• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"This game was developed by WHO?!" moments

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, I understood what you meant. My intention with the winking smiley was to signify that I took advantage of the loophole your phrasing created only in good fun. The task can be completed properly, though, as Blizzard became Blizzard in 1994, which means all of the following qualify:

- Blackthorne
- The Death and Return of Superman
- Justice League Task Force
- Diablo
- Hearthstone (debatable)
- Heroes of the Storm (debatable)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Mario (director):
Shigeru Miyamoto: SMB, SM64
Takashi Tezuka: The Lost Levels, SMB 3, SMW, SM64
Yoshiaki Koizumi: SM64, SMS (with Kenta Usui), SMG
Koichi Hayashida: SMG2, SM3DL, SM3DW
Kenta Motokura: SM3DW, SMO.[/QUOTE]

Tezuka and Koizumi were assistant directors on SM64.

Rymuth

overblood.png

hqdefault.jpg

Overblood, Sci-fi survival horror that's programmed and designed by Akihiro Hino.

He went on to found and be president of Level-5, doing nothing but colorful games.

18-Volt

Viva Pinata on Nintendo DS was also a strange case of a Microsoft IP on a Nintendo console. Even weirder, it was still developped by Rare and published by THQ.

Microsoft games on Nintendo handhelds is not a strange case at all. There are lots of other examples of that:

MechAssaultPhantomWarBox.jpg
Age_of_Empires_-_Mythologies_Coverart.png

Zoo_Tycoon_DS_Coverart.png
Best_of_Microsoft.jpg

Mista Koo

Name three Blizzard games that aren't Warcraft, Starcraft or Overwatch.

Blackthorne

Rock n' Roll Racing

The Lost Vikings

Kinda cheating, since they weren't known as Blizzard back then, but the studio is the same.
They made this gem as Blizzard though:

PU78PQU.jpg
CD4cr2g.jpg

With all the clothing and hair options in those games, it's not really a stretch.
Huh. This explains my interest in both.

GamerJM

Banned
Blue Dragon + is actually a pretty good game. One of those games where if you don't like it it's probably because of what the game sets out to do rather than how it accomplishes that (since its main goal is to be a REALLY simplified RTS-style game, which it mostly succeeds at). But the actual design and way the game works is completely fine.

Skylanders was developed by the studio that made Star Conrol 2.

Name three Blizzard games that aren't Warcraft, Starcraft or Overwatch.

Blackthorne

Rock n' Roll Racing

The Lost Vikings

Kinda cheating, since they weren't known as Blizzard back then, but the studio is the same.
Diablo?

I was just trying to figure out the name of a game I used to have back in early 2000's on PS2, it turned out to be Ghosthunter. I had no idea it was actually developed by the same guys behind the Medievil franchise, SCE Cambridge Studio.

51BECMZMRFL._SY445_.jpg

Bamboo

Tembo_the_Badass_Elephant_cover_art.jpg

Developed by
Game Freak the developers of Main Stream Pokemon Games
for Xbox 1,Playstation 4 and PC but not
the WiiU
On the same note
fEP6Zyd.jpg

Game Freak inc.
Since it never came out in europe, I only learned about years after its release. It's probably better known in the US + jp.

MTC100

Banned
Launch title for the Nintendo Gameboy(or at least I got it with mine)

Solar_Striker_Cover.jpg

Yes, developed by the guys that brought you:

DD_wn_IVYAE3Ayr.jpg:large

I think it's the first and only Shmup Nintendo made.

Fireblend

Banned
I recently learned that Jupiter, which I mostly know for the DS/3DS/Switch Picross games, also developed the outstanding Pokémon Pinball games and helped out with The World Ends With You.

I recently learned that Jupiter, which I mostly know for the DS/3DS/Switch Picross games, also developed the outstanding Pokémon Pinball games and helped out with The World Ends With You.

they also helped with Sonic Pinball Party and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

RoyalFool

Banned
DICE are the same folks who made pinball dreams on the Amiga back in the day.

Starbreeze studio of riddick fame made the fasttracker2 audio software.

Nintendo making the Hamtaro games.

Viva Pinata on Nintendo DS was also a strange case of a Microsoft IP on a Nintendo console. Even weirder, it was still developped by Rare and published by THQ.

The Hamtaro one legit shocked me. I loved that game so much when I was younger, had no clue it was Nintendo.

Pandy

CYseQwY.jpg

Metroid Prime Federation Force was developed by Next Level Games, known for the Mario Strikers series, Punch Out Wii, and Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. When MPFF was first shown, I think everyone overlooked this due to virulent rage.

Yoshi_(video_game)

Also it's well-known that Game Freak, the developers of Pokemon, make other titles, but they also made some very notable titles for Nintendo platforms before they made it big. Yoshi and the Japan exclusive Mario&Wario were developed by Game Freak with Satoshi Tajiri in the director's chair. Masuda also did the music for both games.

In terms of actual people, I think people often mistake the roles of certain developers. Aonuma was the face of BotW, but did you know he didn't direct it? Same with Koizumi and Super Mario Odyssey. Obviously the producer of a game has a massive role, but I think a lot of people tend to mix up the two positions.

Mario (director):
Shigeru Miyamoto: SMB, SM64
Takashi Tezuka: The Lost Levels, SMB 3, SMW, SM64
Yoshiaki Koizumi: SM64, SMS (with Kenta Usui), SMG
Koichi Hayashida: SMG2, SM3DL, SM3DW
Kenta Motokura: SM3DW, SMO

The NSMB has three different directors for four games. Not even going into the billion spinoffs. And that's right, the director of Sunshine went on to direct Galaxy. Talk about bouncing back. The director of Skyward Sword also directed Breath of the Wild.
This is a great post.

It's stuff like this that makes me wish we had a better gaming analogue for IMDB. IGDB does exist and has some useful stuff, but the focus of that site is all wrong. I'd love a comprehensive site that was focused on the people behind the games, so that I could find the people responsible for bits of game design, art and music, that I love and look up their other titles.

Erevador

Patrice Désilets is the man behind the Assassin's Creed series and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

However, it didn't start there. First... there was this:
Quack_Attack.jpg

daTRUballin

Home%20Alone%20(U).png

Home Alone on NES. Made by Bethesda.

latest

A_Nightmare_on_Elm_Street_NES_box_art.jpg

latest

All those shitty LJN published games on NES. Made by Rare.

EDIT: Treyarch made a bunch of Spider-Man games before they became a COD factory. Didn’t they also have some involvement with the Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater series in some way? I think they ported one of the games or something.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

jwhit28

The director of Skyward Sword also directed Breath of the Wild.

True, his name is Hidemaro Fujibayashi and he got his start at Capcom. While at Capcom he was lucky enough to be the go between guy on a couple of games they were starting with Nintendo. Eventually he would become the director of those games, The Legend of Zelda Oracle duo.

I still can't believe that Mario Hoops 3 on 3 was developed by Square Enix.

In fact, everything about this description from Wikipedia is amazing:

The game is the first in which Mario and Final Fantasy characters appear together as playable characters, and the second Mario game developed by Square Enix, the first one being Super Mario RPG. It is the first Mario basketball game ever to be released, although characters from the series have appeared in the Nintendo GameCube version of NBA Street V3. 

retroman

Lots of people thought Fatal Fury was just some Street Fighter rip-off, but Takashi Nishiyama (also known as Piston Takashi, Nishiyama and T. Nishiyama), the director of that game, was also the director of the original Street Fighter.

This post made me feel old, because I remember going ‘why are the Spider-Man people making Call of Duty now?’
I remember having similar sentiments with Neversoft, and finding out that the Tony Hawk's people were going to be working on the Guitar Hero series.

Top Bottom