• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"This Is What Superheroes Would Look Like With Realistic Bodies"

MisterHero

If most of these Superheroes existed they would be in supreme shape because of what they can do and the lifestyle they live, flips and twirls burns calories. Characters like Harley I can understand giving more realistic proportions to as she's just a crazy person but Superman? He's meant to be god-like.

He's the Man of Tomorrow, he'd be a marshmallow without bones

/wall-e

593ff1852200002d00c6dc4c.jpeg

Why is this so funny

Slayven

Is BP an strongman by definition? Obviously he is strong, but the guy keeps jumping, climbing, running and generally using a lot of agile movements, which I somehiw doubt he could do if that was his body. I doubt Eddie Hall is also a decathlon top athlete

Before his latest powerup he was strong enough to wrestle a charging rhino to the ground.

After his last power up he beat the shit out of a guy that could go toe to toe with the hulk

Izuna

Banned
Superman and BP both actually look closer to what an actual Strongman would look like.

Functional muscle and Model Muscle are quite different.

I find it kind of odd that everyone is looking at those images and saying they're unfit.

Example:

2017 World's Strongest Man Eddie Hall
eddiehall60uwt.png

I hope you understand that this man deadlifts*

mreddie

Shouldn't they be based more on where they're from? I don't imagine that there are a lot of overweight Wakandans. Or Kryptonians? What an odd message to send. I understand body acceptance, but there's nothing wrong with superheroes being drawn to an ideal athletic body. I mean, some artists definitely go overboard, but still.

n39n9Ed.jpg

norm9

Not sure what the purpose of making superheroes overweight is supposed to do. With the exception of The Blob (I'm no comic expert), shouldn't you be in shape if you're a superhero/villain? Why would anyone want to aspire to be overweight Supes?

mortal

Gold Member
So athletic and muscular body types aren't based in reality apparently?

Also the only examples of "realistic" body types seem to be overweight or full figure, a somewhat bias selection. Which doesn't even make sense for some of these characters whose abilities are based around their psychical prowess.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I mean, I think superhero bodies in movies are incredibly unhealthy and set terrible standards the same way women's bodies in the media have for decades. But this just seems like making superheroes chubby. Why has the US completely lost the ability to find a middle group on anything these days.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I feel like they always miss the mark with this stuff and just make everyone fat.

f0lken

Before his latest powerup he was strong enough to wrestle a charging rhino to the ground.

After his last power up he beat the shit out of a guy that could go toe to toe with the hulk

I wasn´t saying he wasn't strong (he is the Black Panther!!), I was saying that the kind of superhero he is would lead to a whole different kind of body than a classic weightlifter as the poster suggested.

PSqueak

Banned
That black panther is straight up fat, Superman at least was given a strong fat body representative of an actual strongman instead of a "muscles for show, not function" bodybuilder.

But Black Panther? they just fattened him and called it a day.

rtcn63

Superman and BP both actually look closer to what an actual Strongman would look like.

I find it kind of odd that everyone is looking at those images and saying they're unfit.

Example:

eddiehall60uwt.png

Brah, if Eddie Hall dieted down to 15% bodyfat (which is reasonable considering actors/bodybuilders are at like 5%) he'd look closer to model muscle (which is perfectly functional of if you're trying to be a model). Also strongmen also use roids.

LordKasual

Banned

they kind of arent?

The only time your muscles are going to be significantly different is if you ONLY train for mass.

People who gain their muscle mass by actually lifting heavy weights....are actually that strong, because they are actually doing the work.

You can probably train pure strength through repetition, since that's just how muscles work, but it's not like you require a giant layer of fat in order for them to work right...

People who are super strong but have alot of body fat probably only look that way because they base their diets purely around gaining strength instead of closely watching it like the people who are trying to look like Zac Effron

Fury451

Banned
Obviously superhero bodies are exaggerated, and the average joe/jane is not going to maintain a ridiculously ripped physique all day every day for 40 years, but this is kind of absurd. They just added weight. Many people can be in very good shape with 1 hour a day commitments to health/exercise and a good diet.

593ff1852200002d00c6dc4c.jpeg

Why is this so funny

Because it makes Arthur the look like the C-lister he should be
kidding

Aquaman literally lives in the water, his body is probably one of the most realistic in comics- a swimmer looking body.

"this is what super heroes would look like if they were lazy couch potatoes watching super hero movies or otherwise average people who weren't keeping their bodies in shape so they could run around all day fighting bad guys"

Also

Are superheroes meant to be fucking realistic in the first place? NO!

Smh every time i see dumbass clickbaity buzzfeed type articles.

Geist-

Turning superheroes fat is not "realism". Superheroes aren't realistic to begin with, the strongest man in the world isn't lifting buildings.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Urgh not this crap again, I get where they are coming from but their messaging is not only damaging but just flat out missing the point when it comes to super heroes as;

-Being obese is not healthy and we should not be encouraging kids that it's okay to be like that and instead we should be teaching them how have a healthy diet and be more active.

-Superheroes have a thin and muscler body because they have an active physical lifestyle.

Example:

eddiehall60uwt.png

Their image of Superman and Black Panther is just a fat man whereas that guy in the picture is big due to his muscles, big different to the messages that they are trying to present.

rtcn63

I do understand that. The point I was making, that a lot of people seem to be missing, is that having high BMI does not mean unfit.

You can have high BMI and be fit.

You can also diet down and be fit. Honestly, with how much superheroes move around, they'd be skinnier from all that extreme cardio. Unless they can't burn calories well cause of their lit super genetics. (When you don't exactly need effort to lift a planet...)

kewlmyc

This is stupid. Athletic people do exist, and if people were going around doing what superheroes do, they'd probably be more athletic than having a beer belly body.

I'm cool with that Harley though.

rtcn63

This is stupid. Athletic people do exist, and if people were going around doing what superheroes do, they'd probably be more athletic than having a beer belly body.

I'm cool with that Harley though.

Yeah, there are assuredly "natural" athletes that look better than what's on those covers. Ignoring off-season.

Maoyama

Banned
Lets look at Olympic decathletes. This sport mixes strenght, speed, agility, finesse, etc. The olympic champion is 6'1", 190 lbs, so around the size of batman like character.

bac4f0f6115983cb5fe8e7c3e514ac2a.jpg

These guys look like the modern interpreation of greek gods. And if superheroes had reallistic bodies they would look like this dude.

The Harley Quinn looks fine, but I don't know how her regular look is that unrealistic to begin with. She's skinny, but I've known plenty of girls who have her same body type, maybe with smaller breast sizes I guess, but I've seen them with varying sizes for sure.

That Black Panther one, though, lol. I mean, isn't that character like a hardcore sprinter? Those are some of the most toned people on Earth.

rtcn63

Gonna repost:

aQq0837_700b_v1.jpg

15-20% is definitely doable for most men without certain health conditions. Black Panther looks like he's at 35-40% bodyfat.

Top Bottom