• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Japanese magazine news (sponsored by Square Enix)

Terrell

Amir0x said:
wait, they ditched multiplayer from FF:CC Wii? Hahahahahaha
Ummm... from what I read, they're focusing on a single-player experience (rightfully so, the last game couldn't be played enjoyably without another person), not cutting the multiplayer mode out entirely. I mean, didn't they announce this game will go online for multiplayer already? Like, when they first announced it?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Amir0x said:
wait, they ditched multiplayer from FF:CC Wii? Hahahahahaha
ok, i wanna clear a few things up.
the speculation:
CB wont have multiplayer because they're focusing on the single player aspect.
this game is not an RPG
this game is not "epic"

the facts:
Squeenix has neither confirmed nor denied that multiplayer is out of CB. they have only stated their direction with the title.
RoF is without online, possibly due to lack of decent voice communication or lag issues, however, local network play is still a major aspect.
the statement saying that CB would be online has still not been revoked.

how i see it, there will be co-op play in the Wii version via WiFi. however, there will be more focus on the single player aspect of the game. also, expect the battle system to work much like FFCC on the gamecube, so action RPG style. also, i think that a kid flying through the air and great airship battles are pretty epic, wouldn't u think so?

Matix

34851120070516_124310_2_big.jpg

34851120070516_124311_3_big.jpg

Crisis Core continues to look ace, hopefully it plays even better.

134804_15.jpg

134804_10.jpg

Wow, looks like their actually taking the PowerStone route (instead of Smash Bros. gameplay style). Heh, this might actually turn out decent.

Tristam

N-1179308409.jpg

"TI: Ahhhhh, I see. In terms of the hair [Laughs], what we discussed before in how I want to portray the hero, I wanted more of a world-weary weather-beaten image, my image was not to design a hero with curly hair, but to make it appear a little disheveled because it's supposed to be a little messy so that it appears that he's been through a lot of stuff and wanted to convey a rugged look for the hero. I want to write an exhilarating tale of this great hero set against sweeping blue skies, who has in his past gone around adventuring, so that's what I had in mind."

Holy smokes, that's Japan's idea of "rugged?"

Anyways, I'm really hoping that they do have Wi-Fi multiplayer in this game; otherwise it's hype minus one million.

Eteric Rice

Tristam said:
N-1179308409.jpg

"TI: Ahhhhh, I see. In terms of the hair [Laughs], what we discussed before in how I want to portray the hero, I wanted more of a world-weary weather-beaten image, my image was not to design a hero with curly hair, but to make it appear a little disheveled because it's supposed to be a little messy so that it appears that he's been through a lot of stuff and wanted to convey a rugged look for the hero. I want to write an exhilarating tale of this great hero set against sweeping blue skies, who has in his past gone around adventuring, so that's what I had in mind."

Anyways, I'm really hoping that they do have Wi-Fi multiplayer in this game; otherwise it's hype minus one million.

Not to mention he seems kinda short. :p

Tristam said:
N-1179308409.jpg

actually that's Square-Enix's idea of rugged

CrisKre

Well, Im intrigued about FFCCWii.

Im a fan of the original one, partly because of the combined spell casting and great boss battles. I wonder whether it retains any of those aspects. I also hope it remains fresh in its simplicity like the GC version, probably with the heroe just going to diferent regions of the world in serch for the power of the crystals, without overly complicating the story. Oh, and hopefully the music is as good as the first version as well, though for the looks of it i doubt it will retain the celtic feel (this design doesnt seem to fit it).

Im interested, want to know more, and yeah, technically this does seem to look very pleasing (if different than what i had in mind).

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is known for being a multiplayer experience, and when the DS version was announced many people made the assumption that the online function of the system would be utilized, and it appears that this isn't the case. Were people just assuming that Wi-Fi would be a focus, or were there actually plans to support the function in the project?

Kamiyama: We're treading on pretty confidential waters here (laughs). There is a Wi-Fi feature in Crystal Chronicles DS, but we're not ready to reveal it yet. But just for you, we'll mention that. We planned the full multiplayer to support Wi-Fi, but the dilemma that we faced with Wi-Fi was location. The play styles between local, where you're face-to-face with your partners, and Wi-Fi, where you're miles away, are completely different. We focused on local wireless so you could be with your friends and interact with them. There are many actions in the multiplayer where, for example, you'll need to carry another person on your back, and it's very difficult to communicate with the other players to do that over Wi-Fi. There's also the issue of lag and we wanted the experience to be as seamless as possible. There is a Wi-Fi feature, but nothing to announce yet.

So, there is the final verdict on online play for FFCCROF.
The answer? NO. Youll prolly just trade the items you make.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/789/789057p1.html
A lot more there. Probably enough to split into FFCCROF and FFCCCB questions and make a new Crystal Chronicles thread ::shrug:: just dont feel like doing it myself.

Its the same roundtable as the 1up one, but its got some new questions in it.
One could prolly compare both articles and get all the answers out of it ::shrug::

ivysaur12

Banned
The only point that they could have would be the communication aspect. Pokemon did it seemlessly, but let's face it, battling and trading doesn't require a lot of processor power. I wonder if RoF could do it if they really wanted to?

Eteric Rice

ivysaur12 said:
The only point that they could have would be the communication aspect. Pokemon did it seemlessly, but let's face it, battling and trading doesn't require a lot of processor power. I wonder if RoF could do it if they really wanted to?

I imagine they could. Hell, Animal Crossing has it where friends can play with you. Dragon Quest IX will be the same way.

ivysaur12

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
I imagine they could. Hell, Animal Crossing has it where friends can play with you. Dragon Quest IX will be the same way.

Well, I mean voice chat wise. And we don't know about DQIX online yet, that's still up in the air, I believe.

Eteric Rice

ivysaur12 said:
Well, I mean voice chat wise. And we don't know about DQIX online yet, that's still up in the air, I believe.

Hm?...

http://www.siliconera.com/index.php/2007/05/16/a-look-at-dragon-quest-ix/

One of the interesting features is Dragon Quest IX has online multiplayer where you can take your customized hero into an adventure with up to four other players. If your party encounters an enemy you switch over to the standard turn based fighting mode and each player chooses their action from a menu. It’s just like single player combat, except you have to wait for everyone to input their moves.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Eteric Rice said:
duckroll and BSY-sen already cleared that up, they must've misinterpreted "wireless co-op" as online play. Though it's pretty dumb of them since in December they said there will no online because there'd be way too much server usage. This game looks leaps better than MKDS or MPH, so it's probably hard enough to implement it as it is.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Tristam said:
N-1179308409.jpg

Not to sound stupid, but who is that?

Quazar

jvalioli said:
Main character of FFCC Wii, I think.

He looks a little different compared to the E3 trailer.

Oh, wow. I skimmed past picture cause I thought someone was using it as a joke or something. What a shitty main character.

JDSN

Banned
I think the FFCC picture is in a weird angle and makes the character looks like a small fat kid, maybe he is taller.

I just hope that he si wearing clothes under that coat, but this is SE so I doubt it.

Seriously though where the **** is this trailer? Are you telling me that in the land of ****ing ninjas not a single person got some quick off-screen footage? Or hell, why the **** hasn't Square itself put it out there? I'm pissed now.

PolyGone

Banned
Quazar said:
I think the character looks like shit. Nothing much to explain. :)

Troll translator:

"It looks surprisingly cool but since its on a Nintendo system I'll say it looks like shit."

(sheds a bitter tear)

Quazar

PolyGone said:
Troll translator:

"It looks surprisingly cool but since its on a Nintendo system I'll say it looks like shit."

(sheds a bitter tear)

Nice bait(Actually shittier than the character), I'm sorry my comment makes you cry. :)

neo2046

new robot action game from D3's simple DS series will be released at July 26
it is a Assault Suits Valken / Cybernator clone
don't anticipate too much since it is just one of the simple DS series
but after I see the screens, I really wish Square to make Front Mission gunhazard 2 on DS or PSP :D

http://www.d3p.co.jp/s_ds/s_ds_018.html
l_a-1.jpg
l_a-2.jpg
l_a-3.jpg

l_b-1.jpg
l_b-2.jpg
l_b-3.jpg

l_c-1.jpg
l_c-2.jpg
l_c-3.jpg

i think we really can consider it as a Cybernator clone, very interesting and also cheap price...

maybe i will buy, i already want the Drift Rally from Simple DS Series...

jarrod

Banned
I've sort of lost track of the Simple DS stuff, just remember the initial games being simple board/puzzle/sports stuff.... anything else interesting?

Aeris130

I hope it plays similar to Valken/Leynos. I don't mind the bland graphics (the forest level looks good though) but gameplay is where V/L shines.

And why do they need those N64 models? Sprites are more then enough in this case.

jarrod

Banned
It's actually probably cheaper to do low poly cellshaded models than spritework framed animation. Looks good either way I think... who's making this game then?

I wonder if Sandlot has any Simple DS games in the works?

duckroll

Unfortunately this game is from Rideon. The same developers of Maid and Machine Gun, which was a pretty poor action game. I love trying out weird stuff from the Simple series, but Rideon isn't one of the better developers for them.

psy18

neo2046 said:
new robot action game from D3's simple DS series will be released at July 26
it is a Assault Suits Valken / Cybernator clone
don't anticipate too much since it is just one of the simple DS series
but after I see the screens, I really wish Square to make Front Mission gunhazard 2 on DS or PSP :D

*pics*

Nice. Is this a remake or completely new?
Seeing this game made me hope for Konami to make Metal Warriors 2.

Top Bottom