• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Japanese magazine news (sponsored by Square Enix)

Eteric Rice

ethelred said:
We know it's not even an RPG at all, it's not epic, and it ditches the multiplayer (which was the one thing that made the original game awesome).

So, yeah. Shit.

So I take it you've played it, right?

We know it's not even an RPG at all, it's not epic, and it ditches the multiplayer (which was the one thing that made the original game awesome).

???

The interviewees repeatedly refer to it as an RPG and it says RPG in the infobox, which is all we have to go by at the moment; "epic" is one of those meaningless wanker words that always makes me want to reach into the monitor and suffocate whoever's using it; and there are plenty of good games without multiplayer

tanasten said:
I want the footage of Crystal Chronicles. The shot looks great, but it's not enough.

Also, I'm very surprised with last Remnant. I like it a lot.

I would like to buy an Xbox360, but it's so fragile that I'm discouraged to buy one, and I also have interest in FFXIII, so I don't know if it's better to wait & see if SE announces FFXIII to the X360 or not.

Let's hope all those games ends being good at least. Art is lovely!

I think if you want ff xiii you will have to get a ps3, but if thats all you want, you are better getting a 360 and wait quite a few years to buy a cheap second hand ps3

peace

ethelred

Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
"epic" is one of those meaningless wanker words that always makes me want to reach into the monitor and suffocate whoever's using it;

It doesn't look very epic to me, and I think we firmly established in the Square Enix press conference thread that a game isn't going to be good without some measure of that.

The interviewees repeatedly refer to it as an RPG and it says RPG in the infobox, which is all we have to go by at the moment;

Everyone who saw the trailer said it looked like Zelda. And being powerful from the start sure makes it sound like an adventure game, not an RPG. Also, again, it doesn't look very epic and that's a pretty key component of being an RPG.

and there are plenty of good games without multiplayer

Maybe, but there aren't any good Crystal Chronicles games without multiplayer.

Eteric Rice

ethelred said:
It doesn't look very epic to me, and I think we firmly established in the Square Enix press conference thread that a game isn't going to be good without some measure of that.

Everyone who saw the trailer said it looked like Zelda. And being powerful from the start sure makes it sound like an adventure game, not an RPG. Also, again, it doesn't look very epic and that's a pretty key component of being an RPG.

Maybe, but there aren't any good Crystal Chronicles games without multiplayer.

1. So you've seen it?

2. There aren't any other CC games besides the GC one.

Seriously, you have nothing to base your conclusion on. It's pretty much just an opinion of your's.

ethelred said:
We know it's not even an RPG at all

Uh ? That's not what I understand from the informations we have.

it's not epic

What the hell ?

and it ditches the multiplayer (which was the one thing that made the original game awesome).

So, yeah. Shit.

Oh please. Should I remind you that, in the first game, the fact that the focus was put on the multi-player finally impacted negatively on the quality and the depth of the single player adventure ? About this new game, all we know is that the focus will be put on the single player adventure, probably with a detrimental affect on the existence of the mutliplayer mode. But how did you come to the absolute conclusion that the Crystal Chronicles team won't be able to positively reverse the formula and make a good, or even fantastic single player mode, that would render literally non-existent the need of an additionnal mutliplayer mode to make the global game a great package ? Seriously ?

ethelred said:
Also, again, it doesn't look very epic and that's a pretty key component of being an RPG.

???

We have ONE screenshot ot FFCC:CB and you call it "non-epic"?

I really hate the word "epic", as it´s always used by some sony-fans to discredit Wii-games or Wii in general. "Look, Wii has no epic games", "Look, FFCC doesnt look epic", i mean, WTH??
Besides the fact that non-epic games are great as well, it´s just annoying.
Noone is running around shouting "Look, PS3 has no fun games", "Look, FF13 doesnt look fun". why cant you just stop the usage of the word "epic" when it means nothing?

Llyranor

What the crap? Why would they remove multiplayer? You can maintain an 'epic' adventure in coop. There is no reason why it should be either or. Give us Secret of Mana, not bloody freaking Dawn of Mana.

Defuser

zoukka said:
Other than XII all FF:s have pretty nice clothings. X had pretty realistic and conventional clothing except for Lulu of course :)

Oh Yeah i still hate Last Remnants art. Everything about it.
FFVIII realistic clothing > X

Dascu

ethelred said:

Also, again, it doesn't look very epic and that's a pretty key component of being an RPG.
Am I the only one thinking ethelred's being a bit sarcastic on this? The entire SquareEnix party thread was about SE giving Nintendo bad support because their games aren't "epic". Could be mistaking, but it sounds like ethelred's just kidding on this one.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
my tag doesnt mean anything now... there are no buckets in FFCC DS and FFCC Wii.

misleading tag total.

neo2046

game release schedule (in Japanese)

Reviews (details in page 1)

surrey / Most Wanted 30

surrey : What did you play most during the Golden Week?
(console)
1. DS
2. PSP
3. PS2
4. Wii
5. PS3

(game)
1. FF12RW
2. Monster Hunter P2
3. Super Paper Mario
4. Rinbow Six Vegas (X360)
5. Persona 3 FES

Most Wanted 30
1. DQ 9
2. FF 13
3. Biohazard 5
4. MGS 4
5. Monster Hunter 3
6. Zelda DS
7. DQ Swords
8. Super Robo Taisen OG2
9. Hot Shot Golf 5
10. DMC 4

11. Smash Bros Brawl
12. Lost Odyssey
13. Animal Crossing Wii
14. FF vs 13
15. Mario Galaxy
16. CC FF7
17. Wonderful World
18. GT5
19. Trusty Bell
20. FF2 (PSP)

21. Layton Prof 2
22. Halo 3
23. Biohazard UC
26. White Knight Story
27. Sengoku Samurai 2 HEROES
28. Biohazard 4 Wii
29. Itadaki Street DS
30. FF Tactics 2

Kafel

Banned
neo2046 said:
(game)
1. FF12RW
2. Monster Hunter P2
3. Super Paper Mario
4. Rainbow Six Vegas (X360)
5. Persona 3 FES

With such clues, if japanese gamers notice that there are actually good games on X360 it will be the beginning of the end for Sony.

otthon

Banned
I know Most Wanted lists are pretty much useless, but it seems to be one Top Ten chart Nintendo can never dominate.

So the main theme of Super Smash Bros. Brawl is from Nobuo Uematsu, while the main theme of a proper Final Fantasy fighting game is from Takeharu Ishimoto. Huh.
Amir0x said:
wait, they ditched multiplayer from FF:CC Wii? Hahahahahaha
Sounds like DS gets the real Crystal Chronicles successor, and the Wii gets something completely different that they couldn't even be assed to come up with another subseries name for.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Eteric Rice said:
Wait, didn't they remove Wi-Fi from the DS version, and not the Wii version?

Got damn this shit is confusing, now.

WiFi was never actually confirmed for the Wii title.
It doesnt look like the Wii game is even going to have a robust multiplayer experience. It's "concentrating primarily on solo play and action" - it doesnt mean it WONT have multiplay, it just means its not the games main focus anymore.

The DS Ring of Fates is the multiplayer sequal to FFCC for GC... now, taking WIFI out of THAT and Dragon Quest... must simply mean Nintendos online service sucks :(

Krowley

The hinting at a single player focus and a completly different kind of game has me itching to hear more about CC wii. Hopefully we will see more today.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
New DQIX info
http://www.siliconera.com/index.php/2007/05/16/a-look-at-dragon-quest-ix/

quoted the most important part:

One of the interesting features is Dragon Quest IX has online multiplayer where you can take your customized hero into an adventure with up to four other players. If your party encounters an enemy you switch over to the standard turn based fighting mode and each player chooses their action from a menu. It’s just like single player combat, except you have to wait for everyone to input their moves.

Apparently, they took that info directly from Llv5 website: http://www.level5.co.jp/index.html

edit: found the link: http://www.level5.co.jp/products/dq9/200705.html

JCX

So basically, the multiplayer in DQ9 is the same as the multplayer in FF9, except you can use custom characters?

lame

JCX9 said:
So basically, the multiplayer in DQ9 is the same as the multplayer in FF9, except you can use custom characters?

lame

Um, FF9 wasn't online. Instant fail.

Secondly, each player controls their own avatar outside of battle. Also unlike FF9.

ivysaur12

Banned
JCX9 said:

lame

But FF9 wasn't online... And in DQ9, all the characters are on the map doing different things and are in different places.

EDIT: BEATEN! DAMN!

Vic

I just hope that it's possible to have more than one battle going on at the same time and that friends can join an on-going fight. *pray*

JCX

Vyse The Legend said:
Um, FF9 wasn't online. Instant fail.

Secondly, each player controls their own avatar outside of battle. Also unlike FF9.

I was referring to the actual combat itself. Personally, it seems boring that battles will be online, multiplayer, and turned based. Hopefully there is an online PvP mode so you can face another person's custom character ( or maybe that has already been announced and I haven't read about it yet)

duckroll

Vic said:

Yeah it just says the same old generic shit about "Network Play via wireless communication" which is what they've been saying since the start. People used to take "network play" to mean confirmation of online, but that's not the case.

Vic

duckroll said:
Yeah it just says the same old generic shit about "Network Play via wireless communication" which is what they've been saying since the start. People used to take "network play" to mean confirmation of online, but that's not the case.
faces.gif

Dammit :(

ivysaur12

Banned
duckroll said:

:(

Top Bottom