /like/ Dead Space 2", I don't see how that's different than saying "Wahh, I want Dead Space 2 on Wii", which would be an open/shut port begging example. The difference in tone is pretty irrelevant to me, the point is the same in both cases.

Well thanks for the clarification. I agree on a lot of parts what you said, but somehow I end up in the same group you're describing. Sure, a lot of GAF seems to be shouting the same stuff over and over again, like porting HD games (gross!?) to the Wii, asking for the ports of the "high budget" PSP titles (even grosser!?), people who argue Wii needs lots of advertising suddenly and all Wii titles need high budgets. However, there are still people around who are wishing that developers show what's possible with the Wii. I would be one of them. The thing is, I still remember when the developers got hold of the Wii controller and started mentioning how innovative it is and how much you can do with it. What we got were Elebits and shit. That's just.. pathetic. I thought people in the industry would be more creative than this.

So I'm not looking for the games that are being offered on the HD systems or ports of them, nor am I looking for a revive of the best PS2 games. I'm still waiting for developers to wake the hell up and show that gaming isn't lost. What I want can't be found on HD systems, but apparantly can't be found on the Wii either. I'm just as lapsed as before. From this point-of-view, I can only blame lazy (in the sense of creativity) developers and publishers (I don't need 100% Wii investment, but at least some... not that gazillion children party crap).

The thing is, I've played quite some Wii games. Most of the party games actually have some really interesting control innovations. Then there are games that have hardly any innovations but great gameplay. Then there are high budget games that have... not much else. So where is that big long innovative fun game? If Nintendo is the first (again) to bring what I want (sounds like the new Zelda might be it), then it means that the whole industry is incompetent. That's pretty much my complaint which can't be solved by getting another console.

PS. cacildo. Shut it.

cacildo

Soneet said:
The thing is, I still remember when the developers got hold of the Wii controller and started mentioning how innovative it is and how much you can do with it. What we got were Elebits and shit. That's just.. pathetic. I thought people in the industry would be more creative than this.

WHAT?

YOU DONT LIKE ELEBITS????
That´s hands down the biggest insult ive ever heard!!!!

Elebits is a solid Wii effort from a third party, alright? You just want to prove your point calling this amazing game "pathetic". You just slapped 70mil wii owners in the face with this statement

I cant believe i just read that. Oh the humanity...

Sadist

Leondexter said:
That's all fine and dandy, but you're making the very illogical assumption that those of us bitching about poor 3rd party support for the Wii don't have these other systems. I own every current console and I still want better Wii support. So you can stop making posts that boil down to that, because that is a worthless point.
I think Stump's argument doesn't concern you. ;)

Thing is, (not directed to you Leondexter) I only own a Wii but I did play through Resident Evil 5/Bayonetta/MGS 4/Street Fighter IV/Burnout Paradise on PS3, the original Dead Rising on 360, Dead Space on PC just for a few examples so I'm not one of the whiney types who'd wished that the Wii would receive better support. But this thread is going nowhere when people are spouting nonsense about certain games and it turns the thread in a bitter grudge thread. I mean, I own several of the hated games (Dead Rising CTYD, the railshooters) mentioned but you don't hear me bitching and whining about it. If several people hate a game so much, go ahead. But not in this thread, which has some good discussion in it.

jay

JJConrad said:
In a sales thread that asks, "What should publishers do?", there isn't much distinction to be made. If anything, labeling a game as "niche" is worse than what cacildo labeled them as.... the latter at least has a chance of selling.

The problem isn't that niche games exist, though. It's that the big games aren't coming out also. If you blame Atlus for releasing that shitty Shiren no one wants to play you're probably missing something.

ShinNL

cacildo said:
WHAT?

Elebits is a solid Wii effort from a third party, alright? You just want to prove your point calling this amazing game "pathetic". You just slapped 70mil wii owners in the face with this statement

I'm sure you're doing your best trying to make others seem like they were overreacting to your original post by making a sarcastic post like what you did now, but really... You LOLOLOLOL'd someone's opinion, many point out your childish reaction and yet you still haven't gotten it. Instead you desperately tried to explain your position which no one cares about. No one would be offended if you dislike a game and you would have been entitled to your own opinion, if it wasn't for a fact that you don't care about other people's opinion and laugh in their faces. Now just accept the consequences that no one cares about your opinion anymore because you're a jerk, instead of desperately trying to grab for attention. I thought you were going to ignore me by using the block feature, or haven't you found it yet?
cacildo said:
Ill find the block user feature by myself.
Or are you just all talk?

Look at who's posting what and start realizing who's really the "kid" here.

Long story short:
Yeah, Elebits is shit if you read the context about wanting long, big, innovative amazing games. Elebits is a tiny level bit higher than a party game. But I guess you don't really read posts and are here just to pick fights, right?

cacildo

Soneet said:
I thought you were going to ignore me by using the block feature, or haven't you found it yet?Or are you just all talk?

Nah, i didnt had the time to look for it. But i will in a few seconds.

Soneet said:
Long story short:
Yeah, Elebits is shit if you read the context about wanting long, big, innovative amazing games. Elebits is a tiny level bit higher than a party game. But I guess you don't really read posts and are here just to pick fights, right?

You´re a sad person, kid.
And now i really found the block feature.

Stumpokapow said:
In this particular case, the problem is that people are trying to make an obvious point (third party publishers flood the Wii with an ocean of shit, make little to no effort to make real games, and don't advertise them when they do make them). Good for them. The Wall of Shame idea is a great one. The problem is that the way of making this point is apparently by calling good games shitty, which makes no sense to me.
That is why when I posted the wall here I didn't judge any game in particular. I let the wall speak for itself. Which games you think are worth your dollar are completely subjective to the buyer but the point to focus on was that the majority of whats on most of the walls are crap and we can't be blamed for not wanting to wade through the piles of crap to look for the good stuff when they haven't even bothered to advertise any of it.

I also do think port begging, by anyone, is annoying. When someone say "DSE sucks, the Wii ought to have got something /like/ Dead Space 2", I don't see how that's different than saying "Wahh, I want Dead Space 2 on Wii", which would be an open/shut port begging example. The difference in tone is pretty irrelevant to me, the point is the same in both cases.

When people say they want a game /like/ Dead Space/2, I'm sure they are all saying they want a game that is not only like the original (3rd person) but something that got the same amount of attention to presentation and gameplay that the other versions would have gotten. Doesn't exactly have to be the same game, but something not with a severely reduced budget and the B-team roster from the development group with no commitment from the publisher to push for success.

I'm still shocked that there was no RE5 on Wii, but I was just dumbfounded when EA said they were bringing Dead Space to Wii only to deliver a game in a completely different genre instead of feeding the need for the next RE4 to Wii fans. So many sales lost by not giving the audience what they clearly wanted. But I feel that's a debate for a different thread.

*I typed this almost 3 hours ago and apparently never hit send*

Loonz

Leondexter said:

I completely agree with you here. I'm on the same boat: I have every system this gen, bar the 360... because I have no time left for it, not that I wouldn't like to have one, of course I'd like.

Using a example, I absolutely loved Dead Space on my PS3, and I enjoyed DS:E, but at the same time I understand your pain cacildo, not for what that game is but for what it could have been. I would preferred a Wii DS on the same vein than the first, not only because the Wii is more than able to run a game like that (hello RE4!) but because me, as a customer, I'd like to see the Wii's capabilities used at its fullest to provide an enhanced gameplay experience on more "conventional" games, and in their respective genres. I expect the same when I buy a game for any other of my consoles, it's my hard-earned money what's going down the drain ffs!.

The thing is that the whole third party community of developers are resorting to their minimum efforts when it comes to the Wii. They change the genres of their IP "conversions" on Wii handheld-style. They spend the minimum quantity of money and creative effort on them. They avoid any kind of challenge. They treat the Wii as a crippled system.

When the Wii's the only console able to provide certain types of gameplay experiences, I'd like to see not only new kinds of games, more "experimental" or so to speak (which is good, although I'm not that ambitious), but new takes on more "traditional" games as well. As someone mentioned before this post, Godfather Wii was a mediocre game greatly improved thanks to the Wii's unique capabilities, which ended in a game more fun to play than the original. I'd like more of that.

Buying another console would never be a solution for this particular problem Stumpokapow. Stop spouting that idea: it's tiring, and most of the people here complaining about the whole third party situation on Wii already have another console/s. Get over it.

Eteric Rice

If I were Nintendo, I'd just say "fuck it" and create some new studios in the West and in Japan as well. Make their own big games.

cacildo

Eteric Rice said:
If I were Nintendo, I'd just say "fuck it" and create some new studios in the West and in Japan as well. Make their own big games.

Sometimes i think nintendo really decided to give up on 3rd parties...

Metroid mario zelda xenoblade last story reginleiv all in the same year?

apujanata

bmf said:
Gotta say, the truth is, if you want a all that this generation has to offer for you, you probably need more than a Wii. I walked into Costco on launch day and just picked one up. I left with the expectation that it would be the only console that I'd be buying this generation. In August 2008 I picked up an XBox 360 because the Wii was missing GTAIV and RE5, and I really wanted to play both of them. Since then I've played through Fallout 3, Brutal Legend, both Mass Effect games, Darksiders, and Bayonetta. I still enjoy the hell out of my Wii. I spent quality time with Super Metroid this weekend with it's help.

Point is, that the 3rd parties seem to be shitting on Nintendo's platforms right now, so if you're interested in third party games (from a practical perspective, and not just a bitching on GAF perspective) it may be worth having a 2nd system.

Well, I only have Wii, so if 3rd parties want me to buy their games, it is either :
A. Release good games on Wii, so I can buy them
B. Make a very unique game on PS3 or X360, so I have good reason to buy the console + games.

For point B, RE5, GTA4, Fallout 3 didn't make me want to buy the console. Why ? Not unique enough, and I have PC.
I bought PS2 for Dynastic Tactics (Koei) and FFX (SE), but so far, not compelling game on PS3 and X360 for me.

If 3rd party publisher couldn't make me buy their games, it is their lost. I bought a lot of 3rd party games on PS2, and so far, I have disinterest/apathy for PS3 and X360 games.

It is their fault I spent most of my money on first party games, as opposed on third party games. If they goes bankrupt, I wouldn't shed any tears for them.

NB : I do have lots of third party games on Wii, like Conduit, Dead Rising:CTYD, Ghost Squad, HOTD: Overkill, Zack & Wiki, Red Steel, but I would have bought even more of them if third party publisher release more good games.

apujanata said:
Well, I only have Wii, so if 3rd parties want me to buy their games, it is either :
A. Release good games on Wii, so I can buy them
B. Make a very unique game on PS3 or X360, so I have good reason to buy the console + games.

For point B, RE5, GTA4, Fallout 3 didn't make me want to buy the console. Why ? Not unique enough, and I have PC.
I bought PS2 for Dynastic Tactics (Koei) and FFX (SE), but so far, not compelling game on PS3 and X360 for me.

If 3rd party publisher couldn't make me buy their games, it is their lost. I bought a lot of 3rd party games on PS2, and so far, I have disinterest/apathy for PS3 and X360 games.

It is their fault I spent most of my money on first party games, as opposed on third party games. If they goes bankrupt, I wouldn't shed any tears for them.

NB : I do have lots of third party games on Wii, like Conduit, Dead Rising:CTYD, Ghost Squad, HOTD: Overkill, Zack & Wiki, Red Steel, but I would have bought even more of them if third party publisher release more good games.
I probably would have gone Wii/PC this generation if my HTPC was beefy enough. Most of the big 360 games that I'm interested in have decent ports to the PC. Definitely for RE5 and GTA4 and Fallout 3 and the Mass Effect games (definitely worth the time and money those two). In my case there were other reasons as well. I really wanted to play co-op RE5 with my brother and he had a 360 already, and it wasn't going to work unless we were playing on like hardware.

It would be something to get a big list of the high profile HD games this generation and match them up as far as PC ports go.

Vizion28

Banned
cacildo said:
WHAT?

Heeyyyyyyyy I enjoyed Elebits. It was one of the most unique video game experiences I ever had mainly because of the Wii remote. I actually bought the game on Ebay for like 10 dollars. I wish 3rd parties made more games like it.

Vizion28

Banned
Eteric Rice said:

With all the money Nintendo is making this gen with the loads of software and hardware they are selling I am sure they recruiting and nurturing new talents. Which makes me think Nintendo will be even more of a software powerhouse than this gen. That must be kind of daunting to its competitors.

As far as I can tell Nintendo doesn't need 3rd parties as much as Microsoft and SOny does. Though Nintendo can work with 3rd party developers to make games that would be move their consoles like Monster Hunter Tri and Last Story - games Nintendo couldn't make on their own. Nintendo's 1st party software is so good and popular it can carry them through.

cacildo

Vizion28 said:
Heeyyyyyyyy I enjoyed Elebits. It was one of the most unique video game experiences I ever had mainly because of the Wii remote. I actually bought the game on Ebay for like 10 dollars. I wish 3rd parties made more games like it.

I like elebits too.
I think its a pretty fun game, innovative and fresh. But it makes me dizzy sometimes.
I was just messing with the kid because i said i dont like Grand Slam Tennis and he got all crazy and stuff.

But he has the right to dislike Elebits. He has the rights to call it shit like he did.
Heck, its not like my grandpa made the game as an memento of our family lineage for God sake. Its just a game.

KTGarda

I definitely think the walls work better without ratings so that the viewer can decide for themselves which games are or aren't worth buying. Unfortunately, so many of them fall into the latter category.

cacildo

KTGarda said:
I definitely think the walls work better without ratings so that the viewer can decide for themselves which games are or aren't worth buying. Unfortunately, so many of them fall into the latter category.

Will someone make an exclusive thread for the Walls of Shame?

If you want to play Resident Evil 5, just buy a PS3/360, damn.

Let's ask for Resident Evil 6 (lol) or an Assigment Ada-like story, anything that's new people! Why beg for a downport of a game that wasn't created to be played with the Wii hardware?

And Elebits sucks, I'm glad I bought Red Steel instead, well, not -gl-a-d... but still better than Elebits!

donny2112

Sammy Samusu said:
If you want to play Resident Evil 5, just buy a PS3/360,

If you want to play RE5 with Wii controls, buy a PC that can run it and hope someone made a patch to use the Wiimote with it. Or hope that Capcom will put out another RE game on Wii using RE4 controls that may be RE5 or RE:Something Else.

donny2112 said:
If you want to play RE5 with Wii controls, buy a PC that can run it and hope someone made a patch to use the Wiimote with it. Or hope that Capcom will put out another RE game on Wii using RE4 controls that may be RE5 or RE:Something Else.
THIS! I thought history had shown Wii (literally) need exclusive content created for the hardware. Enough ports, please.

JohnnyPanda said:
Because people just line up to play boring, shitty shooters and games with hugely divisive art styles.

I just purchased The Conduit yesterday for like, $14, so I'll see for myself what it is like.

Madworld, man, don't get me started on that game. It's all shock value. Maybe I'd be impressed if I hadn't grew up on Mortal Kombat or hadn't ever heard profanity in my life.

HotD: Overkill is better played on mute.

By the way, I saw no adds for these games outside of GameFaqs. I watch sports exclusively, so ESPN is where you'll find me most of the time. Sony and Microsoft certainly do not neglect ABC, CBS, NBC, or Fox. The most recent Nintendo commercial was actually EA Sports Active for an Exercise TV workout I downloaded, but that was from last year.

Penguin

cacildo said:
I think it deserves a exclusive thread, when the project gets done (every publisher with its own wall.)

I'm sure if it were worth a thread, one of the members in here would have made it.

Sammy Samusu said:
If you want to play Resident Evil 5, just buy a PS3/360, damn.

I think that's the logical gap people make when arguing about Wii 3rd party support, at least personally, I don't want 1 to 1 conversion, I've owned and beat RE 5 like 3 times on my 360 so I'm not gonna play/buy the game on my Wii for fancy controls.

But we do want games like RE 5 on the Wii and not DSC/UC (again speaking personally). How is it Ubisoft was able to develop a version of AC 2 for every console under the sun but the Wii?

They release crap like Petz and Babiez and then complain when no one buys their junk, they deem every single "mature", "hardcore", "core" effort on the Wii as a test, but no one ever says the same with the 360/PS3.

Hell, at the start of the generation, everyone starts off with the same userbase, the games that are made for it creates the type of gamer it recruits, so the clot of no hardccore/core gamer was a niche created and maintained by 3rd parties.

donny2112

cacildo said:
I think it deserves a exclusive thread, when the project gets done (every publisher with its own wall.)

Random lists of games that somehow constitute "shame" for all third-party Wii publishers does not deserve a new thread, when it's already in an appropriate one here. Third-parties are dumb on Wii. We know this. Third-parties have released a lot of crap on Wii. We know this. Making a new thread about it (instead of simply letting every Wii thread created devolve into that same discussion) doesn't add a whole lot.

Sadist

cacildo said:
Nope.

We had a lot of third party threads the last couple of months and just because a few walls were made, doesn't mean we need another thread for it. We all know that there are huge differences between the Wii and the 360/PS3 software library's. It's all old news.

Actually we should make this one the official thread for Wii third party discussion.

Fake Edit: Donny is faster.

Bizzyb

Banned
cacildo said:
Sometimes i think nintendo really decided to give up on 3rd parties...

Metroid mario zelda xenoblade last story reginleiv all in the same year?

Or maybe Nintendo's trying to get everything out now before they release WiiHD :D

but yeah Nintendo is giving a big "F U" to pubs. I mean they gave them practically the entire '08 and '09 to do something big on Wii.

obaidr

Banned
Penguin said:
I'm sure if it were worth a thread, one of the members in here would have made it.

I think that's the logical gap people make when arguing about Wii 3rd party support, at least personally, I don't want 1 to 1 conversion, I've owned and beat RE 5 like 3 times on my 360 so I'm not gonna play/buy the game on my Wii for fancy controls.

But we do want games like RE 5 on the Wii and not DSC/UC (again speaking personally). How is it Ubisoft was able to develop a version of AC 2 for every console under the sun but the Wii?

They release crap like Petz and Babiez and then complain when no one buys their junk, they deem every single "mature", "hardcore", "core" effort on the Wii as a test, but no one ever says the same with the 360/PS3.

Hell, at the start of the generation, everyone starts off with the same userbase, the games that are made for it creates the type of gamer it recruits, so the clot of no hardccore/core gamer was a niche created and maintained by 3rd parties.

I think a Problem for all the big AAA titles is the status of the Wii brand in the perception of the clients. I think, and a lot of Nintennerds will kill me for this statement, putting AS2 or any game with the same status as AS(Resident Evil 5, MW2, Final Fantasy XIII, Bioshock 2, Dantes Inferno etc.) on the Wii would hurt the brand of the game. All the big titles sell it self as super HD, cinematic games, as an special experience with the state of the art sound and graphic design. This counts specially for the 3rd Person action games because they are even more cinematic then FPS. Now putting a game like AS on the Wii means downgrading the game to a limit which will very probably will not merit what the brand stands for: HD graphics, HD sound, HD experience.

Did you ever ask your self why Porsche did not release a small city car for girls? Those cars sell ten times more then a usual Porsche car. They did not do it because releasing such car would mean destroying the Porsche brand and this would mean because there is a small city car called Porsche, people would stop buying Porsche sport cars.

For that reason I believe we will never see a big HD AAA game being released on the Wii or it will be released, but at the very end of the life-cycle, when the game gets irrelevant like MW1. Thats the reason why Ubisoft puts AS on PSP and iPhone but they will never release AS on the Wii because this would hurt the brand they build up over the last years.

cacildo

donny2112 said:
Random lists of games that somehow constitute "shame" for all third-party Wii publishers does not deserve a new thread, when it's already in an appropriate one here. Third-parties are dumb on Wii. We know this. Third-parties have released a lot of crap on Wii. We know this. Making a new thread about it (instead of simply letting every Wii thread created devolve into that same discussion) doesn't add a whole lot.

Yeah, i guess donny had the best exposure of the reasons here.

Still, third parties wii games are a subject that get on my nerves.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
obaidr said:
I think a Problem for all the big AAA titles is the status of the Wii brand in the perception of the clients. I think, and a lot of Nintennerds will kill me for this statement, putting AS2 or any game with the same status as AS(Resident Evil 5, MW2, Final Fantasy XIII, Bioshock 2, Dantes Inferno etc.) on the Wii would hurt the brand of the game. All the big titles sell it self as super HD, cinematic games, as an special experience with the state of the art sound and graphic design. This counts specially for the 3rd Person action games because they are even more cinematic then FPS. Now putting a game like AS on the Wii means downgrading the game to a limit which will very probably will not merit what the brand stands for: HD graphics, HD sound, HD experience.

Did you ever ask your self why Porsche did not release a small city car for girls? Those cars sell ten times more then a usual Porsche car. They did not do it because releasing such car would mean destroying the Porsche brand and this would mean because there is a small city car called Porsche, people would stop buying Porsche sport cars.

For that reason I believe we will never see a big HD AAA game being released on the Wii or it will be released, but at the very end of the life-cycle, when the game gets irrelevant like MW1. Thats the reason why Ubisoft puts AS on PSP and iPhone but they will never release AS on the Wii because this would hurt the brand they build up over the last years.
Right when I was worried I would never see another post from you regarding Wii.

Penguin

obaidr said:

Okay one, why are you calling it AS?

Second, I don't disagree with you, but on the same hand using your own example AC 2 was released on the 360/PS3/PC soon as well as having a DS/iPHone/PSP version, are you telling me the graphical fidelity of those titles, don't hurt the brand?

On the point though, I completely agree with you, there are certain games that rely heavily on their graphical presentation (and that's not a knock on most games), but there are ways to make big, budget, special experience games on the Wii.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
obaidr said:

Except Porsche made an SUV, not exactly their traditional sports car market.
Plus your last point kind of negates your whole argument - You can't put Assassins Creed (AS?) on the Wii because it will hurt the brand by not having HD visuals/sound/production values - so you put it on iphone?

obaidr said:

No, because they started manufacturing SUVs because the demand for those were greater. Because women, not girls, can afford Porches and they need somewhere to put their shopping...or children.

Penguin said:
the games that are made for it creates the type of gamer it recruits
Awesome.

And yes, we do want Resident Evil 5 for Wii, but not now... Now what we (Wii gamers), want is to be part of the multiplataform announcment of Resident Evil 6.

obaidr said:
WHAT THE FUCK?! :lol

obaidr

Banned
Penguin said:
Okay one, why are you calling it AS?

Second, I don't disagree with you, but on the same hand using your own example AC 2 was released on the 360/PS3/PC soon as well as having a DS/iPHone/PSP version, are you telling me the graphical fidelity of those titles, don't hurt the brand?

On the point though, I completely agree with you, there are certain games that rely heavily on their graphical presentation (and that's not a knock on most games), but there are ways to make big, budget, special experience games on the Wii.

1) Sorry, it shoud be AC, a mistake on my side. :)

2) PSP and iPhone are very far away from the home consoles (in the perception of the clients). They act in their own market which is called "the handheld market" and any Product which is released on that market will be perceived very differently then a product released on the home console market. A portable version of a game is more of a franchise extension, then a line extension. Besides if you buy the PSP or iPhone version you have benefits you dont have on the homeconsole version: you can play it anywhere.

For example while there is no Porsche city car for girls, there are "much weaker" Porsche Motorcycles (only in very limited number but there are). This works out because these are two different products for two different markets.

For that reason, since the portable version is perceived totally different then the home console version, there are no backlash are direct connections to the home console versions. This is not the case for the Wii, it fights the same fight as PS360 and everything happens with game one platform will have backlashs on the other platforms.

Vinci

Danish
FFS: Stop trying to make the Western 3rd party publishers, in particular, sound sensible when it comes to brand protection.

Vinci said:
FFS: Stop trying to make the Western 3rd party publishers, in particular, sound sensible when it comes to brand protection.

It doesn't even really work either considering third parties were supporting PSP from the beginning. It lost support maybe one year. Otherwise, it has always gotten support from both western and eastern third parties.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
obaidr said:
1) Sorry, it shoud be AC, a mistake on my side. :)

2) PSP and iPhone are very far away from the home consoles (in the perception of the clients). They act in their own market which is called "the handheld market" and any Product which is released on that market will be perceived very differently then a product released on the home console market. A portable version of a game is more of a franchise extension, then a line extension. Besides if you buy the PSP or iPhone version you have benefits you dont have on the homeconsole version: you can play it anywhere.

For example while there is no Porsche city car for girls, there are "much weaker" Porsche Motorcycles (only in very limited number but there are). This works out because these are two different products for two different markets.

For that reason, since the portable version is perceived totally different then the home console version, there are no backlash are direct connections to the home console versions. This is not the case for the Wii, it fights the same fight as PS360 and everything happens with game one platform will have backlashs on the other platforms.
Car analogies are the Godwins law of video game threads, especially when they are incorrect.
Porsche made an SUV.

And with which audience would the publishers be worried about their brand being seen negatively. The 360/PS3 owners who would not play the Wii version. The small number of 360/PS3/Wii owners who also would not play the Wii version. Or the Wii owners who currently can't play the Wii version because it doesn't exist. Who exactly is not going to buy MW3 or perceive the brand negatively on 360/PS3 because the Wii version exists?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't really see a problem with the 3rd party situation on the Wii in terms of content. There is piles of content out there, In the last year I've bought Klonoa, Little King's Story, Grand Slam Tennis, Tiger Woods 10, Sky Crawlers, NMH2, Rune Factory Frontier, Let's Tap, EA Sports Active, Anno, Dead Space Extraction, PES 2010, A Boy and his Blob, Broken Sword, Tatsunoko vs Capcom and FFCC Crystal Bearers. Those were all cracking games, and I don't think they would have sold much better, in fact I think several would have sold a lot worse, on an HD platform. I can only assume people didn't buy most of them because they didn't know about them.

obaidr said:

That's an interesting argument, but they put the Modern Warfare and Assassin's Creed franchises on the DS, which is by far the least graphically capable system in current production.

I think the issue of not having a Wii version has a lot to do with how much work it entails. It's not like a 'normal' gen where an inferior port would be a minimal amount of downgrading; a Wii version of a game requires a large amount of reduction in detail, geometry, lighting, etc, and -- if you want a 'hook' -- re-working of the controls.

I don't the Wii should have a version of every big release, but it should be considered. Strong franchises, especially ones historically associated with Nintendo systems, should be no-brainers (like Street Fighter IV, now ridiculously coming to iPhone and not Wii).

In a lot of cases, though, I really think it just comes down to developers who dislike the Wii. They're okay with portables that lack power, even to the extent of the DS, but are offended by a console made from tech that's "too old". And publishers seem to dislike it for business reasons: it wasn't the horse they bet on, so they continue to wish it would just die.

Milabrega

I know its not very easy to search post histories at the moment, but I doubt any of you will be surprised to know that obaidr's is embarrassingly trollish.

Milabrega said:
I know its not very easy to search post histories at the moment, but I doubt any of you will be surprised to know that obaidr's is embarrassingly trollish.

Thanks for letting us know.

And the guy above you, that is a great point. How are we getting a version of this-or-that game on iPhones and other portable devices but not the Wii? Modern Warfare 2 Mobile, anyone?

Top Bottom